Civilization 6: Rules posted for discussion

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization 6: Rules posted for discussion

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 pm

12 votes is too many. If I went further than five, it'd be seven at the very most. It means you have to wait a week and a half to have a serious character (or longer if my previous update sched is any indication); not worth the wait in my opinion. Given I'm going to update Civ 6 once a day no matter what (since I have a 30 year plotline scripted) I don't think people will grow as bored with things as quickly.

I've poked my nose into a couple places preparing to say "yeah, I do this stuff on another forum...", but not seriously since I'm STILL waiting for word from the City. (I do believe Civ 5 would have wound down by now had I kept it going). Interest -seems- there, and I'm still banking on 30 people easily.

There will probably be a means of harvesting inactives, yes. I'll think of something.

Races already have their normal preferred foods (common sense/assumed; Ponies are Herbivores, Lizard Men are Carnivores, etc). The Tweaks are to overwrite/be in addition to those if you want something different. Maybe I should assign "common sense Tweaks" from the lists already made, to each race...

I changed Space to be solidly "about to crash on the planet" --- but if you're dead set on trying for space pirates sailing the stars, I can add Habitat to the environments for a space setting.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed May 28, 2014 12:46 pm

space habitat could be cool....roaming the galaxy from planet to planet. Looking for fuel and food to keep going, while dodging increasingly dangerous enemies at each pit-stop....plus...the enemies who have their own spaceships...oh my!

I was thinking somewhere along the line of

doomsday clock -> Spaceship blastoff -> roam the galaxy (nomadically)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 pm

If you want space nomadism, just play some Starbound :P (I'm waiting for them to set the universe to one sector before getting back into it, myself...)

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Wed May 28, 2014 4:57 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:space habitat could be cool....roaming the galaxy from planet to planet. Looking for fuel and food to keep going, while dodging increasingly dangerous enemies at each pit-stop....plus...the enemies who have their own spaceships...oh my!

I was thinking somewhere along the line of

doomsday clock -> Spaceship blastoff -> roam the galaxy (nomadically)
Sound more like the game Faster Than Light :D
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Either way, that sounds pretty cool.

:)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed May 28, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm kind of hoping it doesn't end up space nomadism, would really defeat the plotline I've written. Maybe I shouldn't even do a plotline and just wing it, like I've been doing the past five. :P If it ain't broke don't fix it and all. :) For insanity's sake and the fact I just ate 3 very large brownies (and have nothing better to do), here's the entire list of updated Tweaks as one huge mash.

.[tabs: Abandoned Citadel] You live at the center of an abandoned Basalt Citadel. High defense, traps and a giant abandoned pantry stocked with rations are available. On the other hand, the cave below the citadel is large enough to fit a dragon (or more), AND there's an opening from the outside world leading to it.
[tabs: Abandoned Town] For whatever reason, a human town has been left empty, and now you're free to move on in. Grants quite a safe place to start and whatever the humans left behind. On the other hand, the humans may return someday...
[tabs: Dungeon Maze] You live at the center of an abandoned deep dungeon maze. To get to you, enemies have to find you! On the other hand, what DOES find you might be very powerful...
[tabs: Blessed Realm] The opposite of Condemned; every 3 months it allows the Civilization to bank a Critical Success to use when needed. Costs 3 Tweaks.
[tabs: Condemned Realm] Grants an additional three Tweaks, but once per game month, two Actions (randomly chosen) will automatically fail, one of these a critical fail. Condemnation cannot be eliminated or researched against.
[tabs: Crimson Corruption] Named for the very brief time I played Terraria, your lair is built on tainted land. Animals and plants may grow to giant size and have Mutations. Attracts unintelligent Infernal creatures. On the other hand, an artifact of great power will always be hidden "nearby" to protect from said critters and deal with them (assuming you can A] find it and B] claim it). Cancels and overwrites Gaia.
[tabs: Cursed Realm] Grants an additional two Tweaks, but once per game month, one Action (randomly chosen) will automatically fail. The curse is breakable after ten game years.
[tabs: Monestary] Your starting location is that of a monestary which the local civilizations will have heard of and who may drop by from time to time. The monestary is well defended and stocked with food and farms enough to survive. On the other hand, *something* wants you and your ways wiped from the face of the planet and will use whatever means at their disposal to do so!
[tabs: Mysterious Benefactor] Someone rich and powerful built your citadel for you. Very defensive and chock full of traps and resources to begin with. On the other hand the devil will demand his fiddle of gold back at some point. Costs 2 Tweaks.
[tabs: Neutral Zone] Your realm is built between two warring factions, which you can attempt to bring together or destroy. The factions are neutral to you. On the other hand if they decide to team up to attack you, you might have a problem.
[tabs: Resource Poor-] There are -no- resources to speak of save for the barest of minimums, although your chosen landfall is on a trade route between two other civilizations. On the other hand, is there really -nothing- here? Nature provides, after all... if you're clever. Grants 2 extra Tweaks.
[tabs: Resource Poor] There's a lack of resources here, or they've been stripmined. On the positive, no one would think of looking for you here... and something might have been... missed. On the negative, there's a distinct lack of starting supplies and no easily-accessible help or civilizations.
[tabs: Resource Rich] The Civilization starts near fresh untapped resources such as high quality wood and gem-quality gemstones. On the other hand, the place is packed thick with predators.
[tabs: Resource Rich+] The Civilization starts with access to 5 high quality resources and two "Exotic" or very high quality resources. Costs two Tweaks instead of one. On the other hand, you've got 3 nearby tribes of something(s) that want those resources as well, and predators (including the rivals!) here scale with you in experience.
[tabs: Space] A Civilization in a space ship? It can happen. Captured or genetically engineered by aliens, the civilization begins in a large habitat/colony ship about to land (or crash) on the surface of an unexplored planet, giving you advanced foods and potential space-age tech before doing so. On the other hand, "gods" or "magic" are foreign concepts (next to non-existent) and all but impossible to research. Spiritual power is very very low (Both Sorcery and Spiritual increases at 15% normal rate).
[tabs: Underdark] The Civilization lives in the Underdark, where foul, evil things prowl. Grants lengthy infravision (60 feet plus) and unusual deep-cave minerals. On the other hand, the darkness itself is alive... sometimes literally!
[tabs: War Zone] You have something of power to defend. 1d2+2 rival civilizations want to take it, for various reasons. On the other hand, you've built into a very defensible position and you have a readied Action and an elevation bonus.
[tabs: Wyrmhoard] Oh hey, your lair was founded on a Dragon's Hoard. Begin with a bunch (3d10) of random magical stuff (2/3 of it consumables, such as potions and wands) and 8000 GP. On the other hand, you might want to defend that hoard FAST, especially if the dragon turns out to be still alive...
[tabs: Airborne] The Civilization has evolved wings and you live on floating islands (33%), cloud villages (33%), a floating continent (33%) or the Elemental Plane of Air (1%). On the other hand, if you've got wings, your bone structure is brittle (deals an additional 2 wounds any time you take damage) and you're very light (much knockback on a hit) so said wings can carry you.
[tabs: Aquatic] The Civilization has evolved in the deep ocean, itself with its own perks (sunken treasures, powerful aquatic magic) and problems (deep water pressure, large sharks, giant prehistoric sea creatures, etc). On the other hand, you're highly vulnerable to non-fire based magic (especially sonic/electrical effects) and pollution of the water.
[tabs: Caverns] The Civilization is best functional when it is below ground in caves and caverns. Moderately to extremely safe to begin with. On the other hand, food isn't easy to grow where there is no sunlight...
[tabs: Dry] The Civilization has evolved for desert conditions. They can retain water supplies for a greater amount of time as well as fight and survive under great heat. On the other hand, deserts don't have that much in the way of resources to begin with...
[tabs: Elemental] The Civilization has evolved on one of the four classical Elemental Planes, chosen at random when the Civilization starts. While unusual paths and skills will be open to you, on the other hand it also means that predators and elemental dangers are FAR more dangerous, as are the adventurers traveling here from other planes! Grants an additional Tweak.
[tabs: Feral Wilds] The Civilization is set in prehistoric times as nomadic hunter gatherers and there are NO other civilizations except those that eventually "rise from the primordial soup" of a new planet; you're the first civilization to arise. On the other hand, if it's that primative, even the concept of researching might be a little far-fetched...
[tabs: Forest] The civilization is at home in deep woods, where they know almost everything there is to know about the trees (and wildlife) around them. On the other hand, the woods are thick enough to make a forest fire a major disaster, and in the deepest woods live the most dangerous creatures...
[tabs: Gaia] Your realm is built on an ecological wonderland. Many animals, plants, minerals, and one "Exotic Resource" are available. All are beneficial. On the other hand it costs two Tweaks instead of one and Nature-based impacts will have double effect (so if your lair winds up on a fault line...) Does not stack with (and is in fact canceled by) The Crimson Corruption.
[tabs: Glacial] The Civilization has evolved on an ice planet, or in the great northern wastes. You know how to shield against extremes of cold and blizzards and know much about the animals of the frozen lands. On the other hand, it also means a potential lack of sun, food, and landmarks.
[tabs: Habitat] The Civilization starts in a sheltered, shielded habitat under observation by another species. Safety for the first two years is all but assured. On the other hand, the Habitat WILL malfunction and the shield will come down at some point, leaving you vulnerable to dangerous things.
[tabs: Hills] The Civilization hides in hills ranging in size from small to "almost-a-mountain". Many resources are available. On the other hand, tribes of hostile Humanoids and Big Guys like to live in places like this...
[tabs: Humid] The civilization is adapted to function in a a tropical swamplike or jungle environment. This means exotic fruit and plants, but also exotic giant bugs and diseases!
[tabs: Lava Layer] The Civilization lives deep, deep, DEEP below the ground, so far down that no one has ever broken to the surface. Adds immunity to great heat and access to rare earth minerals and gemstones such as diamonds are common. On the other hand, pristine, untouched forces of Earth and Fire have ways of dealing with those that plunder for resources...!
[tabs: Mountain] The Civilization's adapted for mountains and other high altitude places. You know how to survive in a high-altitude environment and know how to find and protect from landslides/avalanches, as well as have an increased stamina (+1 wound). On the other hand, if you're that isolated, ideas from the outside world will filter in extremely slowly and ideas from your own civilization will get out slower still!
[tabs: Mystic] The land is enveloped in a thick mystic atmosphere. Darkness is stronger and dreams become reality. On the other hand, magic is severely bendable here, and the atmosphere will mimic the nature of any uncontrolled magic triggers (especially things with charges, such as wands)
[tabs: Nocturnal] Your society has evolved under luna's light, and functions from sunset to sunrise, allowing yourselves to uncover secrets of the night and harvest things that bloom only in twilight. On the other hand, the sun will burn you badly if you're caught out under it for a great length of time and all other civilizations live and operate under the sun...
[tabs: One Life to Live] The Civilization loses the ability to wield magic that deals with healing and inflicting wounds (specifically the Cure/Inflict series of spells but bigger things like Restoration and Atonement are available) and cannot be raised nor ressurected whatsoever. You can't wield Necromancy at all, and only one in five Divine casters will be able to cast "alternate" healing spells (which must be researched, at 90+ Difficulty or greater). On the other hand, you also know your anatomy to a point that you can regenerate wounds three times as fast if you take no Action but rest, and deal +2 wounds on bare-handed attacks. Grants an additional two tweaks.
[tabs: Plains] The Civilization thrives on flat, easily farmable land. Gives bonuses to farming and raising domesticated animals. On the other hand, there isn't any real cover to speak of, and few sources of good water.
[tabs: Ravine] The Civilization lies within range of several very deep ravines (inspired by Minecraft). On the other hand, the local environment is very geologically unstable.
[tabs: Savannah] The Civilization functions best on the warm plains of a savannah. Lots of food and cover, but also lots of predators. On the other hand, while there might be a lot of wide open spaces, there may be very well little else.
[tabs: Toxic] The Civilization has evolved in a toxic or acidic landscape and is immune to all forms of poison, both normal and manufactured (Magical poisons work, but not a dragon's gas breath weapon). On the other had, there are no civilizations nearby and workable resources are few and far between.
[tabs: Volcanic] The Civilization knows how to survive on an active volcano, and knows how to deal with (or even profit from) things like eruptons, pyroclastic storms, and the like. On the other hand, there's always the risk for The Big One and other civilizations will be few and far between (and far from the volcano itself!).
[tabs: Chaos Zone] Magic is twistable here. Rolls regarding magic of any kind fluctuate between +/- 30% difficulty. Adds Mutation access for PCs (on character creation if wanted; 2 positive, 1 negative, randomly rolled and adapted from various wild surge generators). On the other hand, magic's so warp-able that things may happen for little or no reason (I won't fuck with you much but I won't make it easy).
[tabs: Celestial Event-] Trance increases at half its normal rate and all Actions have a -15 penalty. On the other hand you get an additional 2 Tweaks.
[tabs: Celestial Event+] All Actions get a +10 bonus and critical failures occur only on a Natural 1. On the other hand, Trance cooldown will be 11 instead of 7. Costs 2 Tweaks.
[tabs: Dead Magic Zone] Magic is all but impossible to cast, defend against, or research (+50% difficulty and -5 to saving throws). On the other hand, you have access to an "alternate" source of "magic" that rivals might covet and want for their own.
[tabs: Deviant Deity] Spiritual rolls have a 20% decrease in difficulty and a +8 to the roll, whie Sorcery enjoys a 10% decrease and a +4 to the roll. On the other hand, The Deity may make strange and sometimes dangerous demands. All hail Xom!
[tabs: Elemental Balance] The four classical elements are so in tune with one another, strengthening or wielding one weakens its opposite until the hold is relinquished. Strengthen Earth, unpredictable storms generate. Strengthen Water, fire becomes harder to control or start. Grants an additional two Tweaks. On the other hand, if too MUCH of one element is pushed or pulled in the wrong direction, you might destroy everything all at once...
[tabs: Elemental Shift] One element is dominant here while its opposition is weak. Begin with a large (dominant element) Elemental. On the other hand, you'll have rival elementals in no time flat trying to cancel each other out while they try to cancel you from the mortal realm!
[tabs: Elementally Torn] Elements are wild here and the realm is geographically unstable (earthquakes, heavy storms, etc). You may run into random Elementals of random sizes which you can befriend, control or dispel and destroy. On the other hand, elementally unstable areas are a mad sorcerer's playground...
[tabs: High Magic] Magic is a part of every day life and is 50% easier to research. Technology suffers a 25% decrease. On the other hand, magical beasts are naturally resistant to magic, or outright immune.
[tabs: Ley Line Node] The main village is built directly on a Ley Line. This gives a vastly increased storage of magical potential. On the other hand, it's also a Ley Line Fault, and if a "magic quake" were to occur, it would not go well.
[tabs: Low Magic] Magic (either Arcane or Divine) is extremely rare. While it exists, it's incredibly hard to research (75% tougher, making it all but impossible). What magic is found it is exceptionally concentrated and powerful (potions for example, pack 3 times the potency). On the other hand, most things will be weak to magic (including you!) and gods as a whole simply do not exist.
[tabs: Redstone] The world has special minerals: Emerald Jade, Crimson Jade and Bloodstone Jade -- that serve as magical conducting powder to power devices. On the other hand, it's lethally toxic on contact (Emerald), twitchy-explosive in water (Crimson) or necromantically hallucinatory (Bloodstone). All three convert acid to water on contact. Requires special tools to mine safely.
[tabs: Spiritually Open] The veil between worlds is shattered in places and allows access to the Spirit World (and local control of it) far easier. On the other hand, I hope you brought a spirit world defense force...
[tabs: Spiritually Sealed] The veil between worlds is strong, disallowing access to the spirit world and other planes without major effort. Dead things will find it very hard to pass on without help. On the other hand it works both ways, so undead that ARE on this side will be far more powerful than normal.
[tabs: Warpstone Deposit] The Civilization begins within range of a large Warpstone deposit, allowing Mutation access as a Skaven would. On the other hand, Warpstone is a -valuable- resource, and where you find Warpstone, you find the Rats.
[tabs: "Z" Syndrome] The Civilization's members have a 1/350 chance to have a member both immune to scrying and intimately interwoven with the Spirit World, existing within both worlds at once in more than just a figurative way. Allows fine manipulation of the Spirit World using Sorcery instead of Spiritual. Costs three Tweaks. On the other hand, such power is barely able to be controlled and their nightmares may become reality, so as to prey on the civilization.
[tabs: Accelerated Maturity] Children grow up FAST, shaving two years off growing up (Minimum 6 months). Costs two Tweaks. On the other hand, it also cuts natural life expectancy in half (Elders may die of old age after a time) and requires 25% more food to survive.
[tabs: Animal] Instead of a sentient being, 2/3 of the population are sentient animals. Not furries in the Anthro-Kin sense, but actual animals with average intelligence. Animal will be chosen by players, and all will be same animal. On the other hand, you have your place in the food chain, start as nomadic hunter/gatherers, and likely have no hands with which to manipulate the world (depending on the animal that is voted in)
[tabs: Distressingly Furry] Your nearest neighbors are (neutral) Anthro-Kin and no nearby neighbor within a year's travel will be "humanoid"; it will all be animal based (Lycanthropes, Wemics, Skaven, Garou, etc). On the other hand, Actions are affected by the phases of the moon (-30 penalty for Actions under a new moon, to +30 bonus for a Full Moon) and celestial events / omens will have much much greater impact. Moonphase is randomly rolled when Actions are done unless you say when you're doing it; if everyone always does everything at full moon, that will soon become predictable to their enemies...
[tabs: Fast Breeding] Breeding is sped up by 25% and a year is shaved off breeding times (minimum 1 year). On the other hand, you'll need a lot of food to feed all those mouths (about 70% more). Canceled by Sickly Breeding.
[tabs: Forever Alone] There are NO civilizations other than yours. The only threats will be from animals, magical beasts, politics, and internal trouble. On the other hand, while you don't have to share resources, if things go bad then there's no one to help you either! The Spirit Realm will be as empty as the physical. Costs 2 Tweaks.
[tabs: Guilty] The Civilization is guilty of a massive crime in celestial or social circles and is completely shunned as a result. Alongside the main quest will be a Quest for Redemption. On the other hand, because no one will be seen associating with you, or even beating you up, you don't have to worry about other races attacking you.
[tabs: Hivemind] The society functions off of a central hive mind. This grants several bonuses (hard to flank, psychic protection, emotional strength, etc). On the other hand, if the central Queen is killed, the civilization fragments and collapses. There is only one Queen or Central Mind, although another may be grown once every 7 years.
[tabs: Inbred] The Civilization carries multiple genetic deformities (bad sight, dulled senses, albino, twisted limbs, Sloth). On the other hand, it also grants an additional two Tweaks and one additional "rolled randomly" Tweak.
[tabs: Interracial+] The Civilization starts with 1 random additional racial pro from three randomly rolled races. Costs 2 Tweaks. On the other hand other civilizations may be jealous or consider you abominations to be hunted and eliminated.
[tabs: Interracial-] The Civilization starts with 1 random additional racial con from three randomly rolled races. On the other hand it grants an additional Tweak and 20 members of the races that were randomly rolled; these are neutral to start and specialized in some way.
[tabs: Lawful Connections] The Civilization is friends with two Lawful Races, overruling natural tendencies and allowing the sharing of resources. On the other hand, a Great Evil will crawl across the land as a second Main Quest and you'll need to use everything at your disposal to drive it back!
[tabs: Loner] The Civilization is extremely stubborn and hard headed where the characters ignore the wishes of their players, not always doing the right thing. Picking three options from the write up becomes picking two, with the third being chosen for you. SAs and FHs have a 50% to be ignored when attempted (but you still lose it as if it were used if Loner triggers). Grants an additional four Tweaks and three "special" Gifts not related to the Aspects.
[tabs: Nomadic] The Civilization is tribal and nomadic, traveling with the food source(s) and spending their nights in tents and minor fortifications that can be quickly broken down. On the other hand, you have to travel as fast as your food, making heavy armor and carrying a lot of goods not such a decent idea.
[tabs: Population+] You start with a population increase of 30% of the top 3 races. On the other hand, this extra increase is of a "rogue faction" whose loyalty you must win.
[tabs: Population-] You start with a population decrease of 40% of the top 3 races. On the other hand, you start with twice as much food, masterwork gear and an additional Tweak.
[tabs: Pro] The opposite of Loner; the Civilization rolls twice and uses the better result on Actions (and yes, the effects of two rolls means Aspects advance at double the speed). Stacks with some racial skills. Costs three Tweaks and what once was unlockable becomes locked. If paired with Loner, Loner will trigger on the second roll so that it might not always happen.
[tabs: Racial Enemy] The nearest civilization is your racial/tribal enemy. There will never be peace and they outnumber you 3d2 to one. On the other hand you guys are tough from constant battle and have +5 wounds.
[tabs: Sickly Breeding] Breeding speed is cut in half. 15% of those die at birth. 15% who survive die in childhood. On the other hand, those that survive are robust (+3 wounds). Canceled by Fast Breeding.
[tabs: Solitary] The Civilization is PCs only instead of a traditional civilization, and you prefer your own "monkeysphere" (tribemate PCs) to the idea of a greater civilization. This reduces need for almost everything to a small group. On the other hand, you're vastly outnumbered in an extremely unforgiving land...
[tabs: Underdark Connections] Friendly tribe of (Underdark critter) trades with you, allowing access to nifty stuff. On the other hand the enemies of the Underdark (Lawful Races) might be gunning for you if they suspect you're friendly or supplying them.
[tabs: Tolerant] The Civilization is tolerant of other species, and this filters to others. First contact with other civilizations will never be worse than Neutral, and racial "uncomfortableness" is eliminated. Current wars will begin with uneasy, fragile truces. On the other hand, a rival religion is preaching eternal war with you, both from outside sources and a cult within!
[tabs: Antennae] The Civilization has visible antennae that sense surroundings as well as invisibility, making it very difficult to sneak up on. On the other hand, if the antennae are cut off, all other senses are severely impaired... and your enemy will know this and exploit it. Costs two Tweaks.
[tabs: Augmentation] The Civilization has augmented physical and mental capabilities thanks to an outside source. On the other hand, if you've got the gifts, other civilizations might get them as well or covet you as slaves! Costs two Tweaks.
[tabs: Chameleon Skin] The Civilization can change the color of its skin, providing stealth in a number of environments. On the other hand, such skin is deviant from mother nature, and therefore valuable in Sorcery...
[tabs: Claws] The Civilization has razor sharp claws that deal +1 wound and can be used for digging. On the other hand, "magical" metals (especially Mithril and dragon scales) cannot be pierced through.
[tabs: Dragon's Blood] The Civilization's members are descendants of an ancient Wyrm, 1 in 3 is related to the dragon directly, 1 in 20 has markings declaring heritage, 1 in 35 has Scales (armor, elemental resistance), 1 in 70 has large wings for flight, 1 in 90 has Breath; PCs will have a 1 in 5 chance to have any or all five of these. On the other hand, you may suffer the same weaknesses dragons have (greed, elemental attacks, Familicide, etc).
[tabs: Extra Arms] The Civilization has an extra pair of arms to help with the heavy lifting (+5 Strength, +1 wound). on the other hand, other civilizations don't have these extra arms, thus their clothes, armor and otherwise aren't suited to you.
[tabs: Fuzzy] Your Civilization comes equipped with a thick layer of fur, protecting from the elements to an extent and giving some slight natural armor. On the other hand, your pelts are valuable for their warmth... and -you- try wearing clothes and armor over such thick fur; in a hot environment this could be trouble!
[tabs: Giant] The Civilization is 50% bigger in size than normal, allowing access to larger than man-sized weapons and technologies which enable you to both deal more damage as well as be able to take more damage (+3 Wounds). On the other hand, have you ever tried building homes for an entire tribe of giants? Things get expensive. Cancels and is canceled by Stunty.
[tabs: Hooves] The Civilization has large hooves in place of feet. Deals +1 wound in combat (a kick attack). On the other hand, normal and magical boots are out of the question, though horseshoes are not.
[tabs: Horns] The Civilization has horns that can be used to headbutt, to knock back enemies and break down fortifications. Stacks with the Horns racial power of Minotaurs. On the other hand the horns are seen as very valuable in magic use, and therefore you may be hunted for them.
[tabs: Large Bone Plates] The Civilization has armor-boosting bone plates along its body, arms and legs, like a pangolin. Armor value increases over time. These plates can be used to backhand an enemy (treated as a mace). On the other hand, all this extra bone is very heavy, slowing you down and you can't wear most forms of armor.
[tabs: Lycanthropy] 20% of the Civilization's population is a Were(mammal, chosen randomly), with power based on the animal rolled. On the other hand, this is not the controllable type of lycanthropy (nor will there be one!) :P
[tabs: Nightstalker] The Civilization is attuned to the shadows and can Blink from shadow to shadow. Grants exceptional stealth. On the other hand, if detected, the effect is disasterously easy to counterspell... or completely remove entirely (though the ability regenerates after one game year)!
[tabs: Powered By Death] The Civilization gets a great deal of spiritual and regenerative power from killing mortal things. On the other hand, like any other addictive drug, the death must constantly flow and sooner or later sacrificing your own people (or common animals) will not be enough to sustain you.
[tabs: Powered By Pain] The Civilization gets power from physical pain, bolstering their offensive and defensive capabilities (wound resistance and a bonus to saving throws). On the other hand, such constant pain ruins your social life (-20 to all Social rolls) and you attract Demons, potentially major ones.
[tabs: Prehensile Tail] The Civilization has a prehensile tail that can be used as an extra hand, snap like a whip, or to "hang around." On the other hand, such thick tails may slow you down, or ruin sense of balance if they're cut off (when you're not tripping over them or getting them caught on something).
[tabs: Scaled] Your Civilization has scales, which adds natural armor and a minor resistance to arrows. On the other hand, you're also weaker against those things that traditionally harm dragons.
[tabs: Spiny] The Civilization has evolved spines. This allows damage on contact, like a porcupine. On the other hand, the spines take a year to grow back if they break off and you can't wear most forms of armor.
[tabs: Stink] The Civilization stinks, literally. Whether it's to drive off predators or mark territory or what have you, the Civilization has some potent glands. On the other hand, said glands are very valuable in research and so you may be hunted for them.
[tabs: Stunty] The Civilization's only about 50% as big as they should be in size. This means you can fit and fight in tight spaces where others cannot reach. On the other hand, small size makes you easy to injure (+1 wound to all injuries) and you can't wield bigger things. Cancels and is canceled by Giant.
[tabs: Taur] You're quadraped, not biped. You have a greater constitution and health (+2 Wounds) and can move at a faster speed. On the other hand, large size like this will require greater amounts of food (40% greater).
[tabs: Thick Skull] The Civilization's evolved to have a very thick skull. This protects against mental effects and being knocked out or psychically assaulted. On the other hand, such skulls are valuable for magic theory and study, thus you may be hunted.
[tabs: Tiny] The Civilization is 33% normal size, which means less space is needed to live and it's easy to hide from one's enemies. On the other hand, -everything- looks big to a tiny creature and that presents its own problems. Stacks with Stunty (reducing you to 15% size and +2 wounds to injuries) but is canceled by Giant.
[tabs: Venomous] The Civilization packs a potent poison, by bite, claws or blood. Stacks with Lizard Man venom. On the other hand, surrounding civilizations will already know you're poisonous and will have taken steps to antidote it with varying degrees of success.
[tabs: Carnivore] The Civilization gets only 10% or no nourishment from plants, and requires meat to survive. On the other hand, you know everything there is to know about meat, which is useful knowledge to sell or experiment with. Cancels and is canceled by Herbivore.
[tabs: Dweomervore] You live on magical energy, not regular meat and plants. On the other hand, you're also fixed to the local area, you're adapted only to the local "form" of background magical radiation. Grants an additional Tweak.
[tabs: Herbivore] The Civilization thrives on plants, fruits, vegestables and farming and can get only 10% or no nourishment from meat. On the other hand, if it deals with farming and growing plants, you know how to do it and this is useful knowledge to sell or experiment with. Cancels and is canceled by Carnivore.
[tabs: H2Ovore] The Civilization gets all its nutrition from the most basic of elixirs: Water. On the other hand, if your sources of water are even the slightest bit tainted...
[tabs: Metallivore] The Civilization has evolved some strange tastes, prefering metal or gems to meat and plants (which you can sell to other civilizations for a tidy profit). On the other hand, run out of metal, run out of food... and metal is not a renewable resource.
[tabs: Mundivore] The Civilization can literally eat anything, and don't suffer half as badly if they eat something toxic, rotten, or corruptive. On the other hand, metabolism is sped up by 150% because while they can eat anything, they get far less nutrition from food than they normally would. Grants 2 Tweaks. Overwrites and replaces all other food-related Tweaks.
[tabs: Necrovore] The Civilization gets its power and sustenence from the destruction of positive energy, the dead, and the freshly dying. Those on their natural death bed provide the most nourishment. Grants Necromancy specialization. On the other hand, you're targeted by 1d2+1 allied Lawful Races in the area with intent to exterminate.
[tabs: Niche] The Civilization's in a specific ecological niche, with a fixed place on the food chain both as hunter and hunted. If the ecology collapses in either direction, so too does the civilization! On the other hand, it grants an additional two Tweaks and some nifty starting gear related to the ecosystem both in knowledge and materials.
[tabs: Vorpal Animals] The animals in the surrounding lands are hostile large/giant predators. Meat from hunts is increased by 50%. On the other hand, "named" Big Animals will be too close for comfort and quite clever...
[tabs: Animal Riders] 30% of the total population will own a Dire (something) that is domesticated and can be ridden. On the other hand, it's also more mouths to feed, train, house, and prevent from in-fighting in the case of multiple species.
[tabs: Cavalry] The Civilization thrives on (something)-back. 75% of the population will have a (really stupid, but trained) large riding beast of some kind. On the other hand, it's more mouths to feed and stop from wandering off or being stolen, and these beasts of burden make poor combatants...
[tabs: Chocobo] Chocobos are available for the Civilization. These bird-brained featherheads provide a 250% increase in overland speed and a good source of meat. Different colors give special abilities. On the other hand, you have to find them and tame them first, and their special abilities will be used against you to avoid such a taming! WARK!
[tabs: Golgotha] Someone of the Civilization's race just ascended to (demi)godhood. The site of ascension is a holy site for the Civilization. You will not have contact with this being (they're off in another dimension being trained :P ). Greatly boosts spiritual power and provides a powerful shrine. On the other hand, if the site is destroyed or befouled, your spiritual power will completely drain away, along with your means of magical healing.
[tabs: Doomsday Clock] The Civilization is built close to the realm's Doomsday or an earth shattering Grand Disaster. The Civilization will be one of the very few who survives (not without heavy loss, but it WILL survive) the abrupt change from the World of Light to the World of Ruin. On the other hand, resources you control will be vastly valuable to those others that do survive. Grants 3 extra Tweaks.
[tabs: Marked for Death] Something big's targeted the Civilization for some form of revenge. Could be an army, a dragon, or something else "large". On the other hand you're already wise to the tricks of the revenge-minded, which will allow you to plan accordingly for bonuses against a favored enemy.
[tabs: Mark of Coyote] Spiritual power is doubled and 5% of the population can "talk to god". On the other hand, technology and sorcery advance at 1/3 speed and those who can't "talk to god" also have a tough time being influenced (or gifted) by said god. Costs two tweaks.
[tabs: Pirates] Each vote starts aboard their own ship (so it's a medium to large ship) and you start as an armada from a central island under your control. Maximum of ten ships (so 20 votes get 140 per ship, thus larger ships...). On the other hand, there is *always* a bigger fish than you and the ocean is deep indeed...
[tabs: Scaled Experience] All monsters, animals, and other Civilizations will scale with you in experience. If you develop new means to deal with them, you can be sure that they will have answers to those means shortly thereafter! Essentially turns the "arms race" dial up to 11. On the other hand, it -does- grant 3 extra Tweaks...
[tabs: Steampunk] Technology-based rolls have a 25% reduction in difficulty and you have access to a precious metal mine. On the other hand there's a well-established rival civilization that wants control of your resources (or you) and a truce is not an option.
[tabs: Technologically Inept] The Civilization's a bunch of neanderthals. Technology-related rolls can never be less than 90+ in difficulty. More advanced than the Neolithic Era cannot be replicated. Metals can never be smelted unless you steal someone's forges/smelters after witnessing how they work. On the other hand it also grants a council of 6 Masters ("Elders") to start and an additional two Tweaks.[/tabs]

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu May 29, 2014 3:52 am

Even if we don't end up as nomadic space pirates, I'm sure we'll come up with some way to break your plotline. It might just take us a little longer. Even so, considering the work you've put in, hopefully not by too much.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 29, 2014 5:44 am

I put together a Race info list which should make decisions and or planning slightly easier. (I plan on putting a pro/con list together also, maybe by this afternoon.
► Show Spoiler
Some of this information may be incorrect and subject to change.

Key:
Blue indicates Half-Breed
Orange cannot be half-bred
Green can be half-bred

Tweak List
► Show Spoiler
Please ignore the top line that says 3 Tweaks, this number should be 7, Aegis will take the top 7 voted for and then draw 3 at random
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu May 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Badge - I think your cost for the + should be changed.
If for regular tweaks you gave a cost of -1, for tweak that give additional 2 tweaks you need to give cost of +1(and not +2 like you did).
for example if you have 1 tweak left and you choose a tweak that give you additional 2 tweaks, you now have 2 tweaks left (+1), not 3.

Aegis - Do you know how you want to make the votes for this thing?
In the past people voted and added votes for the extra tweaks, I think it should be simplified (plus I think you mentioned you give us additional random tweaks, so we might end up with less/more tweaks randomly).

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Well, right now it's "vote for 10, top 7 get in", with the bottom 3 becoming unlockable later and an additional 3 rolled randomly. Badge worked out that if you took those Tweaks that gave the most additional ones, the second vote would have upwards of 18+ bonus tweaks. We discussed the idea of "tweak packages" people could vote on to min/max things a bit, but we'll see what happens when I'm ready to launch.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:08 pm

Not to jinx it or anything but it looks like I may even aim for the beginning of July for the start of Civ 6. I doubt people will be around over the 4th though... maybe I'll start it the 6th... IF things settle "easily".

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Theorycrafting thread is up. Rules posted there. I'm abandoning this thread.

Bahamut
Whispers Softly

Post by Bahamut » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:01 am

Because of the three that losing a vote might get One Life into the top 7 giving us a second round of voting I haven't voted for dragons blood (which I would prefer to drop) and would rather have the trade routes from resource poor -

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:03 am

resource poor- is trade route....though sadly there wasn't a tweak called simply - trade routes