Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Discuss the comic here!
Zwums
Of Few Words

Re: Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Post by Zwums » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

There are so many questions raised about the psychological state of... whatever kin is now. That's pretty disturbing.

QuakeIV
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 pm

My reaction to facekin more or less.

Hyuuint
Remains Silent

Post by Hyuuint » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:41 pm

I erm....ow....are...is that face (the half-green-half-musculature) grafted directly onto FaceKin's chest? Gha....And is it just me, or is that NinjaMax a little greyer in the skin tone than our MM?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 pm

A very confusing comic, but amazing. I'm disappointed that the thread for it wasn't titled "Headline News".

I find the idea of a raging Complains-head to be intensely hilarious. Also, I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that her tail has Fluffles the Owlbear Ursustrix attached to it.

Huzzah for a closer look at ShadowMax! He's catching a blue-feathered arrow; do you suppose it's from Sapphire? I forget whether she used blue fletchings, and of course she's probably still fighting zombies, but it'd be nice if she and the rest of triplekin had escaped.

I love Minmax's OW-face in panel 2; one of the best expressions in the entire comic. Also, we see a Forgath-helmet bouncing through the background in the same panel; I wonder if it's from Reality 3? If so, we may be about to find out whether that wish continues to affect them when they're in a different universe. (I wonder, if nobody in their universe can kill someone with a decapitation, can *they* kill anyone with a decapitation when they're OOU, or would the ability to survive as a severed head transfer through their weapons to anyone they so sever?)

This comic confirms that the rim around the tower top only goes partway.

And the head which is biting Minmax's head (odd that Hydrakin would think to attack someone's head when doing so isn't fatal in her world) appears to have a bifurcated lower jaw which bites his neck from either side, akin to the ubervampires in Blade 2. This is amazing and I hope such creatures will appear in the comic again.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm

BeanDip wrote:If I recall right, Thunt said that is a Kin from a universe where Dellen GoblinSlayer was experimenting with head-body switching. Kin just got the worst of it.
EDIT EDIT: It appears that the Complains and Thaco heads are actually from the "Headlining Universe". They seem to be separate from Kin and on a rope.
I suspect that those two realities are one and the same.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:does anyone else find the first panel a little sudden? I kept expecting Forgath of the Axe to be in frame somewhere.
Yeah, I was a little nonplussed. I actually went back a page to make sure I hadn't skipped one. I suppose it's representative of the chaos of the battle. I wonder what happened to Forgath of the Axe. On another note, wow is the headlining reality gruesome.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm

willpell wrote:I'm disappointed that the thread for it wasn't titled "Headline News".
Oooh. That would have been an awesome title. Love it.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm

WearsHats wrote:I'm glad for the Altsplanations pages, so we know what the heck is going on here.
I agree. Glad for the Altsplanations. I wonder if this Kin is in the card game.
WearsHats wrote:But yikes. Our Minmax is taking a beating. Wonder why so many are ganging up on him at once when they have so many others to fight. (And just as much reason to be fighting each other.)
I think that everyone is fighting everyone. It's just that we're focusing on our MinMax.
WearsHats wrote:Also, permalink to this page:

http://www.goblinscomic.com/04092013/
Thanks for always supplying that. It's something I think should be near the top of every comic thread. Even in a secondary subject line if there were such a thing. It definitively ties the discussion to the relevant comic.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Jebus, this one looks like it was a pain to draw. I wonder how Minmax will be able to defeat Ninjamax, considering that ninjas are inherently awesome.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 pm

I love how the MinMax that happened to get the +1 Sword from the goblin camp DOESN'T have a scar in his face. Way to put emphasis on all those tiny details, THunt!

Also, the Prissian-Forgath's armor in Panel 2 isn't glowing anymore. Could that mean he's dead already? I think Ears' armor always glowed with his IME color. It just grew brighter/changed color when spells were cast on him...

NSFW:
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

@gathers ieeeeeeeuuuww

is the head on our right side on kin, on off those zombie orcs controled by the plant in the beginning of the comic ??
the one with half the face well I vaguely remember him some were in a scene at the big escape but can't seem to find him

no I confussed, this kin isn't really a looker
when did this kin escape ?, I can't picture goblin slayer bringing this kin to a bar and meeting minmax and forgath, who then kill him and set her free
Last edited by askstoomuch on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 am

WearsHats wrote:I'm glad for the Altsplanations pages, so we know what the heck is going on here.

But yikes. Our Minmax is taking a beating. Wonder why so many are ganging up on him at once when they have so many others to fight. (And just as much reason to be fighting each other.)

Also, permalink to this page:

Why do they have as much reason to fight each other as him? He just cost them all their chance (this time). Everyone else is fighting him due to the anger of losing, while they were fighting each other for a chance to win. The chance to win was taken away. That only leaves him.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:43 am

LordsBreed wrote:
WearsHats wrote:Also, permalink to this page:

Thanks for always supplying that. It's something I think should be near the top of every comic thread. Even in a secondary subject line if there were such a thing. It definitively ties the discussion to the relevant comic.
It's even in the forum rules for starting a new thread regarding the update, point 6:
Forum rules wrote:On new updates:
  1. Check before creating a new topic / thread to ensure there isn't already one there
  2. Do NOT create threads purporting to be about an update that has not taken place yet.
  3. Make sure to place the update date in the title, the month should be spelled out or abbreviated and the date should be numeric. (7 Feb 2012 or Feb. 7, 2012 are acceptable whereas 2/7/2012, 7/2/2013, or 2013/2/7 would not be. Dates in the format described above donÔÇÖt leave room for confusion). Please make sure those dates correspond to the Tuesday or Friday in which the comic is updated, or is supposed to update on. This is to eliminate confusion over which update is which.
  4. Please keep to the topic as much as possible.
  5. Please don't put spoilers in the title. The mods will change the title if they feel it is too spoilery, which is why most of threads have a vague title for the updates.
  6. Make sure to include a permanent link to the comic in the first line of your post.
It's not the jobs of our great moderators to edit it in, it's the task of the OP.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 am

I find the action too charged, making it barely readable.
Also the story is not evolving much fast (especially if you add the "altxplanations") ; it's been a while that we've understood that Minimax have to struggle with a lot of enemies, and the dialogs are almost absent. I'm thinking it would be the good time for thunt to switch back to an other part of story, leaving temporarily the drama with minimax.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:02 am

extrabigmehdi wrote:I find the action too charged, making it barely readable.
Also the story is not evolving much fast (especially if you add the "altxplanations") ; it's been a while that we've understood that Minimax have to struggle with a lot of enemies, and the dialogs are almost absent. I'm thinking it would be the good time for thunt to switch back to an other part of story, leaving temporarily the drama with minimax.
I don't agree that it's unreadable, but it is full of action. It's why I keep going back to this series of updates to ensure I'm missing the least possible.

As for the pacing, I suspect the Altsplanations will be at the end of the book, so that will not be an issue once the "dead tree edition" it out for this battle.

In fact, at that point I'll be turning the pages so quickly that it'll seem like it takes no time at all.

If you want to hear about the woes of combat scenes, read the author's comment here on a simple Charmeleon vs Onix battle.

As for switching... Well... Let's put it this way: Dies Horribly's group lost Klik at least several minutes after Chief died, so we can't go back to them. We also can't go back to the Goblin Adventuring Party because of the 99.9% likelyhood that it is Forgath and MinMax who cut them off at the bridge.

I'd say "sit back and enjoy the art," personally, but I know some people like different things from their comics than I do.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 am

WhispersToSquirrels wrote:
BeanDip wrote:If I recall right, Thunt said that is a Kin from a universe where Dellen GoblinSlayer was experimenting with head-body switching. Kin just got the worst of it.
EDIT EDIT: It appears that the Complains and Thaco heads are actually from the "Headlining Universe". They seem to be separate from Kin and on a rope.
I suspect that those two realities are one and the same.
What do you mean by suspect?

Also, I half-called it: FaceKin wear a Goblin as a bra, but it's not Big Ears. As for why Minimax & Forgath wouldn't kill her on sight, I expect they're not as horrified as we are.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 am

found the unidentified heads guys

http://www.goblinscomic.com/01252009/

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 am

askstoomuch wrote:found the unidentified heads guys

http://www.goblinscomic.com/01252009/
Someone else found that earlier as well, but congratulations on the patience it must have taken to track that down! ;)

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 am

ow there goes my little ego boost :p

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 am

There there Ask.... *pads him on the head* You did good, yes you did, yes you did... who's a good boy... who's god boy..... you are.. you are yes you are.....

*Hope my doggy skills will cheer you up ;)

Oh a side note... had not seen that myself so.. thanks Ask.... :)

I find this comic realy nice... but also a bit confusing... for instance... the head biting MM, with its jaws all warked around his neck.... is it trying to graft itself unto him?
-Best regards LAYF

Fen
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Fen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am

Rorrik wrote:What I want to know is where the Forgath helmet bouncing by in the background came from.
I'm assuming it's the Forgath with the head-lining group:

http://www.goblinscomic.com/03262013/

All the other Forgaths I could see in previous panels only had one horn (other than the decapitated Forgath, but his horns were red).

It took me two glances to catch, but that's some fancy sword handling by Minmax. He grabs it with his right hand, gets bitten by the head-lined goblins, drops it, snags it with his left hand, cuts off the arm of the multi-headed Kin, swivels to block head-line Altmax, then cuts through a head (still biting him despite the severed arm) on the backswing. I wonder if switching hands like that is a free action for him?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 am

willpell wrote:A very confusing comic, but amazing. I'm disappointed that the thread for it wasn't titled "Headline News".
Heh... I was thinking'Heads will roll'...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 am

Someone asked the question about why all the realities are ganging up on our Minmax and that got me thinking a bit on the subject. If I were an alt and I reached the top, the first thing I'd see is our Minmax so he'd be a likely target. Also, we know that there are other battles going on (see GSKin vs clickMinmax comic). The more people that go up there, the more chaos will ensue, but the first few moments, our Minmax is posing the perfect target for rest of the alts.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 am

WearsHats wrote:
SamWiser wrote:
WearsHats wrote:Probably not. He's likely Level 1. But that still allows for rage. (Also, if heads in that reality live forever, they will eventually level up...)
Really? Is there a time xp thing, or just a case of "he lives forever, he has to get xp sometime"?
The latter.

Although in the thuntverse you get a Wisdom bonus for every year you live.

But what I meant was that he'll get XP here and there for stuff (even if it's just roleplaying XP from time to time). Given an infinite lifespan, it'll add up.
Doesn't say anything about infinite lifespans in the Altsplainations page...just that Decapitation won't kill you. Doesn't say anything about aging, starvation, drowning, etc...(how do the heads get Oxygen? Food? Is there some magical link between your head and your (presumably lying around somewhere, or stumbling around blind) body that lets you breathe and eat to keep you alive? Who knows, a wish did it...)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

I dread to think how much time does Thunt spend on these pages
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"