1st november 2022 - "Treasure and love"

Discuss the comic here!
Dendr
Mutters to Themself

Re: 1st november 2022 - "Treasure and love"

Post by Dendr » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:50 am

I'm not sure if this is correct place to discuss such a thing, but still.

Can you imagine that it was 10 years ago when we last time saw Dies?
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/11232012

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Dendr wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:50 am I'm not sure if this is correct place to discuss such a thing, but still.

Yes. Easily. The author of this comic needs to recruit some additional artists and writers (meaning mid-level writers remaining under the author's full editorial control), as the story of Goblins is much too large to be told by only a single person. The fact that this has not been done (and perhaps cannot be, given finances and logistics and the author's social anxieties) inevitably leads to absurd levels of delay, and a high probability of the story NEVER getting completed. glances over at George R.R. Martin and the plan to split up the next ASOIF novel AGAIN, because a 7-volume saga is clearly not enough when we're only on 5 existing volumes

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:32 am

We're 20 years down the line with Goblins at this point. If it's still about going to the goblin village, they are a bit over half way there. If we assume that the pages will be coming out at a constant pace over the entire life of the comic (they will probably not, Elli used to have a posting schedule), we're probably looking at another 10-15 years before this wrap up.

If we don't go by the map, but assume we're halfway through (a common thing to assume when guestimating), and we assume Elli picks up the pace to old standards again, that would be 20 years.

If we go by plot, I have no real idea. The Sacred One has been presented as the main threat, but in reality it's probably Kore & Junior. How close are those to being beaten? I can't really tell. Dies are at his darkest point, so if we go by a standard heroes journey, his arc is probably halfway there.

So my guess is that this will be an unfinished story.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:06 pm

Hope_Caswell wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:28 pm
Dendr wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:50 am I'm not sure if this is correct place to discuss such a thing, but still.

Yes. Easily. The author of this comic needs to recruit some additional artists and writers (meaning mid-level writers remaining under the author's full editorial control), as the story of Goblins is much too large to be told by only a single person. The fact that this has not been done (and perhaps cannot be, given finances and logistics and the author's social anxieties) inevitably leads to absurd levels of delay, and a high probability of the story NEVER getting completed. glances over at George R.R. Martin and the plan to split up the next ASOIF novel AGAIN, because a 7-volume saga is clearly not enough when we're only on 5 existing volumes
Elli already tried hiring someone else do the coloring to speed things up. She felt like she didn't get enough out of things creatively or something like that, so she got rid of the guy. No way is she ever going to hire writers and/or artists.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:28 am

RocketScientist wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:06 pm Elli already tried hiring someone else do the coloring to speed things up. She felt like she didn't get enough out of things creatively or something like that, so she got rid of the guy. No way is she ever going to hire writers and/or artists.
I remember loving the colorist's style during that run (as exemplified by the page when we last saw Dies).
A shame it didn't continue.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:57 pm

Arles wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:28 am
RocketScientist wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:06 pm Elli already tried hiring someone else do the coloring to speed things up. She felt like she didn't get enough out of things creatively or something like that, so she got rid of the guy. No way is she ever going to hire writers and/or artists.
I remember loving the colorist's style during that run (as exemplified by the page when we last saw Dies).
A shame it didn't continue.
Yeah, it was Cheyenne Wright, who also colors Girl Genius. He was great.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:08 am

Apart from the IMEs, and armour forshadowing, we really could go with no colour at this point. It has been over a month since the last update.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:49 am

RocketScientist wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:57 pm Yeah, it was Cheyenne Wright, who also colors Girl Genius. He was great.
Didn't know his name, thanks. Following him on twitter now.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:26 pm

Just FYI, Elli is in the hospital right now. Send good thoughts.

Relevant Twitter thread:
► Show Spoiler
edit: She's out of the hospital now. :)