The Official Goblins: Alternate Realities Q&A Thread

Discuss the comic here!
CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Re: The Official Goblins: Alternate Realities Q&A Thread

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri May 31, 2013 3:58 pm

After reading the third blog (which strangely doesn't show up on this list: http://www.evertidegames.com/category/g ... realities/), I had a question about equipment.

Seeing as how some equipment (such as Oblivious) doesn't automatically have the number shown on the card, how is one supposed to keep track? Especially if the treasure is meant to hide behind the character?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri May 31, 2013 9:29 pm

Presumably the same way you do in most all games - you pay attention to what your cards do and remember, or look at them again. Having helpful big numbers to make it easy to total up is always nice, but not always possible.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:58 am

How long will the kickstarter last?
I will be away from the internet for about a week, and I still have to organize some stuff in order to join...

Sorry if this is answered on facebook or something, I don't have one.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:06 am

willpell wrote:Presumably the same way you do in most all games - you pay attention to what your cards do and remember, or look at them again. Having helpful big numbers to make it easy to total up is always nice, but not always possible.
If that's the case, then it would be rather pointless to try and play this with anyone but a hard-core gamer who can juggle multiple facts and numbers in their heads, such as "that particular read 6 is actually 6-blue" (or whatever colour the ingenuity stat it).

I'd be interested in an official reply before I decide how much money to Kick the Project's way.
LooksAndSmiles wrote:How long will the kickstarter last?
I will be away from the internet for about a week, and I still have to organize some stuff in order to join...

Obviously wait for the official answer, but I've personally never seen one up for less than a month.

Stardance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Stardance » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am

Hi! I have a question. Will G:AR be playable with just two players? Or is it really designed mainly for 4-5 players? I know it can be hard to make the same game playable for 'both', so I understand if its just for 4-5 players, but one can hope.

And Y&B Is going to be on your rules page explaining these 'character sheets', right? right? :-)

PseudoFenton
Mutters to Themself

Post by PseudoFenton » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:26 am

innuendo wrote:But yes, what you are seeing is simply early prototypes and early drafts. Finalization is always the last part of the design process.
This is reassuring, it also means that items will have all the original flair that Thunt brings to his work - rather than more conventional naming policies. Which I approve of, quirky names are always fun.
innuendo wrote:That isn't a typo. Charm loses cards and Ingenuity steals treasure. We actually had the exact discussion you are suggesting and we settled on this for a couple of reasons. ... I think in the end, this way makes the most sense and is the most thematic.
Heh, well at least I'm not the only one who thought it might make more sense the other way around. I can see your logic, although it still seems like a bit of an awkward fit - although I hope that feeling will be dispelled once I see the game actually being played.
Stardance wrote:Hi! I have a question. Will G:AR be playable with just two players? Or is it really designed mainly for 4-5 players? I know it can be hard to make the same game playable for 'both', so I understand if its just for 4-5 players, but one can hope.
I'm also interested in this, as I frequently find myself with fewer than 4 players, so am interested to know how the 2 and 3 player modes work (and if they're even supported).

Equally in this interview you said:
Brad wrote:We can add more encounters, more locations. Right now there are four encounter settings; weÔÇÖd love to add a fifth one so thereÔÇÖs more to do on your turn. It makes the game more complex and interesting.
What exactly is an encounter setting? How does it differ from locations and why is it so hard to add a fifth? I'm assuming there are four different types of card, rather than four piles placed out (as it becomes trivial to add a fifth then, even if they change every turn). So can we get a little more information on how encounters work mechanically?

Another thing that struck me that I wanted to ask about - do you have to remove the quest tokens for each character with that character? Or can I spend the entire game removing them with one character only? I assume the latter, as otherwise a single character death prevents victory, and it has been suggested that quest tokens can be removed by other means. However it could easily be the case that secondary methods of removing quest tokens can apply to any characters 'pool' or quest tokens - but a specific character cannot clear tokens from different characters pool.

I'm aware that most of this will can be answered with a quick demo of the game, and will therefore be fully detailed and released when the kickstarter starts - but as there as been livestreamed play through (that I've yet to see coz I missed them) some of these facts are clearly already 'released' - and I'm an incredibly curious individual so really want to know now.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 am

While we wait on official replies to our questions, I did watch the Goblins demo while the recording was still up on the stream so...
PseudoFenton wrote:Equally in this interview you said:
Brad wrote:We can add more encounters, more locations. Right now there are four encounter settings; weÔÇÖd love to add a fifth one so thereÔÇÖs more to do on your turn. It makes the game more complex and interesting.
What exactly is an encounter setting? How does it differ from locations and why is it so hard to add a fifth? I'm assuming there are four different types of card, rather than four piles placed out (as it becomes trivial to add a fifth then, even if they change every turn). So can we get a little more information on how encounters work mechanically?
I believe there are Dungeon, Urban, Forest and... Swamp encounters so far. Each location has different monsters (Switchbeast for forest, Mr. Fingers for Dungeon, I believe.) so a new pile would include monsters from that area. Perhaps even an area not yet in the Comic?
PseudoFenton wrote:Another thing that struck me that I wanted to ask about - do you have to remove the quest tokens for each character with that character? Or can I spend the entire game removing them with one character only? I assume the latter, as otherwise a single character death prevents victory, and it has been suggested that quest tokens can be removed by other means. However it could easily be the case that secondary methods of removing quest tokens can apply to any characters 'pool' or quest tokens - but a specific character cannot clear tokens from different characters pool.
Thunt explained that the tokens for all three characters are put in a pool, then any of your party members can remove one (but only by doing what their card says they have to do to win). For example, if you have Kin (who needs to assist to remove tokens) and Kore (who needs to win Combat Challenges to do so), then Kin can't win a fight and remove a token.

PseudoFenton
Mutters to Themself

Post by PseudoFenton » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:54 am

CelineSSauve wrote:I believe there are Dungeon, Urban, Forest and... Swamp encounters so far. Each location has different monsters (Switchbeast for forest, Mr. Fingers for Dungeon, I believe.) so a new pile would include monsters from that area. Perhaps even an area not yet in the Comic?
That doesn't really help distinguish the difference between location cards, and encounter cards though. As far as I can tell there are five card types: Characters, Treasure, Actions, Location and Encounters. From putting together the pieces of what has been said, Encounters are basically what you perform each round as your action, and they award xp, treasure, and give the potential to complete personal quests. I've clearly got something wrong somewhere though, which isn't surprising as its all speculative - I really wish they'd just recorded the stream so people could watch it afterwards.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 am

PseudoFenton wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:I believe there are Dungeon, Urban, Forest and... Swamp encounters so far. Each location has different monsters (Switchbeast for forest, Mr. Fingers for Dungeon, I believe.) so a new pile would include monsters from that area. Perhaps even an area not yet in the Comic?
That doesn't really help distinguish the difference between location cards, and encounter cards though. As far as I can tell there are five card types: Characters, Treasure, Actions, Location and Encounters. From putting together the pieces of what has been said, Encounters are basically what you perform each round as your action, and they award xp, treasure, and give the potential to complete personal quests. I've clearly got something wrong somewhere though, which isn't surprising as its all speculative - I really wish they'd just recorded the stream so people could watch it afterwards.
I think Location and Encounter cards can be used interchangeably. The Mr. Fingers encounter is found in the Dungeon location, and so on.

But again, best to wait on an official answer. *alternates between twiddling thumbs and rapping fingers on table*

innuendo
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: innuendo24

Post by innuendo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 am

I'm travelling this weekend (bad timing eh) and you guys go crazy. Sorry. Let me get caught up. I edited out some of the banter and tried to grab just the questions, if I missed anything please hit me with a fish.
CelineSSauve wrote:After reading the third blog (which strangely doesn't show up on this list: http://www.evertidegames.com/category/g ... realities/), I had a question about equipment.

Seeing as how some equipment (such as Oblivious) doesn't automatically have the number shown on the card, how is one supposed to keep track? Especially if the treasure is meant to hide behind the character?
We provide indicators on the cards to what stats they produce. And when you lay out your treasure cards you do not put them completely hidden behind the character using them, you lay them out in such a way that you can see all the treasure and level cards behind them. So That means anytime you need to add up all the Combat on minmax, you simple need to read along the cards attached to him all the combat icons (and if any are variable it will by marked with an asterisk), plus the combat on his character card, plus any special effects. At the end of the game it can be a bigish number, but I haven't seen it get out of hand.
LooksAndSmiles wrote:How long will the kickstarter last?

We'll reveal the official length tomorrow night when we launch, but rest assured it's more than a week :)
Stardance wrote:Hi! I have a question. Will G:AR be playable with just two players? Or is it really designed mainly for 4-5 players? I know it can be hard to make the same game playable for 'both', so I understand if its just for 4-5 players, but one can hope.

And Y&B Is going to be on your rules page explaining these 'character sheets', right? right? :-)
Absolutely you can play with two, and it actually works very well. You lose some of the political and squabbling aspects of the game this way (since there are not enemies of my enemies), but the core mechanics work in a duel setting. Good question.
PseudoFenton wrote:Equally in this interview you said:
Yes, the terms are sort of fungible. A location setting is a pile of encounters cards. So there is the Forest location setting. And in that location setting there are 12 encounter cards. Each of the 4 location settings is an option for you to go to on your turn. So if we added a 5th setting you would have 12 more encounter cards in the game. In addition, you would have a 5th option on your turn as to which encounter to set out on.

Encounter Cards are overcome through the course of the game by beating the stat listed on them with your party. So the switchbeast encounter require 15 combat to beat, e.g. And it's found in the forest location setting.

To add more information, the location settings are at times referenced in the treasure cards. So certain treasure has additional benefits at specific settings. For example, the torch card has additional stat boosts in a dungeon setting.

If this doesn't fully answer the question, let me know.
PseudoFenton wrote:Another thing that struck me that I wanted to ask about - do you have to remove the quest tokens for each character with that character? Or can I spend the entire game removing them with one character only? I assume the latter, as otherwise a single character death prevents victory, and it has been suggested that quest tokens can be removed by other means. However it could easily be the case that secondary methods of removing quest tokens can apply to any characters 'pool' or quest tokens - but a specific character cannot clear tokens from different characters pool.
Your question (and subsequent discussion) has a few different facets, so let me answer in an affirmative fashion.

At the start of the game you get a pile of quest tokens equal to the sum of the quest difficulty on each of your characters. This is usually around 15.

When a character in your party completes the objective of their quest (E.g., Kin helps another party, Kore wins a combat challenge), you remove one of your quest tokens.

Now it's worded like this: "Remove a quest token whenever [/b]Kore[/b] wins a Combat challenge."

So that means that, yes, Kore has to be the one to win the combat challenge. But nothing prevents you from winning the game with Kore alone. You can simply win 15 combat challenges and do nothing else for your other character's quests.

In other words, each character must complete their own quest objective. But your party wins whenever they complete their collective quest (teamwork is fun!)

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 am

innuendo wrote:I'm travelling this weekend (bad timing eh) and you guys go crazy. Sorry. Let me get caught up. I edited out some of the banter and tried to grab just the questions, if I missed anything please hit me with a fish.
CelineSSauve wrote:After reading the third blog (which strangely doesn't show up on this list: http://www.evertidegames.com/category/g ... realities/), I had a question about equipment.

We provide indicators on the cards to what stats they produce. And when you lay out your treasure cards you do not put them completely hidden behind the character using them, you lay them out in such a way that you can see all the treasure and level cards behind them. So That means anytime you need to add up all the Combat on minmax, you simple need to read along the cards attached to him all the combat icons (and if any are variable it will by marked with an asterisk), plus the combat on his character card, plus any special effects. At the end of the game it can be a bigish number, but I haven't seen it get out of hand.
Okay cool, thanks. I believe (especially with the asterisks) that it won't overwhelm my friend. [I might end up using a rotating counter from another game (D-Day Dice, in this case) to track the stats, if it comes to that.]
innuendo wrote:So if we added a 5th setting you would have 12 more encounter cards in the game. In addition, you would have a 5th option on your turn as to which encounter to set out on.
The map (which I think might be a stretch reward Thunt mentioned) has room for five locations, right?

Calemor
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Calemor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am

Alternate Character Distribution Method Proposal:

Randomly determine one player to pick first. Each player chooses one character, starting with the first player and going clockwise. Then, starting with the last player and returning to the first, going counterclockwise, each player picks their second character. Then the last five characters are shuffled and distributed randomly. This way, everyone can somewhat control what their group is like, but there is still some randomness at the start of the game, without being completely random.

House rules rule!

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:57 am

Calemor wrote:House rules rule!
And I hope that's how it remains.

Either go random, or pick your team, in my view. :shrug:

Michalius
Remains Silent

Post by Michalius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Will you release complete rulebook on boardgamegeek (or somewhere) before the end of Kickstarter campaign? Or will they still be in development?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:14 pm

In the "Kickstarter Starts Tomorrow!" thread:
innuendo wrote:That said, we are behind on a few deliverables for those of you who want more information about the rules. Namely, we are setting up a wiki that will contain the entire rulebook for the game, in wiki format. That took a little longer than expected but that should come very soon, and should help answer a lot of questions. I'll personally take the brunt of the criticism on that being late.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

innuendo
Whispers Softly

Post by innuendo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 pm

WearsHats wrote:In the "Kickstarter Starts Tomorrow!" thread:
innuendo wrote:That said, we are behind on a few deliverables for those of you who want more information about the rules. Namely, we are setting up a wiki that will contain the entire rulebook for the game, in wiki format. That took a little longer than expected but that should come very soon, and should help answer a lot of questions. I'll personally take the brunt of the criticism on that being late.
WearsHats is moderately useful!

(this is a pun based on your title, please don't... punish me)

innuendo
Whispers Softly

Post by innuendo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 pm

I can double post right?

I've put together some diagrams of game setup and I told you i would share them here first.

Party Area Digram
► Show Spoiler
First shows a player's party area. each player will have an area exactly like this in front of them. It shows all of the characters in your party along with their gear and levels. The blue shields on each character is the XP they have gained towards their next level. When a character gains a level you remove the XP from them and take a new experience card. These cards the blue cards you see behind Minmax and Complains. Each experience card gives permanent benefits to the character who earns them.

The yellow cards you see are treasure cards. Each character can carry up to 5 treasure cards, but may only carry one of each type of treasure. Treasure adds bonuses to your characters for challenges and encounters, and may also have one time use effects that allow you to do things like draw extra cards.

In addition the player has their deck of action cards which they draw from to fill their hand of actions. Action decks are composed of 40 cards. 16 cards are party cards that all player's have access to. The remaining cards are 3 sets of 8 cards. Each set of cards corresponds to each character in the Player's party. So Minmax has 8 actions that are unique to him, and same for every other character. This means that your actions cards don't match everyone else's, but they are specific to your party.

Two Player Setup Digram
► Show Spoiler
This shows two player's party area's along with the encounter area and treasure piles. The encounter area is composed of 4 location piles, each filled with encounter cards. On your turn you select one encounter for your party to attempt to overcome. If you are successful, you get to draft treasure from the treasure piles equal to the value on the encounter.

Please, let me know if you have any questions about these, but I hope you guys like them and I hope they help answer some questions you may have had.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Making fun of a mod, and double post? Alright, somebody get the ban hammer. This guy is out of control. Just joking, you're great. :P

Just to make sure I have the leveling dynamic right, in the first picture Minmax has gained a level. He also has two exp tokens. He now needs two more (a total of four) to level up again, right?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

innuendo
Whispers Softly

Post by innuendo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

SamWiser wrote:Making fun of a mod, and double post? Alright, somebody get the ban hammer. This guy is out of control. Just joking, you're great. :P

Just to make sure I have the leveling dynamic right, in the first picture Minmax has gained a level. He also has two exp tokens. He now needs two more (a total of four) to level up again, right?
Yes. That is exactly correct.

But this post isn't just about one question!

BEHOLD!

My wife is angry at me for not going to bed, but this was so worth it. It's very rough at this time, but we are going to be making improvements and additions to that in the coming days and weeks. For now it's got the rulebook and a nice welcome page.

I'll make sure to double post the disclaimer: Everything on this wiki is all subject to change. All of it. These rules are provided for the purpose of preview and your information only. We know for a fact that some of the rules in that are actually slightly out of date (with respect to the turn phases), but I wanted to get this out tonight.

I hope you guys enjoy.
Last edited by innuendo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:09 pm

What exactly are the quest tokens, and how does one gain xp? I would assume that xp is rewarded for completing encounters, but is it a flat rate (1 xp per encounter) or does fluctuate?
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Moderately useful is more than fair. And I always appreciate a good pun. :)

Also, I seem to have left my banhammer in my other hat.

Which is a good thing, given those grocer's apostrophes at the end of the post. Tsk, tsk, man.

But the diagrams are illuminating. And the cards look cool. So I guess I'll let that slide. I think, though, that I'll actually have to play the game to really get a feel for how it works.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

innuendo
Whispers Softly

Post by innuendo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 pm

I can't believe I did that with the aposrophe's...Seriously, all joke's aside I never in a million year's would do that!

(no really, it's late and I've been scrambling to get all this ready...Please fogive me becuase I know I'll never forgive myself)

(also also, weird post order is weird. But make sure you see the big old link I put above guys).
Arydra wrote:What exactly are the quest tokens, and how does one gain xp? I would assume that xp is rewarded for completing encounters, but is it a flat rate (1 xp per encounter) or does fluctuate?
Quest tokens track how close you are to completing your party's quest. And XP is gains by characters for, you guessed it, completing encounters. It is 1 per encounter they help overcome. In addition, characters gain XP for successfully opposing the active party's encounter. And any character who wins a challenge gains XP. There are tons of ways to level up!
Last edited by innuendo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:14 pm

pretty. Always love a good wiki page.

Haha, just noticed this was in the second update on the kickstarter. Guess I should have paid more attention to the links provided. :D
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

innuendo
Whispers Softly

Post by innuendo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 pm

If you guys didn't already see: We've gotten the livestream tarol did a few weeks ago eddited together and put online:

Super Awesome Video!

PseudoFenton
Mutters to Themself

Post by PseudoFenton » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm

innuendo wrote:Super Awesome Video!
Fantastic, just what was needed! I also spotted two stretch goals in the future listed, now with 5 player mode! And 16K likes to get an extra bonus character, this is also great to see, looks like I'm going to have to drag even more friends into this.

When can we expect to see a demo of gameplay? Also, with 5 player mode, and three characters each, I assume this is now also viable because of the base 12 characters and the extras already added in from facebook likes (Biscuit being the first of three). Which leads me neatly on to asking when those other two characters are being set, they're already unlocked as it were, and people have voted - so when will we know who comes out victorious?

I know, I know, forever asking questions. I have a feeling I know what my Goblin name would be...