Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am

((@Thinks, give me an intelligence roll with advantage anyhow. Also are you following the same path back or heading southwest and forging a new path that is hopefully devoid of frogs and bears?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 am

Jolly takes a breath and moves into the tent to attack the first foe he sees (purple), while Celus attacks the other (green). Dama fires on the fleeing cleric.

Kroshav dreams of napping in the sun.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17222
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am


User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 am

Jolly enters the tent and blinks back tears as the heat hits him and swings at the nearest hob, but everything together results in a less than accurate attack. Celus turns to face the nearest hob but starts coughing along with the hobs but, unlike Jolly, the attack movements are so ingrained in his muscle memory he is still able to cut down his opponent. The puddle of blood around Kroshav grows but it isn't clear who of the three there are contributing most to it.

Arbelm grabs Jesp by the shoulder and yells in dwarven,

"Drag the general out the side here, I will get Kroshav."

Arbelm then proceeds to move to the west of the dwarf and cut a hole in the side of the tent before reaching down and pulling Kroshav out a short distance.
Outside Dama tries to take down the cowardly cleric but only adds and arrow to their broken ribs.
The fighting to the east seems to be getting closer based on the increasing sounds of combat.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn<-----
Team Jesp
Jaq
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (KO, dying)
Ginrak (KO, dying)
Team Kroshav

(Lot of low damage rolls this round, still at least everyone but Jolly connected!)
---
The image shown in the mirror looks a lot like the road Ves was walking on earlier and, based on the light, seems to be facing the east from a lot higher than ground level.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17222
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

Ves frowns. ((The boy was taken east with the army, right?))

She'll make a mental note of the image of the road, and will investigate after she's delivered Joe to safety. She's still undecided about getting involved in a war, but increasingly feels like there's a contribution she could make. Should make. She'll hurry onwards, leading Joe back to the town where she hopes to catch up to Tom(?) the farmer.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 am

((You named them! It's Tom, Grey and Cassie. I've got them on the first page of OOC.

Grey went east with the army, Tom and Cassie should be in the next town/village.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17222
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm

((I know! But I've named a lot of NPCs in my time, and it was a while ago :lol: Thanks for the reminder, Ves will hurry on to try and find them))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13499
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm

((Last turn with Indra's extra movement I would have had her move up next to one of our unconscious allies. I think there was more than just Kroshav? If not, then Kroshav.)

This turn: If there was another friendly for Indra to pull, she'll start to drag whoever she wound up next to, aiming to get them out. Otherwise she'll just help with getting Kroshav out.

Lurn will focus in on the remaining outside hob (red) and hit it with a Toll The Dead, while Fand will throw a rock at it.
Toll The Dead: 1D8 = [6] = 6
1D12 = [4] = 4
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 am

((There were too many people in the way for Indra to get over to Ern last turn but I moved her to behind where Arbelm was so she is in place to drag Ern out this turn.))

Inside, Indra cuts her own way out of the tent and grabs the prone, bleeding Ern and drags him out a short distance while Jesp none too gentle pulls out Fadris. The still coughing Amar disengages and stumbles out into the fresh air. Blinking the smoke from his eyes he moves to stand beside Indra

Outside, the warrior hob red pauses and looks around with concern as the bells toll for him but is clearly more affected by the rock into the back of his neck thrown by Fand.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Jaq<-----
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (KO, dying)
Ginrak (KO, dying)
Team Kroshav

((Two hobs from NE hobsquad are still up inside the tent and two outside. Jaq can probably see the movement of Arbelm to the north of him.

Inside the tent the disadvantage from the smoke doesn't go away and if Celus and the hob don't move they will take fire damage.))

Maps
Inside:
► Show Spoiler
Outside
► Show Spoiler
----
thinkslogically wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm
((Ves will hurry on to try and find them))
((But how are you planning on going? Retracing your steps to the road or forging a new path back to it? Or alternatively just continuing west through the forest, but that would be the slowest option. If you are retracing your steps you don't need any rolls beyond whatever is needed to get by the bears/frog. If you are taking a different way back you can give me a survival roll (for speed) and a d20.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17222
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am

Let's avoid the bears and make a new path.

Survival: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9


Spending a luck point:
Survival: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8


Ouch.

_: 1D20 = [19] = 19

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 am

((Is Celus more of a STR or DEX fighter?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2754
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 am

Peeking in the tent Jaq sees no further downed friends so he instead moves up to Kroshav, grabs an old healing potion out of his bag and hopes it helps rather than poisons the dragonborn, and tries to get it down the unconscious friend's throat. He yells, "Lurn, need you here!" After administering the potion he will move 10 feet more away from the tent.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 am

Jaq moves up and feeds Kroshav an old, potentially off, potion. Surprisingly enough the potion seems to have improved with time and rather than tasting a bit like dirt it tastes like a pleasantly sweet blend of apple and grapes! As a bonus it also seems to have more of a healing kick as well. Golden scales reform as wounds close up as Kroshav wakes, the delicious flavor of the potion lingering on his tongue.
Coughing, both of the hobs inside the tent disengage and run out of the tent, following their companions to the east. Fadris doesn't seem any worse for wear after Jesp's rough handling, which is to say not good but also not yet dead. No one is close enough, or seem to care, about Ginrak's status.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Jaq
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (KO, dying)
Ginrak (KO, dying)
Team Kroshav<-----

((Celus is a strength fighter. Jolly can go either way and Indra is very much a dex fighter.))
----
Ves has Joe gather up their things and sets a new course back to the road that is hopefully devoid of things that want to eat them. Unfortunately the path she takes isn't terribly straight due to a number of obstacles like tree falls, washouts and a dangerous looking sinkhole - all of which require more time and some backtracking. Taking a good hour more than it took them to get to the Fancy bandit's treasure they eventually get back to the road with not much prospect of getting to town before dark short of running full out the entire way.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 17412
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:05 am

How large are the obstacles?

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:19 am

((They varied from a few feet to several dozen, it was more the number of detours than their impassibility. Also you can give me an int roll for Joe on what she was looking at in the mirror.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 17412
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 am

For the obstacles that are only a few feet, Joe can conjure items to help. Like for the trees she can conjure a stool or mini steps, for the wash out she can conjure a board and we can avoid the sinkhole.

[1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 pm

((Joe didn't notice any more than Ves did.))
----
((Kroshav's team is up if you missed it Spider!))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:53 pm

((I did miss it! I'll keep that in mind for Celus, ended up not mattering, since hobs went before him, but was considering having him shove the hob into the conflagration.))

Can Celus see the desk, or is it too obscured by smoke or fire? Want him to grab the journal/maps of they can be saved. If not, then exit to the east, along with Jolly, actions after that may depend on what they see?

Dama fires on one of the fleeing hobs to the east.

Kroshav grips Jaq's shoulder in thanks, rolling to his feet.

"Any of ours still in there?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17222
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:04 pm

"Crap. That took longer than I hoped... No bears at least, but we'll be hard pressed to make it to town now. Let's make camp and move on in the morning."

Finding a camp spot:
Survival: 1D20+5 = [1]+5 = 6


Oh, using a luck on that...

Survival: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:14 am

Inside the tent Celus is left standing and coughing with Jolly as the hobs dash out. He half turns to look at the burning table beside him with watering eyes. Some of the documents have started to burn but the map hasn't nor have a few leather covered books, but even these are starting to blacken. Sheathing his sword and gritting his teeth he scoops up what he can and runs out past Jolly into the fresh air. Jolly doesn't need to be told its time to get out and follows. Right outside the pair see the fleeing hobs, the two nearest warriors (green and purple) are within reach for an attack should he pursue them. The furthest warrior (red) is too far away for an attack but he can catch up with them, but that would take him past green and purple. The cleric hob is right beside him and requires no chasing to get.

Dama simply shoots the furthest flee warrior hob (red) but a shift in the wind blows smoke into her eyes and badly fouls the shot.
Arbelm looks briefly relieved before answering Kroshav,

"There were several still in there when I pulled you out. I am going back in to check. Someone stop her," she points at the general, "from bleeding to death."


((Everything after this point happens after Kroshav's team's turn.))

Arbelm ducks into the tent for a few moments before returning, coughing and holding a small, heavy looking chest in her arms she quickly chokes out, "Its clear, they must have went out the other side. We need to gather back up, where is everyone? Regroup to the south of the tent."

To the south Lurn spots a mixed squad of four, two hobs and two bugbear, notice them and change paths from heading to the east. After some yelled discussion they all dash to engage, a hob and bugbear on Lurn and Dama.

The fighting to the east seems to be intensifying as the number of explosions dwindles. Lurn spots a few large, winged creatures through the smoke of the burning tent rising above the tree line in the north of the camp and wheel towards the east.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Mixsquad
Team Lurn <-----
Team Jesp
Jaq
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (KO, dying)
Ginrak (KO, dying)
Team Kroshav

((Jolly still has his action surge.))

Map
► Show Spoiler
---
Ves decides that rather than come to town after dark they may as well get an early rise and head in tomorrow. They only have a four, maybe five, hour walk left but as it is now approaching dinner time they can just camp for the night. She quickly finds a good place a few dozen feet from the south of road to spend the night.

((You've got a around three hours of daylight left, doing anything else before bed? Are you keeping a watch? If so can I get some perception rolls. Also can I get a d20 from one of you.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 am

((Jolly and Celus if he can, attack the cleric.))

Kroshav tries to see if he can stabilize the General.

Medicine: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6


((If that doesn't kill her outright...))

"Jesp, I can heal her to keep her alive, but she'll wake up. Can you be ready to knock her out again? Gently?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 am

After watching Kroshav try to close wounds by variously pinching them closed and counting to three then letting go or covering them with his hand, Jesp responds to his question by choking down on his hammer and readying it,

"Meh maul'sa big hammer. Aye can knock her upside the skull a wee bit softer." There is a hint of happiness in his voice at the prospect, "Aye ken give the fixing her up a try first though?"

On the other side of the tent Jolly attacks the cleric but still doesn't have the smoke clear from his eyes and misses badly. Celus drops everything he picked up inside on the ground just outside, figuring it will hold, and joins Jolly in attacking the cleric hob. His aim isn't great but he does manage to catch the fleeing hob on his second swing, coughing all the while. The hob cleric, losing more blood than she can afford, calls out something which gets the attention of the pair of fleeing warriors.

(Spider, did you want Jolly up just south of the cleric or to the SW? The stabilization attempt was Kroshav's action so any healing will have to wait.)
Initiative:
Arbelm
Mixsquad
Team Lurn <-----
Team Jesp
Jaq
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (KO, dying)
Ginrak (KO, dying)
Team Kroshav

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:12 am

((SW is fine? Yes, I wanted to tell Jesp so he can hold his action to clunk her when Kroshav heals, but if he feels like he can stabilize her, he can go for it.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6111

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am

((He would get to act before her anyhow so he doesn't need to hold off a whole round.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 19577

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:30 am

((Sure, might as well have him try a medicine check! Kroshav can heal and he can bop if she's still around and not stable yet.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply