Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:01 pm

"Only bits and pieces from old stories..."

Arcana: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:11 pm

He nods, "Well, there is a spell that allows a mage strong enough to transport themselves or others to a different plane of existence. Trick is, that you need to have a special, and not inexpensive component for the spell... a rod, attuned to the plane you're trying to reach. It takes a special process to produce the rod, and then to imbue it with the essence of that plane, well... that's hard to do without going there. Usually means finding something from that plane and transferring their essence to the rod, or some such. Someone who has the know how and magic to plane shift, they could use this device to any of the planes this is attuned to. The attuned rod wouldn't be needed as a material component, as long as you have this. For example, this is the Plane of Fire."

He fiddles with it again, and it shimmers, replaced with the purples and oranges of a sunset swirling across a verdant orb. Constellations flit about, slowly dancing across the 'sky'.

"The Feywild. There are likely others, but I didn't want to meddle too far, and discovering how to alter the orb's orientation to key in on other planes was getting a bit too... trial and error... for experimenting with unknown magics."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:22 pm

"Could monstrosities be summoned back from these other realms? Or can it only be used to send? The others told me the sewers where this orb was found were filled with horrible abominations like nothing they'd seen before. Can you tell anything about when it was last used? IF it was used?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 pm

"To my knowledge, only to send. Though if such beings found a way in, it's possible that they could have been drawn to something at least partially attuned to their plane?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 am

Nem sighs.

"Well... I think we have a problem. Are you willing to return the device to me?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 am

"Doing that would likely mean burning bridges with Pembleton, and by extension, the city of Galistri. Not just for myself, but the Guild I represent.", Zottle says, shaking his head.

"I don't know who has the original claim, but taking a pay out from him keeps you alive."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 am

Randy gives Dornikal a glance. "I sent a warning in to Tess a few minutes ago. She hasn't responded yet. Could be she's just busy. You up to storming a wizards' stronghold if necessary, though? "
Randy carefully studies the door, noting the material and if there are any glyphs on or around it.

perception: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
Last edited by Lurks_In_Shadows on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am

Your ability to study the door from a block away is pretty limited, but you don't notice anything interesting. It looks wooden.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am

Gordon... Recovering from his being slightly sick, is standing idly by but (notices?) the tall human glaring at a door across the street.

Gordon walks towards the door. (Lance in hands)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Randy lets Gordon get a bit of a head start then goes after him, using the opportunity afforded to get a better look.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:29 pm

You both reach the street side entrance in the fence, the walkway to the door stretching in front of you.

Randy confirms the door is in fact wooden, and there seem to be some arcane-ish symbols carved into it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Gordon attempts to reach the door, and is quite sad as he fails repeatedly. Unwilling to give up so quickly though, he points his lance away from himself in an effort to touch the door with just the tip.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Randy watches Gordon's attempts to reach the door with considerable interest and some amusement, watching to see how close he gets before the spell stops him.
"Mmmmmhmmmmm."
After a couple of minutes of this, he corrals the wayward gnome and ushers him back to the bench.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:49 pm

His lance is quite a bit short of the door, as the building is set back a ways from the street, and he's essentially walking in place just inside the entrance to the walkway.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:55 pm

"Uh. Sure but are ye sure it really nessa...wait where are ye two?"

Dornikal gives a glance back at the guards before following beside Randy.

"How long ye gonna let him do that?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Your antics are being casually observed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:12 pm

"That's long enough, I think."
Randy estimates the distance from where the spell stops Gordon to the door.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:07 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 am "Doing that would likely mean burning bridges with Pembleton, and by extension, the city of Galistri. Not just for myself, but the Guild I represent.", Zottle says, shaking his head.

"I don't know who has the original claim, but taking a pay out from him keeps you alive."
"Well love, it doesn't sound like you're leaving me much choice in this. I must admit that I didn't expect to be robbed when I came in here last night, and by the guild no less! Give me one moment please."

She sighs and pulls out the piece of wire for the Message spell, not bothering to conceal it from Zottle.

"May I?"

Assuming he agrees - To Randy: "What's going on?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:23 pm

He pulls a bit of a face, but waves his hand for you to proceed.

Gordon is about 5 ft from the streetside, and 25ft from the door.

Randy hears a voice.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Randy quickly gives her a summary.
"We have the swords. Anders thinks that the mayor is behind the murder and theft. We are being watched."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:23 am

When Tess is done conferring with Randy.

"I should note that any violence perpetuated on the grounds is an act of violence against the guild itself, which does provide you some measure of protection while you are here. But if you do something to anger Mister Pembleton, he may feel free to act on it once you leave."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 pm

"How do ye purpose we launch an attack on a place we can't reach Randy? Aye'm not much of a wizard ye know."

He goes to the entrance and tries to entice Gordon back to the bench with water. The little cuss is probably thirsty after all that running.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Gordon leans heavily on his lance as he's quickly tired of trying to get to the door. He yells a few curses into the air. As the not gnome approaches with the temptation of water, Gordon finds himself corralled back to the bench and drinking the liquid goodness

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:56 pm "How do ye purpose we launch an attack on a place we can't reach Randy? Aye'm not much of a wizard ye know."

He goes to the entrance and tries to entice Gordon back to the bench with water. The little cuss is probably thirsty after all that running.
Randy looks thoughtfully at the door. "I figure trying an alternate route, such as the roof, first. Unless we're in a real hurry. In that case, we blow the front door. Door's wood and the spell glyph is on it. I figure that fireball gem I'm carrying would probably clear that out quite handily. " He gives a grim little smile. "Of course, that's likely to draw the attention of the entire city garrison, so I'd rather not try it unless we absolutely had to. Hopefully we won't. I just heard from Tess and let her know what's up out here. Unless she feels like she needs us to get her out, we'll wait for them to come on out."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm

"Ye got a fireball gem? Aye'd like to see that. Why wouldn't ye have told me? Ye know how aye feel bout gems..."

He waters the gnome back at the bench.