March 24 2013 Update: Solo Round

Discuss the comic here!
AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: March 24 2013 Update: Solo Round

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 am

Right. I believe the way she phrased it was that it uses oblivion as a power source, so since Minmax has no idea how it works, it should be pretty powerful. Although I'm sure someone else could explain much better than me. What I wanna know is if he does begin understanding how the sword works (hypothetically of course), what exactly would happen to it? Psymax said that oblivion can't ever actually exist, even as an idea or understanding. So would the sword disappear the more he understood it? I dunno, this stuff makes my head hurt :shrug:
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 am

YggazTheFool wrote:Could our MinMax relatively easy and quickly dispatch the whole lot of them by simply "dropping" and "taking" the Oblivious repeatedly, having it to appear inside the bodies of the other fighters? Just "grabbing" it in front of other fighters, and having Oblivious appear inside them. Not the most fluent with D&D rules, but would assume that a hole the size and shape of a sword inside your body would probably be enough to insta-kill low level characters. He wouldn't even have to pull it, just let go again, and the wound would already be there.
That would be a pretty neat tactic. I wonder if any of the others would catch on to what he's up to? Surely there's at least one Kin who could see what's up and figure a way around it. This fight is only just beginning, I think. On an unrelated note, ADoM is one of my all time favorite games, please be my friend :D

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am

YggazTheFool wrote:Could our MinMax relatively easy and quickly dispatch the whole lot of them by simply "dropping" and "taking" the Oblivious repeatedly, having it to appear inside the bodies of the other fighters? Just "grabbing" it in front of other fighters, and having Oblivious appear inside them. Not the most fluent with D&D rules, but would assume that a hole the size and shape of a sword inside your body would probably be enough to insta-kill low level characters. He wouldn't even have to pull it, just let go again, and the wound would already be there.
Oblivious doesn't suddenly appear in space. It must be drawn from the time hole.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 am

Hmm I think I see what he's getting at. Which raises the question: What would happen if MM reaches through space and time, grabs Oblivious from his past self, but then lets go again before withdrawing his hand? Would another time hole open up right next to the first one?

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 am

see
oblivius could easily become the strongest weapon ever made.
But its wielded by an idiot
but that makes it stronger.
so really is there any weapon that can beak oblivious or a shield that can stop it?

Code: Select all

Hmm I think I see what he's getting at. Which raises the question: What would happen if MM reaches through space and time, grabs Oblivious from his past self, but then lets go again before withdrawing his hand? Would another time hole open up right next to the first one?
See.... thats what a portal is and then we would nee to burn your house down with lemons
I am a goblin, Just a little fat is all.

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 am

To anyone still confused about how Minmax moved in this update, I made a graphic. The fact is, and I know this is a criticism to Thunt, but I mean it in the most constructive way, the last two panels look awkward. They put Minmax in two extreme, if cool, positions in fast succession. I'm not surprised that it does look like he completely twisted his torso silly within the space of one move. See attatchment to get my drift.

EDIT;
Upon further inspection, I realized that even following my logical sequence of movements, the last panel is still problematic. If Minmax pivoted like I believe he did, his feet are still technically placed wrong after his swing. He should be MUCH CLOSER to Scarmax, pretty much in front of him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daughter Of Yahweh on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am

axe11154 wrote:see
so really is there any weapon that can beak oblivious or a shield that can stop it?

See.... thats what a portal is and then we would nee to burn your house down with lemons
COMBUSTIABLE LEMONS!

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 am

AccursedBiscuit wrote:
axe11154 wrote:see

COMBUSTIABLE LEMONS!
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am

I'mBob wrote:So apparently MinMax can be clever. Even when raging.
Remember, he may be incompetent at everything else, but his combat skills are all maxed out. That's probably what let him adapt Oblivious' special properties into a fighting style so quickly...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 am

Why are they fighting at all? I suppose it is because, good or evil, they are all Chaotic, and all the MinMaxes need to prove that each is better than any other MinMax. The keys are gone! The sensible thing to do would be sit down and wait, either for iteration number # 1,982,772 to end, or for the keys to reappear after the party with them immolates itself in the treasure room.

Can someone clarify whether somebody wins every iteration, or it is possible to have no winner? The first would imply that the "reality numbers" are just slots, and if reality # XXX wins, it is replaced the next time by a completely new and different party with the same number.
"O Heracles! The valor of man is vanquished!"
- Archidamus son of Agesilaus, King of Sparta, when @ 350 B.C. he first saw a catapult shot

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

AccursedBiscuit wrote:Hmm I think I see what he's getting at. Which raises the question: What would happen if MM reaches through space and time, grabs Oblivious from his past self, but then lets go again before withdrawing his hand? Would another time hole open up right next to the first one?
Yes.

Elvors
Mutters to Themself

Post by Elvors » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 am

I really don't see a problem.
Minmax ducked, picked up the sword, then did a vertical backhand swing while staying ducked. No pivoting at all, but he DID have to stretch his right arm pretty far to his left to grab the sword.
It's not the best move to disembowel a foe from top to bottom because lack of momentum would work against him; but then MM is at least STR 18.

I think the image is a bit unclear because Woodpecker-Klik's movement lines are drawn in bold and the sword doesn't have any - that makes it easy to imagine WK's movement as the sword's, and then the interpretation goes all horribly wrong.

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 am

I never interpreted Alt-Klick's movement lines as the sword's. We can tell how he swung the sword by following its arc of blood. He did this right-handed, and for him to have completed the arc, he'd have to spin and move his feet. Except the way Thunt drew it, it doesn't look like his feet moved at all (they're still in the same spot after the pivot) and that's why it looks like his torso somehow spun in a complete circle all on its own.

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 am

Elvors wrote:...but then MM is at least STR 18.
Try: STR 22 at level 1

Bottom left panel.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

shikashaker
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Shikashaker

Post by shikashaker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

When the serpent becomes your prey,
friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 am

That third frame is a little bit hard to look at due to the distortion effects.

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am

WhichWayDidHeGo wrote:Why are they fighting at all? I suppose it is because, good or evil, they are all Chaotic, and all the MinMaxes need to prove that each is better than any other MinMax. The keys are gone! The sensible thing to do would be sit down and wait, either for iteration number # 1,982,772 to end, or for the keys to reappear after the party with them immolates itself in the treasure room.

Can someone clarify whether somebody wins every iteration, or it is possible to have no winner? The first would imply that the "reality numbers" are just slots, and if reality # XXX wins, it is replaced the next time by a completely new and different party with the same number.
It's mob mentality. Not every single one of them is going to stop fighting. If one person Ais still fighting, that means he is fighting someone, person B. Person C sees person B being attacked and omg, has to help! It just chains from there. Hey! How DARE you attack person A, who was attacking person B! Grr, I, person D shall stop this! Etc.

As for the second question, that's "what's in debate". No one knows. The reality numbers are for reference purposes only. Reality #100 doesn't know they ARE reality #100. Do you know if (hypothetically) Gods refer to our current existence as anything? We could be reality Banana, because no other reality has Bananas. If reality #35 wins, the replacement group is not reality #35. They are a different reality number of which the dungeons holds so many. We may have a reality #1,237,917 present. We don't know all the numbers for all the groups.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

Hey, I can't see a leash on GS-Kin!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am

RIP. One less purple worm familiar in the world.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

boneguard wrote:
Elvors wrote:...but then MM is at least STR 18.
Try: STR 22 at level 1

Bottom left panel.
Do any of you oldtimers understand 18/01, 18/02, etc? If so, please explain it to me.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Firestrum
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Firestrum

Post by Firestrum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18 am

BTW- not sure if anyone noticed this yet, but Clik-Max's arm is spreading on his side...check the reveal of the battle royale. It may be working more for him, but it looks like its also starting to take more of him! :paranoia:

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:Do any of you oldtimers understand 18/01, 18/02, etc? If so, please explain it to me.
If your character had an 18 strength (and was a Fighter or Fighter subclass, I think), you got a roll on a 1d100 for extra strength, which was from 18/01 to 18/00 (also limited by race and sex), those numbers coming from two rolls on a d10, which were frequently numbered 0-9 and so 100 was two zeros. Extra tip: roll two identical d10 for your 1d100 roll but don't don't declare digits beforehand. ;)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

Daughter Of Yahweh wrote:To anyone still confused about how Minmax moved in this update, I made a graphic. The fact is, and I know this is a criticism to Thunt, but I mean it in the most constructive way, the last two panels look awkward. They put Minmax in two extreme, if cool, positions in fast succession. I'm not surprised that it does look like he completely twisted his torso silly within the space of one move. See attatchment to get my drift.

EDIT;
Upon further inspection, I realized that even following my logical sequence of movements, the last panel is still problematic. If Minmax pivoted like I believe he did, his feet are still technically placed wrong after his swing. He should be MUCH CLOSER to Scarmax, pretty much in front of him.
Maybe he didn't move quite in that direction... here's what I see...

Look at the orientation of Oblivion in frame 2 -- it is horizontal -- as he let's go with his left hand. He reaches for it with his right hand, in a vertical position, in frame 3. At this point, his backside is almost facing us (well, kinda facing off the the left).

But the point is, he pulls that sword through in a vertical position. So the tip of the sword is already half-way through the guy's body. Now, MinMax rotates back facing front, with just a bit of upward lift to the vertical sword -- almost swiping his right arm in a clock-wise motion (clockwise to MM, counter-clockwise to use viewers). In MM mind, he is rotating to the RIGHT (not spinning around to the left).

As for those motion lines possibly from his left hand... er... um... I just ignore those (and maybe they will just disappear during the recoloring... :oops: )
Last edited by stevedj on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

Firestrum wrote:BTW- not sure if anyone noticed this yet, but Clik-Max's arm is spreading on his side...check the reveal of the battle royale. It may be working more for him, but it looks like its also starting to take more of him! :paranoia:
O_O
its also possible that thats where he was cut

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am

Rogbull wrote:Heh, I loved how suprised giant Forgath was by oblivious, looks like he's retreating.
if you look at the comic you can see its not oblivious but klik max thats surprising him.
Hes just had his thumb ripped off