The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5407
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Randy's expression at the moment looks rather like this:
th620J4Z8T.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2075

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Dornikal mentally scratches him behind his filth stank ear and gives him a solid thumbs up.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Galt, Dornikal, and anyone else who wishes to help keep a watch over the rope for Coljin would be able to take shifts to do so, and just stay within shouting distance of the well in case other hands are needed by whoever is taking their turn. The night is cool and quiet.

------

Deep below, Coljin gets started on his nights work. The air above the water stinks, but he knows to expect it now, and quickly casts a spell to purify the water before slipping out of the rope and diving in. Once in the purified water, he can breath easier.

((I guess I'm kind of telling you you're using a slot here, if you wanted to hang out for ten minutes to cast a ritual, you'd need to be making CON saves, and a bout of vomiting would likely disrupt your ritual... ))
:puke:


The ability to stay submerged for hours on end not losing much of its novelty, but he concentrates on the task at hand, and pushes it to the back of his mind. Relying on ritual castings from here on out, he moves steadily down the well, casting as he goes deeper and deeper. As he gets to the bottom of the well, he makes out what looks to be a cobblestone in the silty bottom, it's curved paleness contrasting against the darkness.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Coljin will stay on task and continue until he feels it is totally cleansed. Then he will take a careful look at the bottom of the well to look for anything down here or anything strange in the making of the well.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 pm

((Give me an Investigation check then.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5407
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 pm

If Randy is still reeking, he's going to go look for a patch of fine sand that is a little out of sight of the group and go scrub his clothes and himself with it (not to the point of bleeding or raw) in an effort to get rid of some of the odor. He's keeping in mind that some members can see in the dark and is putting something between him and the group (no accidental flashing). He keeps the horn of silent alarm close by, just in case, and tries to keep a look out while he's doing this. After he's done, he'll beat the sand out of his clothes (hopefully not as odorific) and don them before returning to camp (if necessary, still staying downwind ).

perception: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12

((Well, he is a bit busy.... :P ))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am


User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am

Randy takes a sand bath, which along with the efforts of Ulmwin to clean him via prestidigitation, has brought things down to a tolerable level.

------------

Coljin doesn't spot anything other than that cobblestone... though now that he looks at it, is more rounded than would be useful for a cobble stone, perhaps some sort of round rock... wait, is that a bit of hair?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5407
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am

(( Alas poor, Yorrick.... :P ))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:46 am

Coljin is almost ready to head topside when he notices...something.

With the help of the cloak's magic, he will swim closer to the item that looks off....rock? Skull? Hair? He will get his mace out so that he can poke at it with something other than his hand and see if it moves and he can turn it over.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 am

Coljin nudges it with his mace, and it moves under the push, before rotating towards him stirring up silt as it rises, a rotting face, bald headed, with flesh loose and water logged. The mouth cracks open to reveal broken, stained teeth as an arm rises from the muck to reach for him...

---

Tren and Szartha start up a game of dicing in the back of one of the wagons.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 am

Damnation thinks Coljin... He will swim out of range of the mostly silt buried undead and...

(Here I have a question about necrotic damage, I know it changed from earlier versions of DnD, I'm assuming Coljin would know this...I just don't for certain know how you'll rule this. Since negative energy spells no longer heal undead, I'm assuming necrotic damage will still damage undead. I see some undead have resistance to it, but not many. Is this correct? If I'm on the right page, I'll cast the spell)

begin cast, toll the dead and focus on the skeleton. If for some reason the skeleton can move quickly in the water and silt, he will swim up and stay out of reach.
Toll the dead! on the undead: 1D8 = [5] = 5

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15586
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am

Since nobody is taking him up on hunting girant spiders, he'll go and play dice with Szatha.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 pm

The arm swings at Coljin, but he's much more mobile in the water than the soggy undead, and he easily gets enough distance. He gestures as if ringing a bell and speaks a rebuke in the name of his goddess the water around him vibrating as if struck... but the zombie seems unaffected.

((No negative energy in 5e, necrotic can still damage many undead... just didn't in this instance.))

It begins flailing in his direction, not swimming effectively, but managing to claw its way out of the silt and into the water, stirring up muck behind it. A foot strikes something, and another arm and head lift out of the bottom of the well, looking around.

-----------------

"Sure, you're welcome to join! Since there's three of us now, we can play some more interesting games... what do you say "Twenty-One"? Or "Beat the Baker"? Do you know those?", Tren asks, rattling the dice in the cup. "Anyone else interested in playing?"
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

Coljin will continue to cast Toll the Dead at the skeleton, and then swim up, to keep distance from it in case it does get some swimming movement going. He will continue casting Toll the Dead at his turn, unless he is forced to retreat all the way up to the water level. If that happens, he will pull out his mace and begin bashing it instead.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 am

((In the interest of not dragging things out for a foregone conclusion, I'm going to just wrap the zombies.))

Coljin, thanks to the cloak, is much more mobile than the zombie, and is well able to stay outside its reach. As he continues to ring in the end of their undeath, the pair of zombies attempt to pursue, but they can't quite seem to figure out swimming, moving slowly towards him by accidental persistence as much as anything. The lead, balding zombie goes limp for a moment, only to become reinvigorated once again and stretch out an arm... but another casting of Toll puts an end to it and it begins sinking back down in the well.

The cleric employs the same strategy against the other one, keeping it at range while continuing to whittle away at it, the necrotic energy causing again causing the animated corpse to lose cohesion before falling still.

The job done, Coljin pauses to catch his breath (which is an odd sensation underwater, now that he thinks about it), and watches the remains of the zombies sink.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

He takes a look at the zombies and the bottom of the well for any loot, and then he takes a look at the zombies again, is he going to have to get them lifted out of the well for it to be cleansed properly? If so, he will until himself, tie a dead zombie to it, and then pull a few times to get it dragged to the top. Repeating for the second zombie. Then he will continue casting to purify the water as needed...and then he will finally get himself hefted back up to the surface.....He will sleep well this next day!

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:36 am

Coljin certainly earns himself a much needed rest after he finishes swimming up from the bottom of the well with zombies in tow, loading them into the sling and tugging to get those above to haul it up. He follows that up with a few hours of rechecking the depth of the well, casting his purification ritual as necessary, until finally he's done.

----

"Preacher! Coljin's signalling to come up!", Galt calls out, and the two of you haul on the rope, though it is pretty quickly apparent that you're pulling up something heavier than the gnome. Another stinking body arrives at the top of the well, to be hauled away by Zephyr, as you send the rope back down and retrieve another. Sending the rope back down, there is no further signal, and as the hours creep by, you have to assume that Coljin is alright...

----

Eventually, a tug does come, and heaving, the rope crew draws a cold, wet Coljin to the surface. The desert night air is cold, and he's almost immediately overcome with the urge to shiver. Thankfully, he smells nowhere near as bad as Randy, apparently having washed and purified most of the stink off himself in the process.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 am

"Does anyone have a bit of magic that can dry me off please, This cold desert air is chilling after being down there." After getting dried off he will make his way quickly to the nice wagon and hop in the back to get out of any wind that there might be.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2075

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 pm

"What in Dumathoin's name did ye find down there? Entire village? After we pulled up those two extras and ye didn't come up we worried something had happened to ye!"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Galt returns from one of the wagons with a clean blanket for Coljin to huddle in.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5407
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Randy gets a fire stoked for him to warm up at. "I didn't see any other floaters down there. I guess those two must have sank?"

((Just how much odor does Randy still have? He's going to stay downwind regardless, but I'm trying to figure out if he has enough to blow any chance of sneaking up on anything with a nose or not.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 pm

((He's fine at this point. Might catch a whiff every now and then that might be a smell, and might be a memory.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1483
Contact:

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 pm

“There were two zombies in the silt on the bottom of well. After dealing with them it took a long time to deal with the cleaning. Sorry if I worried you.”
“Thanks for the blanket and fire.”

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15202

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

"Thanks for being the one to go down and clear it out. Not a fan of small dark places, myself...", Galt says with a shiver, moving over to the fire as well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply