March 24 2013 Update: Solo Round

Discuss the comic here!
boneguard
Of Few Words

Re: March 24 2013 Update: Solo Round

Post by boneguard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:01 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:Do any of you oldtimers understand 18/01, 18/02, etc? If so, please explain it to me.
If your character had an 18 strength (and was a Fighter or Fighter subclass, I think), you got a roll on a 1d100 for extra strength, which was from 18/01 to 18/00 (also limited by race and sex), those numbers coming from two rolls on a d10, which were frequently numbered 0-9 and so 100 was two zeros. Extra tip: roll two identical d10 for your 1d100 roll but don't don't declare digits beforehand. ;)
That's pretty much it. It was a way for fighter(fighter type) to be stronger then the strongest cleric, mage or thief.

The exceptional Strength was devided into smaller bracked 1-50, 51-75, 76-90, 91-99, 00 and each would give you an various to hit and damage bonus to a +3 to hit, +6 damage bonus at 18/00 as well as the capacity to carry more, lift gate and kick down door (including magically locked door) more easily.

BTW: That extra tip does not work with my Table top GM.

Edit
In second edition, the Racial and sex limit had been remove with everyone allowed the max (eg. 18/00)
Last edited by boneguard on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 pm

stevedj wrote:Maybe he didn't move quite in that direction... here's what I see...

Look at the orientation of Oblivion in frame 2 -- it is horizontal -- as he let's go with his left hand. He reaches for it with his right hand, in a vertical position, in frame 3. At this point, his backside is almost facing us (well, kinda facing off the the left).

But the point is, he pulls that sword through in a vertical position. So the tip of the sword is already half-way through the guy's body. Now, MinMax rotates back facing front, with just a bit of upward lift to the vertical sword -- almost swiping his right arm in a clock-wise motion (clockwise to MM, counter-clockwise to use viewers). In MM mind, he is rotating to the RIGHT (not spinning around to the left).

As for those motion lines possibly from his left hand... er... um... I just ignore those (and maybe they will just disappear during the recoloring... :oops: )
Hah, well, you can either ignore those obviously significant motion lines, or I can ignore how he impossibly managed to stay put when he'd clearly need to move his feet to spin. One of us loses either way.

On another interesting note...if Minmax swung his left leg back like illustrated, and if it had been placed correctly, then Scarmax would be vulnerable to a direct back kick. That'd totally down him for good.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm

axe11154 wrote:
Rogbull wrote:Heh, I loved how suprised giant Forgath was by oblivious, looks like he's retreating.
if you look at the comic you can see its not oblivious but klik max thats surprising him.
Hes just had his thumb ripped off
Nah, Klik bumped him on the cheek. His thumb is intact.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Changes_everything wrote:
axe11154 wrote:
Rogbull wrote:Heh, I loved how suprised giant Forgath was by oblivious, looks like he's retreating.
if you look at the comic you can see its not oblivious but klik max thats surprising him.
Nah, Klik bumped him on the cheek. His thumb is intact.
Dude, that's Giant Minmax, not Giant Forgath. They don't look even remotely similar. ;)

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

Oh - right.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 pm

The confusion is the position of his head in panel 3. Minmax has shifted his weight to his left, bending the previously straigt knee, while twisting so his right elbow in near that knee. While it might not allow much momentum before hitting his opponent, it would provide a decent amount of leverage, and isn't nearly as awkward a position as it might look here. (Stand up and touch your right elbow to your left knee, and this comic will make a lot more sense.)
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:
stevedj wrote:Maybe he didn't move quite in that direction... here's what I see...

Look at the orientation of Oblivion in frame 2 -- it is horizontal -- as he let's go with his left hand. He reaches for it with his right hand, in a vertical position, in frame 3. At this point, his backside is almost facing us (well, kinda facing off the the left).

But the point is, he pulls that sword through in a vertical position. So the tip of the sword is already half-way through the guy's body. Now, MinMax rotates back facing front, with just a bit of upward lift to the vertical sword -- almost swiping his right arm in a clock-wise motion (clockwise to MM, counter-clockwise to use viewers). In MM mind, he is rotating to the RIGHT (not spinning around to the left).

As for those motion lines possibly from his left hand... er... um... I just ignore those (and maybe they will just disappear during the recoloring... :oops: )
Hah, well, you can either ignore those obviously significant motion lines, or I can ignore how he impossibly managed to stay put when he'd clearly need to move his feet to spin. One of us loses either way.

On another interesting note...if Minmax swung his left leg back like illustrated, and if it had been placed correctly, then Scarmax would be vulnerable to a direct back kick. That'd totally down him for good.
Actually, focusing on his feet - it looks like they have not moved at all! All that motion was just his upper body, and some leg movement and he leaned/shifted side-to-side.

So, those motion lines? I've got two wacky/nonsense theories now:

1) They belong to something/someone else that moved. It looks like everyone on the left side of that frame is shying away from his sword/backswing... so maybe something/someone else moved quickly away at that moment...?

2) With all the forward/back portal-ing going on with MM and his sword, maybe those lines are appearing too soon, representing where he will move next...? :lol: (yea, I said wacky/nonsense, didn't I?)

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 pm

There actually motion lines near minmax's feet in the last panel. So I'm pretty sure he did this weird corkscrew pirouette thing like DoY described.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Kalontas
Remains Silent

Post by Kalontas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Am I the only one getting bored with these updates?

Look, I'm sure it's a really tense and cool combat scene, but personally, I can't help but glance over any combat as crowded as this one. I think I'm not the only one who will be more interested with what the guys up there are doing. (Which would also, incidentally, avoid having to position all the different alts when drawing the comic)

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm

axe11154 wrote:if you look at the comic you can see its not oblivious but klik max thats surprising him.
He's a big guy, he can take it. But those guys understand quantum theory, find it more likely he's phased by that than a thumb. :p

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Giant Dwarf Forgath is one of my favorite anythings ever. He just looks amazingly cool that way, not so much Hulkish but just awesome in an epic way. And he has no pupils in his eyes! Nor does the Axe of Prissan-Gath to his right in panel 1.

Looks like it's more or less Tentagath vs. Hulkmax, Klikmax vs. Hulkgath, Klik vs. Kinslayer, and possibly about to be Pinkin vs. Prissan-Gath. The most dangerous of the bunch are killing each other off before Oblivious-Max can even get to them. Our hero may manage to survive this one.
WastesTime wrote:I can see a Minmax who got struck by the Demon Effect of the Shield of Wonders.
Where? Which? That'd be cool; how did I miss it?
RocketScientist wrote:The hand switch was hilarious! :lol:
He's done it before, though not in such a groin-centric way. :x
CelineSSauve wrote:Yup. I absolutely love Oblivious. And the Axe of Prissan. And the late Chief's spear. Not so much with Complains' sword, though. But that's because it's just a +1 thingy. :P
It'd be cool if it evolved. If he can manage to become Chaotic Good (assuming he isn't already, which I think might be a stretch) by level 6, he could get the feat "Ancestral Relic" from BOXD (normally it's supposed to be something handed down through his family, but making it a possession of his entire tribe isn't too much of a strech, especially since's he's the son of one who deserved to be chief), and then he could sacrifice treasure to the sword to make it grow more powerful.
Neruz wrote:Momentum isn't an issue because I'm thinking a sword made of nothing probably cuts through whatever it feels like cutting through
It has been pointed out several times that there is no evidence that Oblivious has any special cutting-through-things power. As far as we know, it's just a +1 sword (since all magic swords have to be +1) with the special power that nothing other than Minmax can make it move through space or time (a useful enough property to be worth probably +2 or +3, with lots of cute tricks but not overwhelmingly powerful)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

willpell wrote: Nor does the Axe of Prissan-Gath to his right in panel 1.
That's an effect of the axe. Big Ears and Saral Caine both have pupil-less glowing eyes when they are the master of the axe.

ckrowe
Remains Silent
UStream Username: CKrowe

Post by ckrowe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Just to throw my 2 coppers in...

I shall hereafter refer to frame three as the "Forward-Facing Reacharound" or FFR, because we don't have NEARLY enough acronyms around here. MinMax's position during the FFR is obnoxiously awkward. It isn't physiologically impossible, but it's VERY unpleasant. Transitioning from the FFR to the pose in frame four is no less comfortable. And, yes, I spent some time (and was caught) trying the FFR pose and subsequent transition to figure out the motion involved. None of what I came up with felt natural or intuitive.

A foot transition doesn't seem likely to me as ScarMax always has one, and only one, of MinMax's legs between his. For the corkscrew pirouette to adhere to that both of MM's feet would need to re-position and I just don't see that.

I'd be interested in better understanding Thunt's vision for the movement, since it is obviously complicated and we may well be missing something.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:22 pm

axe11154 wrote:
Firestrum wrote:BTW- not sure if anyone noticed this yet, but Clik-Max's arm is spreading on his side...check the reveal of the battle royale. It may be working more for him, but it looks like its also starting to take more of him! :paranoia:
O_O
its also possible that thats where he was cut
He's using his Klik-hand to make a shield; Dies has done the same thing, instinctively.
Kalontas wrote:Am I the only one getting bored with these updates?

Look, I'm sure it's a really tense and cool combat scene, but personally, I can't help but glance over any combat as crowded as this one. I think I'm not the only one who will be more interested with what the guys up there are doing. (Which would also, incidentally, avoid having to position all the different alts when drawing the comic)
Probably, yeah.

I do tend to space out on first glance at these action scenes, but then when I read the thread, people point out all these tiny details and I go back and look and find them one by one, and I get more and more in awe of how much activity Thunt has packed onto the page. It kinda makes me sad that I wasn't there during the earlier fights to experience the same effect.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Occams Meataxe
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Occams Meataxe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Neruz wrote:That is an extremely clever maneuver, but I would like everyone to look at the position Minmax is standing in in the second-last frame, and then look at the position that he is standing in in the last frame.
Now look at the arc of blood that shows the direction the sword went in.

I'm fairly sure that in order to have done that Minmax's torso needs to have rotated a full 180 degrees and he is now backwards and has broken his back.
Nah.
His weight was on his right foot, and his torso was unrotated
Then he shifted his weight to his left foot, rotated about 90 degrees counter clockwise and grabbed the sword out of the hole.
Finally, he shifted his weight back to his right foot, rotated his torso back into alignment while bringing his right arm into position.

It doesn't take that much flexibility, and it generates a good deal of power if you have good body mechanics

Forget the shot to the goolies. Scarmax just lost a femoral artery. -10 in VERY short order.
Last edited by Occams Meataxe on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Lol! So much for the red hat guy!!
I guess he was a red herring.
"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Well Klik, that was adorable. Thanks for reminding us you're dead :(

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Why does this thread have an "Attachments" icon?
My long-neglected blog.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Sizemore Rockwell
Remains Silent

Post by Sizemore Rockwell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:Upon further inspection, I realized that even following my logical sequence of movements, the last panel is still problematic. If Minmax pivoted like I believe he did, his feet are still technically placed wrong after his swing. He should be MUCH CLOSER to Scarmax, pretty much in front of him.
I agree that he made a 360 degree turn, but I think he stepped with his right foot rather than pivoted on it.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:32 pm

If you look carefully at the line art for panel 3 it seems almost certain that he stepped forward with his right foot. How he got back to the original position I don't know... but I am certain that there was more movement here than is initially noticeable.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm

willpell wrote:
-snip-
WastesTime wrote:I can see a Minmax who got struck by the Demon Effect of the Shield of Wonders.
Where? Which? That'd be cool; how did I miss it?

-snip-
I think that that's a reference to the almost-meme "Gingers have no souls" (Which is most definitely not true!), and the fact that there's a Ginger-max in the crowd. When you consider the fact that the Demon effect of the shield destroys the soul.......

Or i'm misinterpreting all of this, in which case I should do this: :wall:
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I managed to use my elite hacking skills to get the next page of the script from Thunt's computer, using TCP/IP and packets:
► Show Spoiler
Don't tell any of the mods that I'm a completely skilled hacker and definitely obtained this real comic text.

Also, one of the altmaxes has what appears to be a Kliktanium eyepatch. That is all the way awesome, and our Minmax should take it, Naruto-style.

EDIT: Ok, I changed my avatar to hide. If anyone asks, my name is Truthy McGuffin.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm really sorry, Tarol. You're probably looking at this topic and face palming.

Let's admit it. Not a single thing gets past this fanbase without our poking and analyzing and nitpicking it to death.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 pm

I think he plays on that sometime though. Like look how long we were talking about all the different possible situations that the red helmet max could've caused or been part of. Just to have him die pretty much right off the bat. Very clever I think
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.