April - 12 2013 Wasting Time

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: April - 12 2013 Wasting Time

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:13 pm

It would be too much of a tease to let the winners get more loot than they can carry; do you REMEMBER how big some of the equipment is? Each of them could only carry 1 of the biggest each. Actually, scratch that, the shield at least is too big for even Minmax. At best, Forgath quickly grabs some magic jewelry at the same time that Kin gets her teapot.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 am

And then they have to get out, before Minmax gets killed.....
So only two loot articles of the big ones, at maximum. Under a time constraint.

A wild guess from my side: Forgath uses the Teapot to teleport to Complains of Names and the GAP, but Minmax will stay with Kin, to explore the "trueseeing" a lot more, and more and more and a lot.
So the "Hi Names. Remember me?" is actually Forgath.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 am

Can the Jade Teapot be used to go to a dead person? If not, then they could use it to test if Minmax is still alive by one of them trying to teleport to Minmax while the other waits to see the outcome before jumping in the circle.

The idea of Psimax being insane and wrong sounds right to me. It might be impossible for him to achieve his goal, but he seems pretty sure, and it doesn't feel right for him to not even be a real threat.

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

Looks like my anti-climax theory is shot already. ;) Oh well. Although as someone else mentioned, he could just decide to wave them through just to get them out of his equations.

However, to fit in with the Chekhov's Gun still lying around, he could chase FK down the halls and get knocked into the oblivion hole that they had to climb past, that Minmax covered up with the Big Blue Ear.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Krulle wrote:And then they have to get out, before Minmax gets killed.....
So only two loot articles of the big ones, at maximum. Under a time constraint.

A wild guess from my side: Forgath uses the Teapot to teleport to Complains of Names and the GAP, but Minmax will stay with Kin, to explore the "trueseeing" a lot more, and more and more and a lot.
So the "Hi Names. Remember me?" is actually Forgath.
It never even occurred to me that it might be Forgath without Minmax. Huh. Interesting. You may be onto something here.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 pm

That might work, but would Forgath really talk to Names? Assuming Minmax is dead, then killing names, and even going after the GAP is useless. That would mean that Names is no longer in trouble. If for some reason, Forgath wanted to talk the the GAP, then wouldn't he want to talk to Thaco or Big Ears? Actually I don't even know if he knew their names. Did he?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

You're forgetting that the rivalry with Names is secondary to their suspicion of this, hence the way they talked about the GAP here.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm

True, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that Forgath would try to take care of them. He has no chance of course, but it's not surprising that he would try.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 am

I forgot how hilarious Minmax is when he sulks. The tree-kicking is second only to "I don't wanna" when Kin tries to dress him.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 am

SamWiser wrote:That might work, but would Forgath really talk to Names? Assuming Minmax is dead, then killing names, and even going after the GAP is useless. That would mean that Names is no longer in trouble. If for some reason, Forgath wanted to talk the the GAP, then wouldn't he want to talk to Thaco or Big Ears? Actually I don't even know if he knew their names. Did he?
He does know "Names", and he knows Chief and Big Ears are of the same clan, so assuming that they might be together is not that far fetched, is it?

http://www.goblinscomic.com/01212006/: I think, Forgath knows at least Thaco's name.
http://www.goblinscomic.com/01292006/: And he should know that Complains of Names is called "Complains" for short, not "Names".
But that might get lost over time, and the way Minmax talks about it all leads to remembering "Names" most prominently...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Here's the (first) page you're after and I don't see anything like that.
No, the one I was thinking of was before that, when they were first talking about heading there and why Kin wanted to go (to find the Jade teapot.)

I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Without actually going through and reading again I doubt I'll be able to reconcile what's in my head with what I read. I still have a persistent nagging that tells me it was covered that each group can finish once and never go back in... along with a few other details, but it has been a LONG time.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:58 am

No, there is nothing about that either. Kin told only that she is after jade teapot and that Minmax and Forgath can keep all other treasures if they will help her.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 am

going into the Maze of Madness, die several hundred thousand times, leave with loads of wild arse magical loot. MinMax's first thought, Lets go back for more. There has to be a reason why that does not happen.

Also - does the Jade Teapot work within the alternate worldspace of the godlings sword? My thought is that they have to travel back to reality #156 then use the Jade Teapot's power.

Further thought - if Kin/MinMax are Trueseeing each other in Love - how could they leave each other's side to go pick on our favourite barbarian ... Complain's

... I have to say, speculation is fun. Critiquing shading & colour and art is not. More mindless plot speculation please ... :)

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:59 am

Tofu wrote:... I have to say, speculation is fun. Critiquing shading & colour and art is not.
I suppose I'll have to agree to disagree on your second statement there, Tofu. :roll:

Constructive criticism is always useful.

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:14 am

gamecreator wrote:No, there is nothing about that either. Kin told only that she is after jade teapot and that Minmax and Forgath can keep all other treasures if they will help her.
You are correct (as you know.) I went back through and looked and do not see the information I was thinking about. I must have injected it into the story when I was thinking about the Maze when it was first discussed.

Oh, well...

Lee
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Lee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

CelineSSauve wrote:
Tofu wrote:... I have to say, speculation is fun. Critiquing shading & colour and art is not.
I suppose I'll have to agree to disagree on your second statement there, Tofu. :roll:

So are Prostate exams, and I've yet to hear anyone say those are FUN. :D

Edit: And to bring my post back onto topic: Does anyone else think the way Forgath grabbed the key that bites seems awkward with the anymug on his hands and only sloshing it a bit?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 am

Maybe that was just his super-nimble dwarven fingers. What? You're saying that dwarves don't have super-nimble fingers? Why does Minmax hang out with him anyway. :P

In reality, there are 2 panels where we don't see Forgath while he is picking up the keys, so he might have picked up one, put it in his other hand, and then picked up the others. Maybe not, I don't know.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm

It really doesn't matter if Kin and Forgath kill Psymax, he would still reset with the maze. IF they force him to 'win' then they lose oblivious and everything. So...we know they don't want to do that. They just have to win..psymax will probably just let them, as removing them will eliminate any calculation problems. Looks like Psymax wins any how you cut it. Even if Kin/Forgath kill him, he resets.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:

As long as by "useful" you mean that it pisses off the shading artist. He's been pretty clear about the fact that the only person he wants input from is Thunt. Most recently here.

Trojan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Trojan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Hmm, I don't recall anything being said that the maze returned people to exactly where they entered from - could the maze exit be what teleports them in front of the GAP? Otherwise they are still some way away from them, Kin won't teleport with the teapot, MinMax probably won't teleport without Kin and Forgath won't go alone.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:

As long as by "useful" you mean that it pisses off the shading artist. He's been pretty clear about the fact that the only person he wants input from is Thunt. Most recently here.
I had not seen that post until you linked to it.

That's fine then, I won't offer any feedback to the shading, one way or the other. If you don't want comments, you also don't want praise.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Maybe he doesn't. I couldn't say.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 pm

RocketScientist wrote:As long as by "useful" you mean that it pisses off the shading artist. He's been pretty clear about the fact that the only person he wants input from is Thunt.
Or at least that he only wants input from anyone else if he specifically goes looking for it. I didn't get so much that he wanted zero negativity, but that he was getting it constantly and wanted to stem the tide. If he never checks the criticism thread, I'll be disappointed, but it looked like he was saying he didn't mind the complaints, as long as he had the option of avoiding them when he was completely not in the mood. I can respect that a lot more than I could respect a complete unwillingness to take his audience's preferences into account; the ability for consumers to talk to creators is critical to the modern definition of quality artistic works. (Compare comics in the Silver Age to webcomics today; used to be the Ivory Tower decided what you'd get, and you liked it or lumped it, but now there's much more of a two-way street.)
CelineSSauve wrote:That's fine then, I won't offer any feedback to the shading, one way or the other. If you don't want comments, you also don't want praise.
+1 to this attitude, though I lack the discipline to make such a commitment.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm

morikahn wrote:If you guys really want to complain about me, make your own topic and fill it there with your vituperative remarks. That way at least you'll be on topic and I'll know where not to go on the forum to read your inane comments.
emphasis mine

I interpret that as a polite "no thank you" to non-Thunt criticism.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:02 am

Well maybe he was just feeling bitter at the time. I'll be sad if that's his opinion at all times; he's completely within his rights to have a mood when he can't stand to be unappreciated, but I believe everyone should be receptive to some feedback.
My long-neglected blog.