Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Discuss the comic here!
Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Post by Insane Kitty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:09 pm

What is that thing? is it from the shield of wonder?

It looks like that Kin has 4 faces, and a face she is holding in her right hand. (not including the heads on the chains biting him)
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Re: Apr - 9 - 2013 - How many faces is that?

Post by BeanDip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm

If I recall right, Thunt said that is a Kin from a universe where Dellen GoblinSlayer was experimenting with head-body switching. Kin just got the worst of it.

I recognize Scrole, Complains, Thaco, Kin (obviously) and and two ogres (maybe ogres?) from the Battle of BrassMoon. I don't recognize the head biting MinMax though, anyone else?

EDIT: Is that green head Chief?! Oh my. :shock:

EDIT EDIT: It appears that the Complains and Thaco heads are actually from the "Headlining Universe". They seem to be separate from Kin and on a rope.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm glad for the Altsplanations pages, so we know what the heck is going on here.

But yikes. Our Minmax is taking a beating. Wonder why so many are ganging up on him at once when they have so many others to fight. (And just as much reason to be fighting each other.)

Also, permalink to this page:

http://www.goblinscomic.com/04092013/
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm

BeanDip wrote:If I recall right, Thunt said that is a Kin from a universe where Dellen GoblinSlayer was experimenting with head-body switching. Kin just got the worst of it.

I recognize Scrole, Complains, Thaco, Kin (obviously) and and two ogres (maybe ogres?) from the Battle of BrassMoon. I don't recognize the head biting MinMax though, anyone else?

EDIT EDIT: It appears that the Complains and Thaco heads are actually from the "Headlining Universe". They seem to be separate from Kin and on a rope.
Also Fluffles the Owlbear's head further down Kin's tail.

I don't think the green head is Chief, it seems strange that Dellyn would have had access to it. I think it's the goblin on the left in the first panel here, where both orcs can also be seen.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Wow... Poor, poor permanently scarred MinMax. :(

And I repeat my comment from the chat: I certainly hope Kin can't currently "see" MM. :'(

Now, this page is insanely detailed, and well worth the wait, but I just have to ask: does anyone else find the first panel a little sudden? I kept expecting Forgath of the Axe to be in frame somewhere.

Also stranger: no screaming.

And the altNames' IME doesn't actually match MM's! I mean, they're both purple, but nowhere near the same shade.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Yeah, I was wondering what happened with Forgath. But I guess Minmax just got pulled off him in the chaos. (Which seems to maybe be what's happening in the first panel.)

Looks like there's a lot of battle to cover here, so we may not see every moment. Just sort of a sampling. Which is unusual for Goblins, but does make sense here.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm

notimportant wrote: I don't think the green head is Chief, it seems strange that Dellyn would have had access to it. I think it's the goblin on the left in the first panel here, where both orcs can also be seen.
Yes, the shade is a bit dark. I think that that's Tempts cameoing. Obviously we weren't as generous in that one. Or that's just the light, and the GAP got caught in Brassmoon, and Dellyn decided to punish the leader with 'special treatment'.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

notimportant wrote:
BeanDip wrote:If I recall right, Thunt said that is a Kin from a universe where Dellen GoblinSlayer was experimenting with head-body switching. Kin just got the worst of it.

Also Fluffles the Owlbear's head further down Kin's tail.

I don't think the green head is Chief, it seems strange that Dellyn would have had access to it. I think it's the goblin on the left in the first panel here, where both orcs can also be seen.
Oh hey, you seem to be right. Good catch! At first I thought it was Fumbles and Dellen WOULD have had access to Fumble's head but Fumbles is a lighter shade of green. As for that Goblin though, the shade matches and the wound matches so yes it is more than likely that particular un-named goblin.

Also, Headline!Max seems to have lost his "Climbs Trees" head somewhere in the MoM.

Question: At least this means that the GAP seems to have managed to get out of BrassMoon alive for what we know of that universe (which is admittedly very little). We've seen several universes where the GAP died at the Warcamp in various circumstances but are there any known universes where the GAP die in BrassMoon? I can't recall one.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Earthen
Pipes Up Sometimes
UStream Username: Earthen_

Post by Earthen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 pm

It looks like a little of Forgath of the Axe's armor is visible under Minmax in Panel 2.

MapsGroxily
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MapsGroxily » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm

my god, Multikin shows her very ugly mug. And I thought our Goblinslayer was a sick man...
How would that kind of existance even work? Should she be a 'hive mind' of all the brains, would they still function apart from her (and thus shout war cries and advice, etc.) or is MultiKin just insane?

Mummax is a cleric I think; he caught an arrow.

I like how Minmax somehow doesn't cut her collar's rope. That would has probably been bad. Our Minmax can take some serious punishment, but I don't think he can last these constant attacks forever. But I don't think he'll die either; the plot with Psymax isn't resolved.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 pm

WearsHats wrote:I'm glad for the Altsplanations pages, so we know what the heck is going on here.

But yikes. Our Minmax is taking a beating. Wonder why so many are ganging up on him at once when they have so many others to fight. (And just as much reason to be fighting each other.)

Also, permalink to this page:

http://www.goblinscomic.com/04092013/
I wouldn't say so many are ganging up. Multi-head Kin and Head-lining Minmax are from the same reality and both went after our Minmax at once.

What I want to know is where the Forgath helmet bouncing by in the background came from.

Wouldn't a monk catch arrows?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I like how Names is raging, even though he can't really do anything. He can bite, I guess like Thaco is, but that would mean that people would have to come to him. Also, how does he have that class ability? The GAP didn't choose classes until after the battle for the warcamp, and Minmax beheaded them during, in this reality. They would never have the reason/ability.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Maybe he took it into his head to take up a class while Minmax was carrying him around.

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Fair enough. That wouldn't leave him with much xp though, unless he gets to share Minmax's.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

stormboy
Remains Silent

Post by stormboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

It looks like the Head-lining Minmax tossed the Thaco and Complains heads to stop "our" Minmax from chopping up the altKin. I guess they didn't plan on Oblivious!

Either way, our Minmax is probably going to need some other alt help to make it out of this.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Probably not. He's likely Level 1. But that still allows for rage. (Also, if heads in that reality live forever, they will eventually level up...)

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Rorrik wrote: What I want to know is where the Forgath helmet bouncing by in the background came from.

Wouldn't a monk catch arrows?
The only Forg with two horns near the top I've seen is the one wearing a backpack next to Mummymax here... http://www.goblinscomic.com/03172013/

Yes, monks get Deflect Arrows at 2nd level... I suppose a cleric could pick it up, but most wouldn't be working on the same prereqs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm

WearsHats wrote:Probably not. He's likely Level 1. But that still allows for rage. (Also, if heads in that reality live forever, they will eventually level up...)
Really? Is there a time xp thing, or just a case of "he lives forever, he has to get xp sometime"?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:58 pm

SamWiser wrote:
WearsHats wrote:Probably not. He's likely Level 1. But that still allows for rage. (Also, if heads in that reality live forever, they will eventually level up...)
Really? Is there a time xp thing, or just a case of "he lives forever, he has to get xp sometime"?
The latter.

Although in the thuntverse you get a Wisdom bonus for every year you live.

But what I meant was that he'll get XP here and there for stuff (even if it's just roleplaying XP from time to time). Given an infinite lifespan, it'll add up.

► Show Spoiler

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm

WearsHats wrote:Wonder why so many are ganging up on him at once when they have so many others to fight. (And just as much reason to be fighting each other.)
He came from a hole in the cealing rather than up the pillar like everyone else so that makes him stand out. It's a mob psychology thing.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:04 pm

The latter.

Although in the thuntverse you get a Wisdom bonus for every year you live.

But what I meant was that he'll get XP here and there for stuff (even if it's just roleplaying XP from time to time). Given an infinite lifespan, it'll add up.[/quote]

Yeah, given a couple 1000 years and he'll be up to level 3! Probably the highest wisdom score of any barbarian alive by that point though. Except for the ones beheaded before him I suppose.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:21 pm

I don't think they get XP each year. Probably every X years. I can't remember Biscuit's explanation, though.

And the chaos of battle would certainly explain the seemingly sudden shift. I'm just wondering where the Axe went, since it was in MinMax's hand. :shrug:

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Yuck. I don't like the headmunching head.

And while I think yuck, I can live without speech ballons coveing art if all they are going to do is show yelling. The mouths already show us yelling, and, more importantly, silence can be one of the effects of adrenaline fuled combat, like time dialation and tunnle vision. So, without the speech baloons we could say THunt is actualy being MORE realistic... in this multiple reality bash.

OTOH, I think there is a bit too much action between the 2nd to last and 3rd to last panel. I have to add in my mind that MM is twisting while kind of almost prone. In the last few panels, he twists 180 degrees, from his back to upright, chopping off an arm (with little swing) and blocking a blade. Talk about doing your yoga, situps, crunches, etc. Seems... superhuman to me. Of course str 22 (before rage) IS superhuman, so okay. Just don't expect an actor to redo the scene; I think we are in CGI territory.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

bobagorof
Remains Silent

Post by bobagorof » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm just a bit slow, and people have probably already thought of this, but I was just thinking about some permutations that may be possible.

A lot of people have speculated about who yells out 'Hey Names, remember me?' at the end of the last time we saw the GAP. Lots of speculation in IME's and whatnot to assume that it's MinMax. But the revelation of the Headlining reality opens up a whole lot of other options. If a reality can take a prize out of the Maze of Many (such as the Jade Teapot), by the same logic it may be able to take other items out as well (MinMax's colour-changing armour), and perhaps even items from another reality. (I'm sure people have speculated this many times too).
If it IS possible to take out something from another reality, then it would also be possible to take out the heads-on-a-string. And, as we've seen, those heads retain their IME (as the head isn't dead).

So, IF that were possible, it could be that the person yelling out at Names is actually one of the goblins on a string, or any other disembodied head from that world that is in the maze.

Of course, that doesn't explain why they would specifically call out for Names, rather than the rest of the group. And there's some pretty big IFs in there. And I'm sure Thunt has something infinitely more impressive in mind.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I think we have been in CGI territory for quite a while now.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett