April 2, 2013: Altsplatnations 4!

Discuss the comic here!
stevedj
Voices Opinions

Re: April 2, 2013: Altsplatnations 4!

Post by stevedj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 am

Speaking of cats:

Surely you've heard of Simon's Cat? (this is one of my favorites, but he has done many of these).

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

Vreejack wrote:Technically it is binary ASCII (American Standard Code...), which is odd if you think about it too much. He could have also used Baudot code, which uses only five bits per character. As for the ASCII, I see "49 20 41 4D 20 47 52 45 41 54," which does translate as "I AM GREAT" in all caps. I wonder what he makes of the codes for miniscule letters.
I fully agree.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am

stevedj wrote:Speaking of cats:

Surely you've heard of Simon's Cat? (this is one of my favorites, but he has done many of these).
Yes, yes I have, Best animated felines ever!

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Regarding the cats, there's something rather interesting. IRL, there are parasitic protozoan which infect rats and force them to seek out cats, getting them eaten and getting the cats insides infected. The cat isn't directly affected, but the cats stomach then becomes a breeding ground for more of the parasite, and when other animals (Even humans, but without much of a effect....yet) are exposed to the cats feces, they are infected with those parasites. Think about that. A parasite which is spread by cats and can cause rats to commit suicide, and can infect humans rather easily through mere ownership of a cat. :shock: I'm surprised that reality 131 isn't a zombie reality, what with the numerous cats that exist there... :paranoia:

Mother nature...can be pretty creepy....

But... :shrug: its probably not relevant.

Edit: Ok, humans don't have any noticeable ill-effects and can fight off the parasite rather well, but it's still a good source of paranoia...
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Well.. maybee the amount of cats killed all the rats befoer they could spread said parasite effectively...
-Best regards LAYF

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Apparently the world was created, and within a short time the sword of a god's emissary was plunged into it, creating the portal that later contained the Maze. Thus, it exists in every possible world. From the outside, you go in, some time passes, and you come out victorious. From your viewpoint, you run the Maze one time and win, because you forget and do-over each time you lose. So every party will find whatever they expect as a prize, and may be able to loot prizes from other worlds. (If MinMax can hang onto Oblivious, he really has become "the unstoppable warrior" he styled himself at first.) Even the dumbest parties, like 51 and the zombies, will win eventually, shambling alone through a vacant maze after everyone else has won and escaped, and there will be a Jade Teapot every time. Your world put one in, your world can take one out. Maybe even two? That would be a game-changer. (The obvious strategy is to convoy the most dangerous parties to the win, with everyone else helping them in order to get rid of them.)

I'm guessing that one of Kin's ancestors ran the Maze in order to leave the Teapot in the treasure room, and probably found himself surrounded by copies of himself with the same idea; they may have even contended instead of taking turns. How did it get built? Some wizard decided to enter it and build something, and found thousands of himself with the same idea. They probably had a lot of fun doing it, since they weren't rivals and all wanted the same thing. But how did they make the counters? That wrecks my theory because it seems weakly godlike, as antipope says, and beyond the powers of a wizard. Ah, mystery, what would life be without it?

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm

raabr, that's Toxoplasmosis, and there's been some fascinating research from Europe. A researcher who was always casual and unkempt and a jaywalker found he was carrying toxoplasmosis, and cured it with antibiotics, and found that he had begun combing his hair, bathing more regularly, and crossing with the lights. He immediately began to test people's personalities, then check them for toxo; if it was found and cured, he'd survey them again in a few months. Sure enough, a lot of careless or reckless people had it, and their urge for self-preservation came back when it was gone. Scary stuff.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:55 pm

EatsAPeach wrote:The obvious strategy is to convoy the most dangerous parties to the win, with everyone else helping them in order to get rid of them.
Multiverse is evil, not sapient. :D

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:51 pm

I love these altsplanations! I think that the cat reality would make for a nice realm to play an actual DnD game in. Shame I'm such a newbie at homebrew.

On another note, I hope we will get more info on Kinslayer now that she is dead. I really thought she'd play a bigger part in the MoM due to the secrecy. I wonder if it was a Red Herring but I can't help but think that Thunt isn't giving us info on her to avoid revealing GoblinSlayer's true origins.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Rhemora
Remains Silent

Post by Rhemora » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

One thing I have to chuckle at, seems a few people didn't read the comic properly, only the FEMALES beards grow slowly, male ones would probably grow at normal dwarf rates which would be rather quickly out to a certain length I would think.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Rhemora wrote:One thing I have to chuckle at, seems a few people didn't read the comic properly, only the FEMALES beards grow slowly, male ones would probably grow at normal dwarf rates which would be rather quickly out to a certain length I would think.
How embarrassing for you, since you are the one who didn't read it properly.
Like the males of their species, the female dwarven beard takes much longer than the human beard to grow out, averaging one quarter inch per year.
Emphasis mine.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:10 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Speaking of cats... http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2932#comic
I can't believe you'd ninja me like that.

Summon Monster I!

SUCK PUPPY!
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

QuakeIV
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Amusing how 131 is showcased by catmax being shot in the forehead.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Marnath wrote:Emphasis mine.
Heh.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 pm

EatsAPeach wrote:raabr, that's Toxoplasmosis, and there's been some fascinating research from Europe. A researcher who was always casual and unkempt and a jaywalker found he was carrying toxoplasmosis, and cured it with antibiotics, and found that he had begun combing his hair, bathing more regularly, and crossing with the lights. He immediately began to test people's personalities, then check them for toxo; if it was found and cured, he'd survey them again in a few months. Sure enough, a lot of careless or reckless people had it, and their urge for self-preservation came back when it was gone. Scary stuff.

I...think I just completely lost interest in ever owning a cat...

And I did some more research. Apparently, it gets worse. There have been studies with results that suggest a correlation between Toxoplasmosis and Schizophrenia. You're right, it's pretty scary stuff.
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Well.. maybee the amount of cats killed all the rats befoer they could spread said parasite effectively...
The problem with that is that for the cats to be so successful, they would have to have some form of food source that bred much faster than them. Otherwise they would all starve to death. However, its possible that that reality has man-eating cats, so that point might be moot. But on the other hand, the parasite isn't spread only by rats (Many warm blooded animals can have it, like pigs and sheep), they are just the most common spreader. Eating undercooked pork, for example, can result in being contaminated by the parasite. Its.......EVERYWHERE :shock:
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:25 am

I've had cats around all my life, and we got tested a couple times along the way, like when my wife was pregnant, and neither we or the cats had it. Humans get it from litter boxes; my cats go outside and fertilize the woods so that's not a problem. I have a litter pan inside in case one is in overnight in bad weather, but they rarely use it. I live outside town on a dirt road, so having my own crew of rodent destroyers is a good thing.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:01 am

I have two cats. The litter box is inside. I have never been tested, but I'm not someone with any sort of "risky" personality, so I guess we're good? :shrug:

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 am

You can imagine the epic battles in the Cat universe...

Arya Versus Greebo....FIGHT!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Starfire
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Starfire

Re: Altsplatnations 4!

Post by Starfire » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:05 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:
kijihir wrote:Am I the only one that is vaguely disturbed by the "microscopic, virus-like cats"? The mental picture of thousands of miniature kittens gallavanting through the bloodstream, playing with red blood cells like demented balls of string, is absolutely terrifying, much on par with KinSlayer's attack from the last page. Or is it just me?
....Okay, so it is just me then... :shrug:
Or how about microscopic cats that live in the follicles of your eyelashes and come out at night to eat, poop, and reproduce on your face before retreating back into the follicles?
Drinkstoomuchcoffee you scare me. No, like really scare me. I'm not sleeping tonight. nope not me.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Altsplatnations 4!

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Starfire wrote:
DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote: Or how about microscopic cats that live in the follicles of your eyelashes and come out at night to eat, poop, and reproduce on your face before retreating back into the follicles?
Drinkstoomuchcoffee you scare me. No, like really scare me. I'm not sleeping tonight. nope not me.
Then think about your follicles being like boxes of sleepy kittens during the day, all stuffed full of fluffy cuteness, and then at night they all get to escape, run around and play on your face in a happy microscopic kitty playground.

Do not think about the small but not microscopic cats that you eat in your sleep when they crawl into your mouth.

And you probably don't want to know how catbees make catbee honey.

Corruptuser
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Corruptuser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 pm

As someone who plays Dwarf Fortress, I can attest that yes, it is possible for the entire world to be cats. Seriously, spay and neuter your pets, or your fortress will produce more kittens than your butchers, tanners, leatherworkers, cooks, and bonecarvers can handle.

Poncheis
Remains Silent

Post by Poncheis » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 pm

yeah true

and this has a very specific name in Dwarf Fortress: "catsplosion".

Well, awesome altsplanation. I'm pretty sure that wizmax is one of the realities that most tempts the Goblins fans. I just think that Thunt could explain a little more about MinMax' relation between Kin and Forgath (Isn't Forgath a male name?? this is quite weird to find a woman named "Forgath" haha). MinMax' lack of Charisma certainly makes him a disguting and arrogant person, and this certainly has an impact on his friendships, if he has one.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 am

Poncheis wrote:Isn't Forgath a male name?? this is quite weird to find a woman named "Forgath" haha
Perhaps not in this reality. Alternatively, it might be like Sam (Samuel/Samantha), or Jane/Jayne, or another name that can apply to either gender equally.

Web_MST3K
Remains Silent

Post by Web_MST3K » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 am

Joel: I thought Reality 51 would have something to do with a dungeon crawl based on a crashed alien spaceship.
Servo: How many XP do you get for doing an alien autopsy?
Crow: I got a +2 phaser with a cure light wounds setting!

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 am

Web_MST3K wrote:Joel: I thought Reality 51 would have something to do with a dungeon crawl based on a crashed alien spaceship.
Servo: How many XP do you get for doing an alien autopsy?
Crow: I got a +2 phaser with a cure light wounds setting!
Remember Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"