Sapphire, Ruby, & Onyx HQ panel

Discuss the comic here!
morikahn
The Former Colorist

Sapphire, Ruby, & Onyx HQ panel

Post by morikahn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 pm

So, I'm waiting on Thunt to send me the last couple pages to color, so I decided to finish up this panel I've been working on. I wanted to do a high quality shot of the 3 snake women things - when they first showed up.

Here it is. Hope you all like.

Note: if you click on the image, it will open in some fancy preview window. There is a magnifying glass button on the top left of this window, which will let you see it full size.
Last edited by morikahn on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuIstalri
Whispers Softly

Re: Sapphire and the other two, HQ image

Post by DuIstalri » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 pm

:cheer: That is brilliant, nice work.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:34 am

I'm now the happiest Goblinite in the world. Are those lovely sparkling scales something you're going to incorporate into all Kins from now on?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 am

I love it. My favorite part is the reflection in the spider's eyes. Not overdone, and not overlooked. Brilliant.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 am

Not just the spider, Onyx's eye and even Ruby's armor also have a bit of green.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:31 am

Note to self: If having multiple Kin ex-girlfriends across realities, do not let them meet.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 am

You make things really big when you color them. Amazing. I can't wait for the rest of the pages. :D
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:36 pm

As per your instructions I will put my compliments in the other thread where they belong.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm glad you guys like it. Looks like I forgot to put a little sparkle on the right side of Onyx. I'll have to add that to the finished product.

This panel far exceeds the level of quality I can maintain for the comic, you won't see me spend so much time on a character, especially, when a very large portion of those details simple wont exists at the resolution the art is displayed on the screen. This is what the panel will look like when shrunk down to normal size.

Those cute little green eyes on the spider.. all blurry now (wah!)

Tarol sends me the pages at 600 dpi. The image I posted here is almost the full size I work at (I think I shrunk it down about 20%). I assumed Tarol was going to need a high quality version of those 3 characters for his card game, so I decided to do some extra work on them. Also.. I got the feeling some of you really liked those characters.. and would possible wants a desktop background made of them.

BuildsLegos, I probably won't do that sparkle effects often, as I think overuse of it will ruin it. It will depend on the panel.

(Note: its cool to talk about this panel here, willpell.)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Sapphire, Ruby, & Onyx HQ panel

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:31 pm

This looks great indeed.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm

This is so awesome o__o

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 am

morikahn wrote:I'm glad you guys like it. Looks like I forgot to put a little sparkle on the right side of Onyx. I'll have to add that to the finished product.

This panel far exceeds the level of quality I can maintain for the comic, you won't see me spend so much time on a character, especially, when a very large portion of those details simple wont exists at the resolution the art is displayed on the screen. This is what the panel will look like when shrunk down to normal size.

Those cute little green eyes on the spider.. all blurry now (wah!)

Tarol sends me the pages at 600 dpi. The image I posted here is almost the full size I work at (I think I shrunk it down about 20%). I assumed Tarol was going to need a high quality version of those 3 characters for his card game, so I decided to do some extra work on them. Also.. I got the feeling some of you really liked those characters.. and would possible wants a desktop background made of them.

BuildsLegos, I probably won't do that sparkle effects often, as I think overuse of it will ruin it. It will depend on the panel.

(Note: its cool to talk about this panel here, willpell.)
Very impressive indeed - even in the shrunk-down version! I love the effect of the torches backlighting them. There is one thing though that I want to ask about... the boundary between the lit parts of their tails, and the dark/shadowed part... could it perhaps be a little less... stark? (instead being more... gradual)?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 am

You might have a point with Ruby & Onyx, but Sapphire's tail has an obvious edge to it.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am

Wow - jaw-droppingly awesome!

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

YES! This is what I've been waiting for! It's great, it's amazing!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 pm

My favorite is the fur on the spider. Morikahn, this panel is a perfect example of the sort of texture and atmosphere that I greatly appreciate as a fan, as stated in the post I made on your other thread. A few more layers of depth added to an already great strip.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Very nice! I love their eyes.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:28 pm

I love this panel, great colouring job! And that is a very cuddly little spider!

I hope we get to hear about their realities from Thunt at some point though!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 pm

lingrem wrote:...I hope we get to hear about their realities from Thunt at some point though!
A reality where everyone is Kin.... :shock:

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Zwums wrote:
lingrem wrote:...I hope we get to hear about their realities from Thunt at some point though!
A reality where everyone is Kin.... :shock:
You have it wrong, Sapphire was seen http://www.goblinscomic.com/06242011/here. My theory is they teamed up after killing each others' Minmaxes & Forgaths, each planning to kill the other.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Or perhaps they know/believe that the Maze will let any three people out if they enter the Maze at the same time, and are hoping that if they are all holding the Teapot, they'll each get a copy to take home. They'd never get Minmax and Forgath to agree to a plan that leaves them still stuck in the Maze with no Kins, so they just killed them, or at least left them behind somehow.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.