Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 pm

M0rtimer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 am I'm pretty sure I've given everyone a freebie so far so sure, you can switch out enduring bloom for something else.

The Amber thing we can probably best do IC. Buttercup maybe too though that's not as pressing. Make sure you update all that data on the sheet and it'll be fine.

As for buying the held items... I'm not sure. You could probably get them in Murkoff through some means, but held items aren't meant to be just easily available.
Really? I never had that impression.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 pm
M0rtimer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 am I'm pretty sure I've given everyone a freebie so far so sure, you can switch out enduring bloom for something else.

The Amber thing we can probably best do IC. Buttercup maybe too though that's not as pressing. Make sure you update all that data on the sheet and it'll be fine.

As for buying the held items... I'm not sure. You could probably get them in Murkoff through some means, but held items aren't meant to be just easily available.
Really? I never had that impression.
I handwaved it a bit for Isosceles cuz, well, that was the capital city where you could probably find anything your heart desired if you looked hard enough and had the money for it. Murkoff's got it's own sources, too, but those are from a far less legitimate source... Which is the entire reason we had a "shopping trip" adventure and now this whole adventure just about pokeballs, too :roll: (though it might admittedly be a bit fluffed up while drawing for time.)

I've also been perhaps a bit too lax on it given what the guidebook tells me what stores should be like, and you guys moving to less and less civilized places seems like a good enough excuse as any to change that up a bit. :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Also, with Synch the only one still in the gym, I think we're slowly getting to the point we could continue on with the "main plot", after rounding up the couple remaining plotlines... I'd wait longer to allow him to finish in full, but that might be a bit long when it seems he's only got the chance to post 1/day :S

Instead I'd allow him to finish the gym battle asap for both of us, and at the same time participate with everyone else as things progress- This does mean his pokemon would be a bit underleveled without the gym reward exp, but hopefully that wouldn't matter too much..? Or if there's alternative solutions I'm willing to hear them.

Also, does anyone know about Samwiser..? He's not been on in ten days apparently...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Hey Dusk how obvious an eye are you keeping on that camera? :p

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm alive. I'm mostly just logging on when I post, and since Bruce has been knocked out and can't do anything, I figured I would just let Theis handle it.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am

M0rtimer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm Hey Dusk how obvious an eye are you keeping on that camera? :p
Just giving it the side-eye for now. Maybe a little wave when nobody is paying attention :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 am

SamWiser wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 pm I'm alive. I'm mostly just logging on when I post, and since Bruce has been knocked out and can't do anything, I figured I would just let Theis handle it.
Alright, that's fair. Could have had your pokemon act still if you liked of course, but I understand.
Dusk9 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am
M0rtimer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 pm Hey Dusk how obvious an eye are you keeping on that camera? :p
Just giving it the side-eye for now. Maybe a little wave when nobody is paying attention :lol:
Fair, guess I won't ask a stealth roll for that. :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 am

Also I've been asking lots of questions on here recently, but I got one more. It's perhaps based partly on seeing the results of a couple recent battles, but I think now is a good time as any to ask regardless.

A good time ago by now there was a change implemented that nerfed super-effectiveness. At the time I didn't like the change, stating that type differences are supposed to be important, and not made less significant like this change would do- And while I still think that's true, in recent battles, as damage scales, I HAVE admittedly seen that the x2 and x3 multipliers can often mean instant KO's, whereas 1.5x could have saved a turn. So maybe my reasoning at the time wasn't quite as bad, but I can admit when I've been wrong.

The question lies with you guys, though- What do you think? Stick with how we've been doing it, pre-nerf, or implement the nerf and change super-effectiveness to x1.5 and x2? Don't think one of the two options would really benefit you over the other as it would obviously count for both sides, but still.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 am

1.5x seems better. Primarily because it leaves me the option of "OH SHOOT I DIDN'T KNOW THEY COULD LEARN THAT. EMERGENCY EJECT!"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am

Yeah we could give 1.5x a go

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am

Poison is more of a defensive type anyway, so I'm fine with changing it to 1.5x and 2x
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

As someone that specilizes in a type with a lot of weaknesses, 1.5 would be a huge boon. I wouldn't have to worry as much against the flying, ice and fire gym.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm fine with giving 1.5x/2x a try. Looking back at when we first decided to stick with 2x/3x, our main concern at the time seemed to be slowing down fights too much (especially with higher levels when evasion and defences start maxing out). And that it would reduce the tactical elements of matching types to your advantage.

But that was also nearly 4 years ago, so I think we're justified in changing our minds :roll:

(As a side note, this might also help stop the switching-game that often happens, where trainers spend 3-4 turns just swapping Pokemon around until they get a good matchup. That always seemed a bit silly to me.)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Yeah, that was the logic at that time, and it also fit at that time... The bigger damage gaps grow however, the more obvious it becomes that it might, indeed, be a bit much. Seems most people agree though, so yeah, we can give it a try. Worst comes to worst and we find it does slow down battles too much, we'll just revert.

Now, Burns, let's see what Amber would get becoming fire/grass... Ability wise, I think maybe only heat mirage would be replaced with something more grass like? Do you have any suggestions yourself?

Move wise...

Lv 1: absorb
Lvl 10: magical leaf
Lvl 20: giga drain
Lvl 30: petal dance
Lvl 40: synthesis
Lvl 50: solar beam

Does that seem alright?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 pm

I have a few ideas, unfortunally I am not at my pc so I can't really confirm if this will be accurate or not due to lookig at bulbiapedia.

Here's some suggestions/thoughts
Regular move: replacement
Yawn: sleep powder or grasswhistle
Harden or Amnesia: growth
Body slam: mega drain
Recover: synthesis

Other possiblities: spore, stun powder, posion powder, leech seed, ingrain, and worry seed
Ability wise I will have to look at the ptu stuff.
Capability wise: threaded maybe?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am

Let's see...

Move replacements: I could see yawn replaced by grasswhistle, and recover for synthesis make sense and I'd give another move in it's place. Body slam for mega drain seems a bit silly when I'm already granting giga drain at a much lower level - Could switch body slam out for giga drain instead, but body slam is probably considered a far more powerful move.

growth and threaded wise, I'm not sure, but I can change my mind depending on how you interpret things. My personal interpretation of how he is gonna end up like is, like you said before I think, is to have it like a "peat bog" where the moss grows on top of of it's body, and it'll likely get a mossy shell once it evolves- How does this account to threaded/ growth? (and spore moves for that matter, though I can kind of already see that myself)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 am

Growth- moss makes little stalks that stick out. Also could grow more ontop of her body.

If that's not enough to convince you, most grass pokemon get this move (numel and illumise being the only non grass poke that gets it.) The closest poke to her condition is Wormadam

As for powder moves/spore moves. Image

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 am

That's not really a great argument for it to be honest, because that same logic goes for a lot of moves depending on type- The important thing to consider is that while the move is predominantly used by grass types with very few exceptions, there's still plenty of grass pokemon that can't learn it (over half of them, unless I counted wrong) and I'm personally inclined to believe that a hybrid like this would lean towards the latter half. Also doesn't really fit with slugma/magcargo's general build I think, they're supposed to be a slightly tanky SATT user.

(If you really want the move though, I can probably be persuaded, I suppose it would fit if you're gonna try and use him in a sunny day-like build :roll:)

And yeah powder moves definitely makes sense. I'll look at it again later today and add some moves with that- It also occurs to me that slugma actually becomes fire/rock when it evolves, so I'd ought to have the rock moves replaced with grass moves, and I'm also considering maybe replacing shell smash..?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Don't worry about Amber evolving, she has underdog strength so she can't evolve. And yes I am planning on using a sunny day tactic on her.

Now looking through some grass abilities. Some are tied to a single poke line. Those are marked with *

Aroma Veil*
Chlorophyll
Desert weather
Effect spore
Flower gift*
Flower veil*
Flying fly trap*
Forest lord*
Grass pelt*
Leaf guard
Life force
Root down
Flower power
Gardner
Hay fever*
Leaf rush
Seasonal*
Sun blanket (already has)
Sweet veil*

Photosynthesis (no pokemon has it.)

Now the ones that make most sence to me are: desert weather, effect spore, leaf guard, root down

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 pm

I might also need to consider the fact that the combination might be too powerful... :P Also the evolution is still relevant in a certain manner even considering no evolution, since it would mean that the rock moves it usually got should probably be replaced with fitting grass moves.

Ability wise... Well, with all of it's abilities already focused on sunny stuff, Leaf guard does make the most sense. I'm afraid sunlight within is going to transform it into an absolute monster, though :roll:

(Will look over the movelist again tomorrow)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes, a very slow paced monster of doom. Don't worry I got a much more dangerous monster on my side, Cushion.

Also if rock moves do get changed around, would she still know the ones she's learned already?

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 pm

Wait, have I cheated? Were we only supposed to use 5 mons? Why is Jack only using 5 and I'm using 6? :(
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:02 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm Yes, a very slow paced monster of doom. Don't worry I got a much more dangerous monster on my side, Cushion.

Also if rock moves do get changed around, would she still know the ones she's learned already?
The ones she's learned right now would be replaced with the same move it's being replaced with, or another move she could learn at that time.
Synch wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 pm Wait, have I cheated? Were we only supposed to use 5 mons? Why is Jack only using 5 and I'm using 6? :(
He has used six pokemon..? A sandile, murkrow, houndour, sableye, scraggy and now finally that Mightyena.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 am

Ah whoops, forgot about the Scraggy, was somehow in my head reading that as my scraggy!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 am

M0rtimer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:02 am
Arch Lich Burns wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm Yes, a very slow paced monster of doom. Don't worry I got a much more dangerous monster on my side, Cushion.

The ones she's learned right now would be replaced with the same move it's being replaced with, or another move she could learn at that time.
:( Aww, okay. I was hoping it would be more like an evolution, where she'd be able to keep previous moves.