Things You Never Noticed Before

Discuss the comic here!
Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Re: Things You Never Noticed Before

Post by Zathyr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:46 pm

To me it just looks like where his eyelid meets his forehead.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:00 pm

I found out there's something in Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" which I never noticed before....
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Post by Miryafa » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 pm

I just realized that Reality 88 belongs in GM Dickery Horror Stories, considering all the goblins there are super-monsters and the PCs pretty much only exist for the GM to kill. I wonder if that was Thunt's intention.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I was unaware the Shield of Wonder might have had inspiration. #9
http://io9.com/the-20-weirdest-dungeons ... +tinaamini
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

EffettoNotte
Remains Silent

Post by EffettoNotte » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 am

Zathyr wrote: Zathyr
Glemp wrote:
Zathyr wrote:... I don't see it.
Forgath has another eyebrow, one made of skin or very fine hair, right below the raised one.
Just like Zathyr says, i think it's the eyelid... :)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:58 pm

When Ears had Chief's Bull's Strength on him, his eyes went part-blue as well as his armour: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10292010-3/

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:29 am

I know Thunt is pretty detail-oriented with his art, but it's only now that I realized (with the addition of the coiled tail as part of the site's artwork) that the specific pattern of barbs at the end of Complains' IME tail remains consistent. I really shouldn't be surprised..
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Glemp wrote:When Ears had Chief's Bull's Strength on him, his eyes went part-blue as well as his armour: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10292010-3/
Adding on to this (and the whole "blue vs white shines" debate from a page or two back):

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10122010-3/ Chief casts Bull's Strength, and Ears's armor/eyes take on his IME color partially

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10152010-4/ The glow is gone from the armor (so is the yellow, might just be because it's powered down), but there's still a little blue in his eyes.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/11192010-2/ Powers back up to rescue Chief, the yellow and blue glow is back AND his eyes are almost fully blue

The blue glow is still there (most recently here http://www.goblinscomic.org/01292014/ ) , even after Chief dies. In story it likely hasn't even been an hour since Bull's Strength was cast. It may fade later on, which...kinda makes me sad. If IME's are the "color of your soul", losing it'd feel more like Chief's gone for good.

I will never be over that. :becry:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Well, a lot of people seem to think that Chief will come back, though maybe as another character. That would depend on him being a pc or not. Personally I think he's a npc and he's gone for good. It's sad, but it makes his death much more meaningful.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:23 pm

^Agree.

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Yeah. :( I'd name my firstborn after Thunt if Chief came back for realsies, but he's probably gone for good. Which is always gonna be heartbreaking.

Also, unless something went down between them escaping Brassmoon with the freed prisoners and encountering Kore, the poor sumbitch died a virgin because apparently the universe hates him. http://www.goblinscomic.org/01032009/

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 am

YalaYalaGetDolla wrote:Also, unless something went down between them escaping Brassmoon with the freed prisoners and encountering Kore, the poor sumbitch died a virgin because apparently the universe hates him. http://www.goblinscomic.org/01032009/
I always found it odd that, in a race where heredity is sometimes valued - as shown by the whole civil war warning if the next clan chief was Thaco instead of Kills-A-Werebear's son - Chief had nearly hit middle age without fathering children. I understand that's probably in large part due to their rule about females in warcamps, but if anyone got a pass on that, you'd think it would have been him. :shrug:

Do goblins just not reproduce until they've survived enough battles? That could happen as a 'survival of the fittest' philosophy in the name of bettering the clan, but that also risks having too many males wiped out in a chain of rough years to replenish their numbers.
That was part of a response I never posted to the once-heated discussion of whether Big Ears or another goblin being gay would be viewed by their culture as counterproductive to clan survival. Perhaps it doesn't matter unless they hit a certain age anyway.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 am

Gryphonic wrote: I always found it odd that, in a race where heredity is sometimes valued - as shown by the whole civil war warning if the next clan chief was Thaco instead of Kills-A-Werebear's son - Chief had nearly hit middle age without fathering children. I understand that's probably in large part due to their rule about females in warcamps, but if anyone got a pass on that, you'd think it would have been him. :shrug:
Maybe it has to do with the whole "worst chief of the clan's history responsible for the clan going from prosperous and feared to easy XP" thing? It's possible none of the females wanted their kids to be the offspring of such a weak leader.

Which seriously sucks. Again, the universe hates the poor guy. He never asked to be Chief, he was just branded as one because a slow decay was the better option than a quick bloody schism, and it looks like he's had to suffer for it his entire life.

RIP Chief, hid fast and died a virgin.

MakesNoSense
Speaks Quietly

Post by MakesNoSense » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 am

I still don't think that Chief is dead for good. He lies about having a shattered spine etc... because he knows someone has to delay Kore so that the others can get to safety. So, he sacrifices himself. But, Kore made the others come back for him, and his sacrifice ended up being in vain from that perspective. All it did was show that he was a goblin who would sacrifice everything for his clan, show that he could in fact live up to his name. But, what good is that if he is dead.

He might be dead, but from a story-telling perspective, I think his return would have more meaning.

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 pm

This has probably been spotted by everyone, but it only just jumped out at me:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10302012/ Last two panels

http://www.goblinscomic.org/11132012/ Second and third panels

Same dialogue, exact opposite situations. Duv's scene is dark and backlit, Dies's new arm is glowing brightly front and center. Thunt's a genius.

Erix
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Erix » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but Complains' IME, now that he's part demon, sure looks like a snake tail. A "serpent" if you will. And he has become the prey of Foregath and Minmax since they left the Maze of Many.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 am

Erix wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned before, but Complains' IME, now that he's part demon, sure looks like a snake tail. A "serpent" if you will. And he has become the prey of Foregath and Minmax since they left the Maze of Many.
It has been brought up once or twice, but I don't buy it. Mainly because it doesn't really look like a snake. This has scales and a pointy end, while snake tales are smooth and aren't that pointy. It looks more like a demon tail, which would make sense with his recent change into part demon.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Aaaand another (I'm either on a roll or really slow).

Earlier in this thread, someone asked if any of the other GAP members noticed that Saral Caine wore the clan's symbol. Most agreed that Chief was the only one, and the other's didn't hear him when he realized it.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09192006/

Maybe he wasn't.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 am

We haven't had a resolution of how Saral got the symbol.
We might still get to see that. I sure hope so.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

MakesNoSense
Speaks Quietly

Post by MakesNoSense » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:00 am

Krulle wrote:We haven't had a resolution of how Saral got the symbol.
We might still get to see that. I sure hope so.
Oh... I always sort of assumed it had been Thaco's, taken from him when he was tortured in Brassmoon. I figured a new one was crafted for Chief because he was not really supposed to be the chief, and Thaco (who was supposed to be chief) had taken it with him when he was younger and left the clan.

I guess there might be a deeper backstory for how it came to Saral Caine tho :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:28 am

That's a theory I thought of too, as it would be straightforward.
But there's no mention of Thaco having lost his symbol, or having had the symbol taken from him.
And if it had been taken from Thaco while he was imprisoned/tortured, it would likely have landed in the collection of Dellyn Goblinslayer....

MakesNoSense
Speaks Quietly

Post by MakesNoSense » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:11 am

Krulle wrote:That's a theory I thought of too, as it would be straightforward.
But there's no mention of Thaco having lost his symbol, or having had the symbol taken from him.
And if it had been taken from Thaco while he was imprisoned/tortured, it would likely have landed in the collection of Dellyn Goblinslayer....
Well, maybe Saral claimed it for his own? He and Dellyn were friends/companions after all.

As for no mention, Thaco has never really gone into great detail about his past either... he seems to prefer hiding it all away. With Chief having a new crown anyways, perhaps Thaco felt it was best left forgotten?

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Knucklekraken » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 am

While that's possible, I feel like it would be better, storywise, if it came from outside the clan. The implication of a larger, perhaps forgotten meaning is too fun to pass up, imo.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23 am

Also, Chief would know that a new crown was made for him most likely. Chiefs reaction seems more like shock at seeing it outside of his own crown. If he knew that Thaco lost the crown, he wouldn't be as surprised to find it with Saral Caine.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:41 am

How much contact do the warcamp and the clan have?
Maybe Saral and Dellyn did kill the whole clan while the warcamp was away, and so the warcamp members still do not know....

It's a theory spooking in my head for a long while now, and I've always been afraid to voice it....