Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17042
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:15 pm

((We'll pause for lunch for sure, but how far is it until we get to the next town?))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16877
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:56 pm

(Sure. Its called fire bolt and shape water (freeze).)

Joe is fine in not doing that and sleep in the barn, trying to sleep as long as possible.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12849
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 pm

"Excellent, setting up near the wizards will be good; the quartermaster told me I should get some magic armour examined today, before I give it to him."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:46 pm

((The towns are spaced a day's walk apart from each other, half a day's ride. Joe and Ves have a full eight hours of walking to get to the next town but summer days are long so you'd arrive only a bit after dark if you don't take much of a break here.

@Burns, what?))

---

Six figures in robes move up from the main encampment to the area Albelm's squad is patrolling. They move past without a word, in a quiet discussion with each other. After a few minutes of discussion near the middle of the flat one pauses and tilts her head as if listening to something before speaking more loudly to the others,

"We are to prepare it here, in case. I have received confirmation that they are ready in Seat."

Two of the robed figures cast about and find some sticks and begin drawing in the dirt.

The untrained recruits on the south with Lurn stop making any pretense of patrolling to stand and gawk at them and have grouped up into a clump to get the best view. Fend asks generally,

"What they doin' there?"

But before anyone can answer Albelm moves in and says loudly with a bit of threat,

"Split up, move and look outwards." She points away from the wizards and to the east for emphasis.

((Arcana from anyone that would be trying to figure out what they are doing))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12849
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Perception: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15 Lurn sticks to his watch, not being much for magic knowledge of wizards; why would he need to know such things when he can draw on the gifts of his god?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 am

Fand and Beck walk beside Lurn and gather rocks as they make a slow loop. Neither is particularly watchful but they pretend to be looking around while they chat about the state of things from back in the village and rumors of the hob army.

Lurn doesn't notice anything beyond a few patrols beginning to move along the tree line and a rough barricade of wagons being placed on the road east out of Tall. A few groups in the main camp have lined up and something is being shouted at them but Lurn can't make it out.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12849
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 am

"It's not just rumours that the hobs are building an army. My group had slain maybe two dozen over a couple of weeks before we encountered this army, and they had been gathering all sorts of beings and enslaving them for more forces; goblins, bugbears, and supposedly giants."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18164

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 am

As Fend asks, Kroshav peers closer.

Arcana: What they doing?: 1D20-2 = [3]-2 = 1


"Oh! I think they're..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17042
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:12 am

Ves would be keen to press on then. The faster they get there, the faster they can see everyone and decide where they should be going. Half a day is too much for her to lose, and she's also very keen to see Joe to safety now there's no one else around except the two of them.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16877
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am

Joe follows Ves, trusting she knows best, only complaining a little under her breath.

(Basically heat up the lock and then freeze them until they shatter.)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 am

Fend and Beck stop and look at each other before Beck asks Lurn,

"So ya seen the army then? Heard it was whole flood of'm. Giants? Hells whatta we gonna do to a giant?" Fend shakes his head sadly and shrugs.

On the opposite side of the area the wizards are working, well two are working and four are talking, Kroshav puts his mind to what they could be doing and determines they must be making a battle map using their magicy sight powers. Weird that it seems to be a circle, but it kinda makes sense 'cus eyes are round.

Jolly ignores the wizards and mostly seems to have taken an interest in chatting Indra up, going to far as to show her a scar from where he got stabbed by a hob by pulling his armor and shirt. All in all only half of those that are supposed to be guarding the wizards are doing anything that would remotely qualify, much to Albelm's increasing frustration. She yells,

"Move you three and pay attention! New guy - Golly - keep your clothes on! Kroshav watch the trees not the wizards! So help me gods I will have you all whipped."

The wizards look up from their work and for the first time take in their protectors with looks ranging between disdain and disinterest to amusement. Whatever the wizards were doing is completed within a few minutes and all but one leaves for the main camp area. The remaining wizard looks peeved at having been left but sits beside the drawing in the dirt and begins reading from a thick book produced from within his robes. The next couple hours of guarding the spot continues uneventfully, broken only by Albelm allowing a rolling quarter hour break for groups of three. After nearly three hours the riders that left the camp return and Albelm goes to check on what information they may have before returning with a grim look on her face. Shortly after the wizards return to the spot and seem to be preparing something.

((Perception rolls please.))
---
After taking a break for lunch Joe and Ves pick themselves up, brush off the straw and goat droppings and trudge down the road to the west. At least it isn't raining.

((Ah, okay that'd work for these types of locks but would definitely destroy them.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18164

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 am

Kroshav explains the map thing to Fend.

When Albelm mentions whipping, Kroshav's eyes go hard and his jaw clenches.

He watches her, trying to gauge if she is the abusive sort of leader to do that to her troops.

Insight: 1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7


Concern for the others in the new squad has him distracted, even after he turns back to watching their surroundings.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 am

Well she doesn't have a whip, nor has Kroshav seen a whip at any point yet, but she does seem pretty frustrated with her squad's inability to guard an empty piece of dirt. Maybe she'd whip people that don't do what they are told to do? She was nice about letting Kroshav get Charlie though, so maybe not?

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18164

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am

He'll wait and see, but hopes it is just frustration speaking. He will not be allowing the others to be unwarrantedly whipped.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12849
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 am

Gave a perception roll ahead of time (15).

When his break rolls around, Lurn approaches the remaining wizard, "Good day to you. The quartermaster told me to get some magic armour identified before I hand it off to him; considering your position within this force, would you happen to know the best time and place to get that done?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2344
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:43 am

Jaq understandings the commanders frustration about people being disinterested in guarding and does his best to look attentive and actually post watch for the wizards.
(Please roll a perception for me at +2)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16877
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

Joe casts presigigitation to clean herself and Ves of straw and droppings.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:06 pm

The wizard looks up and up at Lurn from his book before looking back down.

"Mmmhmm. Well not really my area." Long pause, page turn, "but I would guess," long pause, turn back to previous page finger tapping on the page, "mmm...oh ah...right," page turn, "guess that a neophyte...could help you with that." Long silence before the man looks up at Lurn again with a surprised look, "Not here, back over there by my wagon." He waves vaguely to the main camp before returning to his book, brow furrowed.
---
Later, after the riders have returned and the wizards come back to their drawing, Jaq and Lurn hear some distant yelling to the north, maybe northwest, in the forest. Arbelm hears it too and turns to face that direction. A runner from a patrol along the forest rushes by breathlessly to the main camp. Arbelm follows their progress back to the camp a moment before turning back to the north, squinting and tilting her head to listen.

The majority of the squad are oblivious.

Jaq perception: 1D20+2 = [13]+2 = 15

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12849
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Lurn gives a nod to the wizard, "My thanks for your guidance." Returning to his post, the large man settles down for the rest of his break.

---

When Lurn picks up on the yelling and the runner, Lurn turns his attention first to the north, then back to the south, eyeing the treelines warily.
Perception: 1D20+7 = [11]+7 = 18
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2344
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:26 pm

“There could be trouble coming,” Jaq says none too quietly from that way”. He points northish.
“We all should prepare in case it is hobgoblins or such.” He motions to his normal three companions so they move closer together so we can all back each other up if needed.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Arbelm notices Jaq moving Lurn from the south side of the patch of dirt to the north, along with his two attendees, and calls,

"Return back to your positions. Keep your eyes open and watch the treeline." She indicates with finger the north and east treelines.

The returned wizards continue busily doing something more to their circle, looks mostly like they are retracing it. They don't appear particularly aware of the concerned actions around them.

Lurn can hear shouting that is definitely coming from the northwest but nothing that would indicate combat.

((Little lay of the land, Tall is built into a clearing in the forest north of the road. You are in a flat area just south of Tall, the first building is 100' to the north. The forest to the north is on the other side of Tall, around 800' away. The forest to the west is 400' away and the east is 250'. The camp is across the road and is 500' away.

Two maps, one closer up and one showing up to the eastern tree line. The brown line west of you is a trail into Tall. The square brown thing is the closest building in Tall. The positions of people aren't fixed, just giving an idea.
► Show Spoiler
))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2344
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:02 am

With a slight frown, Jaq listens to Arbelm And continues watch from where he was stationed. To Lurn he says ,” I’m not thrilled by how scattered apart we are.”
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 18164

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 am

Kroshav remains oblivious.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Babbles Incessantly
Posts: 4734

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Arbelm turns to glower at Jaq, who is yelling over to Lurn. She seemingly doesn't seem appreciative of the amateur criticism being directed her to everyone in the squad and the wizards and anyone really within earshot.

Another shout catches her attention and she turns back to face in it's direction. "Not fighting? Maybe a sighting?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17042
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Ves thanks Joe for cleaning her off and leads the way onwards.

Post Reply