October 1st, 2022 -- "minMAXIMUM"

Discuss the comic here!
wordelo
Mutters to Themself

October 1st, 2022 -- "minMAXIMUM"

Post by wordelo » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:54 am

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-16-2022

Been a while since I named one.

WOW! I mean I think we all knew where this was going. I had no idea that truth thing would be so powerful.

What else could he have said?

The Sacred is destroyed
everyone is happy

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: October 1st, 2022 -- "minMAXIMUM"

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:54 am

Speaking of... They should really stop fucking around with this hallucination door and go attend to that.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:22 am

without perception?

i found minmax astonishing perceptive.
He noticed first he "sees" Kin.
His battle situation perception is among the best and only beaten by "back-row" fighters, who have it easier seeing more images of the battlefield than front-row fighters.

he was perceptive enough to help Vorpal.
While Vorpal's friends got too used to the situation and started to ignore Vorpal for the daily cahts.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 am

Got to admit. That's a weird take on godhood...

Kinda makes me want to see Herbert...
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Panando
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Panando » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:51 pm

Clearly this follows typical wish granting rules: where anything wished for will be subverted unless it's very reasonable.

I'm princess of blankletland: Okay, you're trapped in a hallucination where you're a princess.

Kin has legs: K, they feel really weird, she doesn't know how to use them, and she hates it.

Kin has her tail back: Yeah okay that's reasoinable, kin has her tail back.

I'm literally a god: Okay, with your new godly intellect you accidentally disprove your own existence.

sshipway
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by sshipway » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Looks like Kin has back her original tail, not the super-invulnerable maze-of-many replacement one.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:38 am

sshipway wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:27 pm Looks like Kin has back her original tail, not the super-invulnerable maze-of-many replacement one.
I really can't tell. It does not look like the "dense" one anymore. Nor does it look like her original one. Kin's design has changed quite a bit over time. I remember a time when her breasts was bolted directly to her collar bones. That has changed, for instance.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:33 am

Oh dear. This is an entirely appropriate endpoint to a character's quest for ultimate power (compare/contrast Vaarsuvius from Order of the Stick, where that concept goes in a different direction). The solution is obvious though... Kin just needs to cast Prestidigitation to make her armor turquoise, then say "Minmax reappears before me in his human form and is wearing purple armor which no longer changes colors". Then she recasts Presto to change her color to green, and now they're both safe from the door anymore (perhaps before doing that part she can say "the door is open" so that they'll be able to move on).

By the way, this appears to contradict Gellin's statement from Page 13 of 2020, "Any mortal who looks upon a god disintegrates". Either Minmax wasn't really a god (semi-probable, if the truth enchantment is localized and not an actual cosmos-altering wish), Kin wasn't looking at him (extremely unlikely), Kin isn't mortal (even more unlikely), or the slightly stoned goblin-angel reported the properties of godhood inaccurately for one of a hundred reasons.

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:55 pm

Now it is also quite possible that Minmax was snatched away by the 'real' gods to explain the whole thing about not directly manifesting personally on the fragile mortal plane...
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:57 am

Hope_Caswell wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:33 am Oh dear. This is an entirely appropriate endpoint to a character's quest for ultimate power (compare/contrast Vaarsuvius from Order of the Stick, where that concept goes in a different direction). The solution is obvious though... Kin just needs to cast Prestidigitation to make her armor turquoise, then say "Minmax reappears before me in his human form and is wearing purple armor which no longer changes colors". Then she recasts Presto to change her color to green, and now they're both safe from the door anymore (perhaps before doing that part she can say "the door is open" so that they'll be able to move on).

By the way, this appears to contradict Gellin's statement from Page 13 of 2020, "Any mortal who looks upon a god disintegrates". Either Minmax wasn't really a god (semi-probable, if the truth enchantment is localized and not an actual cosmos-altering wish), Kin wasn't looking at him (extremely unlikely), Kin isn't mortal (even more unlikely), or the slightly stoned goblin-angel reported the properties of godhood inaccurately for one of a hundred reasons.
Or she can just touch the turquoise door text. It's right there.

Good point about the disintegration. I think this further solidifies that this is just a bad hallucination trip.

Or Elli just forgot.

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

OK. I did not see that coming.

Minimax was touching turquoise when he says "I am literally a god", so he becomes "literally a god" (which is sort of open to interpretation: but it is not the same as "I am a god", clearly because Kin didn't disintegrate by looking upon a God). He has changed colour to purple and white (and his arms are doing something weird). Is he "touching white" when he says "It is a medium in which, reflections of consciousness misunderstand their existence!" Because if that is a "Speak False"... does that mean he now understands his existence? Or has he been teleported away to understand his existence?? Or... or... gah! Questions abound.

Eagerly awaiting the next comic.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:23 am

Well, Minmax is no longer wearing Turquoise, so that's something.

I'm still confused about the purpose of the "Speak Truth" part of the door. If anything, I would have thought that the characters need to touch white in order to undo the effects of turquoise (by speaking what is true in reality).

Too bad I don't think I'll ever find out. The more I reflected on the previous page, the more I decided that I'm no longer going to be checking this website for updates. I'm okay with the Drizzt rip-offs objectifying female characters because the joke is how unrealistic they are. But there have been 3 legitimate female characters who have joined the protagonists: Saves a Fox, who accidentally exposed her breasts; Idle, who is forced to sleep with Bowst every day to keep him from dying; and Kin, who is introduced as an interesting character dealing with the trauma of rape but is now portrayed as helpless and naked in front of her male party members as part of a joke (that I doubt many people even found funny).

So, yeah. Peace out.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:56 pm

If I were Kin, I'd just touch the white on the door and say "Minmax said he was literally a god." Which means he didn't say that. Problem solved.

FWIW, I didn't find the "joke" last comic funny, either.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:24 am

This door magic isn't consistent.

When MM "became" a God, he was very much changed (at least from Kin's point of view that we see). When she had legs she was changed from both points of view.

But when Kin "became" a princess, she was unchanged from MM's point of view. He didn't know she was a princess. It would have been more consistent if he suddenly saw her dressed as a princess.

Also, we could see that in her mind she was someplace else, in some blanket kingdom, but for MM she was right there with him. So in that case it was very clear delusional mind altering magic that affected only Kin, but in the other two cases it seems to be actual reality or at least a delusion that affects both.

Maybe it is a delusion but in the first case MM made the saving-throw to resist the magic, and in the other cases both failed?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 pm

I've interpreted this as a point of view thing. We're supposed to see things from MinMax's perspective, I guess.

I can't wait for them to be done with this.

Dendr
Mutters to Themself

Post by Dendr » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 am

Generic wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 pmI can't wait for them to be done with this.
At least we can be sure that Future Minmax exists. And he can speak, as we hasn't seen this colour of his gauntlet yet (if my eyes don't lie):
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-3-2020

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:24 am

Dendr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 am(...) And he can speak, as we hasn't seen this colour of his gauntlet yet (if my eyes don't lie):
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-3-2020
It seems to me that the armor in the comic you linked is the same as the current armor color (~turquoise).
The similarity is greater in previous pages when Minmax is somehow shadowed, like in the 4th panel (especially his hand) of this page.