Civilization 6: Rules posted for discussion

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Civilization 6: Rules posted for discussion

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:06 pm

With things growing unstable here, I decided to put Civilization 5 on the shelf after a good few months of play that I really should have updated more. Has it really been what, two, three years since the first one?

Anyway, if you have ideas about the next Civ that you want to see added or discussed, let's get a discussion thread going so I have something to work on between the time I move (being offline) and the time I get back online. I shouldn't be moving out of this dump until late april to late may, so I've still got quite a while before I do have to go. Aiming for July or August, barring that, just whenever-the-fuck I get settled in new digs.

Right now my notes for the next Civ include a main story thread passing ten game years, three "pros and cons" to races, new Aspects (probably will be scrapped, too much is worse than too little), and we'll likely use the same method of race voting as we did to start this one (although right now I have it as "each vote means the starting tribe gets X members, Y warriors, Z casters, Q noncombats, K kids" because while the racial strainings made things difficult, I did find it fun. Potentially considering actual stats and HP for PCs rather than the "moderately injured -> badly injured" stuff I've been doing (or maybe I need to standardize it rather than guess-estimate). So if you've got ideas for "tweaks" or whatever, start talking, bitching, gibbering in the language of Nurgle, etc. Hyenas have sharp hearing. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Civilization 6: Yes, there will be one.

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Will there still be the "make up where you wanna start thing" or will you be giving us options to vote on...Also, Although you picked the races last time...would it be possible to add in a few more? and/or of our own choosing?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 pm

I'll be giving a list of options for location and universe tweaks, yeah. If you have more racial ideas, go ahead and list them here, that's what this thread is here for.

SaruSama
Likes to Contribute

Post by SaruSama » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:12 am

I liked the race voting i suggest trolls as an option. Also locking people in to play as what they vote for, at least for thier first character seems like a good idea.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 am

I've got things divided among four racial guidelines: Humanoids, Lawful Races, Outcasts, and The Big Guys. Trolls are on the list under Big Guys.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:49 am

One thing I noticed reading through is that job/skilled/hobby thing, didn't seem to play a whole lot of influence. The only thing that really seemed to play a big influence was whether you used SA/FH/AP. I'd rather see the character attributes fleshed out a little more, with more possibility of progression and less reliance on throwing a bunch of AP or an FH at a problem and hoping it gets the job done.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm

They were supposed to, but I never really put much thought into it. Maybe with a reminder during SAs of "As an (occupation: Blah), I do X" or something.

Zombiegamer
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zombiegamer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
I apologize if these suggestions may seem excessive to the game mechanics or an insult to the vision of the game, as it could be burdensome to practically execute. However, I wanted to see the job occupation expanded on when I saw its usage only in the nominal sense compared to its potential capacity, and I thought the additional races could be continued from what we saw in the last title.
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Zombiegamer wrote:
► Show Spoiler
This is closer to what I was suggesting. What I was thinking was more along the lines of having progression. For example instead start with hobby and skilled. And let the player gain in each. I was thinking something like: hobby/skilled/occupation/veteran/expert/master. Then like the overall civilization experience, give them a selection of perks at occupation and master. Make them difficult to level up or gain new ones but have more of an impact at higher levels. The reason I'd like this is it felt like someone could do absolutely ridiculous things with an FH which their character would have no reason to be involved in. "I'm a warrior, lets invent farming tech." While most people RPed well, circumventing this loophole, I felt like it should have more to do with what their character was good at rather than FH/AP investments.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Ok, Gnolls and Garou added to the list of potential races. I don't see the Garou as having a real chance, though, especially since one of my options will be a race of "furries" as a whole. I also didn't play much White Wolf to begin with, so all I know of the Garou are tribal leanings and the tribe names (otherwise I would have developed them more for Civ V). Going to be doing something involving EXP and Occupation/Skill/Hobby, I would have done what Chuck is suggesting but in the end it'd be just tons more of bookkeeping.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Might add a group of flying creatures.

Zombiegamer
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zombiegamer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:24 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Edit: I would also like to see "Davecom3's" suggestion for a flying creature race added or "BadgeAddict's" further idea for the beholders, but I am not sure how those would be balanced. However, a suggestion for that could be that they are far fewer in number like how the Ponies' Pegasus were applied as.
Last edited by Zombiegamer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:25 pm

ooo, like beholders.....interesting...

Kelten
Converses Frequently
UStream Username: Kelten

Post by Kelten » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:55 pm

I want the big guys! Trolls and whatnot for the win! and oger mage's mm
Click here if you want to beat me up!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Kelten wrote:I want the big guys! Trolls and whatnot for the win! and oger mage's mm
Ogres are on the Big Guy list.
Davecom3 wrote:Might add a group of flying creatures.
They'd probably fall under the Anthro-Kin tag. Not harpies though, I hate those things.

And no, I'm not putting Beholders on the list :P I already have 7 Humanoids, 5 Lawful Races, 4 Outcasts, and 6 Big Guys. That's 22 races alone, I think we're good on races :P

Zombiegamer
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zombiegamer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:[..] I already have 7 Humanoids, 5 Lawful Races, 4 Outcasts, and 6 Big Guys. That's 22 races alone, I think we're good on races :P
Wow, 22 groups from four categories is amazing list of races that we will be seeing on the next title!
Just wondering for when you have the time, would you be able to show us a sneak peak of the races that will be shown?
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Zombiegamer wrote:
► Show Spoiler
What I meant was maybe +2 to rolls per level on relevant checks. Then for perks you might be able to pick something that offers an specific improvement to that field. Like a sorcery would might get to choose a perk like "successful FH has greater effect on sorcery spells" or "+5 for learning spells" or "10% chance to counter enemy spells" Also the idea was to be able to pick up additional areas, but be unlikely to reach any significant level with them.

Moot point Aegis has other plans. And I understand not wanting the extra bookkeeping. It already takes him a bit of time to do the rolls and write ups.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Zombiegamer
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zombiegamer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:27 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Zombiegamer wrote:Just wondering for when you have the time, would you be able to show us a sneak peak of the races that will be shown?
I'm reluctant to, only because it'd bias people this early and I haven't written pros and cons for all of them yet. I doubt I'll use them all, because then everyone will vote for their pet race and we'll have a similar starting situation with rival races.

Do you guys prefer a starting population of 1000 (where if there are 10 votes and 3 are orc and 7 are troll, it'd be 70% trolls and 30% orcs), or do you prefer X number of (race) per vote where the population is divided equally by race into X warriors Y casters, etc.?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I think you should do x number of race per vote multiplied by a racial modifier (like 2x for goblins, .5x for troll since some have higher population densities). However not a generic x, y, z for all races. Trolls should have a lower % of casters as opposed to something like drow. And Drow have a unique subdivision (driders) and other races could also have their own unique subdivisions as appropriate.

Example:
Taking: W warriors, C casters, N noncombats, K kids
Trolls maybe 50% W, 5% C, 25% N, 20% k
But Drow: 35% W, 20% C, 20% N, 20% k, 5% drider

Then again what I'm suggesting is a lot of work, but its only a one time thing. For some reason I think I just end up making things more complicated. >:D
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Is it possible to first vote for alignment of the tribe and only then have the vote for available races for this alignment?
That way we will avoid having ponies and drows in the same tribe.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:41 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:I think you should do x number of race per vote multiplied by a racial modifier
Some of the races I've written down are Fast Breeders or Slow Breeders, so that's already factored in.
kida wrote:Is it possible to first vote for alignment of the tribe and only then have the vote for available races for this alignment?
I'd rather have the races stick to their alignment leanings, but I'll leave the option open if people want to run a tribe that is truly evil, or at least lives to terrorize the surrounding lands.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

1000 is a nice tribe start...

Plus, depending on the mix of groups there may be...Weaker/stronger Master/Slave problems again with any mixed races...

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:52 pm

I kinda wish that if we do another 'mixed race' start, the races will have been together for some time, and have some reason not to try and kill/enslave each other. It could be a detailed part of the backstory, or it could be glossed over, but i would prefer a start with minimal racial tension to the complete elimination of all races other than grippli that we had in civ 5.

That doesn't mean racial tension shouldn't happen, just that at the start everyone at least tolerates everyone else.

Personally i also like the idea of a tribe that has a single group alignment, no matter who the members are. For example, there could be a village with a lawful good alignment, and if there are non lawful good races in the village, that's fine but while they're not as lawful good as everyone else, they at least get along well enough not to be enemies.

Basically, my suggestions boil down to "Let's not tear ourselves apart from the very beginning this time"; with a side helping of "I like having many races, but if we have multiple races, we need a reason for them to work together."

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Or if we don't all get along well from the start, it would be nice not to have to be one of the only people to use actions to keep us all together.