Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:45 am

As the group, once again assembled, share some witty repartee the road stretches long behind and before them. Jolly is trying shift so his legs don't touch the sides of his horse.

((Okay, so it is 4 in the afternoon.

Ves has been on this road several times and is familiar with most, if not all of the towns along all the way to Bridgeway (as she is from Baylon, as is Lurn, it is almost certain they came through Bridgeway into the Duchy). I am not sure if Lurn has been on this road before as he could have went south then west first?

Ves knows the first town with a roadhouse, Respin, is within easy reach on horses and they can get there by 6-7 in the evening. The next town on horses would be another 4 hours away. The further you get from Stenrek the further apart towns become and the smaller they get until reaching the Wandering (N/S) river. At the river there is larger town, Grenmyr. I will update the map to show these points and also where both the ruins are the dwarf mine was/is(?).

What I want to know now is what the group plans on doing today - riding on to Respin and spending the night or pushing further? I would also like to know how the group is handling the 4 horses 5 rider situation, though I guess Joe weighs next to nothing so she could pretty much ride with anyone.

Oh and I need a d20 and a d4 roll from someone.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 am

_: 1D20 = [12] = 12
1D4 = [4] = 4

"Spilled? That's odd. I would have thought getting that box off the wagon involved emptying it first."
((I wasn't reading in detail, but Ves both got injured and covered in filth, right? It might be a good idea to tell the cleric with incredible medicinal knowledge about that. He can only purify food and drink, but proper medical care would be beneficial to not getting it infected.))

If there's difficulty with horses Lurn can spend time walking, rotate out with somebody. Probably him and somebody else with good Constitution or Athletics.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:33 am

Ves stares at Lurn incredulously and looks around at the other people on the road, shaking her head.

"Let's push on. And pay attention in case we're being looked for."

((there are a fair few other people on the road and Ves is trying not to announce the fact she was smuggled out of town in a wagon to the world at large. She's not super bothered about the injury right now))

((What alternatives do we have in terms of eg camping if we wanted to avoid the roadhouses? Is it just fields and towns forever, or could we find a forest or anything?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 am

((I thought the crowding on the road thinned out a while ago?))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 am

((The crowds have definitely thinned and as long as you're moving you spend a lot of time by anyone. That said there are people still moving about in both directions that could potentially hear.

There are campsites between towns and once you get past Respin it is mostly grassland with some copses. A day and a half's moderately hard riding past Respin would put you on the southern edge of the forest. It is there the road turns east and skirts the edge there until the river.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:13 am

Joe uses presigigitation to clean Ves. She does not mind riding with another person, espessially since that means it gives her time to look at the maps she aquired.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:31 am

((I'll get you a map of the potential sites...soonish.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 am

Ves blinks in surprise as the smell disspiates.

"...thanks! That's pretty damn useful.

All right. I'm the interest of keeping a fairly low profile, I would suggest we camp rather than stay at the inns along the way. Lurn and I stand out too much, and weight as well not make things harder for ourselves than necessary. Besides, we might as well get used to each other and setting camp while it's relatively safe. I know a couple of options, but tonight we'll try and get somewhere before sunset."

((Rodgeir, does this plan work?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 am

((Yep, that will put you an hour north of Respin with some time to make camp along or near the road.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Ves lays out her plan and hearing no complaints, mounts up behind Joe. The five of them make good time to Respin, which isn't of any real size compared to Stenrek, and pass through without any undue notice. Just after Respin the road branches to the west leading to the dwarven kingdom but Ves doesn't slow. The traffic north of Respin is significantly lighter, likely from the increasingly late hour.

As the sun begins to set Ves begins looking for a good spot to make camp for the night.

((Survival roll please Thinks.
NSF are you studying that pamphlet with the old Dwarven runes at all on this trip? If you plan to please give me a intelligence roll and a d10.
Also, are you planning on keeping watch? If so give a watch order and perception rolls.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Joe will take first with Ruby.

Joes per, rubys per: 1D20 = [1] = 1
1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21

Joe's Halfling powers:
Joes : 1D20 = [6] = 6

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Lurn can be... Anywhere, really. Second or third maybe.

Lurn Per: 1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:46 am

((Guessing there is a fire?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 am

((I'd vote yes.

Also, we should use some of the perishables Ves and Lurn have, rather than rations.))
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:27 am

sorry, Pulled away from home unexpectedly these two days. Please roll for me, as I'm on my phone.

Yes, Jaq will study the Pamphlet and the runes and try to learn from them.
He will gladly take whatever watch is necessary.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Ves spots a flat area that has been used in the past by others as a camp a short distance back from the road near a stream. There is a stone fire pit already built and in short order Lurn has a fire going, and rooting around in his saddlebags turns up nothing, tries to borrow Ves' cooking pot. Ves He instead gets a hearty vegetable soup going using the gifts she and Lurn received.

While this is happening Jaq takes a seat near the fire and looks over the pamphlet he received to learn older Dwarven runes. After an hour he begins to remember that he wasn't great at this and at the rate he is going it will probably take him a couple of weeks of studying it every night. Fortunately he doesn't got a lot else to read.

Jaq int roll and time pamphlet: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
1D10 = [6] = 6

Jolly mostly sits on the ground staring into the fire. He doesn't say anything to anyone and declines the soup. He doesn't offer to take watch, or really be aware of why they are doing it. Shortly after everyone begins eating he stands and moves a short distance from the fire to sleep. As he stands Lurn notices his hands are shaking, odd on a warm summer night and so near the fire.

Joe reads her new book and is pleased to note there are a few potential sites within the Duchy. Two are relatively close, near the western border of Duchy and one in the Mossas forest south of Stenrek.

The watches pass uneventfully besides a few travelers moving in the night to the south. No one approaches the camp and the sun rises on a new, clear skied day.

((Did Ves ever do anything about that leg wound? If yes con with advantage if no straight con.

Let me know what the plan for the day is. Following the road all day will get right around the bend that follows the forest.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Ok, Ves will take care of her leg, cleaning it out with boiled, hot water and bandage it with some mild healing herbs (nothing fancy, just e.g. antiseptic moss), hoping the whiskey did enough of a job to flush out the worst of any infection. If Joe can clean the dirt off and Lurn can offer a spot of healling, she'll happily accept it now that they've reached a place to camp.

She'll take care of the cooking after all that cos it's largely her job and also her thing :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm

((Figured Ves would want to do the cooking but Lurn seemed like he wanted to use up the veggies and didn't know how good Ves was! Wound care works for me, just so it wasn't left to the long rest healing.

Ves got any directional plans for the group?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:50 pm

CON roll: 2D20.HIGH(1)+1 = [10, 6]+1 = 11

Ves will chat about the travel options with the group. Essentially, we can park the horses at a roadhouse (I guess) whenever we decide to head off road. The question would then be whether we think there's a need to do that soon or later. Travelling by road is faster, but more obvious; off-road is slower but more more sneaky.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Lurn can do a spot of healing on the leg, certainly.

Noting Jolly's behaviour, Lurn moves over next to Ves, speaking to her quietly, "He seems to be having difficulty with not drinking. In cases where people have consumed large amounts of a substance for a long time, they can develop a dependency on it, and I would wager this is such a case. A person experiencing such withdrawal may prove difficult to work with for some time, until their body adjusts."

Well, unless I have to actually roll medicine for that. In which case, Lurn Medicine: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Ves nods and grunts in agreement.

"Part of the reason I think we're best avoiding the roadhouses and inns along the way. Less tempting.

Let's stick to the road in case it becomes a problem. Hopefully by the time we need to head north he'll be through the worst."

She goes to Jolly.

"Here. Eat the soup. Its easy to eat, and your body needs something in it even if your stomach disagrees. Hells, at the very least it'll give you something to throw up that ain't just bile."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 am

Jaq will pretty much stay quieter than he was in the city. He continues to read and study his blueprint and pamphlet when there is time, but when traveling he keeps attentive and quiet. He watches behind them for being followed, he watches the others, learning how they move and interact in the forest and on the road He knows these three have been outside the city and traveling more than he has. He is much more the city-smart guy, not the wilderness guy and he knows it.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 am

Jolly looks up from laying on on his bedroll at Ves. He sits up slowly and looks at the soup. He visibly has to try and hold his hand steady, failing badly, as he takes the soup.

"Had the shakes before. Gonna be fine. Just the excitement of being on the road and the fun hurting m'self on a horse for the next week."

He lies lamely, clearly not feeling well enough to even try.

He sips at the soup.

Ves gets her leg cleaned up and the next morning she can even notice the wound. Except for the hole in her pants.

((Anything more in the evening or just a day of solid riding with only stops for lunch and the necessaries?

If so could I get a d20 from someone?))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 am