April - 12 2013 Wasting Time

Discuss the comic here!
(^_^)
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: April - 12 2013 Wasting Time

Post by (^_^) » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm

And this, my friends, is how they miss out on all that loot.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 pm

There is no way that they are not meeting Psimax at least one more time. Could he get out and follow them and harass them in their reality? Seems unlikely.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Post by Sidewaysgts » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm

So heres a thought. Hypothetically speaking if they were to all lose again and had to restart..

Would minmax still have access (even though he wouldnt know/remember it) to oblivious? What kind of sword would be in that chest now if they returned to it? Would it be void of the black oblivious that exists even though it never existed- because the sword can now no longer be effected by anything but minmax, even time- Or would the reset also have reset the actions of minmax meaning that the sword that he unexisted into existence wouldnt still exist and instead wed find the sword that still had all of its original material changing properties?

Side note: My brains hurt.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:39 pm

So here's my theory: MinMax will be fine. We have yet to hear Kin admit the she "sees" him.

As for PisMax, as soon as the "love" reality is out of the equation, he'll have his Oblivion.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:45 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:I did not. But if they win and re-enter, they wont forget! See?
Ah, I'm very sorry to have forgotten that part. Still, my theory that the traps are randomly mix-&-matched with contestants will solve that. For that matter, the sword might not even let them in a second time, as it could be considered cheating.

Also, as I was compelled to fix your grammar, I decided to shorten the wording as well; I hope you don't mind my weirdness.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Also, as I was compelled to fix your grammar, I decided to shorten the wording as well; I hope you don't mind my weirdness.
No that's fine... I'm dysgrapich, so I'll newer note's anyway... :)

And yea.. randomness will solve the problem... but i dont think there is random ness... PsiMax knows every variable and how it plays out EVERY time (near every time that is) so i dont see how the things could change beound one leaving.. The sword not letting them re-enter on hte other hand is a fair idea.... and if PsiMax makes oblivion in there, there would be nothing to enter anyways....
-Best regards LAYF

Zambee
Whispers Softly

Post by Zambee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I imagine that due to the unique nature of the Maze of Many, it would naturally have built in safeguards to prevent anyone from re-entering once they have completed it. Much like Minmax's sword had built in safeguards.
Some D&D based games allow you to put points into levelling specific skills such as "Lore". Characters with high skill in Lore would be able to identify items and give useful information about things like dungeons or plot characters. Being as intelligent as she is, Kin would likely know a lot of the lore in her realm.

I'm sure they'll all get out in good enough health, I'm just sorry that Kin and Minmax will have to part ways soon when he uses the Jade Teapot :(

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:05 pm

BeanDip wrote:Also am I missing something or is there a weird perspective issue on the mouth mechanism? When Kin is next to Forgath it looks like the mouth is level with the floor. Then when we see the keys, it looks like the mouth is actually a shallow pit in the floor with Forgath inside of it.
The mouth is definitely a shallow pit; it's just the perspective.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Post by Miryafa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 pm

T-RexWithTourettes wrote:I have a feeling Psimax will be dropping a visit sometime to either Forgath and Kin when before they reach the room
FTFY. All this dialogue just makes me think: cue Psimax, right in front of the door.

"Can't let you do that, Star Forgath!" 8)

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 am

Well Minmax will never get out of that room by himself. I'm going to give it a whirl and say he kills most of them but is really greviously wounded and PsiMax comes along, about to crush/remove MM from existence when Kin and Forgarth finish the Maze.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:11 am

That would seem like a cop out to me. For me to be satisfied, they need to really confront and defeat Psimax somehow. I don't think Thunt would let that villain be something they simply escape and allow to unexist all the other realities. I'm still betting on him being thrown into an oblivion hole. I bet we even get a panel of his Kin and Forgath looking confused as they reappear with no sign of Psimax in the room.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 am

Rorrik wrote:That would seem like a cop out to me. For me to be satisfied, they need to really confront and defeat Psimax somehow. I don't think Thunt would let that villain be something they simply escape and allow to unexist all the other realities. I'm still betting on him being thrown into an oblivion hole. I bet we even get a panel of his Kin and Forgath looking confused as they reappear with no sign of Psimax in the room.
As this is not true Oblivion, though, they I suspect they will be uncreated when the Maze resets itself. That means that things which were "lost" in the O-Holes would be back with their respective groups in their starting rooms.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 am

I think Psimax will reconsider whatever reason he has to unmake himself and sincerely repent of his deeds to his party, and everyone will live happily from then.

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am

gamecreator wrote:I think Psimax will reconsider whatever reason he has to unmake himself and sincerely repent of his deeds to his party, and everyone will live happily from then.
I think this is one of the more likable zany theories we've heard :)

As for mine, I do think they're going to run in to PsiMax. I think he needs to keep the 218 groups in the maze constant to be able to make accurate calculations. Even if he can't predict that our group is at the final room, he should have some alarm set up just in case; or better yet, he'll already have disabled the exit portal somehow.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Rorrik wrote:That would seem like a cop out to me. For me to be satisfied, they need to really confront and defeat Psimax somehow. I don't think Thunt would let that villain be something they simply escape and allow to unexist all the other realities.
Psimax seeks only to unmake the Maze of Many and everyone within it. Not the rest of the multiverse.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Miryafa wrote:
T-RexWithTourettes wrote:I have a feeling Psimax will be dropping a visit sometime to either Forgath and Kin when before they reach the room
FTFY. All this dialogue just makes me think: cue Psimax, right in front of the door.

I would think that PsiMax would want our FMK to win. It removes the factor that messed up his equations.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Zambee wrote:I imagine that due to the unique nature of the Maze of Many, it would naturally have built in safeguards to prevent anyone from re-entering once they have completed it. Much like Minmax's sword had built in safeguards.
Some D&D based games allow you to put points into levelling specific skills such as "Lore". Characters with high skill in Lore would be able to identify items and give useful information about things like dungeons or plot characters. Being as intelligent as she is, Kin would likely know a lot of the lore in her realm.

I'm sure they'll all get out in good enough health, I'm just sorry that Kin and Minmax will have to part ways soon when he uses the Jade Teapot :(
My thought on the mechanism of the MoM is this: Since each time a party enters the MoM there are infinite versions of themselves there will always be the Psimax situation. So as soon as you win, another group has obliterated all of the MoM for your group. It no longer exists for you. This same thing would happen if the GAP went in, except that it would be a psionic goblin or an insane wizard reality or some other doomsday situation. We are just lucky to see this in action as FMK may just be the final group to survive it. Who knows though, Psimax could fail millions more attempts and it would still happen the instant FMK emerge from the maze.

Pink Bunny
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Pink Bunny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
Miryafa wrote:

I would think that PsiMax would want our FMK to win. It removes the factor that messed up his equations.
Kind of. It just introduces yet another factor that would mess up his equations one would think, just because a FMK would enter. Though I imagine whenever his calculations are near done what he ends up doing is rushing the newest groups that aren't involved with said equation and KOing them before they influence anyone or anything.

someone
Whispers Softly

Post by someone » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 pm

So, Schroedingers MinMax?
Splendid.

shikashaker
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Shikashaker

Post by shikashaker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:27 pm

:shrug: i wonder if Oblivious works outside the Maze...
When the serpent becomes your prey,
friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Pink Bunny wrote:Though I imagine whenever his calculations are near done what he ends up doing is rushing the newest groups that aren't involved with said equation and KOing them before they influence anyone or anything.
Then they will influence everything with their absence.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
Rorrik wrote:That would seem like a cop out to me. For me to be satisfied, they need to really confront and defeat Psimax somehow. I don't think Thunt would let that villain be something they simply escape and allow to unexist all the other realities. I'm still betting on him being thrown into an oblivion hole. I bet we even get a panel of his Kin and Forgath looking confused as they reappear with no sign of Psimax in the room.
As this is not true Oblivion, though, they I suspect they will be uncreated when the Maze resets itself. That means that things which were "lost" in the O-Holes would be back with their respective groups in their starting rooms.
That's a valid assumption as well, but I disagree, I don't think the maze will bring back things that fall in the O-holes. I could be wrong, of course.
willpell wrote:
Rorrik wrote:That would seem like a cop out to me. For me to be satisfied, they need to really confront and defeat Psimax somehow. I don't think Thunt would let that villain be something they simply escape and allow to unexist all the other realities.
Psimax seeks only to unmake the Maze of Many and everyone within it. Not the rest of the multiverse.
Correct, my terminology was wrong. By "other realities" I meant alternates. I don't think our FMK will simply escape and leave the other alternates to be destroyed. I believe there needs to be some sort of resolution of the Psimax conflict that involves him definitely not unmaking the Maze of Many. I don't think Psimax is going to be convinced, and killing him achieves nothing. I assert that the conflict will only be resolved if Psimax is made never to have been by throwing him in an O-hole. Then even Psimax is partially satisfied by the outcome.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 pm

One possibility is that Psimax gets into a philosophical argument with the giant statue and because of his failure to solve a riddle, he's killed. With the proper forethought, Kin either solves the same riddle or a different one with better haste. Similar to being O-holed, this provides a satisfying conclusion to his threat courtesy of re-accuring themes without putting Forgath & Kin in impossible odds.

Chat-room spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:47 am

See, I seem to remember at some point it was explained the conditions upon which they could re-enter (or not) the MoM. It was by Kin, before they went in... all this discussion on whether they can go back in and get more loot is baffling to me, because I was absolutely certain that had been answered in comic. No time now to find the strip though, and I guess I could be wrong and simply have made a false assumption....... perhaps one of you gents can find it for me :)

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 am

IIRC, there is no such thing in comic.