Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1549
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

"Ok, You two are waiting here for a bit then. I'm heading home to get my pack and weapons and food and say some quick goodbyes and then I'll meet you back here."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 pm

The gnome nods.

"North gate it is. Ye four can use the gate, if ye can look less like yerself." He nods at Lurn.

"We'll get the horses ye'll be borrowing and some gear in place before ye head out of the walls. Ye know Fernak's tavern? Head there, ye'll be expected in round two hours."

((Jaq knows that Fernak's is a Dwarven pub near the north gate and not all that far from his mother's friend Bren.))

The gnome looks back at Ves, clearly sizing her up.

"How ye feel 'bout tight, dark places?"

((It is around eleven in the morning now.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15689
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 pm

"Ah'll need a cart'grp'r set if ye know where Ah can get un."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm

The gnome gestures outside,

"Got the guild in the south but if yer looking for maps there's plenty a' shops back up by the elves."

((I think Jaq pointed some out as you went.))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1549
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Jaq takes his leave and heads home. He will get geared up with all his equipment and tell his father where he is going. He will pack some food, enough for several meals, so they can all eat fresh food for a bit. He will rush, so that he does have time to stop and see Bren before heading to the tavern to meet everyone else.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

((we can say that Jaq or the gnome give directions to the tavern.))

Jaq dad is both happy and worried to see his son set off into the world, but worries he is a bit young still.

((Oh and who is taking Jolly? He can't go with Ves, or rather it would be unnecessary for him to.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11857
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 pm

((Lurn's disguise only lasts an hour, so he'll not be taking Jolly anywhere until just before the meeting time.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 am

((Jolly isn't in a hurry as long as he gets to go along. Is Joe going to one of the shops with maps? If so roll me a 1d100.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15019
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 am

Ves sighs at the gnome.

"We're going through the sewers aren't we? Fine, but I'm going to need a waterproof sack and some different clothes for the trip. Anything will do, but I can't hurt out there if I stick of city filth."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am

The gnome looks mildly offended.

"'m a professional! We ain't going through no sewers to get ye out...mostly cus yer too gods damned big. Yer going out under a pile a' horse an' cow shit, either in a little box or without one." He looks at Ves without any trace of humor and says, "I'd recommend ye go in the box."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15019
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 am

Ves grins at the gnome's offense.

"Aaaaaah. Sorry. That actually sounds like a good plan.

...but I'd like the box thanks."

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15689
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 am

Yes Joe will go find a map shop.
??: 1D100 = [75] = 75

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 am

"Great. Sit tight, a box'll be along in a bit. I got some shit to arrange." Again the gnome manages to say it with a straight face before slipping out the door and moving up the street the direction he came from.

Daren comes back in and sees the booze laid out and Jaq and Joe leaving quickly. "Jolly, what did I say about drinking in the warehouse?"

Jolly straightens and gives Daren a doleful look. "Don't."

Daren nods and sighs looking back to Lurn and Ves, "Are you two sure I can't get you something? What did you want to talk to Jolly about?"

((We can fast forward an hour or so. If we are okay with that Jaq can be heading to the dwarf, Jolly and Lurn can be prepared to go shortly and the Ves smuggling can get started. Oh and Ves can attune the pendant if she likes.))

----

Joe heads the way she came and sees a few different shops Jaq noted would be selling maps, one shop in particular catches her eye with its sign featuring a nice drawing of the world. Heading in she sees a middle aged tiefling woman oiling a book in a corner. She looks up as Joe enters,

"No birds, please." Assuming the bird is left outside, "How can I help you?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15019
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 am

((Yeah, Ves will attune to the pendant while we wait.))

Before the others leave, she'll say to the group (quietly):
"If you can, see if if you can get the map translated, but maybe don't let anyone else see the whole thing. We don't need rumours getting out about this and making the journey harder."

To Daren: "Oh that's mine. Yours now, really. Do whatever you want with it, but it's not his."

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15689
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am

"Ah would like a cart'grap'r set please." Joe looks at the various maps that she has.

Investigation: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Halfling powers!
Investigation: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:43 am

The tiefling woman goes around a counter and pulls out a fairly standard set of cartographer tools and sets them on the counter and watches as Joe looking over maps, clearly clueless.

She clears her throat, not unkindly,

"If you let me know what you're looking for...?"

She gestures expansively to the books, rolled up parchments, maps and assorted artisan tools and supplies.

"I'm confident I can help you find whatever it is, if I have it."

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1549
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 am

(yes, all good)
Jaq heads to meet his mother's old friend about a brass blueprint!

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

Jaq makes good time along the familiar roads taking him towards the North gate. Traffic is, unsurprisingly, lighter than usual. Along the way he notices the same heavier patrolling by guards and a few military groups. As he approaches the Dwarf Quarter something seems odd but he can't quite put his finger on it until he is almost to Bran's house - there is no smoke coming from any of the smithies or smelters, which are always kept hot. It is also oddly quiet. This oddness is compounded by the nearly complete lack of dwarves on the street in the Quarter and those that he does see look decidedly unwell, pale and gaunt. Few shops seem to be open. In one home Jaq can make out what sounds like weeping. There are far fewer guards here as well, but that wouldn't be unusual if there weren't so many everywhere else.

Jaq comes to the door of the home/business of Bran and sees that it doesn't seem he has opened his shop yet (it's after lunch now and Jaq has about an hour until he needs to go to the tavern). Looking up the street Jaq spots a few gnomes and humans knocking on doors.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15689
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:01 pm

"Dinnae mind me, me own curiosity o what ye have ov'r took me.
"
She looks at the tiefling. "Do ye 'ave any maps o ru'ns o dung'ns?"

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 pm

The woman laughs then sees that Joe is being serious and stifles herself.

"Well, yes and no. There isn't much demand for maps of the locations of dungeons though I would hazard that most of the major cities have them? Perhaps along with any castles? While some are probably still in use the Duchy has a number of prisons...though again I am not sure I would have a map showing the location of the major prisons."

She walks around the counter and starts looking at a small stack of maps. While she flips through she stack she continues,

"Ruins are a little easier, I have a number of historical maps, Pre-Invasion, here. Most are reproductions but I have a few originals if you are a collector?" She looks up at Joe, "Or if you are looking for a study of ruins there have been several authors that have written detailed surveys and most of those has a number of maps in them. Is there a time period or civilization you're interested in? Perhaps a region?"

She sighs and looks around her store otherwise devoid of customers, "You're my first customer today, which honestly after yesterday I should have expected."

((No one is going to have a map of dungeons, sorry.))
----
About an hour after the gnome leaves, and long awkward silences between Jolly and Daren before Daren decided to go to his office, Lurn and Ves hear some off key whistling along with the rattle of wooden wheels on cobble stone. After half a minute two old, tired looking mules pulling a long and dirty wagon arrive at the door of the warehouse. The wagon appears to be on the verge of falling apart and most of wood is warped and the back left side is clearly sagging, despite this the wagons outside has been paint a cheery blue. The effect of the cheeriness is somewhat ruined by the number of flies clinging to the sides of the wagon and brown-green stains running down its sides. The whole image is topped off by a skinny old man with a filthy beard, shirt and pants steering. His bald head is burned and peeling as is his noise. The old man halts the wagon and squints into the warehouse.

"Yep."

Hopping down and stretching he points at Jolly, "Gimme a hand boy," before walking around the back of the wagon and pulling a long wooden coffin looking box out. The coffin looks like it has spent some time in something that has stained it the same color as the stains on the blue paint. Jolly approaches and gingerly helps the old man carry the coffin in and put it on the floor. The old man pulls a short, dull looking dagger out of his belt and works the lid off the coffin open revealing a surprising clean wooden interior and what looks to be a hole in the bottom that a small metal pipe can extend down through. The old man scratches absently as his beard and looks at Ves,

"If ya gotta piss best do it now. Gonna be a couple hours before ya get another chance. That whiskey over there?"

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15689
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 pm

"Aye, what 'app'ned yest'day was terrible. Tha guards seem ta want ta keep some tha sav'd this town lock'd up fer good.


Maps of the preinvas'ns of settl'ments be good. Ah'm int'rest'd in tha people tha worsh'p'd tha elements, rath'r than a set god."


*Not sure what the name of those people would be.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15019
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Ves is about to refuse, then thinks better of refusing a trivial gift to the guy who's about to smuggle her our of town in a shitwagon.

"Sure. All yours."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:57 am

The woman looks surprised,

"Who was it that saved the city? No one I spoke with last night and this morning had any idea. Why would they want to arrest them?"

She nods slowly and turns and walks over to a wall of mismatched books and runs a finger across their spines slowly. "Mmm. Britts? No. Golmer? No. Yuvin? Maybe." She pulls a thick book with a blue leather cover from the shelf. "Rindi's too, perhaps." She pulls a much thinner book with a plan brown cover out and returns to the counter she placed the cartographer tools on. She indicates that Joe can use a stool to come up and look.

"You are looking for a period around 2000 years ago during the period of localized shamanic worship?" She opens the bigger book and flips to several maps of the entire world and marked locations of likely ruins/settlements. "Yuvin was quite...thorough in her analysis but a good deal is conjecture based on the findings of others." She opens the smaller book and flips to a map, "Rindi focused on the southern end of the continent and mapped out, identified and visited several locations. He also marked several areas as potential sites. He was, however, very succinct in his findings and it isn't always clear what he means."

She closes the books and looks at Joe,

"Is this what you were looking for?"
---
The old man grabs the whiskey and stashes under the bench of the wagon.

"Get in if yer gettin'. Got a schedule to keep. Shit don't ship itself outta town."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15019
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 am

Ves pulls her collar up around her mouth and nose and climbs into the box.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2287

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 am

It's a pretty snug for her, anyone bigger than her would be cramped. Surpisely it smells mostly like pine with a faint hint of sweat.

Once she is in the old man closes up the lid and stomps it snug. It is very dark in the box but sounds aren't all that muffled.

Whistling again the man gestures for Jolly to help him load it on the wagon. Once the box is loaded he climbs up and seems to position it in the wagon before climbing under the wagon a hitting something. Inside the box a little vent opens behind Ves'head.

The old man climbs into the bench and shakes the reins.

Lurn and Jolly watch the wagon roll out of sight heading the wrong direction.

((Roll me a d20 Thinks. When is Lurn taking off?))

Post Reply