Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Re: Stargate 1895 - Game Thread

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Quarg wrote:And I think a 'tool kit' for the scientists would be of value...
JibJib is open to suggestions. He accepted my notebook as an RP/utility item. Though I personally think "tool kit" is a little too generic. Something like field microscope or chemical testing kit would be more appropriate.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Quarg wrote:Well, First what is the price of a webley revolver?
And I think a 'tool kit' for the scientists would be of value...
Also what would the price be for a Winchester 1895? 0.303 British?
I don't think Jib has rules yet for a revolver, and I agree with the tool kit, or similar.

I would say the Winchester 1895 would be the same price and stats as the Lee-Enfield (I was considering taking a Winchester 1895 for my hunter, but the Lee-Enfield has better range and is more British, so suits my character) and the Lee-Enfield already shoots .303 cartridges.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:
Quarg wrote:And I think a 'tool kit' for the scientists would be of value...
JibJib is open to suggestions. He accepted my notebook as an RP/utility item. Though I personally think "tool kit" is a little too generic. Something like field microscope or chemical testing kit would be more appropriate.
A chemical test kit in 1895? I think Mr. Holmes brother would be using quite frequently...
And a tool kit would consist of tools, wrenches, dividers, a hammer, a pry bar, glass cutter...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 pm

yes, not to the extent of modern test kits but science did have some understanding of chemicals back then. And my point was scientist is a generic term and rather than a generic, let players choose something closer to their specialization.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:yes, not to the extent of modern test kits but science did have some understanding of chemicals back then. And my point was scientist is a generic term and rather than a generic, let players choose something closer to their specialization.
Quite a bit of knowledge actually, but most 19th century laboratory equipment tended to be either fragile or overly heavy...
Even today most chemical test kits are one offs designed for pre-determined attribute testing. More flexible technologies tend to be transportable but not very weildy...more like a Gatling gun than a modern machine gun.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Since the scientists get a bonus to Craft-Invention, a toolkit that contained things like adjustable spanners, screwdrivers, etc. would be useful for those of a more technological bent. Lugging a microscope isn't all that feasible for my biologist, but a dissecting kit, notebook, etc. would be in character.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Just for the hell of it I compiled a quick comparison of characters listing class and top 2 skills

Chuck/ Thomas Stone/criminal/stealth, agility
Nolandking/Benivollis/clergy/persuasion, perception
Spider/prof. Wellford/Scientist/education(biology), craft(invention)
Synch/Woodward/hunter/shooting, perception
Pat/Miller/soldier/fighting, shooting
Hats/Danielson/clergy/education(comparative religion), fighting (pugilism)
Badge/jones/soldier/fighting, toughness
Quarg/leke/scientist/education(exotic weaponry), craft

it is an all around good mix, though perhaps a bit light on the combat side. The only question now is how we divide up the teams and which one goes on the first mission. I don't think who is on which team matters much aside from we don't want combatants too heavily loaded on one team.

Btw wearshats, I noticed that your perception was 1 higher than it should since you listed familiar as +1 instead of +0 (but only for that skill)
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks, Chuck. I'd originally had Perception as trained, but shuffled things around. Thought I'd fixed it, but I guess not. Good catch. Fixed now.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:39 pm

I could push Leke's shooting ability up which would make sense in his background...If any of you think that it would be an advantage...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 am

Sorry sorry, got stuck at work :/ will try and get on this tonight

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 am

Sorry guys, missed out the Webley completely! It's on there now, (costs 1 point).

Might I suggest splitting the teams thus:

HME Kensington - Wellford, Miller, Stone and de Benevollis
HME Camden - Danielson, Woodward, Jones and Leke

From my spreadsheet that seems to spread combat abilities about to the best success, although of course you guys are free to pick teams of your own choice :)

I can either flip a coin to decided which team goes to which mission, or you can choose; one is the Rescue Mission for Lord Conway and his daughter, the other is a Recovery mission for an alien creature that has escaped to Earth

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers,

Jib

PS No worries nikohl, chances are I've balanced this horribly and you'll be sent in on one of the first missions as backup anyway :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:52 am

Will there be any structure as to who is in charge of a group? or will that also be decided amongst ourselves?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 am

Does anyone really have to be in charge?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 am

I toyed with the idea of putting the military members in formal charge as in the Stargate series, but I think I'll just leave it as everybody is equal :)

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 am

WearsHats wrote:Does anyone really have to be in charge?
We are English...there is always someone in charge...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:19 am

^exactly

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 am

Jib,
Did you consider my question on the winchester?

Also how much information do you want on the tool bag idea...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:27 am

One tick, I'll give it a read through :)

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:49 am

I'd say the Winchester will cost the same as the Lee Enfield, and you can use the stock as a melee weapon instead of the bayonet, if it fits better with the theme, is that any good?

Also with toolkits, I'm gonna rule that you'll have packs between the party containing the equivalent of a DnD adventurer's kit, so candles, matches, rope, some tools like a crowbar etc, (nothing that would grant a stat advantage, but it would avoid spending points that could be spent on other things :) ).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 am

Non bayonetted rifle would work well for my guy. I could see him being placed on either team as the biologist, either to secure and study the alien, or to better cope with whatever lifeforms are encountered while searching for Lord and lady.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:54 am

Question...could each "job" have a certain item that they automatically get? this way spending the points on what we need/want wouldn't hurt so bad

Soldier = Armor or weapon ("free")
Scientist = ?
Criminal = ?
Clergy = ?

I ask this because...As a soldier..getting 3 points...doesn't seem like enough to provide....the gear that a soldier would already...start with...

I say this because...and only because...i would really like to have medium armor (combat fatigues) as standard gear and then be able to pay 1 for the sabre and 2 for a handgun of some sort.

further question, could these exp points that you give out be used to buy equipment...or only for stats and skills?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Non bayonetted rifle would work well for my guy. I could see him being placed on either team as the biologist, either to secure and study the alien, or to better cope with whatever lifeforms are encountered while searching for Lord and lady.
Hmm...She would be The Honorable Felicity not Lady Felicity as her father is only a Lord...
However if he is the younger son of a higher ranking peer then she is just Miss Felicity...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 am

Iron Jones Sample Conversation: Words in () define inner thoughts

Non-Combat
Taking the lead so as not to let any of the scientists get hurt, Jones pokes his head around the side of the wall and quickly scans the room. Seeing nothing, he runs over to a nearby pillar for cover and resumes his scanning. When the way is clear, he waves for one of the scientists to quickly follow him. ("Ugh, I didn't realize this job was going to have me babysitting a bunch of dainty scientists").

Combat: (assuming he has a handgun)
As Iron peers around the corner, he sees a patrol of two oddly dressed men coming in their direction. He quickly makes hand motions that tell the others to hush and then holds up two fingers. Waving his hand, he tells the others to duck lower and then silently removes his sabre from its sheathe. Taking another quick look around the corner, he counts their pace and then ducks back behind the wall, counting under his breathe. As the two men round the corner, he lunges at the closest one, sweeping his sabre....

Discovery:
Iron wrinkled his brow as he stared at the pulsing green light. ("What the hell is this, I better shoot it just in case.")

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:38 am

It does kind of seem like any facility with enough resources to power the gate would have the resources to equip us. I'd been thinking that, myself. But these things (RPG rules in particular) don't always make sense. And level 1 characters don't always get very much.

I'm also trying to figure out for myself whether it's okay for a clergyman to use a gun. I've kind of got the old rules stuck in my head - he can use a weapon, as long as it's not edged or piercing. Which would disqualify a gun or a sword, but not a club or a staff. That doesn't have to apply to anyone else who picks clergy, of course. We could easily be from different orders. But does it make sense, and would it be too much trouble?

► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:54 am

With regard to the equipment situation, after some thought it does seem better to differentiate between the classes somewhat, either by having different amounts of points or by granting different classes base items, which do you guys think would work better? Glad i said that this was a test run now ;)