Feb 22, 2013 - That's mine!

Discuss the comic here!
mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm

I've copied the text of the thread from the Temp Site here for convenience' sake; I know it's not pretty, but hey. It's here. I'm editing out the cruft right now, so it'll only be content. Peace!

by zennyrpg ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 am

Poor minmax just wants some treasure...

zennyrpg

Re: Feb 22, 2013 - That's mine!

by SamWiser ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:33 am

I love Minmax. He's awesome. A little greedy, but I'll forgive him for that. Still, strange that he didn't want to use oblivious on the wall.

Thanks to BurningBees for the avatar

SamWiser

by Mereneth ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:37 am

I'm inclined to think the key is just invisible and sitting in the lock given the shadow.

Mereneth

by TripsTraps ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 am

Mereneth wrote:I'm inclined to think the key is just invisible and sitting in the lock given the shadow.

Decent theory... Perhaps Minmax will solve it if he runs into the glass hard enough. Maybe it'll jangle and fall out.

TripsTraps

by lingrem ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 am

SamWiser wrote:I love Minmax. He's awesome. A little greedy, but I'll forgive him for that. Still, strange that he didn't want to use oblivious on the wall.

Well... if he used it... he wouldn't be oblivious to it.

lingrem

by someone ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 am

That is extra hilarious for me because once in a game of d&d we had a barbarian who did the exact same thing: while the rest of the group discussed what to do, she announced suddenly 'i try to slam the door with my Berserker rage'. This ended with her rolling a 1 thus dislodging her shoulder.
Let us hope minmax attempt does not end like this.

someone

by Pitoran ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 am

Shouldn't the oblivion sword be able to cut through it?

Pitoran

by Boneguard ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 am

The Adventurer motto: "Leave no Loot behind!"

Boneguard

by (^_^) ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 am

Boneguard wrote:The Adventurer motto: "Leave no Loot behind!"

Duh, whole purpose of loot is to be looted.
Altough it gets little problematic if one considers brooms, buckets, bones and tableware a decent loot.

(^_^)

by binarytears ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am

SamWiser wrote:I love Minmax. He's awesome. A little greedy, but I'll forgive him for that. Still, strange that he didn't want to use oblivious on the wall.

Strange? No, it's perfectly in character. He's too thick to think of that immediately.

Maybe Oblivious will occur to him, once he wakes up from his oblivious concussion.

Hey, you don't suppose they've all forgotten about Oblivious? It wasn't connected in any way with MinMax's back pack, so I can't see why they would have.

It just occurred to me, that maybe it's Thunt's fault the BF forum database vanished. Putting a story on the server, about holes that make things vanish along with all record or memory of them... was really tempting the Fates. Ironic hard disk crash is ironic.

Forum? What forum?

binarytears

by Never Finishes Anyth ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 am
They can't actually 'backtrack' very far without risking the oblivion hole again, and whatever is left of the zombie us'es war with the three kins, and all the dangers they've already escaped. It's not as if they rendered the maze safe behind them as they went along.

What they can do is carefully explore the track they're now in, backwards. And be prepared to wrest the key from anyone they encounter.

-Never Finis

Never Finishes Anyth

by BurningBees ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

I like how they didn't seem to care when he ran into the wall.

Cut and Paste has been forcibly removed from the domain of the Threads of Reality and roams around aimlessly. He is annoyed by what has happened to him and he is on a quest to regain what is rightfully his, but perhaps at a different reality.

BurningBees

by Miryafa ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 am

Mereneth wrote:I'm inclined to think the key is just invisible and sitting in the lock given the shadow.

As am I. I wonder if they'll have a tempts-fate-style go at the door where they figure out where the key is and unlock it.

(^_^) wrote:Altough it gets little problematic if one considers brooms, buckets, bones and tableware a decent loot.

Not at all, pretty much all my low-level characters have that mindset. It's what teamwork (and large pockets/bags) exists for :D

binarytears wrote:It just occurred to me, that maybe it's Thunt's fault the BF forum database vanished. Putting a story on the server, about holes that make things vanish along with all record or memory of them... was really tempting the Fates. Ironic hard disk crash is ironic.

Forum? What forum?

Hah!

Never Finishes Anyth wrote:What they can do is carefully explore the track they're now in, backwards. And be prepared to wrest the key from anyone they encounter.

I think that's their plan, yes.

Also, @mnem: I love your new avatar. Very funny.

Wow, that was a lot of quotes for one post.

Miryafa

by ForgetsHisUid ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 am

What is it with Thunt and fingers? His heroes have too few, and his monsters have WAAY too many! Rest assured, that statue will come alive and attack FMK, somehow.

Cutting their way in is their best option, anyway. Remember, the secret to defeating PsyMax (and the Maze, for that matter) is to do the unexpected. Clearly, both the blue and red rings should be avoided entirely. They should cut their way in, grab the teapot and whatever other loot interests them, and find a different way out. This room screams 'TRAP' like Admiral Ackbar!

ForgetsHisUid

by Fen ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 am

I think we can be sure he won't use Oblivious on the wall - the next time he reaches for it, we can see the red helmet party through the hole. I would assume then that either A) they'll be arriving shortly or B) they're going to backtrack quickly and immediately run into them

Fen

by Twocoo ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am
I can't imagine that they're going to get through this without meeting Psimax again.

Twocoo

by Insane Kitty ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I wonder if MM's sword would fit in the lock and open it.

Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Insane Kitty

by bjtheduck ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I didn't realize Minmax's player was Randy from "A Christmas Story."

"A zeppelin? That's mine!"

bjtheduck

by T-RexWithTetanus ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:48 pm

ForgetsHisUid wrote:What is it with Thunt and fingers? His heroes have too few, and his monsters have WAAY too many! Rest assured, that statue will come alive and attack FMK, somehow.

Well, he ceartainly draws them slightly bigger, but at least Forgath and MinMax have 10.

This scene was also particularly funny for me, because when me and my friends were playing tag when I was a little kid, I thought it'd be totally badass to run and jump through the sliding glass door. Pretty much the same thing, it doesn't help that MinMax is all but an overgrown child.
I don't know if Oblivious would be able to cut through it. Sure, it's made of oblivion and can't be affected and has all those awesome perks, but why can it cut through anything that a normal sword couldn't? I'd just expect it to react with the wall like any weapon. If it cut through anything effortlessly, he could have just done a Link-inspired spin-attack over and over and cutted through the zombie horde like butter.
I am high in maltodextrin.

T-RexWithTetanus

by SamWiser ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Fen wrote:I think we can be sure he won't use Oblivious on the wall - the next time he reaches for it, we can see the red helmet party through the hole. I would assume then that either A) they'll be arriving shortly or B) they're going to backtrack quickly and immediately run into them

I just want to say, I love your avatar. I's great.

SamWiser

by RocketScientist ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Smashing it with the sword of cutting all the things seems like a good plan to me.

RocketScientist

by Araxis ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm

GAH! Just hit it with Oblivious!

Araxis

by Lingo ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

I thought Word of God was that the Oblivious sword has ordinary cutting ability. After all, if it could cut through anything, Kin would have told MM to use it by now. She's sharp (pun intended), she wouldn't forget such a thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Randy from "A Christmas Story." I think that's an intentional reference.

How could an invisible key cast a shadow? Putting aside magic, it's physically illogical.

Lingo

by SamWiser ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Oblivious has normal cutting ability, but they're standing in front of a glass wall. A sword should cut through it easily.

SamWiser

by SteveDJ ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Lingo wrote:How could an invisible key cast a shadow? Putting aside magic, it's physically illogical.

Because maybe it isn't invisible-- it is just made of glass. Glass, at the correct angle with light, will cast a shadow.

SteveDJ

by Poncheis ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:06 pm

I was sure that minmax was going to run for the key and would be back with it on the last panel :)

buy anyway, i'm waiting kin go think about oblivious, or maybe for the group with the key to approach.

Poncheis

by Marnath ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 pm

T-RexWithTetanus wrote:

ForgetsHisUid wrote:What is it with Thunt and fingers? His heroes have too few, and his monsters have WAAY too many! Rest assured, that statue will come alive and attack FMK, somehow.

Well, he ceartainly draws them slightly bigger, but at least Forgath and MinMax have 10.

Forgath only has 8 fingers, not 10.

I.M.E. explained. http://www.goblinscomic.com/08042006/

Marnath

by Mereneth ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm

SamWiser wrote:Oblivious has normal cutting ability, but they're standing in front of a glass wall. A sword should cut through it easily.

I dunno. Minmax's face didn't fair so well.

Mereneth

by lingrem ┬╗ Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm

MinMax's "and this is mine, and that is mine, and this is mine!" reminded me VERY strong of Cat from Red Dwarf! I wonder if that was intentional? haha. I was reading it in Cat's voice.

lingrem

by jbrecken ┬╗ Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:16 am

I was hearing MinMax as closer to one of the seagulls in Finding Nemo, but perhaps not as smart.

I am disappointed that he didn't read the signs out loud, turning his armor blue then red.

jbrecken

by RocketScientist ┬╗ Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:57 pm

lingrem wrote:MinMax's "and this is mine, and that is mine, and this is mine!" reminded me VERY strong of Cat from Red Dwarf! I wonder if that was intentional? haha. I was reading it in Cat's voice.

:lol: I think I would pay to see Minmax do a Cat impersonation.

RocketScientist

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm

I disagree!
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:13 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
lingrem wrote:MinMax's "and this is mine, and that is mine, and this is mine!" reminded me VERY strong of Cat from Red Dwarf! I wonder if that was intentional? haha. I was reading it in Cat's voice.

:lol: I think I would pay to see Minmax do a Cat impersonation.
I'll add 5$ to the kitty for that... HEY THUNT! How much would this cost us?
Liesmith wrote:I disagree!
Of course you do. We would expect nothing less!

mnem
And now I'm hearing MinMax in Adam West's voice...

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:17 pm

One thing to remember is glass doesn't cut easy, it might shatter, but if it is thick enough, the sword might only scratch it. (you are assuming that it is glass, and not transparent aluminum)
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:17 pm

I keep thinking the "red hats" that we're going to see thanks to glimpsing them through the Oblivious hole are something from pop culture I'm not familiar with. Can anyone confirm this for me or is it just "red helmet reality" instead?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Pablo
Mutters to Themself

Post by Pablo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I keep thinking the "red hats" that we're going to see thanks to glimpsing them through the Oblivious hole are something from pop culture I'm not familiar with. Can anyone confirm this for me or is it just "red helmet reality" instead?
Red hats in pop culture?

Well, if you go back far enough, there is always "Devo"... :)

epiclvlcommoner
Remains Silent

Post by epiclvlcommoner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 am

Now that I think about it, this is their first treasure room isn't it?

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:55 am

Does anyone remember if PsiMax predicted their death in here? Or was it the tower room?

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 am

Starfire wrote:Does anyone remember if PsiMax predicted their death in here? Or was it the tower room?
Tower Room for sure, panel 8
http://www.goblinscomic.com/01062012/

Your avatar, it is pretty
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

fouljack
Remains Silent

Post by fouljack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 am

Maybe if they knock on the door the creature inside will gently open the door for them. if you look in the previous panel its left "hand" is ready to open the door (Or to cach who is entering)

as always "sorry for my engrish"

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 am

SccrD25 wrote:
Starfire wrote:Does anyone remember if PsiMax predicted their death in here? Or was it the tower room?

Did they beat that prediction when Kin saved Minmax from the demon or when they bypassed the whole dungeon by climbing past the oblivion hole?

Also, that shadow is definitely not an art fragment. There is a key in the door, no doubt whatsoever on my part.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am

I'm betting there's a catch to the treasure...like maybe each party member can only pick one item...or the whole party can only pick one item.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Rorrik wrote:
SccrD25 wrote:

Did they beat that prediction when Kin saved Minmax from the demon or when they bypassed the whole dungeon by climbing past the oblivion hole?

Also, that shadow is definitely not an art fragment. There is a key in the door, no doubt whatsoever on my part.
Not sure but I would guess that using the holes is what stopped that from happening. In theory they would have run into GuessMax and Not-Walter regardless. (devils advocate: but maybe Psymax holding them up caused them to be the ones to meet up against the demon, maybe without his interference the 3 Kins would actually meet him first). regardless, the holes are the first thing that's actually different. Kin explains it better than I. http://www.goblinscomic.com/12212012/

Of course do we even know what the tower room was?

Seconded on Invisi-key.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

I have a theory about the Tower Room. Maybe in all of the previous attempts they never opened the chest. Or even if they opened the chest, they had a normal, changing sword, in which case Grinnorarcen mopped the floor with Minmax and co. Now, with the Oblivious in hand (which wasn't present in their past attempts because of the lack of oblivion holes) they managed to survive that encounter and the later ones. Thus, Psymax f*cked his calculations himself, not accounting for the sword's power and Minmax's stupidity :P
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

The very existence of the oblivion holes is throwing off Psymax's variables...people have fallen in, changing any number of things on this run, so any calculations he makes now will be off. If he wants his variables back to a stable condition, he'll have to get rid of the holes and then force a restart.

The best thing FMK could do is somehow trick Psymax into winning, removing him from the next run.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Post by Starfire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I thought the oblivian holes are tools he uses to create oblivion iteself. In other words, those are his erasers. I followed Kin's logic that if the party used one, and lived though it, they'd be in PsiMax's blind spot, but that only applies to our MFK group. They are supposed to happen everywhere else. Have I got that wrong?

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Hey, why does everybody start calling Psimax Psymax? He's not psychotic (oh well, maybe he is, but anyway), he's a Psion! Using psi and stuff.
Just a side note...

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Starfire wrote:I thought the oblivian holes are tools he uses to create oblivion iteself. In other words, those are his erasers. I followed Kin's logic that if the party used one, and lived though it, they'd be in PsiMax's blind spot, but that only applies to our MFK group. They are supposed to happen everywhere else. Have I got that wrong?
The O holes are the result of Psymax almost unleashing oblivion, but the variable of MinMax/Kin/Love threw off his calculations. http://www.goblinscomic.com/12132011/

So this run is the first time the holes have appeared.
Changes_everything wrote:Hey, why does everybody start calling Psimax Psymax? He's not psychotic (oh well, maybe he is, but anyway), he's a Psion! Using psi and stuff.
Just a side note...
*Facepalm* I am not a clever man
► Show Spoiler

wrecan
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by wrecan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

WastesTime wrote:I have a theory about the Tower Room. Maybe in all of the previous attempts they never opened the chest. Or even if they opened the chest, they had a normal, changing sword, in which case Grinnorarcen mopped the floor with Minmax and co. Now, with the Oblivious in hand (which wasn't present in their past attempts because of the lack of oblivion holes) they managed to survive that encounter and the later ones. Thus, Psymax f*cked his calculations himself, not accounting for the sword's power and Minmax's stupidity :P
First of all, Forgath believes that Grinnoceren and NameMax (the dude who guessed Grinnoceren's name), is the Reality 38 who is about to enter the chamber where they killed Scoprikin. Moreover, it appears that the only place for them to go (kin refer to it as the "next door") after getting pre-Oblivion is the room with the forest (where they encounter Reality 38). So it seems the PsiMax was indicating that if they waited for Reality 38 in their current chamber, Reality 38 would kill them, but encountering them in the forest room, they would escape.

One question is whether Grinnocaren is yanked back into the Maze of Many, having been banished. I'm guessing not. When Kin releases him, he is gone. The key is that Kin could only ask him his name because MinMax first held Grinnocaren at bay with Oblivious. And Oblivious only exists because of the oblivion holes. So my guess is that in the prior incarnations, MinMax wriggles free of his neck shackle attached to the wall, grabs his belt buckle, and RingMax and Ringath's treasure and then frees Kin and Forgath. They enter the treasure room, get Pre-oblivion and pink armor, and then meet Grinnocaren and NameMax in the forest room. MinMax gets horribly wounded, but when the fire makes the trees overgrow, MinMax barbarians out grabs Kin and jumps off the cliff into the healing river. Forgath follows.

Rather than chase them down, NameMax and Grinnoceren continue onward into a different area of the Maze of Many. Nobody guesses Grinnoceren's name and Grinnoceren never escapes the Maze of Many, so each iteration, Grinnoceren, like everyone else, has to repeat the Maze.

Meanwhile, FMK heals up in the river. Our FMK group then goes from the river to fighting the three Kins and zombies. I would guess they somehow throw the three Kins into the zombie horde and make their escape to the room where the three Kins came from: the Tower Room (which, to be fair, looks really nasty). And there they all die, causing them to restart whent he Maze refreshes.

But in our reality, FMK don't end up in the tower room. They use an Oblivion Hole to get to the end of the Maze directly. So, in the end, it does not look like Oblivious has really affected the outcome of the race. The Oblivion Holes, however, have.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Changes_everything wrote:Hey, why does everybody start calling Psimax Psymax? He's not psychotic (oh well, maybe he is, but anyway), he's a Psion! Using psi and stuff.
Just a side note...
Because he's one psycho psychic psyduck.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm wondering if that shadow where you'd think is a key... it's not a shadow, but a lever or a pedal you step on to open the door.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

tubbytango
Remains Silent
UStream Username: tubbytango

Post by tubbytango » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm

If nothing else, MinMax is proving how...HEADstrong he is. *ba dum tiss*

Puncounter: 1
Pathfinder Cleric 5/Albino Servant of Pelor, Moor Stormhammer
3.5 Fighter 3/Barbarian 1 Dwarf Rabblerouser, Wagga'Bagga McTavish

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:51 pm

My favorite part is their non-reaction to him doing a full on demonstration of an elastic collision.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Level_Head
Remains Silent

Post by Level_Head » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 am

Stegosauruses can't fight or pounce
But their brains might beat MinMax's ounce
Still he's not really dumb
And as nice as they come
Plus he shows here he's still on the bounce!
===|==============/ Level Head

quindraco
Remains Silent
UStream Username: quindraco

Post by quindraco » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 am

Posting here cos Thunt hasn't got a form for directly reporting typos, but I'm pretty sure he reads all these threads: that should be looks, not look's, in panel 4.