April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Discuss the comic here!
Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: April 26th 2013 - Its Better To.

Post by Liesmith » Wed May 01, 2013 12:07 am

I'm confused now...
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 am

Ayeaka wrote:kaeroku..
The conversation had also moved on from that point, and the thread had continued on. There was no need to (in this thread,) bring the conversation back to something that was indeed decidedly off topic. No one is bullying or attacking you.

Glemp wrote: *Takes a deep breath* Because....um. Er. Maybe he thinks that he's doing them a favour by completely wiping them out rather than killing them, because they won't go through DnD Heaven/Hell and can't be resurrected? Or the Maze resets if it is impossible to win - e.g., if the only one who can doesn't want to?
Hnm. I'd imagine the maze does reset if it's impossible to win, but I doubt it would know (that is, I doubt the maze itself is sapient,) that Psimax has no desire to complete it.
If everyone inside the maze somehow died at once, or was otherwise physically incapable of finishing I'm -guessing- it would reset, but that's just a guess.
Nobody was attacking me to begin with. The point is someone else was attacked and it was glossed over. Another point is, they snipped me for mentioning that, but not you for defending the mods.

Modnote: Since the post I'm responding to is considered "ok" (not snipped,) responding to it ought to be as well.

Pillbug
Remains Silent

Post by Pillbug » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 am

Liesmith wrote:Welcome to the forums, Pillbug, your post is not off topic in this thread, though I do disagree with you on a few points:

1) I've stated a few times here that her death isn't senseless (and she's not actually dead yet...let's give her another page). If Psimax grabbed her leash, they would have definitely suffered a total party wipe. She would have been forced to tell Psimax about Minmax's current whereabouts, about Oblivious's capabilities, about the surviving holy symbol on Forgath's mace handle, about any other thousand-to-one plan she might be cooking up. She, Forgath, and Minmax would become instantly, irrevocably helpless if Psimax grabbed that leash. She could even be forced to call to Minmax, Terminator-style.

Fighting back in just that way, at just that time, was her only option.

2) I would say that the moral isn't "if you're sufficiently traumatized, you're too irrational to make solid decisions", but instead "people can rise up through extreme trauma to become strong and selfless, and fight through fear". She's essentially sacrificing herself to protect the group, and have a one in a million shot at killing Psimax.

3) If she does die now, and that's not certain yet, it's not senseless. I've repeatedly pointed out how her attack was the most logical move she could make, even if she made it from an emotional mindset. I may have missed a response, but I haven't seen a single person here point out how letting Psimax grab the leash could reasonably end better than the current situation, barring some completely out-of-character mercy from the villain.
All valid points, and I don't... think I technically disagree with you on them. You're right; it was the only move she could have made... but I find it unsatisfying. It's entirely subjective and I'm happy to own that, so I don't want to project. I think all of my post was subjective, actually; I get a separate message from her sacrifice and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I wouldn't demand anyone else feel the same way. I don't feel like her potentially sacrificing herself in this way is good closure for her story.

Feelings, man. Feelings. :(

If I owe you an apology, I give one sincerely.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 am

Pillbug wrote:If she dies now it's senseless, and I have more faith in Thunt than to believe he'd pull off something so cheap. Lashing out in anger doesn't mean she deserves death. It means she's desperate, scared, and wants to protect her friends. That's a noble goal if ever there was one, even when she knows she's facing a much more powerful enemy.
I agree 100%. Also... What sort of referenced would it be to make an "I See You" comment in his proposal announcement if it's linked to one of the lover's gruesome deaths!?

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 am

CelineSSauve wrote:
Pillbug wrote:If she dies now it's senseless, and I have more faith in Thunt than to believe he'd pull off something so cheap. Lashing out in anger doesn't mean she deserves death. It means she's desperate, scared, and wants to protect her friends. That's a noble goal if ever there was one, even when she knows she's facing a much more powerful enemy.
I agree 100%. Also... What sort of referenced would it be to make an "I See You" comment in his proposal announcement if it's linked to one of the lover's gruesome deaths!?
Being ever the optimist when it comes to stories... I'm hoping she lives and that this is not in fact the start of Kin's death scenes. *crosses fingers* I also have a lot of faith in Thunt and don't really think that he would have Kin die right now - it'd turn her entire character into just one who was basically going to totally reform MinMax and serve as MinMax's character development. We've seen him growing and changing WITH Kin so far, as she's been changing to... but if she dies? He's going to have all sorts of changes. I don't think they'd be for the better, so I really hope she lives!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
Glemp wrote:
Awesome and tragic theory. Small problem: why didn't she do that with Goblinslayer? He could have ordered her not to, but it'd be easier to put something on it rather than risk having a guard or citizen causing civilian deaths and major property damage, which would be politically embarrassing to say the least. It'd be like letting a hand grenade walk around.
The main problem is, being a cursed item, you can't just take it off. It requires a remove Curse spell, which Forgath is sitll 2 levels from being able to cast.
Ah, but WHO said it was cursed? Kin...? ...merely repeating what was told to her, by... yup -- think about that for a moment... (And remember, I'm only playing "What if?" here :) )

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 am

stevedj wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:
Glemp wrote:
Awesome and tragic theory. Small problem: why didn't she do that with Goblinslayer? He could have ordered her not to, but it'd be easier to put something on it rather than risk having a guard or citizen causing civilian deaths and major property damage, which would be politically embarrassing to say the least. It'd be like letting a hand grenade walk around.
The main problem is, being a cursed item, you can't just take it off. It requires a remove Curse spell, which Forgath is sitll 2 levels from being able to cast.
Ah, but WHO said it was cursed? Kin...? ...merely repeating what was told to her, by... yup -- think about that for a moment... (And remember, I'm only playing "What if?" here :) )
I recall someone saying (well, writing) that the previous forum concluded that yes, making a mountain-levelling collar is ridiculous overkill and that GS was probably lying.

Drevvy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Drevvy » Wed May 01, 2013 11:11 am

If THAC0 was here, would he be complaining that "Back in my day, 'Detonate' could only be used on non-living things."

"Furthermore, the science has no effect on animals of any sort, including intelligent creatures such as humans, or undead with free will." - The Complete Psionics Handbook (2nd edition AD&D)

Drakonim
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Drakonim » Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm

This is the worst I've felt since Klik :'( second time i yelled NOOOO at my screen

I really really hope the people who say that Kin's tail is longer than the exploded part are right and that she will be okay.
The fact that the next one is an altsplanations is even worse.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Drakonim wrote:I really really hope the people who say that Kin's tail is longer than the exploded part are right and that she will be okay.
I really doubt it... The comic seems rather clear on the fact that her tail was exploded to the bottom of her jacket/coat.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is "rather clear" that her tail was entirely exploded. It is true that there is nothing to indicate that it wasn't; however, the explosion covers enough space that it is possible that it could be masking more loops of her tail behind it.

I used to think that Kin was going to die; now my opinion rests on just precisely how much of her tail she has left.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Kin's tail in the 5th panel is curled strangely, sure, but the explosion in panel 6 is right by her jacket.

I don't personally have any confusion there, but we'll see when the next update comes. Unless we're with MinMax, in which case we'll see soon enough.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm

kaeroku wrote:Modnote: Since the post I'm responding to is considered "ok" (not snipped,) responding to it ought to be as well.
I for one strongly disagree with the mods' decision to snip anything. There's nothing wrong with a little off-topicking between friends.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Does it matter how much exploded? A huge amount of her internal organs are exposed, and I forsee massive haemorrhaging that only the Healing Potion -maybe- can stop.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed May 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Psimax wants her alive. If he had wanted her dead, he would have exploded her head. He's going to heal her next round, one way or another.

Of course I've been wrong before, but it seems very likely.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Glemp wrote:
stevedj wrote: Ah, but WHO said it was cursed? Kin...? ...merely repeating what was told to her, by... yup -- think about that for a moment... (And remember, I'm only playing "What if?" here :) )
I recall someone saying (well, writing) that the previous forum concluded that yes, making a mountain-levelling collar is ridiculous overkill and that GS was probably lying.
That does not, however, mean that it doesn't cast a death spell on the wearer if remove curse is cast on it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Pneumo
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pneumo » Thu May 02, 2013 2:17 am

Glemp wrote:Does it matter how much exploded? A huge amount of her internal organs are exposed, and I forsee massive haemorrhaging that only the Healing Potion -maybe- can stop.
How do you know her internal organ system isn't like humans, and everything below the waist is just muscle and waist?
Do we have any anatomy of Yuan-Ti ?

Pneumo
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pneumo » Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 am

Reads_Forums wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:
BeanDip wrote:I guess the only way we will know for sure is if we send Thunt lots of cash, hugs and "pretty pleases" in exchange for an "arena" where we can pit characters who never met against each other. >:D

Goblinslayer V Kore, Saral Caine V Kseliss, GAP V MMAP, Riss V Young and Beautiful, Anyone V Kore.

Sounds like a nice dream anyway. :zzz:
The card game which shall be up on Kickstarter in a month or so fits the bill :P

I'm still most concerned with the possibility that Kin's body might be put into an O-Hole (still barely alive or not). At which point PsiMax, MinMax and Forgath will all have no real reason not to

PsiMax will know that this group threw off his calculations, but no memory as to why, and the boys will not remember that they're leaving someone behind. Alternatively, Kin and PsiMax might disappear into the imperfect oblivion, as others have suggested.

Either way, MinMax will be rather like a Rider who survived their Dragon going *between*: forever having an empty part of himself. And you can't exactly go on a quest to revive someone you can't even remember...

Reading this kinda makes sense as to why minimax says "hi names remember me?" And isn't focusing on Kin's plight, will he forget everything about monsters not always being monsters, or just not remember why his feelings changed? It'd solve one of the issues of 156 to as the love would never have existed. A quite possible outcome if we're getting to "hi names" in the near future. It opens up a lot of possibilities for a good story. I approve!
What about Kin comprehending that they always have reset the maze when someone of them died and thinks the only solution to "win" is to drag herself into an oblivion hole.
Thereby "freeing" MM and Forgath from the need to reset the Maze.
She sacrifices herself out of love for MM...

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Thu May 02, 2013 2:56 am

Pneumo wrote:
Reads_Forums wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:

I'm still most concerned with the possibility that Kin's body might be put into an O-Hole (still barely alive or not). At which point PsiMax, MinMax and Forgath will all have no real reason not to

PsiMax will know that this group threw off his calculations, but no memory as to why, and the boys will not remember that they're leaving someone behind. Alternatively, Kin and PsiMax might disappear into the imperfect oblivion, as others have suggested.

Either way, MinMax will be rather like a Rider who survived their Dragon going *between*: forever having an empty part of himself. And you can't exactly go on a quest to revive someone you can't even remember...

Reading this kinda makes sense as to why minimax says "hi names remember me?" And isn't focusing on Kin's plight, will he forget everything about monsters not always being monsters, or just not remember why his feelings changed? It'd solve one of the issues of 156 to as the love would never have existed. A quite possible outcome if we're getting to "hi names" in the near future. It opens up a lot of possibilities for a good story. I approve!
What about Kin comprehending that they always have reset the maze when someone of them died and thinks the only solution to "win" is to drag herself into an oblivion hole.
Thereby "freeing" MM and Forgath from the need to reset the Maze.
She sacrifices herself out of love for MM...
Plausible, if she realises it's the mazes last run and MM & F are reluctant to leave with her mortally wounded.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 am

Pneumo wrote:
Glemp wrote:Does it matter how much exploded? A huge amount of her internal organs are exposed, and I forsee massive haemorrhaging that only the Healing Potion -maybe- can stop.
How do you know her internal organ system isn't like humans, and everything below the waist is just muscle and waist?
It's mostly going off of what's been said by her in comic. Se's talked about how she has two stomachs, eats live animals, her people mate like snakes etc. Going off of that there's no reason NOT to assume that her organs aren't like a snake, which means most of them are in her 'tail'.
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu May 02, 2013 5:13 am

Pneumo wrote:
Even if there no organs exposed (which I doubt given that she needs to have a reproductive system and waste management somewhere), a tail that big requires some huge blood vessels which will have ruptured, just our legs do. Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, getting shot in the leg is very often fatal, let alone having them explode.

Pneumo
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pneumo » Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 am

Glemp wrote:
Pneumo wrote:
Even if there no organs exposed (which I doubt given that she needs to have a reproductive system and waste management somewhere), a tail that big requires some huge blood vessels which will have ruptured, just our legs do. Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, getting shot in the leg is very often fatal, let alone having them explode.
One of my previous posts already covered the potential blood loss (if all of her internal organs are above waste).
So I already got mu bases checked ;)
Last edited by Pneumo on Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu May 02, 2013 5:50 am

RedwoodElf wrote:
Glemp wrote:
stevedj wrote: Ah, but WHO said it was cursed? Kin...? ...merely repeating what was told to her, by... yup -- think about that for a moment... (And remember, I'm only playing "What if?" here :) )
That does not, however, mean that it doesn't cast a death spell on the wearer if remove curse is cast on it.
Could be just a variation on a necklace of firefalls. Take off the collar, and it explodes in a ball of flame.

Taking down a huge area, no. Killing Kin, most certainly, as well as those who decided to remove her collar.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am

Glemp wrote:Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, getting shot in the leg is very often fatal [...]
Beaver bites will do it too, durn varmints.

Drakonim
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Drakonim » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 am

I know but I'm just hoping for her to be alive allthough the realistic side of me says that dissapointment will be experienced in the next couple of updates. The thing is we just don't know her specific anatomy (or at least I don't) and since her tail is pretty damn long I would have thought that the explosion would have been a lot bigger if her entire tail got exploded.