Custom title

Discuss the comic here!
gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Custom title

Post by gamecreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

No, I asked why do we need registration date there. As for me, I would like to see last visit date instead.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Indeed, the "last visit" would indeed be more interesting. Is that accessible under the user's page?

Yes. A last visited is there. That would definitely be a better indication of "active" or "inactive" user than post count or date of registration.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Except, for members who want to remain hidden (like me), that Last Visited thing is just a hyphen (-).......

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 pm

We are only adding modifications that are current (3.0.11). Many of the modifications that have been posted are for earlier versions. Unfortunately there are fewer options for the current version of phpBB.

As for the post counts and titles that go with them, there's a reason the user titles do little more than describe how verbose the member is. We won't be removing the post counts, join date or user titles any time soon. We have enough other things to worry about.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:there's a reason the user titles do little more than describe how verbose the member is.
That make it look even more like achievement.
Dusk9 wrote:Except, for members who want to remain hidden (like me), that Last Visited thing is just a hyphen (-).......
That's because you never visited unhidden, I think.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

So what if it looks like an achievement? If it becomes a problem, we can deal with it then. Never borrow trouble.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Gamecreator, we had a lengthy discussion as a community about user post counts on the BF forum. The current set up (with a group for opting out of a user title) is the solution we settled on. Is it perfect? No, but it's not bad either.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am

You know, having had the alternative of a CRASHED forum, I think I really don't care much about what is shown or not, as long as it's stable.
And that there IS a forum.

The whole rest can wait. Years or decennia. Since there is no perfect solution (the tastes differ too much anyway), I go along with what is provided, and hope that it is stable and recoverable in cases of failure.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:17 am

gamecreator wrote:
Dusk9 wrote:Except, for members who want to remain hidden (like me), that Last Visited thing is just a hyphen (-).......
That's because you never visited unhidden, I think.
No, pretty sure that's not how it works. I wasn't hidden the first few times I logged on, and I've still got the hyphen (at least, I assume I do - I can't actually know for sure because Mods can see when hidden members were last on regardless).

Also, we specifically made sure that the higher post-count titles made fun of how much the member posted, so that it wasn't considered an achievement. And if you really wanted to show off how much time you wasted posting here, you'd brag about the actual numbers instead of a vague title.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 am

I just made myself hidden, dusk is correct, there is a hyphen.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 am

Groo_the_Wanderer wrote:I wonder if there is anywhere where the post count titles are explained / listed. Would be kinda cool to see if there are any worth "working" for!
Groo?

There once was a warrior named Groo,
Who fought and he hacked and he slew.
He came to each town
and burned it right down
and ate all their cheeze dip up, too!

I am hiding my cheese dip! Don't let him near my ship, either!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)