Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Stargate 1895 - Game Thread

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 am

The other option Jib is to simply start us with certain equipment and then give us 3 points in which to expand that if we so choose....
or, better yet, have the 3 points be for personal items, in order to have more personalization for people....meaning, the 3 points may be used on personal effects, otherwise you get what weapons you get.

Example:
Soldiers start with Medium armor, 1 gun, 1 Dagger (+3 points)
Scientists start with ____, ____, _____ (+3 points)
Criminals start with light armor, Set of Lockpicks, ______ (+3 points)
Clergy start with 1 Staff weapon, ____, ____ (+3 points)

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am

I've been considering a couple things about this:

I don't like the idea of going to heavily on set starting items. That said, you could include a class based equipment point(s). Give each class and extra point but that point must go to something that fits their class. Soldiers could only spend it on armor or weapons, Hunters on weapons, scientists on something scientific, etc.

Another idea I was thinking about was that the social classes didn't seem to add much. You could possibly add additional bonuses. I was thinking along the lines of: gentry: +1 education, +1 starting equipment point, middle class: +1 perception, + _______, working class: + 1 toughness, + _______. The idea wasn't full fleshed out yet which is why there are blanks, but I did think gentry's money would grant them an extra bit towards equipment. The reason I had for this is +1 to an attribute, doesn't really do much when we're picking our attributes anyways. However, the extra point or whatever goes in those blanks could make the difference.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:09 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:I've been considering a couple things about this:

I don't like the idea of going to heavily on set starting items. That said, you could include a class based equipment point(s). Give each class and extra point but that point must go to something that fits their class. Soldiers could only spend it on armor or weapons, Hunters on weapons, scientists on something scientific, etc.

Another idea I was thinking about was that the social classes didn't seem to add much. You could possibly add additional bonuses. I was thinking along the lines of: gentry: +1 education, +1 starting equipment point, middle class: +1 perception, + _______, working class: + 1 toughness, + _______. The idea wasn't full fleshed out yet which is why there are blanks, but I did think gentry's money would grant them an extra bit towards equipment. The reason I had for this is +1 to an attribute, doesn't really do much when we're picking our attributes anyways. However, the extra point or whatever goes in those blanks could make the difference.
Ummm...well I could write a whole scree about class versus money in the English system...especially after the revoking of the corn laws etc.
But I think a occupational/former occupational equipment bonus would be of more benefit.
(I mean look at Dr. Watson who is a scientist...but was also a soldier, so yes having a medical bag is inherently his...but so too is his revolver)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

Alright, here we go.

Constance "Connie" Miller
Background: Criminal
Strength: 4
Dexterity: 3 (2+1)
Intelligence: 2
Spirit: 2

Social Class: Working (+1 Dex)

Trained: Fighting, Perception
Familiar: Agility, Speed, Toughness

Agility: 6
Craft (Burglary): 4 (6)
Fighting: 7
Education: 3
Perception: 5
Persuasion: 3
Shooting: 4
Speed: 7
Stealth: 7
Toughness: 6

Equipment: Modified Crowbar, Medium Armor

Connie is a thief, but is not particularly interested in finesse and lockpicking. She makes her money by good old fashioned mugging with a side-order of racketeering. She's not the brains of her operation, she just takes orders and collects her cut at the end of the week. She was recruited (from prison) at the same time as a few more delicate souls who'd been visited in their cells, and selected to provide a reassuring physical presence without the military air that much of the other muscle brings. Despite being a lawbreakin' sort, she is not particularly mean hearted and is usually quite easy to get along with.

--

I think I've done skills right - if anyone spots anything wrong then let me know and I'll make amendments. And I think I've missed quite a lot of discussion around equipment, so what I've picked might not really fit. Let me know.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

I like my scientist character, and will be sticking with him, but just had another character concept that I kind of wish I'd thought of first... :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am

Quarg wrote:But I think a occupational/former occupational equipment bonus would be of more benefit.
(I mean look at Dr. Watson who is a scientist...but was also a soldier, so yes having a medical bag is inherently his...but so too is his revolver)
I'm not saying i'm against it, but I think some people would get more out of it than others. For example look at the criminals. Mine is a sneaky thief. Nikohl's is a head-busting mugger. There isn't much in the way of equipment that would benefit us both. Granted I wouldn't be against some class/background based stuff, I just think there is a better way. Though how complex do we want to make this? Jibjib is open to suggestion but he also said he wanted to keep it simple because he was going to use this for his RL group too who was new to this type of game. Honestly, I think we could debate this all month but I don't think it matters that much. I say lets pick one and get to it.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

more importantly....i only brought this up so that i could have both medium armor, a handgun and a slashing weapon... :)

Things i found (from the era) that i would like to have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_revolver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

I suppose the price of the items above would be 1 for the revolver and 2 for the rifle, though I'm unsure, this leaves the armor option unaccounted for...will have to think about this more.

(i realize i only have a few options with 3 points, i suppose i could do without the sword)

my other question would be this - is it possible to get other weapons as the game goes on?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm

A side effect of this game is that I'm learning a lot about Victorian era firearms... Jib, would I be able to equip a Krag-Jorgensen for flavor purposes at the same stats and cost of the other rifles? The bizarre loading mechanism appeals to me, and could play into Edmund's knack for repairing and tinkering with things, if it were a rifle he carried in his travels.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 pm

In the middle of a doozy pf a shift at work so ill answer the only questions i can see without loading more on my phone, yes, you'll definitely get more weapons as loot in the game, and yes, any flavour equivalents are fine :)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:54 pm

so...although i may get what i want...or understand it entirely.....i would still like this to actually start as soon as jibjib can start it...as opposed to trying to hash out all the rules..

just my opinion

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Good plan, we'll work with what we've got to start and then we can promote you or something :P ill put intros up before noon tomorrow (GMT) :)

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm

If I'm not too late yet, I think I'd like to join on this.

Name: Alan Faulkner
Class: Middle
Background: Soldier

Backstory: Alan's father was a low-ranking officer in the army, and thus he was introduced early to military life by him. The eldest of three sons, he learned to keep a level head and take responsibility for his siblings. Unfortunately when he was 10 his father was killed in action and his mother struggled to maintain their living standards without their father's income. Seeking a way out, Alan volunteered for service in his father's old regiment. Throughout his training and his first assignments, Alan quickly earned himself a reputation as a capable soldier who focuses uneringly on his objective, and drew the attention of his superiors. He repeatedly turned down offers of promotion, preferring to take orders instead of give them. Now 18 year old, and still the youngest of his regiment, Alan has earned multiple commendations, making him a prime candidate for the exploration teams.

Str:2
Int: 2 (+1)
Dex: 4
Spt: 2

Trained: Shooting, Fighting
Familiar: speed, agility, craft

Skills
(8) Agility (Familiar)
(7) Craft (Familiar)
(8) Fighting (Trained)
(6) Education (Untrained)
(4) Perception (Untrained)
(3) Persuasion (Untrained)
(10) Shooting (Trained)
(6) Speed (Familiar)
(6) Stealth (Untrained)
(4) Toughness (Untrained)

Equipment: Saber and scabbard, webley service revolver, buffcoat
Last edited by Alaen on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm

My character, as a hunter would probably prefer to go on the recovery mission for an escaped alien (tracking, hunting etc) rather than rescue.

Perhaps an idea could be that each class gets a free 1pt item that is a prerequisite for them. Eg scientists get spectacles free, soldiers/hunters get m├¬l├®e weapon (or pistol?) free.
This would mean soldiers like Badge could take light armour, a rifle and a sabre; or heavy armour and a pistol; or medium armour, a pistol and sabre.
If that were the case my character would have the elephant gun and kukri, rather than rifle and kukri.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:49 pm

An escaped alien, you say? A missing person wandering around London, with no obvious trail? I'd be tempted to enlist the aid of an experienced private detective who enjoys unusual cases...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Well if we have a choice as to which mission we go on. I'd prefer to go for the rescue mission. Sneaking into an enemy encampment would be more my style.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:37 am

Going to make this thread one game and create another for the second, watch this space :)

Jibjib
Game Master

Re: Stargate 1895 - Mission 2

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 am

(Moved to the other thread)
Last edited by Jibjib on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 am

(Moved to the other thread)
Last edited by Jibjib on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 am

OOC: Map question...Are the stone patches just patches in the floor or are they columns?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:14 am

They're columns holding up the roof :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 am

(wanna create an OOC log where we can ask questions?)

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:30 am

(Yes :P )

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 am

(Is it too late to make this the OOC thread and give each mission its own thread? Might be cleaner and less confusing, for a number of reasons. If you want to close signups, you can just say so.)

Jack is startled. Aliens! He thought he'd been prepared for the possibility, but the reality was overwhelming. His mind flooded with questions, most of which were not useful in the moment. Unless, of course, this was some kind of escaped circus act. Lion tamers and costumes would make more sense. He'd never heard of a lion that big, though. Who were they, and what were they doing? Probably best not to get their attention just yet. It was clear enough that they were trying to control the beast, but to what end?

He studied them and looked about the room, trying to find any information that might help him get a grasp on the situation.

(Short version: roll perception check.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 am

Good point, ill change it and copy any responses when i get back :thumbsup: this is why i could never do a desk job, I'm all passion and no substance :P

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 am

Jones levels his rifle at the large cat and weird non-human looking things. He tries and succeeds in not letting the shock of the strangeness show on his face to the others. For now, he keeps his words to himself and simply readies his gun in case anything happens.

(Ready an action - On aggression or movement toward himself or the others, Fire at closest person)