Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Stargate 1895 - Game Thread

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 am

I've been strongarmed into this by spiderwrangler, more details may be forthcoming if character sheet is considered to be "incomplete". I assume that if i did anything incorrectly that i will be told.

Name: Tom "Iron" Jones
Social Class: Working
Background: Soldier
Stats
(4) Strength
(2) Dexterity
(2) Intelligence
(3) Spirit

Skills
(4) Agility (Familiar)
(3) Craft (Untrained)
(9) Fighting (Trained)
(3) Education (Untrained)
(5) Perception (Familiar)
(5) Persuasion (Untrained)
(5) Shooting (Familiar)
(5) Speed (Untrained)
(4) Stealth (Untrained)
(8) Toughness (Trained)

Equipment:
Light Armor, Lee-Enfield (.303, 10 round mag, Repeating Rifle)

Back-story:
Iron Jones joined the military at the young age of 16 by lying about his age. Luckily for him, the lie wasn't a difficult one as his size and stature was such that he already looked well over 20. He rose quickly through the ranks of of his unit over the following years until some of the military elite not only noticed him, but elevated him to a position within the military that could specifically use his specific talents. Jones was unique as he was able to ignore the gunfire and bursting bombs that were happening all around him and focus on his mission. He became known for his expertise in extraction missions which involved running into extremely dangerous circumstances and recovering the "cargo".

This extraction experience got him noticed and placed onto a team that would both explore the unknown as well as potentially save a hostage in a dangerous situation.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 am

Works for me. But who gets to be SG-1 and who has to be SG-2?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 am

right now we're sitting at ~8 players....i would think we could all play in the same game, and, given the chaos of some peoples schedule could possibly be better as there would always be someone doing something....

I will volunteer to back out though, giving you 7 players if need be.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 am

heh, splitting into teams. I like the idea. Although we may end up a bit like the GAL. But I still like it.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:45 am

actually...maybe this is what was meant by splitting into teams...but, yeah, you could have it as teams to go through the stargate....and technically two teams could go to two different worlds...or whatever...could be cool.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 am

Tags for possible character if desired...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:02 am

By SG-1 rules, each SG team is 4. So if we're ~8 players, two teams would work perfectly.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 am

I was thinking instead of having numbers, we could name teams after London Boroughs or something? Let's face it, nobody wants to be SG-2 :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:08 am

hah...very true jib...im not really caring what team names are...i just want to kill something and steal their infinitely better weapon for myself.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:51 am

Jibjib wrote:I was thinking instead of having numbers, we could name teams after London Boroughs or something? Let's face it, nobody wants to be SG-2 :P
From the backstory, it's called a 'quoit, it doesn't seem that it is referred to as a 'star gate' other than in the title, so SG-# wouldn't fit.
Quoit meaning ring?
Ring Teams?

If named after boroughs of London...?
Ring Team - Camden
Ring Team - Westminster, etc, etc?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:06 am

I was gonna go for Explorer Team - X, but that sounds good :)

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 am

Given the era, might i suggest:

Her Majesties Royal Exploration - Team-1, Team-2

Abv - HMRE T1, HMRE T2, etc

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 am

Love it :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 am

Someone still has to be Team 2. :(
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:47 am

Nah, we'll go for HMRE Team - Codename Kensington and HMRE Team - Codename Camden or somesuch :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 am

actually, an amendment, Her Majesties Royal Exploration Forces (HMREF), as opposed to Team....Team doesn't sound very British.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 am

Or even just Her Maj's Expedition

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 am

Could work, i realized just now i was spelling Majesty's incorrectly

Her Majesty's Research & Reconnaissance

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:05 am

Vicki's Kickass Exploration Squad
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Name: Captain James "Yellow Leaf" Churchill Leke (12th Earl of Scarsdale)
Social Class: Gentry
Background: Currently Scientist ÔÇô Formerly Solider
Stats
(2) Strength
(3) Dexterity
(3) Intelligence
(3) Sprit
Skills
(5) Agility (Untrained)
(9) Craft (Trained)
(5) Fighting (Familiar)
(7) Education (Untrained)
(10) Exotic Weaponry (Education Specialty)
(5) Perception (Untrained)
(7) Persuasion (Familiar)
(6) Shooting (Familiar)
(4) Speed (Untrained)
(5) Stealth (Untrained)
(6) Toughness (Trained)

The CaptainÔÇÖs presence is something of an annoyance for Mycroft Holmes as he was foisted by the Home Office to appease various ÔÇÿconcernedÔÇÖ members of Parliament. (Many with connections to Lord Conway), who donÔÇÖt trust the government is doing all it can to recover Lord Conway and his daughter Felicity. Since James Leke is the LordÔÇÖs nephew by marriage and still a decorated Naval Officer he seemed a good candidate to appease the "Conway" block.

Captain James Leke has the singular definition of being one of the most controversial Naval officers of his generation. Born as the second son of the 11th Earl of Scarsdale, James followed the traditional path for second sons and went to Eaton, then to Oxford. However, due to some rather poor antics on his part, James was sent to ÔÇÿassistÔÇÖ in organizing the founding of the Royal Naval College in Greenwich. Due to some oddities of the whole business, Leke found himself given an ÔÇÿtemporaryÔÇÖ officers commission to assist in the ÔÇÿsecuringÔÇÖ the work of one D. M. Medford of Chicago (who was developing a 'dynamite weapon for the Americans). Lieutenant Leke, though completely useless at securing the plans himself, was instrumental in supporting the Foreign OfficeÔÇÖs man on the scene and determining the key elements of the weapon; allowing the plans to be returned quickly without anyone noticing their absence. For his assistance and leadership, his Naval commission became permanent. Leke gained the favor of Admiral Fisher, who helped the young man shoot up the ranks rather rapidly, being a Commander in the ÔÇÿNile River FleetÔÇÖ during the Mahdist War. Commander Leke was second in command of the flotilla used by Sir Garnet Wolseley in the Nile Expedition to relieve Khartorum.

He was personally in command of a ÔÇÿRumsay BoatÔÇÖ which had been looked at as a fast means of transport into shallow waters such as the Blue and White Nile rivers. Commander Leke and his Naval Detachment, showing bravery during the battle of Abu Klea, were dispatched upstream at all pace separating from the main force with supplies to relieve Khartorum. The Commander Leke arrived on January 25th 1885, with only 30 sailors and supplies as the enemy had ambushed him along the great bend of the Nile.

What happened that night is still debated. Commander Leke claims that even though the water was shallow, that he decided to return down river to see about recovering supplies from one of his sunken Oskiffs for the defenders and that he was not molested until twenty miles downstream. Others claim that Leke ÔÇÿTurned Yellow Like a LeafÔÇÖ and proceeded to escape as Khartorum as the enemy butchered every other defender of the city on January 26th. It is noted by many that Leke was not Court martialed until 1886 after two years of supporting the British Army in the Sudan (Implicating political motives of the Conservative Government to refocus voter outrage on the previous Liberal Government's failure at Khartorum.

Although he survived the court martial, he was effectively beached at half pay in 1887. His service in the war did grant him a hollow appointment as ÔÇÿCaptainÔÇÖ just as he was put on half-pay. Since then Leke went back to Oxford, then found himself ÔÇÿadvisingÔÇÖ the government in interpreting technologies stolen from both the Germans and the Yanks over the past few years.

Equipment: Borchardt C-93 pistol (1 point), Opium Pills, PIP
Personal Effects: Naval Long Coat, Grey Fedora, Haversack, set of spanners, set of screwdrivers, pocket knife
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

BadgeAddict wrote: Equipment:
Heavy Armor(Combat fatigues), Sabre/Scabbard, Shotgun
You've got 7 points of equipment there (3 - heavy armor, 3 - shotgun, 1 - sabre) and we're only allowed 3 points initially.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Oh...i must have missed the (Point amount thing there), thanks synch...will fix this.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Its a tough rule, bit hard to run in with only heavy armour! Or just a shotgun. I was considering the elephant gun, but thats all 3 points and I consider my character more of a long-range sniper, and wanted a kukri too (he was in the Gurkhas.)

You could possibly go medium armor and the sabre?
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Well, First what is the price of a webley revolver?
And I think a 'tool kit' for the scientists would be of value...
Also what would the price be for a Winchester 1895? 0.303 British?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Yeah, I meant to ask about the revolver, since it was in the example character, but not in the equip price list.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler