Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Discuss the comic here!
Alarikun
Of Few Words

Re: Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Post by Alarikun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am

willpell wrote:Also, I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that her tail has Fluffles the Owlbear Ursustrix attached to it.
Err... pretty sure that's an Owlbear... but I have no clue what an "Ursustrix" is... googled it with no solid info...

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

That's the way to say "owlbear" and show off at the same time.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 am

Alarikun wrote:
willpell wrote:Also, I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that her tail has Fluffles the Owlbear Ursustrix attached to it.
Err... pretty sure that's an Owlbear... but I have no clue what an "Ursustrix" is... googled it with no solid info...
Ursus is the genus containing bears, and Strix is a genus of owls... stick em together you have something that doesn't infringe upon copyrighted material...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Ursus is the genus containing bears, and Strix is a genus of owls... stick em together you have something that doesn't infringe upon copyrighted material...
And something much more likely to have come from a bunch of Wizards with their nose in books. :lol:

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am

Isn't owlbear free to use?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am

gamecreator wrote:Isn't owlbear free to use?
I don't know, but with Fox going after anyone making red, orange and yellow knit caps, you can't be too careful these days...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 am

Owlbear is in the SRD, and free to use. There are some words in Goblins that are not free to use however, like Yuan-Ti.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

What I haven't figured out is, what kind of magic is it that the Kin with the many heads is using? Is she really morphing part of herself into those heads, or is that some kind of psi power, giving the opponent the impression?

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am

It looks like you missed altsplanations. Check out reality 3.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 am

Changes_everything wrote:What I haven't figured out is, what kind of magic is it that the Kin with the many heads is using? Is she really morphing part of herself into those heads, or is that some kind of psi power, giving the opponent the impression?
As the Altsplanation stated, "Dellyn Goblinslayer, who has an interest in torture and experimentation, has grafted various monster heads onto kin, turning her into a terrifying spectacle."
EDIT: :ninja: gamecreator :ninja:
Alarikun wrote:Owlbear is in the SRD, and free to use.
So is "rust monster".

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm

So that makes 2 people that didn't pay attention to Altspanations.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Trojan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Trojan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 pm

titles that I'd have gone for: Heads up! or maybe Mmmm, nom nom nom!

Man, Dellyn's perversities knew no bounds, I guess he's lucky that his Kin didn't keep his head after she broke free - looking at her she may have eaten it though. >:-P

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I think that the only titles I could have really come up with after seeing that page would have involved too many four letter works for this forum. I probably would have gone with something like "Gah" or something generic like that instead.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Weird, this wasn't updated for me all day yesterday :/
I sure hope Minmax is okay! He don't look too good :shock: also digging the ninja-monk :D
I am high in fructose.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Digging the ninja, too! Looks like a certain someone from Tekken. Also - when does the Barbarian Rage end? Cause I'm guessing it does not last forever. And what then?
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm

WastesTime wrote:Digging the ninja, too! Looks like a certain someone from Tekken. Also - when does the Barbarian Rage end? Cause I'm guessing it does not last forever. And what then?
"A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarianÔÇÖs hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the characterÔÇÖs (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, canÔÇÖt charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone elseÔÇÖs action."

So rage lasts at least 5 rounds plus whatever his base CON modifier is (likely at least +2... so 7 roundsish?).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

So he has what, 4 turns/pages to go? I generously think that's only going to get him half-way through this fight.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

MM's COULD be much higher than that... you know how that kid rolls... my example was of a generic barbarian.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Fen wrote:It took me two glances to catch, but that's some fancy sword handling by Minmax. He grabs it with his right hand, gets bitten by the head-lined goblins, drops it, snags it with his left hand, cuts off the arm of the multi-headed Kin, swivels to block head-line Altmax, then cuts through a head (still biting him despite the severed arm) on the backswing. I wonder if switching hands like that is a free action for him?
He traded his ability to infer things from context.

IIRC MM took a feat that lets him rage twice a day and he already did it once right before hitting the river of healing potions. Once it runs out Kin and Forgath better come back with some magic weapons to save his 3rd level butt or he's toast.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:46 pm

gamecreator wrote:That's the way to say "owlbear" and show off at the same time.
Not trying to show off, just wasn't sure if it was "okay" to say Owlbear, as it's one of the more iconic D&D monsters.

Whoever invented the C&D letter needs to be fed still-living to the creatures which may or may not be known as Owlbears, depending on whether we'd get sued if they were.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm

willpell wrote:
gamecreator wrote:That's the way to say "owlbear" and show off at the same time.
Not trying to show off, just wasn't sure if it was "okay" to say Owlbear, as it's one of the more iconic D&D monsters.

Whoever invented the C&D letter needs to be fed still-living to the creatures which may or may not be known as Owlbears, depending on whether we'd get sued if they were.

From d20SRD.org
Q: Why are some monsters missing from this site?
A: The following monsters are considered "Product Identity" by Wizards of the Coast and are therefore not part of the SRD:

beholder
gauth
carrion crawler
displacer beast
githyanki
githzerai
kuo-toa
mind flayer
slaad
umber hulk
yuan-ti
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 pm

SamWiser wrote:I like how Names is raging, even though he can't really do anything. He can bite, I guess like Thaco is, but that would mean that people would have to come to him. Also, how does he have that class ability? The GAP didn't choose classes until after the battle for the warcamp, and Minmax beheaded them during, in this reality. They would never have the reason/ability.
I don't think anybody answered this yet, but Complains actually chose a class during the battle for the warcamp. And right after that he fought Minmax while holding the Shield of Wonder.

Necrule
Remains Silent
UStream Username: necrule

Post by Necrule » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
SamWiser wrote:I like how Names is raging, even though he can't really do anything. He can bite, I guess like Thaco is, but that would mean that people would have to come to him. Also, how does he have that class ability? The GAP didn't choose classes until after the battle for the warcamp, and Minmax beheaded them during, in this reality. They would never have the reason/ability.
I don't think anybody answered this yet, but Complains actually chose a class during the battle for the warcamp. And right after that he fought Minmax while holding the Shield of Wonder.
Is that WOT? Because Complains didn't even think he'd be a barbarian until the party mocked his anger issues postbattle.

I think you might be confused with the sword's IME and/or Complains being quasi-ousted from the clan by wielding the items inside the poorly locked chest.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Necrule wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:
Is that WOT? Because Complains didn't even think he'd be a barbarian until the party mocked his anger issues postbattle.

I think you might be confused with the sword's IME and/or Complains being quasi-ousted from the clan by wielding the items inside the poorly locked chest.
Yup. http://www.goblinscomic.com/02202006/
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 am

spiderwrangler wrote:From d20SRD.org
I have seen bigger list here.