Trouble in Xanth - OOC thread!

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Trouble in Xanth - OOC thread!

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Wed May 07, 2014 1:11 pm

This is now the OOC thread for the game. The main game can be found here: http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1131
Last edited by Theonewhoisodd on Tue May 13, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

Dlover
Game Master

Re: Trouble in Xanth - Sign ups Open!

Post by Dlover » Thu May 08, 2014 5:41 am

Name: Duncan
Race: Human
Number: 7
Appearance: Duncan bears a shaggy mop of blond hair on his head, accompanied by roughly shaven stubble. His mouth is ever set in a grin, revealing his slightly stained - but altogether undamaged - teeth, and his green eyes seem to sparkle. His arms and legs are slightly tanned from hours dozing in the sun, though his torso is much more pale. His clothes are simple, a tunic and leggings in a muted grey-blue, and a pair of soft leather shoes, of the typical brown colour. Slight in build, though not overly so, it is clear at a glance that Duncan is not much for physical labour.
Backstory: Duncan grew up in a small village, a quiet child noticed only by a few. Despite his quiet nature, though, he was not much of one for listening, either. So much so, in fact, that he never even heard anyone use his real name. His parents, though not unkind, were busy people, and were rarely aware of his presence, so he took to wandering the village and following whoever his eyes rested upon. Many times this happened to be another group of boys, who, it can be said, were not fond of his following them. And so it was that whenever one of them saw poor little Duncan coming, they would point him out, mutter "dunk 'im," and promptly shove his head into the nearest water source. Not the most socially aware of boys, Duncan failed to realise the hostility in these actions, thinking they were playing a game with him, to see how long he could hold his breath, and so he assumed that those two words they uttered must surely be his name, "Duncan".
After some years, Duncan grew tired of the breath-holding game, and sought out somebody new to follow. Somebody who would lead him on an exciting quest. Now, this is the point you would expect him to chance upon a group of heroes, become a knights squire, or somesuch, but no. In his quest for adventure, Duncan spotted a traveling merchant, and followed him. This lead to him finding a circus to travel with, then a dog, a rat, even a tumbleweed for a little while. It was all rather dull, but he found ways to enjoy himself. Eventaully, early on in his adulthood, Duncan chanced upon a group who looked to be adventurers of some sort. Or, at the very least, they were a motley crew, the sort told of in stories, so he followed them for quite some time, hoping for adventure. He was never quite sure whether he was officially one of them, but he tagged along all the same, since they stopped yelling at him to go away after only a day.
Last edited by Dlover on Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 08, 2014 9:08 am

Name: Bill Cutter
Race: Centaur
Magic number: 3
Description: He's a centaur. His horse half is Palomino (light golden brown). His human half is sleek, not overly muscular. His hair matches his coat, though humans would call it ash blond. He has brown eyes and a kindly face. He is young yet. Old enough to be considered an adult, but not by much. His youthful energy gives him a tendency to sprint ahead. His quick wits have so far gotten him out of trouble.
Backstory: Bill was conceived at a love spring. His father is or was human. He parted ways with Bill's mother after the effects of the spring wore off (never knowing that they had conceived a child), and she hasn't seen him since. His mother wasn't prepared to raise a child. Her name is Billie, and she's quite the filly. But not so original with names. Bill was raised in the forest until he was old enough to fend for himself. Though his dam loves him, she encouraged him to go see more of the world. Young and eager, Bill was more than happy to comply. He's been wondering the land ever since. Note that since bill is half human and half centaur, he's really only a quarter horse.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Thu May 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Okay wears I have to admit that was a good one. You actually made me chuckle. I will get you back for that.
My Kickstarter

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Alright, found the time to get a backstory in. No, I'm not saying it's any good. It exists, though, and it's probably better than the worst, so that's something at least.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri May 09, 2014 6:56 am

Name: Jas Dolphin
(Roger James Gold Dolphin)
Race: Human
Magic Number 5
Description: He stands six feet, four inches tall with brown hair, grey eyes and a goatee on his chin and a narrow mustache on his lip. He is a tall gangly fellow with strong arms from cutting down trees all day in his early youth. He wears fairly simple clothing but of high quality, marking him even more. He wears a wide brimmed hat of grey with a green feather.

Backstory: The Dolphin clan of Index Pass is one of the most notorious families of Xanth. Mainly because they seemed to have been involved in every major land swindle known since the Second Wave, and believed to have been acting as double agents during most of the past waves. Currently, the family is one of two that control the blessed honey trade of Xanth, by controlling most of the west bank of the Unpronounceable River, which they have used to both line their own pockets as well as swindle most of the other races. The Dolphins were known for their centuries long feud with the Shark family from the other side of the Unpronounceable River. That was until some idiot priest contrived the marriage of Roger "Jas" James Gold Dolphin with that of Janet Rosie Shark (both at a ripe age fifteen) in the village of Tall Hassle. This united the two families allowing them to form the D and S Trading Company that now has a monopoly on blessed honey, raising prices almost ten fold the last five years. This has made the two families even less liked, and caused the priest to relocate somewhere among the dragons. Although the Sharks and Dolphins now live in peace, Janet and Roger have been at war with each other since the second night of their marriage. The "war" has typically involved attempts at killing each other alternated with short truces usually breaking down on some minor point of contention. To reduce the damage, the pair were 'relocated' to the Isle of Vain Sin.

Jas has learned to fight dirty, trust no one, and generally make sure to look for all the angles before agreeing to anything. In truth he believes everyone is out to get him, which might just be true considering he is a Dolphin. Although at times he can be charming and convince almost anyone of anything for a short period of time (if their not that smart). Jas also tends to be something of a woman hater, though more he doesn't really trust them as much as dislike them. However, he is well read, knows more about plant and animal life of northern Xanth than most anyone, and can swing a mean axe. Currently he has left the Isle of Vain Sin (or perhaps escape it) to seek out the King and see if there is anyway he can get rid of his wife legally.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Quarg on Sun May 11, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 am

Name: Tenel Tryce.
Race: human
Magic Number: 2
Description: Tenel is a tall skinny man who often wears a long leather coat that has many pockets. He often carries a sack stuffed filled with strange items.

Background: Tenel is a self proclaimed wizard of Xanth claiming to have the solution to any problem which is far from truth. What the man actually does is collect strange items/plants and even animals to add to his ever growing collection of oddities which he pulls out whenever presented with a problem. Facing a dragon? He's got a gourd for him to stare into, Looking for a little love? i'm sure he can pull some water from a love spring out. He's always looking to add new items to his collection to the point that it's almost a obsession.

As to the man himself little is known about him. Some claim he has spent half his life working for the good magician Humfrey to find the locations of rare and wondrous items. The other half actually collecting said items. Some think his purpose is to claim magician status by collecting enough items so that his power cannot be match. Other says he's merely a hoarder with no true purpose. Whatever his goal he'll find a way to accomplish it no matter what.

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Sat May 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Alright so that's four players I'll leave sign ups open for another 24 hours and then post who gets what powers at what strengths
My Kickstarter

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Can I snag a spot for myself? I need a bit of time to come up with an actual character & backstory, and today's mother's day, so I won't be able to look into that until later today or tomorrow at the latest. I hope that's alright.
Also, I'd like to note that I played a computer game that was named "Companions of Xanth" and that is about all I know about that world (or worlds? :oops: ). But I'm willing to learn.

And I'm pretty sure I'd like to play a centaur. (I already considered making one in Haragorn's "Slaves to the Ring" only reconsidered because the GM said he wanted more goblins. :lol: )

Name: Thunderhoof
Race: Centaur
Description: Imagine a great, big boned, muscular, black Stallion, with hooves as big as dinner plates, with an impressive long mohawk and full, flowing beard, kicking up dirt wherever he goes. Everybody else does when they hear his name. Only thing it, Thunderhoof doesn't look like that. He's hot half horse, half man, more like half pony, half midget. His coat/hair aren't black, either, but a fair red and rather flimsy. His beard is next to non-existent, just a few stray bristles on his whole jaw. Contrary to most of his kind, he likes to cover up his human half in clothes, over going bare chested through life.
Background: He got his name prenatally, because he did kick his mom exceptionally much and hard when he was still an embryo. Even by centaur standards. She couldn't believe when he was born, how small and meek he was. As a child,Thunderhoof was often mocked for the discrepancy of his name and his appearance and throughout his life, he did his best to live up to his name, trained his body a lot. Despite his best efforts, he wouldn't build up a lot of visible muscles, nor did he grow to anything that would be considered normal, adult size by other centaurs, but he's fit, arduous and wiry. And he has, thanks to years of practicing his technique to become true to his name, a really MEAN kick.

Magic Number: 9
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 11, 2014 3:13 am

Snagging a spot!

Character: Allunemorè Glacinmion
Species: Elf
Number: Ni! I mean tree! I mean tree!
Description: You may say that he is a dwarf, even for an elf. She has always been small in comparrison to humans but even smaller still compared to the elves. He does not quite measure up to even the great elves, and she is much more likely to slip away, and being unnoticed. He is considered really short and is about thesizeof an elven child. Hersex and age remains to be a mystery asides to the other elves of course.

Background: being so small and tiny, she has a habit of getting himself into trouble. A lot. So much so that she has accumulated a debt. He was able to get out of some by pretending to only being a kid, but apparently elves do not work that way, who knew? She was tasked to repay the damages to a part of the cityand to not ever return to the elven kingdom . But if you ask him, it was not her fault but rather of a malivent ghost he sees time to time. Mo she is not crazy. There really is a ghost. Maybe.

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Re: Trouble in Xanth - Sign ups closed!

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Sun May 11, 2014 1:07 pm

And with that sign-ups are closed.I will be sending out PMs disclosing what type of magic and the tier of each person's talent shortly.

I have sent out all of the PMs disclosing powers to the players. Once I have worked out with each their talent then we shall start.
My Kickstarter

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun May 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Oops, left it too late to make my ogre!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Well, have fun guys, because Duncan is nearly entirely useless. :roll:
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Phhhht. :lol: oh I am sure he is not useless. I bet I can think of uses for him. :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Since the actual magic and ranks were sent out through PM, I'm guessing Odd wants them kept private, but I will tell you that the best use I can come up for him is meatshield or gofer. :P
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Heh. Can you pm me your magic? Maybe i cn help.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Nope. Not until I know whether Odd is okay with such knowledge being shared. I have a few ideas, but it's still pitiful, and no wonder poor Duncan was bullied. :lol:
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Eeeeeh. If he doesn't know then why would it matter? :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 pm

If he does want it kept secret, then that means there's potential for that secrecy to be important. Maybe someone has evil magic, maybe someone (somehow) has no magic, maybe there's something that will affect what our talents are and it's important that nobody knows the specifics. Or maybe it will prove useful for character relation development for us to share them in character and not be knowing what to expect. So I'll wait on the word from Odd as to whether we can share.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Our magic will come out sooner or later. Probably sooner. And you'll figure it out.

There's more to you than your magic. And more magic than just you. Your talent may well prove quite useful in combination with someone else's.

Or, yeah, you can be a meat shield and those of us with poor physical strength can rely on you to make up for what we can't do ourselves.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Though I do not care about telling eachother what your powers are I would still like something in character acquainting eachother with them.
My Kickstarter

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 pm

I think I'll leave the actual reveal to be in-character, then. That way there's no forgetting to share in character.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 am

Works for me. But I will say that if you want to play meat shield, I can help.

Also, as long as we (Quarg, anyway) are explaining the background of things:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon May 12, 2014 12:43 am

I edited in the char info, btw.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon May 12, 2014 5:57 am

WearsHats wrote:Works for me. But I will say that if you want to play meat shield, I can help.

Also, as long as we (Quarg, anyway) are explaining the background of things:
► Show Spoiler
Well I was sort of making things out of 'whole cloth' because I wanted my character to be seen as 'evil' or at least potentially evil by the rest...which needed a detailed explination for all of you to go..."Ah...why are we being assigned to a damn Dolphin...what horror is afoot!"

That and I thought having a bitter Romeo around would be fun...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr