Custom title

Discuss the comic here!
TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Custom title

Post by TinSoldier » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Okay, I see a few people have custom titles ("Knows Everything") or whatever, instead of "Remains Silent".

I can't find where in the user control panel to change this. I've used phpbb before, even though it's been awhile.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Custom title

Post by SamWiser » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 pm

The titles are mostly based on post count. The more you post, the more your title changes. Some people have special titles because they are a mod, or did something special. Burns, for instance helped create the controversy thread, so she has the "Sparks Controversy" title. Unfortunately cool titles like that are only for people that do special stuff, and normal people like us have to post a lot to change ours.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Cool, thanks. I know it has to do with how the board is set up. Sometimes it's user changeable, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing it.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am

If you want the knows everything, you have to stop posting at 42 posts I think :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 am

I like that setup, I think it's pretty sweet. Especially since my forum name was very plain.

PLAIN GENIOUS

:paranoia:
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Theis2 wrote:If you want the knows everything, you have to stop posting at 42 posts I think :P
For real? Now I'm really motivated to reach 42, but afraid to because then I would have to decide whether to ever post again. :wall:

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 pm

I wonder if there is anywhere where the post count titles are explained / listed. Would be kinda cool to see if there are any worth "working" for!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

There was on the old forum now lost to the oblivion holes.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm

What, and ruin the surprise?
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:What, and ruin the surprise?
:praise:

only cause we don't yet have an applause smiley
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Belzera
Mutters to Themself

Post by Belzera » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 am

RocketScientist wrote:There was on the old forum now lost to the oblivion holes.
:? but we never had an old forum, did we?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 am

An old what, now? Why were we talking about that? :P

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 am

"That?"
I cannot understand what you're talking about.....
We had a snotling forum (which I have missed having started too late for that), a Keenspot forum, then a while without a forum, the Interim Forum, and now Goblinsforum.com.

But on none of these we had a thread with a list of the titles based on post count.

So, what are you talking about?

Or is your memory as faulty as a Blind Ferret's one?

;)
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 pm

There was at one point a list of suggestions on BF, but I didn't strictly adhere to them.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I know, and I do hope you've went loose on the titles. I love the titles, and the large variety in there.

Thanks for your efforts! I appreciate them! :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh there are some new fun ones... but we won't be seeing them for awhile yet. If you have any ideas for novelty ones feel free to pm them to me.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 am

For fun I just had a look through the titles..... (using the members page, sorted by post count).
What's the deal with "Smiths Silly Smiles"? Saw it with Zathyr, and Zathyr's profile did not show any other group than the "Registered Users", therefore it must be post count based (= 71 posts?).

With 42 I did understand the, but with 71 and Smiths Silly Smiles?

Or can you give custom titles without creating specific groups for that person?

Forget it, the question told me what I needed to do, I checked with Burns profile, and she's also only in "Registered Users".

So, Smiths Silly Smiles is an awarded title.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:20 am

I award special titles to people who make significant Contributions to the community, speaking of... I forgot to add "Transcribes Goblins" for you.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 am

Take your time. I like the post-count based one too, although personally I'd prefer to not count the posts made in the games sub-forum....

And you had and have more than enough to do with the complete forum rebuild and upgrade going on.

(BTW, did I thank you sufficiently for your efforts?
Just to be sure: THANK YOU! (Pass a bit of this "thank you" on to Igthorn and all others involved, please.))

Edit: there it is already. A minute ago the title was not there. :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 am

You're very welcome! :D That's what we're here for. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to ignore posts in the games forum, and really that wouldn't be fair to them either because there are a great deal of valuable posts in Games. The better option (if I can find a way) would be to ignore posts that have fewer than a certain number of characters. If anyone finds a mod that works with phpBb 3.0.11 that would achieve this let me know.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 am

It's not a big deal, and a minimum number of Characters is easily circumvented too (e.g. by using Mnementh's technique of having a closing line).
And yes, I agree, the games-section does deliver a LOT for our community, that's why it's not a big deal for me.
Especially the GM's put a lot of effort in our community.
It's just that the posts there are seldom related to the Goblinscomic.

I once was on a phpBB forum where the "games", "controverse discussions", "spam", ... section posts were not counted. So at least it once was possible. Newer phpBB version may have lost this ability.

So, as you can see, I do understand why many forumites would want the posts to be counted, even if I am personally against that.
But it's not my opinion which counts, we are a moderatorship with democracy-benevolent moderators.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

Who cares about postcount, anyway?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm

gamecreator wrote:Who cares about postcount, anyway?
Some people who're new to a forum may take the forumites with more posts far more seriously than someone with a low post count, since the larger post count generally means you've been around longer.

The special titles that go along with post counts are something silly* that the forum members can look forward to "unlocking" like a special achievement in a game.

*I am by no means belittling your ideas.. I think they're awesome and far better than I could come up with.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I propose to revise user properties displayed beside posts. There is definitely no use for postcount there. And what about registration date?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:19 pm

See the "Joined" right below the post count?

There is even a mod for phpBB allowing to display the amount of different threads one has posted in......

There are also another interesting mod for GM's or players the "User's notes" mod.
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.