Coloring delay

Discuss the comic here!
morikahn
The Former Colorist

Coloring delay

Post by morikahn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm a couple pages behind (again.)

<boring story>

Once a year, there is a giant festival in my town, the Fallbrook Avocado Festival (guess what its about), and my paper (I do layout and pagination at the local towns newspaper) doubled in size. Plus, we put out a yearly magazine at the same time. I haven't had a day off in about a week in a half. I finished up the last of the work 10:00 pm last night. I'm be back on coloring now.

</boring story>

I may skip one of the the pages so I can keep up with Tarol's schedule and, hopefully, get it done later.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: Coloring delay

Post by stevedj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm

But, that story isn't boring... it is quite fascinating! Thanks! (and thanks for the update... and thanks for the great coloring work... etc etc etc) :D

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Don't worry about it. You have been doing a great job, and keeping up with Thunt's schedule, so a little delay is just fine. We can wait.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Now's a good a time as any that I strongly suggest you go back and shade the skipped pages instead skipping yet another. Seriously, it's one of those things where the more you put it off, the more you put it off.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

To be honest, I dont care how fast the pages are shaded/gets the extra touch.. the most important is that they do... In my oppinion...
-Best regards LAYF

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:13 am

Mmmm. Avocados.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 am

My thought. Now I'm hungry.

Plus, leave your time with the shading, as some readers do prefer the unshaded version......

Give them time to read them.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Now's a good a time as any that I strongly suggest you go back and shade the skipped pages instead skipping yet another. Seriously, it's one of those things where the more you put it off, the more you put it off.
I vote that you colour what ever it is that you feel enthusiastic about colouring ... chase the passion, not the grind etc. etc.,

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks for keeping us up to date! ;)

I really appreciate that. Saves me from checking all the time [size=small]like I need to do with the main page[/size]. Image

mortissimus
Speaks Quietly

Post by mortissimus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 am

Have I mentioned how much the coloring improved the zombie corridors scenes? Well, if not, then I am doing it now. Really added a scariness factor that was not there before.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 am

Tofu wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Now's a good a time as any that I strongly suggest you go back and shade the skipped pages instead skipping yet another. Seriously, it's one of those things where the more you put it off, the more you put it off.
I vote that you colour what ever it is that you feel enthusiastic about colouring ... chase the passion, not the grind etc. etc.,
But this isn't his passion project; even if Thunt thinks of it as a passion, (I'm sure he does.) Morikahn applies his talents to someone else's hard work. I'm of the understanding that even when your boss is persistently distracted by events beyond his control, your own diligence is still much preferred.

I don't mean to say that Morikahn is actually slacking off; he clearly shades every chance he gets and I love the result as much as anyone. But this "skipping pages to keep up" business is a developing pattern that I don't fully appreciate.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Eh, he's been far more reliable on the scheme than Thunt ever managed to be. I think we can trust him to choose the right path there as well, he doesn't strike me as a procrastinator, rather as the opposite, he actively controls his workload.

Indeed he also chooses to inform the readers of when to expect updates, and very correctly so.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Well, I find the shading often exaggerated.
At begin it's impressive, but after a while , it looks a bit unnatural .
So somehow it doesn't bother me the alternation between flat & shaded versions.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Changes_everything wrote:Eh, he's been far more reliable on the scheme than Thunt ever managed to be. I think we can trust him to choose the right path there as well, he doesn't strike me as a procrastinator, rather as the opposite, he actively controls his workload.

Indeed he also chooses to inform the readers of when to expect updates, and very correctly so.
I'm sure you noticed I went out of my way to say he's not a procrastinator on account of his impressive diligence; what worries me is that he IS procrastinating. The fact that it's for the sake of keeping up isn't good enough for me because I'm worried he'll never go back and finish the zombie fight or whatever page he's about to skip. What I'm saying is, by all means, fall behind as long as the job is done eventually.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 am

extrabigmehdi wrote:Well, I find the shading often exaggerated.
At begin it's impressive, but after a while , it looks a bit unnatural .
My point. I preferred the shading THunt applied himself.
But that really screwed up with THUnt's feeling of timeliness and therefore with his job satisfaction.
But IMHO, this comic needs no shading.

MapsGroxily
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MapsGroxily » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:08 am

I actually like both states:

The non-shaded version feels like a raw copy from THunt's mind, while the shaded one is like a 'redo' of that copy. It is true that occasionally the shaded one is done exaggeratedly but it's usually to improve the mood. (like in the tower room with the Battle of Alts)

The originals have that kind of quality that's in most of the comic so they have some nostalgia feeling if nothing else, and there are details in the non-shaded one that can be obscured or subtle in the colored one.

Both are great in my opinion, and the current rate of coloring is fine with me. :)

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I'd appreciate it if every time I post something on this forum that it not get hijacked by those that don't like the coloring style or decisions I've chosen. I'm quite aware some of you don't like my work.

You don't pay me; Thunt does. He's the only one I have to please. Being that the unshaded works are always posted before I get a chance to work on them, just right click and save the images to your computer. Then, you'll have your own personal non-morikahnified version of the comic.

If you guys really want to complain about me, make your own topic and fill it there with your vituperative remarks. That way at least you'll be on topic and I'll know where not to go on the forum to read your inane comments.

Edit: I'll actually just start that topic for you.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

You are taking it too hard.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

morikahn wrote:I'd appreciate it if every time I post something on this forum that it not get hijacked by those that don't like the coloring style or decisions I've chosen. I'm quite aware some of you don't like my work.

You don't pay me; Thunt does. He's the only one I have to please. Being that the unshaded works are always posted before I get a chance to work on them, just right click and save the images to your computer. Then, you'll have your own personal non-morikahnified version of the comic.

If you guys really want to complain about me, make your own topic and fill it there with your vituperative remarks. That way at least you'll be on topic and I'll know where not to go on the forum to read your inane comments.

Edit: I'll actually just start that topic for you.
Hmm.. I understand you.. You do put a lot of work into these pages, and it is admiareble.... personaly I like it, AND i like it before you work on it... so im glad to see both sides... I'd love to be able to tell people to "play nice" but the truth is, no matter how good you are... some people will not like it... so I ask you... please... take the love that some of us give your work, and forget the rest...

You do awsome work, and following those who dislike it will only bring you sorrow....
-Best regards LAYF

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

For some reason I don't understand, there are always a handful of people who have to mention their dislike of the shading every time it's mentioned. Your objections have been overruled by Thunt. Bringing it up over and over* again makes you kind of a dick. >:?

*which I know not everyone does

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I'd just like these negative comments in one place, if you all don't mind. Its not that they are said, its that they are inserted into every dialogue I partake here in the forums.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:46 pm

You realise what I'm saying is constructive criticism, right? Please?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think that he has a problem with what you are saying, just where you are saying it. He wants to be able to post in this forum without it turning into a criticism of his work. For instance, he can post saying that the coloring will be late, and we can talk about that, not the art itself. Now with all of the complaints in one place, he can post without derailing a thread.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Even constructive criticism turns into just criticism when it's said over and over and over. Besides, he's right. THunt is the one he has to impress, so as long as THunt is happy it's all good.

Personally, I love morikhan's work.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I only repeated myself in response to others; my original intent was to say it just once and it kinda got out of hand. As for only pleasing Thunt, there's no doubt he'll make the older pages a higher priority eventually even if it's a year from now.