Civilization 6: Argue Your Tweaks

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization 6: Argue Your Tweaks

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:26 am

I'm going to go with Kida and Chuck on this after sleeping on it. While annoying (to you, anyway; I kind of find it amusing), I'll be doing a thread for voting then a thread for the actual game.

Edit: Saw Badge's edit; one locked in a day -seems- interesting, but I get the sense that could go terribly, terribly wrong (especially if people are busy and only one person votes later in the week, immediately locking one in). I sort of still like two separate threads though... one for voting/warring :P and one for the actual game.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:33 am

Population- may be considerably less costly if we pair it with Monster Zoo, by the way, as spreading the amount of races we have out would reduce just how many are in the 3 major races that take a hit. And this may end up beneficial as we double our food supply and gain masterwork equipment while the small sacrifice to population would effectively reduce the cost of Monster Zoo to 1 Tweak.
Last edited by Davecom3 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:58 am

Monster Zoo + habitat could make the fact that we have multiple races easier to deal with.

It could be that the 2 years of safety = 2 years in which the races (mostly the ones that hate each other) wouldn't be able to interact with each other.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:08 pm

And if even 1 or 2 of our major races have the Avian Tweak, we might want to consider having all our races have the Tweak, as we'd already be placing a strong guard around the hatchery. Thus, we'd gain 3 Tweaks with a little less risk.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Aegis - No matter what you decide, I'm sure we will have a great game and I'm looking forward for it.
I think that you can't satisfy everyone - some want secret vote, some want to react to other votes, etc.
People just need to remember to be civilized and that we all want to have a fun game.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Population- and Avian are pretty much the best of the Tweak-bonus Tweaks, though Interracial- might not hurt us too much. And Avian, if we need to, could better our relations for the cost of a little population. :paranoia:

Heh, Fast-breeding+Avian=We Sell Our Children to Boost Relationships...

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Avian will filter to the entire Civilization. So all of the races to start would be deviant egg layers. (Egg laying orcs? hehehehehe) It's not "avian per race" (well, besides those that start with it).
BadgeAddict wrote:It could be that the 2 years of safety = 2 years in which the races (mostly the ones that hate each other) wouldn't be able to interact with each other.
Inspiration came from a Star Trek Voyager episode, actually. Habitat would likely encompass a given range, and everyone lives within that range, rather than "living in isolated cells."

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Well, still even if we have enough minor races that have the Avian Tweak, it would be worth getting for the rest of the population. And the "Avian per Race"'s were what I was thinking about.
Last edited by Davecom3 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm

I disagree with dividing the voting into each individual tweak. That just seems like it would drag it out for an unnecessarily long time. Though perhaps dividing it into race vote, first half of tweaks vote, second half of tweaks vote would be acceptable to me.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 pm

If you take Population- I think you could easily add "Resource Poor-" since we don't need so many resources.

For me I like the combination of "Loner" and "Hive mind" - the queen overrides the player choices ;)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:I disagree with dividing the voting into each individual tweak. That just seems like it would drag it out for an unnecessarily long time. Though perhaps dividing it into race vote, first half of tweaks vote, second half of tweaks vote would be acceptable to me.
I'm not sure who said what you're talking about. But what about the option i mentioned.

Example of what I'm talking about:

Day 1 (24 hours)
Everyone votes for all of the tweaks that they want.
End of day 1
The top voted Tweak during the last 24 hours period is locked in and no longer able to be changed. Everyone who helped make that Tweak win lose a vote and now have 9 in which to "move around"
Day 2 (24 hours)
Nobody has to do anything, unless they want to change one of their votes due to what got locked in.
End of day 2
The top voted tweak during the last 24 hours period is locked in and no longer able to be changed. If anyone helped this tweak win and they also helped the 1st tweak win, they now only have 8 votes to move around and/or change. If anyone voted on the day 2 tweak and not the day 1 tweak then they still have 9 votes to move around as they want.

This is the best of both worlds, You can move your vote around if you want, but votes still get locked in and cannot be changed at the last second.

Skip to End of day 7
The top 4 highest Tweaks win and become the total top 10.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 pm

kida wrote:For me I like the combination of "Loner" and "Hive mind" - the queen overrides the player choices ;)
The Queen would be a figurehead, a repository of knowledge not unlike a library. Maybe a little different depending on what races end up chosen. Loner's meant to complicate matters. The Hivemind isn't full-on Borg control. :) As for Resource Poor-, I'd base it on the size of the starting group. So while you might not need a lot of resources, you'd still be -very- hard pressed to find 'em.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Kida, I'd disagree with your comment on "Resource Poor-" for a few reasons. First of all, "Population-" can be recovered from, but you can't reproduce some of the resources like metals, warpstone, gemstones or the like which are perishible minerals. Secondly, "Resource Poor-" seems a much bigger loss of minerals than "Population-" seems to be of population, especially if you pair "Population-" with "Monster Zoo" as "Population-" only affects 3 of the 4 biggest races, ignoring the 4th and all minor races that "Monster Zoo" adds.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 pm

"Resource Poor-" puts us on a trading route between 2 civilizations, we can try trading or we could try to migrate to better position.
You should also need to remember that our growth is a percentage of the current population, so if we start with lower numbers, we will stay with lower numbers relatively.

Another tweak I like is "steampunk" - it will be most useful if we have dwarves.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Tweaks Talk
Other Stuff:
-1 Steampunk: +25% chance on tech, a must have in my opinion.
-1 Chocobo: Mounts that can be bred to have abilities like this = Yellow(Basic), Blue(swim), Green (Can traverse earth but not water), Black (abilities of Blue & Green), Etc
(Animal riders or Cavalry when included with Chocobo Nice maybe?....otherwise, pointless)
-1 Pirates: Although there will be a bigger fish in the sea...welcome to the game, this is true no matter what we do, and this gives each of us our own ship...how cool.
Food:
I personally don't think we should screw with food types, If we all have to survive on the same food type our weakness (to losing that food type) will hurt us 100x more than if we allowed each race to just eat their own thing
Personal:
- Again, I'm against choosing anything which effects everyone as it will make all races have the same weaknesses, same strengths too, sure, but same weaknesses is worse.
Society:
Violent vs. Tolerant - From past exp.....it doesn't matter how peaceful we try to be, eventually someone will want to and try to kill us and eventually, because this game is run by dumbbags (including myself) and our great DM Aegis, who tends to lean toward -> Peace is evil....if we take tolerant then we're only buying ourselves time until we F it up and get attacked anyways....so, if we have to choose one of the two, I say we take violent, so we will actually have a fighting chance.
-3 Pro: In my mind, this is a must have, although costly, by a lot..roll twice and have trances happen 2x faster is a win to me.
+1 One life to live: not such a bad thing to get an extra tweak.
-1 Accelerated Maturity: So, we'll need more food and we'll die faster...but our people become adults faster and ...when have we really ever had a food crisis...

(more to come)

As for the races, I dunno yet,..im torn..
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm

But supposing a large amount of the 25 races are chosen to even small degrees and we choose Monster Zoo, For every vote of the three races that get hit, you lose 70*.4, or 28 people from their totals. For every vote of the minor races, you get 6 or 70 more population to add to the total population, depending if it was a vote for Garou. It's really not that difficult for us to make up for said losses. And we could potentially select fast maturity or fast breeding if we wanted to make up for the initial loss in population, and exponentially increase our populations, which would eventually effectively replace those we'd lost.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:46 pm

I asked Nikohl on Twitter if she'd be joining us for Civ 6... "depends on life stuff I guess"

I'm thinking with Monster Zoo if more than 6 species are represented, each PC could be the one who speaks for their individual race in a forum or before the leaders. This way hopefully some form of stability is held if Tolerant somehow falters (like if Humans and any Animals are part of the Civ). A sort of "can't go to war without the blessing of the leader" and Tolerant would kinda make that stick.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Actually I wouldn't mind pirates + resource poor-. The combination would give us merchants to prey upon.

another option resource rich+ + resource poor- gives us a lack of variety in our resources, but what we do have would be incredibly valuable in trading, and what luck, we'd be on a trade route.

Or all 3 and use our powerful resources to pirate for what we lack.

And I still want interracial+. Hopefully we get something awesome like Ponies' mystery solvent or Chelydrian's shield shell or Skybourne's birds of a feather.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Pirates + Violent + Resource poor- = We just rob other people for what we need

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 pm

My thoughts,
I'd like to play Skyborne.
Tolerant(1)+Monster Zoo(2,3)+Population-(4)(+1 Bonus Tweak)= Racial Tension all but eliminated, everybody gets to play their preferred race should they get a character, chance of peaceful coexistance with neighbor civilizations, masterwork tools if the peace doesn't last, less loss of population than without Monster Zoo.
Avian(5)(Should there be enough people choosing egg-layers, hatchery will already be set up.)(+3 Tweaks)
Fast Breeding(6)+Accelerated Maturity(7)=Faster replacement of population lost for masterwork tools, possible balance of food reached by trading eggs away, improving relationships by preventing overbreeding.
Jack of All Trades (8)
Celestial Event+=Good stuff just keeps happening.(9,10)
Interracial+=benefit of lesser race gained(Bonus 1)
Warpstone Deposit=who doesn't have fun with a bit of mutation(Bonus 2)
Steampunk(Bonus 3)
Interracial+(Bonus 4)

Not really worried where Aegis sets us up.

If 2 more skills remaining, then probably Chameleon Skin and Dragon's Blood.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:19 pm

To throw in my thoughts
I hoping we do the pirates Tweak
I also like BadgeAddict idea of the Pirates + Violent + Resource poor-
I also like the Steampunk (Airships if with pirates)
I also of the same mind when it comes to the Tolerant+Monster Zoo (everyone get to be whatever they want without all the crazy blood feuds)
I totally want Orcs because their so much fun
but half of me is also torn because I kind of want
Monestary+Mountain
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I don't think I'm having any luck getting people from other forums. Consider this a poke to really get your various circles of friends interested. Maybe if we get X votes to start and those vote enough to be eligible for a character I might throw in a bonus or two.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Violent is the opposite of Tolerant, so I think they cancel out. Tolerant Warrior would be possible, but that leaves us weak to magic.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:24 pm

While I'm thinking about it, I'm trying to think of a better way to explore dungeons rather than just one level per month. Would you rather I continued it that way (dungeons don't take months to explore after all...)? If someone has a better idea I'm game... something different than posting every level of every dungeon...

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:While I'm thinking about it, I'm trying to think of a better way to explore dungeons rather than just one level per month. Would you rather I continued it that way (dungeons don't take months to explore after all...)? If someone has a better idea I'm game... something different than posting every level of every dungeon...
One thing we're doing over in kobold mine is combat presets. You could do something like that. Something along the lines of "in this situation, do a, in this type of situation do b." Then apply it as best to each situation. Some people could have preferences to buff spells, or offensive magic, or healing magic, or defensive shielding or sword play or archery. When possible apply things like when meeting people, making allies or taking prisoners, or executing them as a sacrifice to your bloodthirsty god. Combine each person's different presets.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10