Trouble In Xanth - Chapter 6: Sinking

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Trouble In Xanth - Chapter 6: Sinking

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Tue May 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Trouble in Xanth

Xanth, the land of magic and mystery where things are as they sound but not always how they seem, is under threat from an unknown force. The Magician King Dor has grown old and though his magic is still strong his health is failing. The witch doctor's believe there is an outside force causing the king's illness but can do nothing to cure him. A group of unlikely travelers have arrived at the castle at the same time. It has been deemed a sign that they will be the ones to traverse the wilderness of Xanth to find the source of the magic that ills King Dor. Will these unlikely travelers find what they need in time to save the king? Or will the land of Xanth once again be thrown into the race for a successor?

Playing the game

The game will be turn based text heavy style. Each player will post his or her actions and the order of the posts will be the order they are initiated except in combat where we will go with initiative rolls. While it isn't necessary to have read the Xanth books a look at the Xanth wiki may be recommended to familiarize with different aspects within the realm.

The races

Humans: Like mundane humans in every way except with magic.
Strength: 3
Defence: 3
Intelligence: 3
HP: 5

Elves: Similar to humans in every way except only a quarter of the size.
Strength: 2
Defence: 4
Intelligence: 3
HP: 3

Centaurs: Half horse half human. One of the most intelligent creatures in Xanth.
Strength: 3
Defence: 1
Intelligence: 5
HP: 7

Ogres: As strong as they are stupid. Twice as tall as a man and three times the mass.
Strength: 5
Defence: 3
Intelligence: 1
HP: 10
Last edited by Theonewhoisodd on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Re: Trouble In Xanth - Round 1

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Tue May 13, 2014 2:29 pm

As the six of you approach Castle Roogna you are seized by guards and hauled inside. In the main parlor you six of you are met by the Sorceress Queen Irene. She apologizes for the way the six of you were treated upon entering the castle grounds but has a grave quest for you.

"My husband, the King Dor, is sick. We've had witch doctors from all across Xanth come to try and see if they can heal him but unfortunately it seems that their is a terrible power somewhere in Xanth that is making him ill. I know it is much to ask of you all but the fact all of you arrived here at the same time from your own paths makes me believe that it is your destinies to cure my husband. Please will you accept this quest?" The Sorceress pleads with you all.
My Kickstarter

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Allune crosses xe's arms. "I assume there will be rewards?"

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue May 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Tenel grumpily take his hat off as deem polite to when speaking to the queen but otherwise seems to care less about proper etiquette.
" Why should I help, I stand a possible king if he dies....Still perhaps some seeds or useful items you have lying around might change my mind....I hear their is a tapestry here with some powerful magic. Perhaps that will be enough for me to save your husband...."
He starts to walk around the parlor taking close looks at the items and furniture.
" Afterall, I am your best shot at finding the cause before your husband dies...."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Bill takes an eager step forward. "I'd be happy to help!" He pauses, frowning. "... That is, if I knew how. What is the nature of the king's illness? Has anyone consulted Magician Humphrey?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Jas watches the others for a moment saying nothing. So we have a self declared magician, and an over eager centaur Then finally bows, "Your Majesty, I know not what the others have traveled to this place. But I do have specific business with the court, I was informed that I could acquire a 'D Force' to correct a mistake I made at a young age. Although I feel for the King's predicament, I see little how a simple merchant can be of assistance to him. But if he were to grant my request for a D Force, then I would give my word to pursue the source of this sickness until either it breaks or my service is no longer needed."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Allune smirks at Tenel, "And what is the power you hold as a mage that deems you of any importance?"
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue May 13, 2014 4:53 pm

" Their is no need to bother the good magician and spend a year in slavery to him. My power will be enough to fix this problem. I am the tracking magician. I can find anything I wish in the quickest way possible and my prices are more reasonable."
Tenel drops his sack of items and pulls out a list from his coat.
" I'm looking to add to my collection a sunflower, A large piece of reverse wood, water from the youth spring, the grapes of wrath and the tapestry you have upstairs and I always get payment in advance."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Allune does not look amused. "Just because you can track something means you can get it. And you will find it difficult to keep me as a slave. Especially when you will be easily squished."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Tenel looks over from his list peering downwards at the small Allune. " I don't need you to point out my limitations for me elf. Mouthy little thing aren't you? Go clean out your ears so you can properly hear your elders next time. I never said I wanted to keep you as a slave, I was merely pointing out Humphrey's distasteful practice of taking indebted servants...."
Tenel turns away from the elf towards Jas.
" A D Force? What is that? Perhaps it something I might have a interest in adding to my collection."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 13, 2014 5:30 pm

"The way you were talking it seemed you wanted me as your slave. And I am not little. yet"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue May 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Jas looks narrowed eyed at Tenel. "I have a use for one, I do not know if you need one. You seem to want to collect a great many things, for what purpose other than to be king I know not. But you demand the elf listen to you...but accuse her of selling herself into slavery by dealing with Humphrey, but it was the centaur not the elf who made that suggestion...which suggests much about your character. But I will tell you this it dissolves bonds."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Tenel gives Jas a strange look. " Accusations, more like simple advice to steer clear of him, but it seems my advice only raises ire here so I will attempt to suppress the urge."
He shrugs as he puts his list away. " I do not think their any bonds here worth holding unto anyhow."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Duncan stares wide-eyed at the group bickering, sidling over to the lady so he can address her without interrupting the others, "I would be glad to serve, madam. A quest to save a life, especially the king's, is certain to be interesting. I may not be very powerful, but I will do everything I can to help your husband."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue May 13, 2014 11:58 pm

Thunderhoof paces up and down the hall a little ways from the center of everyone's attention, looking at the scene that evolves with an incredulous expression on his face. How did he even end up in this "group"? Just because he arrived at the city at about the same time as the others? The queen picking up random strangers and asking them for help seems rather desperate to him.
This, however, bolsters Thunderhoof's resolve, his general disposition to help creatures in need and he approaches the Sorceress respectfully, giving a deep bow and addressing her: "Milady Sorceress Queen Irene, I do not know how much help I will be, but I'm willing to lend you and your husband whatever aid I can. Are you able to give me more information on the King's ailment, or what you would expect any of us to do?"
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Thu May 15, 2014 6:53 am

The queen looks at the group as they begin their squabbling. If it weren't for the Good Magician's advice she would not be certain that this group could handle the task but then two centaurs and one raggedy looking human agree to help with seemingly ulterior motive.

"Enough" the queen utters in a harsh yet subdued tone. The plants in the room almost seem to want to leave their pots to assist her. One by one she addresses each person as best she can. "Elf, there will be rewards suited to that of the rescuer of a King's life. I believe that should more than suffice to acquiesce your greed."

She then turned to Tenel "Magician" she said sourly "Though your power may be recognized as such all three of my children are magician caliber with direct bloodline to the throne. Should anything happen to the King one of them would be in line for the throne. However should you go on this quest for me a suitable arrangement could be made to put you in a grand position in our government, if you play your cards right. In regards to the Tapestry your power must already be failing. My eldest, Ivy, has long since removed it and placed it in her own castle with her husband Grey."

She turned her eyes to the quarter horse "The Good Magician is the one who informed me of your sixes arrival. However he refused to answer to me what was ailing the king. He seemed to think that you six should pay a visit. Being on the king's business he shall not charge his year of service."

Next up was the young man looking for a D Force "I regret to inform you but the king is the only one who knows the location of the D Force. So I guess that gives you plenty of reason to help return the king to health."

To Duncan she merely gave a polite nod, she was somewhat hesitant to put her husband's life in this boy's hands but Humfrey surely knew best.

Finally she addressed the dwarf of a centaur. "I just know that the illness has plagued my husband's mind as well as his body but has not effected his magic. I merely ask that you go to the good magician's castle. He surely knows something about this quest."

With that she turned her attention to the group as a whole. "Please time is of the essence I do not know how long my husband has left."
My Kickstarter

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 15, 2014 7:09 am

"hmph. It is not greed if it is something you need." The elf crosses xe's arms.

"Fine though lets see this wizard and see what he wants."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 am

Tenel closes his eyes and hums gently. Than with a sigh he opens them again. " Your right, the bloody thing isn't here.... Still your offer of a place in government is boring to me. I'm barely interested in the throne because the increase of storage room for my collection and the underlings to gather items for me...Still i'll do this task, magician to sorceress but some payment must be made in advance in respect to my status, you must have some item laying around you have no use for."

When the queen mentions the king being the only one to know the location of the D force Tenel chuckles thinly and than hums again. " Not anymore." He mutters under his breath.

When the good magician is mentioned and suggested they go see him Tenel gets very tense but says nothing for the moment.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 am

"Your head is way too large, magician." The elf smirks and stares at him for a while before the magician feels his head getting a bit...smaller?
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu May 15, 2014 7:39 am

Tenel sighs and slowly turns to the elf. " Stop that." He says darkly. " I like my head the way it is."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 am

"Hmph. Despise you magicians thinking you are better than everybody else. Always so demanding, and think you should get better treatment just because you are slightly more powerful than others, even if your talent is not less useful than they make themselves ot to be." The elf drops the spell but still stares at him.
"Your ego will get the better of you."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu May 15, 2014 8:08 am

" Elf, I really have no quarrel with you. Perhaps I spoke more harshly to you than I should have. I don't believe myself better than you as a person, if i'm demanding it's because my time is more valuable and I don't like to dilly dally. I will hinger one more word of advice to you. It seems we will be traveling together to discover this cure, do not let your own ego make enemies with your companions."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 am

Bill offers a polite bow to the queen. "Thank you for your guidance. It's a relief to know that the good magician will not require further service of us. I see no reason for us to keep you from your husband's care any longer. If my companions agree, we will be on our way."

Turning to the others: "We have our quest, our answers, and our next destination. Let us go! Surely saving our king is of interest to us all. Not to mention that anyone who can strike our king from afar, undetected, could well be a threat to anyone. Suitable rewards have been promised. Let us be on our way!"

To Tenel: "If storage space is your problem, I may be able to help. If you prove to be someone I want to help."
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu May 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Jas offers only a short bow to the Queen. "So be it...I have traveled this far, I suppose seeing this Magician is no more a waste of my time. So Tenel, tell us where we are to go since you know where anything you want is..."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu May 15, 2014 6:05 pm

" Perhaps..."He says to Bill not really putting much thought about it.

"So be it...I have traveled this far, I suppose seeing this Magician is no more a waste of my time. So Tenel, tell us where we are to go since you know where anything you want is..."

"Well if you ask me we should skip going to see the good magician....You have my talents at your disposal and I can lead us straight to a cure or to the cause but the good magician might be able to see dangers I cannot at the cost of time...Plus well properly end up going through his bullshit trials. The little gnome loves his little tests...."