March 29, 2013 - Quit cheating!

Discuss the comic here!
Svafnir
Remains Silent

March 29, 2013 - Quit cheating!

Post by Svafnir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:34 am

Ahhh, the Axe of Prissan's no-hurting-paladins ability arises again. *wry grin* C'mon MinMax, you've got Oblivious AND your bare fists!

I admit I was concerned about both Wood!kin and KlikMax's abilities, but that situation seems to have resolved all on its own. :stab:

Hyuuint
Remains Silent

Re: March 29, 2013 - Quit cheating!

Post by Hyuuint » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 am

That line is almost as good as Shockwave's "LYING LIAR". If you know what that is, kudos.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:26 am

So weird to see a purple Junior. I always knew his color was determined by his host's IME, but it's still weird.

Also, permalink: www.goblinscomic.com/03292013/
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:28 am

Relevant (9th panel)

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 am

Wow, she just shrubbed him out.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:08 am

HA! :cheer:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:34 am

:laugh: MinMax looks like a chia pet in panels 7 and 8...

Yeah, love the Saral Caine reference. That's a loooooooooooooooooooooooong ways to plan a joke :P gotta give Thunt credit!
Last edited by T-RexWithTourettes on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am high in fructose.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:34 am

gamecreator wrote:Relevant (9th panel)
Ninja'd. I thought of that very same panel when I first saw the update.

Also: I love how both the Kinslayer and Klikmax both fall with a - 10 next to Minmax :D The details, oh the details - Thunt, you are a master
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 am

Svafnir wrote:Ahhh, the Axe of Prissan's no-hurting-paladins ability arises again. *wry grin* C'mon MinMax, you've got Oblivious AND your bare fists!

I admit I was concerned about both Wood!kin and KlikMax's abilities, but that situation seems to have resolved all on its own. :stab:
Then again it may not actually have resolved itself.

that ultimately depends on how independant the "Junior" Part of Klikmax actually is from Klikmax.
If it's anything like the one Dies Horribly had (and has become an individual entity despite its intended purpose) then there might just be another Junior waiting for Minmax in this fight.
Maybe even Slayerjunior.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:09 am

The Scrub wrote:
Svafnir wrote:Ahhh, the Axe of Prissan's no-hurting-paladins ability arises again. *wry grin* C'mon MinMax, you've got Oblivious AND your bare fists!

that ultimately depends on how independant the "Junior" Part of Klikmax actually is from Klikmax.
If it's anything like the one Dies Horribly had (and has become an individual entity despite its intended purpose) then there might just be another Junior waiting for Minmax in this fight.
Maybe even Slayerjunior.

Well, Junior has awaken after Dies "died" in the dungeon crawl - maybe this awakened Junior somehow, that death. If so, we've nothing to fear. Plus, I doubt Thunt will put Minmax against Junior when he has so much more to worry about right now
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 am

I'm still with my theory of key-of-darkness-induced awakening.

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:16 am

WastesTime wrote:
The Scrub wrote:

Maybe even Slayerjunior.

Well, Junior has awaken after Dies "died" in the dungeon crawl - maybe this awakened Junior somehow, that death. If so, we've nothing to fear. Plus, I doubt Thunt will put Minmax against Junior when he has so much more to worry about right now
I think that one could technically assume that Junior awakened earlier (first visible signs after being burned by the key and subsequently throwing it into the abyss on its own rather than because Dies made it do so).

Considering that this may have been a reality where the replacement worked without complications and that Junior is "slightly overkill" we may not see Junior wrecking everything.
It'd just be a bit anticlimactic for MM to beat everyone after epic combat and then whoops, drained all his blood anyway.
Could make for a dissapointing dramatic moment though.

Edit: looks like I lost initiative and my theory of an earlier awakening was posted before I could.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 am

It's nice when they kill each other off without your help.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 am

Ok, so MinMax "took" the Axe... should he have been given the backstory at that moment? Or is that information only given to Paladins? And, I take it that the Axe's armor doesn't actually 'transfer' until someone officially 'claims' the Axe?

...and for that matter, is it possible that in another reality, the Axe applies do a different character class?

Occams Meataxe
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Occams Meataxe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 am

The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 am

Also just realized that Thunt forgot that Juniormax has blonde eyebrows :P silly silly Thunt
I am high in fructose.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 am

stevedj wrote:Ok, so MinMax "took" the Axe... should he have been given the backstory at that moment? Or is that information only given to Paladins? And, I take it that the Axe's armor doesn't actually 'transfer' until someone officially 'claims' the Axe?

...and for that matter, is it possible that in another reality, the Axe applies do a different character class?
The backstory only transfers to paladins (and it does so instantly on contact). Also, MinMax hasn't really taken the axe. It's still in Sir Forgath's hand. It's just that MixMax (particularly when raging) has a much higher strength, so he's able to do the "stop hitting yourself" thing.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 am

Or Forgath may even not resist, as he knows that axe will not harm him.

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am

stevedj wrote:Ok, so MinMax "took" the Axe... should he have been given the backstory at that moment? Or is that information only given to Paladins? And, I take it that the Axe's armor doesn't actually 'transfer' until someone officially 'claims' the Axe?

According to the backstory only a Palladin gains access to the full powers and knowledge of the axe on contact(http://www.goblinscomic.com/08122007/).

The armor may be an additional effect that appears uniquely after claiming/spinning the axe (I guess, that appears to be what Ears does when he wants to gain/refresh the armor (during his fight with Saral and after the battle and subsequent escape from Brassmoon)).
The armor does not however appear by grabbing the axe since both Minmax and Saral used the axe against a Palladin wielding it but didn't gain the armor, though this may be influenced by them simply manipulating the axe that was still being grasped by the wielder.

Edit: and again I am beaten to the punch, maybe I should stop looking for the comic in which something appears or just take so long to make the post...
Last edited by The Scrub on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 am

I don't think it gives armor to non-paladins.

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 am

gamecreator wrote:I don't think it gives armor to non-paladins.
It does, otherwise Saral wouldn't have been capable of having the armor when confronting ears initially.

It does however appear to be a unique effect/spell whose previous incarnations are dispelled upon using it(Or the armor is a single, one size fits all, item that is summoned upon using the ability).

He has the armor from the Axe, glowing with his I.M.E., and it is then removed when Ears uses the effect to gain his own set of armor.

(Source: http://www.goblinscomic.com/08132007/)

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:17 am

The Scrub wrote:It does, otherwise Saral wouldn't have been capable of having the armor when confronting ears initially.
He could have taken it off of paladin he killed.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:22 am

He did seem surprised when it disappeared.

Also, Ears appears to have to stop to concentrate in order to invoke whatever it is that causes the armor to (re)appear around him. Mixmax, being in the midst of a barbarian rage, is in no condition to do that even if the axe would let him.

► Show Spoiler

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 am

gamecreator wrote:
The Scrub wrote:It does, otherwise Saral wouldn't have been capable of having the armor when confronting ears initially.
He could have taken it off of paladin he killed.
According to Ears, the Palladin who previously had the armor was female (08132007).
While it might be reasonable that he could have taken it off of her (Breastplate missing as well as left arm and other pieces of the armor, which are seen on ears when he summons the armor. The armor didn't fit or was damaged too heavily by his weapons to be of any use to him).
This would also suggest that Saral had roughly the same proportions as the female Palladin who wielded the axe before him(Or armor might adapt to size differences).

His surprise (as mentioned by the above poster) and the fact that the lore says that only a Palladin can fully access the powers of the axe also suggest he was unaware of this effect and thus couldn't use it.

Might be possible but without definite Author input can't be 100% certain though the case does heavily favor him stealing the armor as opposed to resummoning it.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 am

D&D armor is generally understood to fit anyone of the same size class. So a Medium creature (human, elf, etc.) can take the armor from any other Medium creature and wear it.

But yes, he's missing parts of it. You could explain some of it away as suiting the tastes and style of the character wearing it, but the breastplate is a major element. That suggests Saral can't get the armor to regenerate or reform.
Last edited by WearsHats on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

► Show Spoiler