Best Armor/Equipment

Discuss the comic here!
Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Best Armor/Equipment

Post by Talos » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm

This is a totally subjective question, so I think it deserves to be put in this category. Obviously, there's no right and wrong here, but which character do you think has the best armor/clothing/equipment/weapons?

Based on the sheer power and durability of his gear, I choose Kore. He may be a murderous wacko, but his armor, shield, axes, and crossbows are really, really good.

I'd say Big Ears has the best armor and weapon of the GAP, although it's been a long, long time since we have seen them in comic. The rest of the GAP always seemed under-equipped, but that's just part of the story.

[mod="SeeAMoose"]This belongs in Discussions, not Controversy! Lite[/mod]

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Re: Best Armor/Equipment

Post by Miryafa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 am

Big Ears has a magic battleaxe (presumably 1d10), which is the best melee weapon we've seen (and apparently comes with free armor). I'd say Kore has the best equips though, because his arrows seem to have done a lot of damage (like dropping a bunch of monsters in 1 hit), leading me to believe his crossbows are magic too. His dwarven fullplate (or whatever it is) has been good so far, even if it'd below his WBL as a nonmagical thing. Plus he apparently has the free-action-instant-bolt-refillers-that-hold-infinite-bolts, which is a great item for anyone using a crossbow.

If there's a contender for worst, I say Goblinslayer. Being able to grow your own weapons out of wood is great for people who don't live in a city that produces weapons and don't have the money to buy any, but it's not a great tactic for a dedicated melee-er or especially archer.

Based on what we've seen, I'd have to say this is a very-low-wealth campaign universe. Unfortunately for the GAP, Chief had the best weapon out of everyone. It was better than a Splitting weapon, which is a +2 bonus, and it's Returning, so it's worth at least 50,000gp. Although the weapon itself didn't do much, they could've set themselves up with it.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 am

Well until recently I would have said Dies and Junior hands down (pun!). Now... not so much.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 am

Hands down Forgath.... the Anymug.

My Anymug :paranoia:
Games:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

I think Minmax has the coolest armor... I like being able to colour change it. Although we have yet to learn if it has any special properties!

I also liked Chief's spear.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Oblivious for me. The sword is just awesome! I really dig the scene in which Minmax cuts Grinnorarcen across the eye (well, through his head to be precise). It's really handy in dire straits and can be used as quite an interesting tool for setting traps. Imagine being cornered by an enemy who chased you into a dark alley just because you had no weapon on you. Then suddenly, out of nowhere comes the sword and cuts the said opponent in two.
Last edited by WastesTime on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Likesblue
Remains Silent

Post by Likesblue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Big Ears.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Chief's spear is my personal, it can never get lost, it shoots 5 spears at once, and it looks cool.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Trojan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Trojan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm torn between Big Ears - the axe / armour combo is well above his CR, and Dies - I don't know what his new might do but the last one was insane and he's now got an upgrade :shock:

I'm thinking that oblivious will revert when they leave the MoM, otherwise it would be a strong contender!

Kore's a monster so outside scope, monsters always break the rules!

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Just a quick note here: I put this in controversy lite because people tend to argue about "this thing is best" or "if the Hulk had Thor's hammer". In other words, this has the potential for some significant (if childish) controversy and argument, so I put it in here. And the response to that is "but the Hulk can't LIFT Thor's hammer!" xD

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Trojan wrote: Kore's a monster so outside scope, monsters always break the rules!
The rules just changed

Sorry, so sorry. Could. Not. Resist.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:48 pm

While Kore does seem like a machine in that armor and equipment, it could just be his personal skill. I'd like to point out that he became so desperate to get Big Ear's axe that he was distracted from his destroy evil agenda. Considering it would displace much of his current equipment, it must be pretty dang good for him to chase it.

Oblivious is pretty awesome though. Against any enemy far stronger it takes some of the edge off, and even if you're captured you will always be armed. If I was traveling light, or sneaking into a place, or assassinating someone, it would be my weapon of choice.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Miryafa wrote:Based on what we've seen, I'd have to say this is a very-low-wealth campaign universe. Unfortunately for the GAP, Chief had the best weapon out of everyone. It was better than a Splitting weapon, which is a +2 bonus, and it's Returning, so it's worth at least 50,000gp. Although the weapon itself didn't do much, they could've set themselves up with it.
I'd say this is tough to judge. The GAP are goblins, the first of thier kind to adventure, and unable to use the shops available to human, elven, or dwarven adventurers. So thier experience can't really tell us what is typical for the world. The GAP only gets what they can find, and only if that is sized for them. That is one step short of vow of poverty. Particularly since they don't have any crafter in-party.

I doubt the GAP would sell any magic item they aquire, since they are likely to be so rare, and since in their twilight years they may STILL be called on to defend or avenge goblins. They can't even sell to Hawl (orc trader) if they wanted to.

BE has aclass specific artifact that provides a weapon and armor, and keeps the world from being destroyed. I'd say that wins by a wide margin. Even Kore wants it.

Otherwise, Kore has the best stuff, with custom many shot crossbows with a fancy rapid reload mechanisms. He can simply put too many shots on target in a short time for anyone to do much about it. Then on top of that he has a custom tower shield.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I also wanted to add: Oblivious is the greatest murder weapon ever. Imagine you get an assassin contract to kill a noble. Arrive at the party dressed like everyone else, no weapons, nothing. You only need a small distraction and WHAM! Stabbed to the heart and the weapon vanishes as quickly as it appeared. You could practically do it in plain sight if you made sure the next time you grabbed the sword you had different gloves. Witnesses could confirm seeing a hand holding a black sword, not yours, vanish into thin air.

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am

I want pre-oblivion Oblivious.... It can copy magical properties. Like the anymug.... Not that it'd probably do anything but... the anymug effect on a sword would be fun. Or those growing trees! Or Kin's leash. I'd drive a DM crazy, touching it to anything and everything.

epiclvlcommoner
Remains Silent

Post by epiclvlcommoner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am

Zwums wrote:I want pre-oblivion Oblivious.... It can copy magical properties. Like the anymug.... Not that it'd probably do anything but... the anymug effect on a sword would be fun.
I can think of a few way to use that combo effectively in combat. Have it produce Dragon Draught (can someone check if that's correct), light a match, have pyromaniac fun.

Best magic item, hm... Tempts Fate's Belt, why? Because he jumped into a pile of explosive gold.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 am

epiclvlcommoner wrote:
Zwums wrote: Dragon Draught (can someone check if that's correct),.
Close. Dragon Lung
http://www.goblinscomic.com/03242010/

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am

Double posting cause I'm bored. Now it may not be the best, but consideration has to be made for these things. http://www.goblinscomic.com/03262006/

Man, I could mess some stuff up with those in a game. ANY task? HAVE to answer my questions?! Hell, Kore wasn't even the one to kill her.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Zwums wrote:I want pre-oblivion Oblivious.... It can copy magical properties. Like the anymug.... Not that it'd probably do anything but... the anymug effect on a sword would be fun. Or those growing trees! Or Kin's leash. I'd drive a DM crazy, touching it to anything and everything.
Well, that property will last till first parry (except if it changes only into something better (which is also good alternative explanation to sword not changing from oblivion). Also I can't imagine any reason to copy Kin's leash.

someone
Whispers Softly

Post by someone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Talos wrote:Just a quick note here: I put this in controversy lite because people tend to argue about "this thing is best" or "if the Hulk had Thor's hammer". In other words, this has the potential for some significant (if childish) controversy and argument, so I put it in here. And the response to that is "but the Hulk can't LIFT Thor's hammer!" xD

But if the Hulk lifts Thor while Thor lifts his hammer? Then the Hulk lifts the Hammer too? :paranoia:

epiclvlcommoner
Remains Silent

Post by epiclvlcommoner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:27 pm

SccrD25 wrote:
epiclvlcommoner wrote:
Zwums wrote: Dragon Draught (can someone check if that's correct),.
Close. Dragon Lung
http://www.goblinscomic.com/03242010/
Thank you very much.
gamecreator wrote:Well, that property will last till first parry (except if it changes only into something better (which is also good alternative explanation to sword not changing from oblivion). Also I can't imagine any reason to copy Kin's leash.
I don't know, Kin did say something about how the sword has some ways of making sure it doesn't destroy itself, maybe that could extend to when its in combat. Though we'll never know for sure now, but hey, least we got Oblivious out of it.

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am

gamecreator wrote:
Zwums wrote:I want pre-oblivion Oblivious.... It can copy magical properties. Like the anymug.... Not that it'd probably do anything but... the anymug effect on a sword would be fun. Or those growing trees! Or Kin's leash. I'd drive a DM crazy, touching it to anything and everything.
Well, that property will last till first parry (except if it changes only into something better (which is also good alternative explanation to sword not changing from oblivion). Also I can't imagine any reason to copy Kin's leash.
Because it could be effective against magic. It might explode. But really, why not try it, just because you can?

What happens if you touch it to Psimax's arms? Or to Junior? ......Mr. Fingers? Do any of those not count as organic? What about the staple remover monsters?

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02072012/ The comic about the sword

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 am

I think Junior is not organic.

It just occured to me that "changes into better" explanation also seems to cover organic part. Flesh (or, for that matter, skin) sword does not sound like anything useful (except for being a whip, maybe).

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm

And what if the sword touched the god sword they're all inside? Would the sword explode, or just take on the god sword's destructive power?

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02012011/

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Rorrik wrote:And what if the sword touched the god sword they're all inside? Would the sword explode, or just take on the god sword's destructive power?

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02012011/
:shock: :shudder:

You are exactly the kind of person I LOVE to play D&D with and HATE DMing over.