March 19 2013: Altsplanation 2

Discuss the comic here!
boneguard
Of Few Words

March 19 2013: Altsplanation 2

Post by boneguard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:13 pm

This is a pretty funny update. Love the 214 Alternate reality. Very Cthulhuesque.
Last edited by boneguard on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: March 19 2013: Altsplanation 2

Post by SamWiser » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

That's awesome. I like how Minmax strangled himself. He couldn't even complete one battle.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:40 pm

I really liked how 214's tentacle gods were like "See! We told you this would be awesome!".

Never noticed the bartender attacking Fumbles before. Thunt has put more thought into these details than I've realized.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Hippo
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hippo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:43 pm

What's the betting Thunt has been reading the "things you never noticed" threads, knowing about the bartender and wondering if any of us would pick up on it?
I'm hungry, but i'm not hungry hungry...

Greyman
Remains Silent

Post by Greyman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

So is this page in lieu of a normal update? Haven't seen Thunt mention so on twitter, so excited we might get a page as well.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Hippo wrote:What's the betting Thunt has been reading the "things you never noticed" threads, knowing about the bartender and wondering if any of us would pick up on it?
Haha!

I don't even care if these take the place of updates, if these are easier to put out for Thunt, I'd rather a couple months of Altsplanations if it gives him a chance to catch a breather and regain some sanity.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Zwums
Of Few Words

Post by Zwums » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Not to toot my own horn, I always assumed the bartender thing was common knowledge...

But aside from being a jerk, I would agree with spiderwrangler. Bring on the atslplanations!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Zwums wrote:Not to toot my own horn, I always assumed the bartender thing was common knowledge...
I did, too. Not the thing about the potion and gods, but the thing where he hit Fumbles.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah he was definitely on Birds list. Hey did anyone grab a copy of that?
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 pm

I think we should move Lenard to the official list of Goblins villains. He is one rotten human.

I would seriously love to get like two of these a week and just one update. Might be easier on Thunt and there's got to be several realities that can be explained without spoilers
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Also: with all the stuff about "Shooshoo" and their belief in "non-sameness", did anyone but me expect that he was going to end up recruiting Minmax for his "ultimate diss"?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Joe Falco
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Joe Falco

Post by Joe Falco » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Blue Minmax reminds me of a cenobite with the what looks to me like wires roped across his body.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm

boneguard wrote:This is a pretty funny update. Love the 214 Alternate reality. Very Cthulhuesque.
Everybody sing along!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

zennyrpg
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by zennyrpg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm

SccrD25 wrote:Yeah he was definitely on Birds list. Hey did anyone grab a copy of that?
I do (although I think Bird has a local copy on his computer as well). I can't wait for Bird to re-post, that was my favorite thread! And it would get like 100% more awesome now that we can chronicle multiple views of a high number of alts.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Hippo wrote:What's the betting Thunt has been reading the "things you never noticed" threads, knowing about the bartender and wondering if any of us would pick up on it?
No bet, Thunt loves seeing if we catch the little bits of minutia so I would not be the least bit surprised. I'd also be shocked if there weren't things in the comic that we've all just missed. When you read the PDF books the amount of detail he alludes to is incredible, same for the live stream, he pays attention to details better than any other comic I'm aware of.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

ActsStupidly
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: ActsStupidly

Post by ActsStupidly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Agreed on Thunt's attention to detail, though I'm guessing that comes from years of DMing. The best DMs can turn an almost unnoticed event that happened in the 1st session in long standing games into the driving force of the plot like 30 sessions later.

predator
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by predator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 pm

if you have the entire plot mapped before you, it is very easy to place little set-ups and pay-offs. A setup might vary from using flat characters to show up again towards the building of the tension towards a joke. If he where to backtrack his own story enough he might find anything to be a setup. Especially in a comic. For example if the heroes were to go back to brassmoon in the future then he might use cameo's of the same townspeople that we have seen before without the readers even noticing it. Oh and talking about brassmoon. The monsters that escaped will propably enter the plot or make cameo's in the future.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:20 am

I freaking love these extra's
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 am

I want to hear about the pink Kin with the Oblivious blade, or the the team up of Klik and Minmax.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Dovearrow
Remains Silent

Post by Dovearrow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:10 am

I'm still waiting to learn about the fat Minmax that's covered in goo. What's his story?

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 am

Dovearrow wrote:I'm still waiting to learn about the fat Minmax that's covered in goo. What's his story?
Here ya go:

Minmax is a large, round blob-like humaniod. He is immune to all non-magical damage other than slashing or piercing which does x8 damage to him. So he won't let anyone near him use sharp objects (other than himself). Forgath has been forced to modify the spike on his helmet so it isn't sharp. Kin is completely repulsed by Minmax, who can defensively ooze slime like a slug.

from http://duke.a-comics.ru/fmk/
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:08 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I want to hear about the pink Kin with the Oblivious blade, or the the team up of Klik and Minmax.
already done in this page:
Reality #171 [20110211 panel 2: row 5 col 4, 20130302][twitter 10 Mar 2011 @3740 followers]
Dies & Klik joined the goblins adventure party (GAP), Klik was seperated from Dies & the GAP during the battle in Brassmoon. The drider from the Brassmoon dungeon survived by hiding in the city. After FMK killed Goblinslayer, they encountered the drider, then defeated him in battle, but Minmax lost his arm in the fight. Klik saw this and replaced his arm, thus bonding with Minmax.
Dukes wonderful page of FMK realities is awesome and it's pretty much up to date (altsplanations 2 as not been added yet, but will shortly). A must read for those who want to know what's happening and who the FMK are.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 am

What I find interesting is that lonely alts, like AceMax, and BlueMax, are thrown into the maze together with all the MFKs, there's even one with a One-Eye instead of a Forgath. If "alts" can be defined that broadly, it seems very odd that so many of the alts have the full MFK compliment. My only theory is that Kin is in general a major liability and so 2 million tries in, the groups mostly have Kins. I'm just suprised we don't see more groups with major handicaps or with less members.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:40 am

the teams with major handicap probably wouldn't go out adventuring

my favorite so far is NinjaMax who hangs from one of the pillar thingies
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 am

I think it's more likely that most alt groups without a Kin would have no reason to go to the Maze in the first place. She's the entire driving force behind the excursion to the Maze, so in most universes where she isn't a member of the group, they would have no reason to go near it.
There are exceptions, obviously, but that's only a small number of cases.