Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Stargate 1895 - Mission 2

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 am

to be moved:
The Captain moves more from experience than anything. He taps the two standing broadly out on their shoulders and points to take cover behind the pillars. To Jones he wispers..."Take cover you fool we don't know what their armed with"

He then steps behind the pillar with the Reverend. "I would like your thoughts sir...I am thinking you and Woodard can see if we can parley with these two while I and Jones move around and flank them if they prove to be hostile to Her Majesty's representatives."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Stargate 1895 - Mission 2

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:46 am

Shocked to see that he had made a rookie mistake when faced against such an strange foe, Jones quickly gathers himself together and silently ducks behind the nearest pillar. He crouches and keeps his weapon at the ready.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Stargate 1895 - Game Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:A side effect of this game is that I'm learning a lot about Victorian era firearms... Jib, would I be able to equip a Krag-Jorgensen for flavor purposes at the same stats and cost of the other rifles? The bizarre loading mechanism appeals to me, and could play into Edmund's knack for repairing and tinkering with things, if it were a rifle he carried in his travels.

This video shows the basic rifle that Edmund is carrying, the rounds load in through a drop box on the side, and pass under the bolt mechanism to come in from the left. Holds 5 rounds, and can be quickly dump loaded with a speed loader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyrt5djcfRg
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Re: Stargate 1895 - OOC Thread

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:50 am

That's so cool! I've been learning a fair bit about Victorian life too, got a couple of books from amazon to give me some background to fall back on if I need it :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:39 am

Jibjib, what is your intended update schedule? I imagine it might be less frequent than you initial intended since you are running too campaigns, but it might be good for us to know how frequently we should expect updates tonmake sure we are staying on top of things and posting in a timely manner for you. (This is in no way me bugging you to update! Just looking for a better idea of potential pace.)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 am

Itll definitely be at least twice a week, but probably an update will appear as soon as i have all the replies for a turn :)

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 am

Both updates should be in the next hour :)

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 am

Btwm if anyone notices any discrepancies in their stats, I've copied them over from my spreadsheet instead of the original posts, so let me know :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

I'd be interested to be able to see the rolls made each round, mostly because I'm interested in seeing how the game mechanics play out, having never worked with this game system.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 pm

All of the ability checks are just roll less than your score, for example, when you want to climb something with an agility of 7, you need to roll 7 or less to succeed.

Combat rolls are a little more complex:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Wait, that can't be right. Higher toughness means less damage, right? But the way you wrote it, it would be almost impossible to avoid damage with a high toughness. Or am I misreading?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:09 pm

No higher toughness is better. If you're dealt 4 damage, that is subtracted from your toughness before the roll. So if you had 6 toughness, you would need to roll a 2 or less (6 toughness - 4 damage) to resist being wounded. If you had 8 toughness you would need to roll 4 or less (8 toughness - 4 damage). If you had 4 toughness, you'd need to roll a critical 1 (4 toughness - 4 damage, pray for a crit) to resist being wounded. The higher your toughness, the higher the chance of resisting damage.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm

The roll to see if the target is damaged is just a modified toughness skill check with the target's toughness reduced by the amount of damage; the higher your toughness, the higher the number you need to roll below to avoid being damaged.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:03 am

Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I think it was the dyslexia getting me. Thanks.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 am

No worries! It took me a heck of a long time with the computer to work it out and I made that exact mistake (swapped < for > ) :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:33 am

Yeah, I know for me, wanting the low roll seems odd. Pretty much if I get hit, i'm in trouble. May need to hook up some armor eventually.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 am

Just so I know, can I still join or is it too late? Because if it's too late, then I won't bother to finish my character.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:41 pm

You're very welcome in the game as a whole, but I don't think I can handle running more than two missions at the same time, do you think you'll wait around for the next one? :)

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:09 am

I don't mind waiting, we don't have enough players for another mission anyway (at least by my count).

For easier accessibility, here's the finished version of my character.

Name: Alan Faulkner
Class: Middle
Background: Soldier

Backstory: Alan's father was a low-ranking officer in the army, and thus he was introduced early to military life by him. The eldest of three sons, he learned to keep a level head and take responsibility for his siblings. Unfortunately when he was 10 his father was killed in action and his mother struggled to maintain their living standards without their father's income. Seeking a way out, Alan volunteered for service in his father's old regiment. Throughout his training and his first assignments, Alan quickly earned himself a reputation as a capable soldier who focuses uneringly on his objective, and drew the attention of his superiors. He repeatedly turned down offers of promotion, preferring to take orders instead of give them. Now 18 year old, and still the youngest of his regiment, Alan has earned multiple commendations, making him a prime candidate for the exploration teams.

Str:2
Int: 2 (+1)
Dex: 4
Spt: 2

Trained: Shooting, Fighting
Familiar: speed, agility, craft

Skills
(8) Agility (Familiar)
(7) Craft (Familiar)
(8) Fighting (Trained)
(6) Education (Untrained)
(4) Perception (Untrained)
(3) Persuasion (Untrained)
(10) Shooting (Trained)
(6) Speed (Familiar)
(6) Stealth (Untrained)
(4) Toughness (Untrained)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:34 pm

POST FOR SCH OOC...

Edit: Doh... Thanks Chuck.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 pm

wrong thread spider
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 am

Given these ugly orange aliens things response, i would say that Jones "gut" instinct was spot on....

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 am

You mean "shoot everything before we even know what the situation is, preempting any chance to gain useful intel and maybe make part of the job easier"? Yeah, that's working out so well.

I expected it would likely come to a fight eventually, but it was looking like we'd be able to get one beast secured and maybe get help getting the second one (which we wouldn't have even known about if we'd just shot on sight) taken care of first. There was even a chance of not having to fight an unknown number (and, again, if we hadn't tried talking we wouldn't have known there were any more of them) of aliens with unknown abilities and technology...

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 am

hey hey, we did talk first.....

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 am

As it's ok for you to know now, Badge was the only one to pass his perception check on their hostility :P out of the other three, there were two critical fails :P