March 19 2013: Altsplanation 2

Discuss the comic here!
Zwums
Of Few Words

Re: March 19 2013: Altsplanation 2

Post by Zwums » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

willpell wrote:Also: with all the stuff about "Shooshoo" and their belief in "non-sameness", did anyone but me expect that he was going to end up recruiting Minmax for his "ultimate diss"?
Now that I did not pick up on :lol:

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:29 am

Love these altsplanations, too!

But, this current one is missing something important! In Reality 127, it says that the bartender slipped the drink to two strangers. That doesn't sound quite accurate -- didn't he give it to THREE people -- because Goblinslayer should have had some, too, right? I'd love to find out what happened to him when he drank... :P

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 am

You're right that the explanation is incomplete without the fate of Goblinslayer; but it's not inaccurate because GS is certainly not a stranger, he's a disgraced celebrity that the bartender still respects. My suspicion is that Bluemax killed GS courtesy of his upgrade and without Forgath to voice reason, he went about hunting Kin instead of falling in love.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 am

Rorrik wrote:What I find interesting is that lonely alts, like AceMax, and BlueMax, are thrown into the maze together with all the MFKs, there's even one with a One-Eye instead of a Forgath. If "alts" can be defined that broadly, it seems very odd that so many of the alts have the full MFK compliment. My only theory is that Kin is in general a major liability and so 2 million tries in, the groups mostly have Kins. I'm just suprised we don't see more groups with major handicaps or with less members.
I am still astounded that Blue MinMax even made it to the tower room. His strength and dexterity can be increased to any degree, but dumbness overcomes all, and I wonder what percentage of his tries he has gotten this far.

Not: Blue Max should not be confused with Blue MinMax. Get both the movie and the book for another take on alt continuities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Max
"O Heracles! The valor of man is vanquished!"
- Archidamus son of Agesilaus, King of Sparta, when @ 350 B.C. he first saw a catapult shot

Poncheis
Remains Silent

Post by Poncheis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 am

But wait, then how tentacled reality entered on the maze of many? You know, Minmax was the one who fighted with Goblinslayer and then Forgath and Minmax found Kin and went there. But, with minmax dead, Forgath should've traveled together with Goblinslayer and never met kin.

Thunt could've explained that in my opinion :P

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:53 am

There is no place for Goblinslayer's personality in that world.

Poncheis
Remains Silent

Post by Poncheis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 am

WhichWayDidHeGo wrote:
Rorrik wrote:What I find interesting is that lonely alts, like AceMax, and BlueMax, are thrown into the maze together with all the MFKs, there's even one with a One-Eye instead of a Forgath. If "alts" can be defined that broadly, it seems very odd that so many of the alts have the full MFK compliment. My only theory is that Kin is in general a major liability and so 2 million tries in, the groups mostly have Kins. I'm just suprised we don't see more groups with major handicaps or with less members.
I am still astounded that Blue MinMax even made it to the tower room. His strength and dexterity can be increased to any degree, but dumbness overcomes all, and I wonder what percentage of his tries he has gotten this far.

Not: Blue Max should not be confused with Blue MinMax. Get both the movie and the book for another take on alt continuities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Max
Maybe blue Minmax has a higher inteligence than 156's. Well, if he could understand Kin's coordinates to MoM, then he surely could make it to the tower room :P.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 am

Poncheis wrote:But wait, then how tentacled reality entered on the maze of many? You know, Minmax was the one who fighted with Goblinslayer and then Forgath and Minmax found Kin and went there. But, with minmax dead, Forgath should've traveled together with Goblinslayer and never met kin.

What do you mean never met Kin? GS had her on the leash in the tavern. Do you even remember why Minimax fought him? Gobslay was bragging that he rapes her "Every night!" If he said that to Forgath, he'd get the same fate. In fact, I bet Tentigath and Octokin are good friends.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Neoriceisgood
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Neoriceisgood

Post by Neoriceisgood » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

It's nice to have things altsplained to you.
http://www.neorice.com <- pixelart webcomic, worth reading if you like my art.

CheeseToastofDeath
Wins a Fan Art Contest
UStream Username: CheeseToastofDeath

Post by CheeseToastofDeath » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 pm

This discussion about Goblinslayer and the Maze of Many mirrors something I was wondering earlier. Goblinslayer was extremely close to joining Forgath and Minmax in 'our' reality. And the Maze of Many seems to allow a certain degree of party variation, like how that one reality had One-Eye instead of Forgath. And yet, none of the realities we've seen look like Goblinslayer's part of them. The closest we've seen is that Kin who shares some of Dellyn's characteristics. Either having Goblinslayer in the party puts it too far outside the Maze's parameters for what an acceptable variation is, or that encounter was doomed no matter what differed about that particular reality.

Also, I love reality 214, although I am saddened at its depiction of Lovecraftian monstrosities as being so universally evil that they cannot ever invent ice cream. Prejudice! Prejudice I tell you!

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:
Hippo wrote:What's the betting Thunt has been reading the "things you never noticed" threads, knowing about the bartender and wondering if any of us would pick up on it?
No bet, Thunt loves seeing if we catch the little bits of minutia so I would not be the least bit surprised. I'd also be shocked if there weren't things in the comic that we've all just missed. When you read the PDF books the amount of detail he alludes to is incredible, same for the live stream, he pays attention to details better than any other comic I'm aware of.
GunnerKrigg Court is at the very least equal and most likely surpasses Goblins in tiny details.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

CheeseToastofDeath wrote:This discussion about Goblinslayer and the Maze of Many mirrors something I was wondering earlier. Goblinslayer was extremely close to joining Forgath and Minmax in 'our' reality. And the Maze of Many seems to allow a certain degree of party variation, like how that one reality had One-Eye instead of Forgath. And yet, none of the realities we've seen look like Goblinslayer's part of them. The closest we've seen is that Kin who shares some of Dellyn's characteristics. Either having Goblinslayer in the party puts it too far outside the Maze's parameters for what an acceptable variation is, or that encounter was doomed no matter what differed about that particular reality.
Or, they just never go to the Maze with Goblinslayer on their team. In any reality.
Think about it: if they had Goblinslayer on their team, they would have a way to track the GAP, and no reason to go to the Maze. Or even any knowledge of it's existence.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Dusk9 wrote:
CheeseToastofDeath wrote:This discussion about Goblinslayer and the Maze of Many mirrors something I was wondering earlier. Goblinslayer was extremely close to joining Forgath and Minmax in 'our' reality. And the Maze of Many seems to allow a certain degree of party variation, like how that one reality had One-Eye instead of Forgath. And yet, none of the realities we've seen look like Goblinslayer's part of them. The closest we've seen is that Kin who shares some of Dellyn's characteristics. Either having Goblinslayer in the party puts it too far outside the Maze's parameters for what an acceptable variation is, or that encounter was doomed no matter what differed about that particular reality.
Or, they just never go to the Maze with Goblinslayer on their team. In any reality.
Think about it: if they had Goblinslayer on their team, they would have a way to track the GAP, and no reason to go to the Maze. Or even any knowledge of it's existence.
this is a way better explication, then my "well some violent alt kin must have killed him on signed"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 pm

boneguard wrote:Dukes wonderful page of FMK realities is awesome and it's pretty much up to date (altsplanations 2 as not been added yet, but will shortly). A must read for those who want to know what's happening and who the FMK are.
Awww, thanks :)

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:43 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
boneguard wrote:This is a pretty funny update. Love the 214 Alternate reality. Very Cthulhuesque.
Everybody sing along!
That is pretty funny and so appropriate.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

One thing I wonder about with reference to the Maze of Many. We're told that when you enter a normal dungeon, other reality versions of you are also entering that same dungeon in their own universe, but when you go to the Maze of Many you actually meet them, because they all entered the Maze at the same time as you. But shouldn't there be some other realities in which your party' because of their wildly divergent backstory, traveled to the Maze earlier, later, or not at all? Do you just never meet those realities, or do they not exist? Were the alternate realities always there, or do they just spring into being when you enter the Maze, having previously only existed as theoretical possibilities? If all 218 realities are currently running the maze, does this prevent a new reality from entering it? Do they get stuck in a queue and have to wait until someone wins the maze and opens up a slot?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

willpell wrote:One thing I wonder about with reference to the Maze of Many. We're told that when you enter a normal dungeon, other reality versions of you are also entering that same dungeon in their own universe, but when you go to the Maze of Many you actually meet them, because they all entered the Maze at the same time as you. But shouldn't there be some other realities in which your party' because of their wildly divergent backstory, traveled to the Maze earlier, later, or not at all? Do you just never meet those realities, or do they not exist? Were the alternate realities always there, or do they just spring into being when you enter the Maze, having previously only existed as theoretical possibilities? If all 218 realities are currently running the maze, does this prevent a new reality from entering it? Do they get stuck in a queue and have to wait until someone wins the maze and opens up a slot?
I'd always assumed that the maze was isolated outside of time, so that from its perspective all alts entered at the same time and it randomly replaced victors, or randomly matched up groups. This way you would leave at exactly the same time you entered, regardless of when you entered.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm

willpell wrote:One thing I wonder about with reference to the Maze of Many. We're told that when you enter a normal dungeon, other reality versions of you are also entering that same dungeon in their own universe, but when you go to the Maze of Many you actually meet them, because they all entered the Maze at the same time as you. But shouldn't there be some other realities in which your party' because of their wildly divergent backstory, traveled to the Maze earlier, later, or not at all? Do you just never meet those realities, or do they not exist? Were the alternate realities always there, or do they just spring into being when you enter the Maze, having previously only existed as theoretical possibilities? If all 218 realities are currently running the maze, does this prevent a new reality from entering it? Do they get stuck in a queue and have to wait until someone wins the maze and opens up a slot?
Well, time flows differently in the maze since it resets infinitely for you until you win. given that, I'd wager that no matter when in the timeline it is on your side, your team comes through the interior of the entrance at the same moment in time as all others.

Team A enters the maze on February 10th, at 2:30 pm.
Team B enters the maze on February 10th, at 2:45 pm.
Team C enters the maze on February 12th, at 11:45 am. (because they got lost)

Teams A,B and C all arrive inside on the same day and time as the other 215 teams.

Neoriceisgood
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Neoriceisgood

Post by Neoriceisgood » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:51 am

Marnath wrote:
Well, time flows differently in the maze since it resets infinitely for you until you win. given that, I'd wager that no matter when in the timeline it is on your side, your team comes through the interior of the entrance at the same moment in time as all others.

Teams A,B and C all arrive inside on the same day and time as the other 215 teams.
This makes sense, actually.
http://www.neorice.com <- pixelart webcomic, worth reading if you like my art.

ActsStupidly
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: ActsStupidly

Post by ActsStupidly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 am

Neoriceisgood wrote:
Marnath wrote:

This makes sense, actually.
Agreed and is now Fanon!

Dovearrow
Remains Silent

Post by Dovearrow » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 am

SccrD25 wrote:Here ya go:

Minmax is a large, round blob-like humaniod. He is immune to all non-magical damage other than slashing or piercing which does x8 damage to him. So he won't let anyone near him use sharp objects (other than himself). Forgath has been forced to modify the spike on his helmet so it isn't sharp. Kin is completely repulsed by Minmax, who can defensively ooze slime like a slug.

from http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/
Thanks! :-)

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am

Happy to. That page is awesome.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

Poncheis
Remains Silent

Post by Poncheis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 am

BuildsLegos wrote:
Poncheis wrote:But wait, then how tentacled reality entered on the maze of many? You know, Minmax was the one who fighted with Goblinslayer and then Forgath and Minmax found Kin and went there. But, with minmax dead, Forgath should've traveled together with Goblinslayer and never met kin.

What do you mean never met Kin? GS had her on the leash in the tavern. Do you even remember why Minimax fought him? Gobslay was bragging that he rapes her "Every night!" If he said that to Forgath, he'd get the same fate. In fact, I bet Tentigath and Octokin are good friends.
Compassion and goodness was totally erradicated from that world.

then, obviously, Forgath wouldn't mind Goblinslayer raping Kin.

Poncheis
Remains Silent

Post by Poncheis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am

Hippo wrote:What's the betting Thunt has been reading the "things you never noticed" threads, knowing about the bartender and wondering if any of us would pick up on it?
You know that Thunt draws every comic, right?

Lee
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Lee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 am

Dusk9 wrote:
There is also the possibility that there just isn't a group with a Gobinslayer in this iteration of the maze because they've all gone through and won some of the previous almost 2 million attempts. Remember he was a pretty high level Ranger (in our reality) and his team would have had an advantage.