Home to all current Forum Games.
Jibjib
Game Master

Stargate 1895 - Mission 2

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:31 am

Stargate 1895

Mission 2: Operation Showtime
Explorers,

One of our eminent scientists has been reading through the notes left behind by the late Dr. Macfarlane, and has found something quite interesting. Apparently, there was an unsuccessful attempt to activate the quoit several days before the kidnapping of Lord Conway and his daughter. Macfarlane reports that after the pool was created, there was a 'great disturbance of air' and then the quoit immediately shut down.

Of late, around the town of Harrogate, near to the Conway mansion, a lot of livestock has been found torn apart and eaten. There is the usual talk of beasts let loose from the private collections of game hunters and of course the eminent possibility of a hoax, but the OES has deemed it worthy of investigation.

Your objective is to investigate any sightings and recover any creature you find, alive for study if at all possible.

Good luck,

Mycroft

Explorer Team Camden:

Turn 0

Your investigations in the town of Harrogate lead you to enter an underground waterway used to collect the town's famous spa waters. As you enter, you hear a sharp metallic crack and an animalistic roar of pain. In the centre of the chamber a large green cat, roughly 10 feet long, with two tails and a pair of large antlers. Its paws are bound and two human sized figures stand over it, but they are anything but human, with bright orange skin and pointed leathery protrusions from their chins. They appear hunched with a large protruberance from the back of their necks, and both carry long loops of wire and a metal baton. Neither one notices you.
Last edited by Jibjib on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 am

Does crouching or laying down (though it might cost movement) improve your aim when shooting?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 am

This is a tag...it is only a tag...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 am

Also, could you also indicate what "job" everyone is beside their name...soldier, scientist, etc...please and thank you....this will determine some of my reactions...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 am

Well, Leke is a scientist but also a Royal Naval Officer pulled out of retirement.

Also, I suggest everyone 'take cover' I know it is not British to hide...but these fellows are likely uncultured savages...so I doubt they will play by the rules...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 am

Would you be willing to edit the character sheets for team members into a spoiler in the initial post for the mission?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Also, do I have to IC spend time sniffing to smell the tang of Ozone...or essentially the release of electrical arcs?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 pm

WearsHats wrote:Jack is startled. Aliens! He thought he'd been prepared for the possibility, but the reality was overwhelming. His mind flooded with questions, most of which were not useful in the moment. Unless, of course, this was some kind of escaped circus act. Lion tamers and costumes would make more sense. He'd never heard of a lion that big, though. Who were they, and what were they doing? Probably best not to get their attention just yet. It was clear enough that they were trying to control the beast, but to what end?

He studied them and looked about the room, trying to find any information that might help him get a grasp on the situation.

(Short version: roll perception check.)
BadgeAddict wrote:Jones levels his rifle at the large cat and weird non-human looking things. He tries and succeeds in not letting the shock of the strangeness show on his face to the others. For now, he keeps his words to himself and simply readies his gun in case anything happens.

(Ready an action - On aggression or movement toward himself or the others, Fire at closest person)
Quarg wrote: The Captain moves more from experience than anything. He taps the two standing broadly out on their shoulders and points to take cover behind the pillars. To Jones he wispers..."Take cover you fool we don't know what their armed with"

He then steps behind the pillar with the Reverend. "I would like your thoughts sir...I am thinking you and Woodard can see if we can parley with these two while I and Jones move around and flank them if they prove to be hostile to Her Majesty's representatives."
BadgeAddict wrote:Shocked to see that he had made a rookie mistake when faced against such an strange foe, Jones quickly gathers himself together and silently ducks behind the nearest pillar. He crouches and keeps his weapon at the ready.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Jibjib
Game Master

Re: Stargate 1895 - Mission 2

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:27 pm

(Top to bottom the icons are Danielson, Jones, Leke and Woodward).

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:23 pm

William stared at the sight in front of them. He'd seen some strange creatures in his time, but nothing like this. Whatever it is, that thing is one hell of a trophy.

He whispers to the others "Men, I'm the best shot here and I'm not sure Conway would want me handling inter-species relations anyway. I reckon Doc Limey and the Rev approach them, the Redcoat flanks them and I'll draw a bead and cover you."
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 pm

(Pending the results of the perception check...)

It seemed they had a plan. Jack would try to talk to them, see what was going on, and try to come to a nonviolent understanding. If that failed, the others would cover him with their firearms. Hopefully, their skill would be enough to take on the beast, if it came to it. Jack was pretty good at hand-to-hand fighting, but found he was not eager to go hand-to-claw.

He nodded to the others and stepped forward. "Excuse me, gentlemen. May I ask what you're doing here? If I'm not mistaken, you're rather far from home."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

Turn 1

At DanielsonÔÇÖs approach, the first of the two creatures grabs the loop of wire from its belt and makes as if ready to throw the dart you see attached to the end, but the other punches him in the chest and turns to you, smiling:
Greetings friends. I am Kellan, of the Jandian Federation, and this is North. Weve come to your charming planet to contain this dangerous beast.
Kellan removes one of his leather gloves and extends a bright orange hand towards Danielson.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 am

Jones steps forward from behind the pillar, searching the aliens face for any aggression that he may be hiding, but he lowers the tip of his gun away from them, still keeping it ready, but not aimed directly at them. Maintaining a stern look on his face, Jones speaks slowly. "We need you to come with us, our government has some questions for you. Contain your pet or we will be forced to take matters into our own hands."

(Persuasion: 5) - (Fighting: 8, toughness: 6) (Jones is attempting to intimidate the aliens)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 am

"... You speak English. That's... convenient." Jack hesitantly shakes Kellan's hand, feeling rather surreal. "Tell me. Just how and when did this creature get here, and how did you know about it?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:31 am

His Lordship,( who right now has two people to thrash on his own team because they seem not how to address their betters with more proper respect) decides to listen and quietly move 'down' on the map to the far pillar. If worse comes to worse he can jump into the stream, cross and flank the buggers if the Reverend isn't able to make them see the light.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Woodward will stay crouched and move to a position where he can have line of sight on the beast and second alien also, and closely watch the second alien for any sign of hostility.
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 am

Sorry for the delay in the post for this mission, the internet's been on and off because we got struck by lightning again last night, (sending this from a coffee shop). Post should be up around midnight, if not, early tomorrow morning.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Turn 2

Kellan looks visibly shaken at Jones' quiet menace, and even North backs down somewhat. Kellan hesitates and pressed a small button on his leather tunic before shaking Danielson's hand. He smiles, almost overly cheerily and brightly.

"Err, no need for that old man, we're just passing through. The charlex came here a few months back from our world through the Stargate with its mate and we've been hunting the pair of them ever since, without much luck. They hide so damn well you see. North, contact the others upstairs and see if they've found anything."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 am

"Well, then, it seems we're here for the same thing. Maybe we can work together. You know the creature; we know this world."

Jack did his best not to appear shaken by his first alien contact. He mentally filed away the location of the button that had been pressed; he could guess its purpose, if not its exact function. Right now, though, he wanted to focus on getting Kellan's trust. If they could work together, they'd have an easier time getting the second creature. That is, assuming Kellan was telling the truth. If he wasn't, Jack wanted to learn more about the aliens, and to keep an eye on them. Establishing friendly relations was the best way to do that, too.

(OOC: I'll be on the road today and tomorrow. I'll check in when I can, but feel free to autopilot as necessary.)

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 am

Jones squints his eyes and glares at the strange men. "You say you came through this....Stargate, and how long ago might that have been? Otherwise, we'll need you and this...(He looks at the large cat briefly) thing to come with us, in order to answer some questions."

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Woodward inhaled nervously. Jeez, another one of these beasts on the loose, and more of the aliens to boot. Hide so damn well... perhaps they utilise some form of camouflage. Hell, he'd tracked a single man-eating Bengal for 3 weeks through the forests of the Eastern Ghats - he was certainly up to the challenge. Any maybe he could bag a trophy before the aliens find it...

Woodward will make a search check (using Perception) to see if he can see any sign or tracks in the immediate area of the other beast that is on the loose.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Leke listened and things sounded worse and worse. How long had the damn gate been open? And what had that fool archeologist been up to?

Leke attempts to decern if he can either jump or ford the stream quickly if needed.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 am

Turn 4

Woodward scans for any signs of another creature, noting that a large double door on the other side of the room has been smashed open; it looks unlike the Jandians could have done this, more likely something of the size of the alien creature on the floor. Steps lead up, and there is a faint hint of moonlight filtering in.

Leke takes a look at the stream flowing through the cavern to discern whether he could jump over it. It is a fair distance, and he thinks that with a decent run up, he could probably make it across, if not most of the way; it is a good four feet down into the stream which he would have to climb to get out the other side if he failed. At a standing jump however, he would probably not make it.

As North mutters quietly into a strange metal device set into the leather on his wrist, that you surmise is some kind of wireless telephone, Jones and Danielson continue their talk with Kellan.

"We arrived here a little over a week ago; we were chasing the beasts across another world in our transport ship, and the Gate activated without warning. The beasts ran through so we activated our camouflage cloak and followed them here, and we've been searching since then."

He turns to Jones:

"Look, I can tell you're a fine and dedicated soldier, but the truth is, our government, the one we work for, forbids us from interacting with the indigenous populations of the planets we visit, so if we could avoid laying down a paper trail until after we're gone, we can capture the beasts, take them away and be out of your hair in a matter of hours, would that be an acceptable compromise?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:04 am

Jones lets out a long sigh, who knew that aliens could be idiots too. He levels with the small orange alien and tries to speak slowly so that it understands "I don't think you understand what I'm saying, there is no way for you to go back through the...circle, without going through us. That can either be done peacefully...or with force." (As he speaks the last part (..or with force), his lips peel back to show his teeth and he lets out a deep chuckle that sounds very dark and malicious) (Jones Thoughts: "It has been so long since I've been able to kill something....I hope this ugly orange thing does something stupid so i can shoot it.")

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 am

"Mr. Jones, I believe we're better off working with these, erm, people. They know a lot more about these creatures than we do. (And if we work with them, we'll have an easier time keeping an eye on them...)

Kellan, be assured that our contact will be kept classified. Our government doesn't want word getting out, either. To that end, I suggest you stick with us so as to minimize interaction with the inhabitants of the area. "

► Show Spoiler