September 27, 2022 -- "Try Saying Something that Isn't True"

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

September 27, 2022 -- "Try Saying Something that Isn't True"

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:12 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2022

I never would have come up with that theory.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Re: September 27, 2022 -- "Try Saying Something that Isn't True"

Post by Hope_Caswell » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:08 pm

I wonder if having "her" tail back automatically means Kin also loses the legs. If MM had just said she had "a" tail, this would be a pretty obvious way to turn her from a three-appendage "totally not a you-wantee" into the five-appendage variety.

Anyway, if Minmax doesn't try to use this to give himself another combat bonus, he might as well just say "I am not Minmax the Unstoppable Warrior anymore". But of course, there has to be some kind of limit on this level of reality alteration. Either the effects of the door end a short distance from the door, or it only grants some limited number of "wishes" for truths or falsehoods. Maybe the design on the door will change to indicate this.

Just what other turquoise truths can MM enact here? "I have both my eyes"? "I have all the gold I can carry"? "I am wearing a crown of plus a squillion charisma"?

..."I know exactly where to find Kickasso alive and well"?

Oh, and one more thing. If white equals lies and Minmax equals truth... this would be the ideal place to have Kore show up. Ideal from our perspective, that is, not so much Kore's.

sensate
Remains Silent

Post by sensate » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 pm

Wow

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 pm

we need someone to say "we know the truth about what's happening to reality and why, and we know what to do and how to stop Kore."

Game and story breaking powers here.

But I fear Minmax will tell Kin about undies, she'll ask what they are, he replies "some typically white clothing
, a bit like mini-pants", and hen try to speak a truth..
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 pm But I fear Minmax will tell Kin about undies, she'll ask what they are, he replies "some typically white clothing
Yeah, MinMax wearing a color-changing armor in a "color-coded" room is quite terrifying. Also, this begs the question what size of the aforementioned colored surface has to be in order to take effect? Would this room devolve into a "let's find the smallest part of equipment that is white/turqoise and happened to be touching you while speaking" of DM/player shenanigans?

(Also, we can safely assume Minmax's undergarment is not white, assuming he wears anything under that armor. Which he should. )
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:08 am

Inspired wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am
Krulle wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 pm But I fear Minmax will tell Kin about undies, she'll ask what they are, he replies "some typically white clothing
Yeah, MinMax wearing a color-changing armor in a "color-coded" room is quite terrifying. Also, this begs the question what size of the aforementioned colored surface has to be in order to take effect? Would this room devolve into a "let's find the smallest part of equipment that is white/turqoise and happened to be touching you while speaking" of DM/player shenanigans?

(Also, we can safely assume Minmax's undergarment is not white, assuming he wears anything under that armor. Which he should. )
You seriously think a murder hobo undergarment would stay white for as long as MinMax has been at it?

Also. He started out with a loin cloth. I think there are no undergarments.

So, is Kin getting her non exploded tail back now? Even if it's only temporary/in MinMax's mind? Speaking of... Is MinMax just now hallucinating Kin's vulva?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Plays with Fire
Remains Silent

Post by Plays with Fire » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:07 am

It is not impossible that this door will make Kim remember her birthday gift

sshipway
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by sshipway » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:58 pm

My first thought was to get Minmax to say "Kin's collar has fallen off"

But if MM realises that he basically has an infinite-wishes-machine things could get very, very messy indeed.

Though, as Princess Blanket has shown us, the effect may be completely delusional rather than in reality

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:37 pm

Bwahahahha! I'm still laughing my sides.. My Sides!!!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 am

sshipway wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:58 pm Though, as Princess Blanket has shown us, the effect may be completely delusional rather than in reality
We'll see if her legs are a fictional episode.. .
But Princess Blanket had to be delusional. There is no basis in (the comic's) reality for that.
But legs? Yeah.
Collar falling off? Sure. After the legs, that should be easy-peasy.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 pm

Whelp... That was something... First we have a thing that definitely didn't "come true", unless we take it to having "become true" in least effort way.

And then we have a whole hog transformation that somehow happens, not only in a way that was not included in the saying Kin did not "just get legs", she got the whole mess of human lower half (probably thanks to MinMax's thoughts influencing the "truth")...

Eeexcept she didn't get human lower half (probably thanks to MinMax's thoughts influencing the "truth"), 'cose we can clearly see she has non-human number of toes.

What we don't see (an for an acceptable reason, rule 34 can be where it wants to be [if something pebbles itself with sex, 'cose sex sell, it clearly lacks anything else to sell, IMHO]) is anything between there, which probably should still be very snakey anyway.

Buuuuut then MinMax is very much seeing something despite the coverup. And while yes, we can say it's because Kin is "flailing around", although it's pictured as her just holding her legs up and flailing them, which would situate the pouch even more firmly between them...

Lets just say this page was so much groany cringe that I just can't with it... There's jokes, there's setups for jokes and then there's just force feeding the F out of the comic to get to the "funny" joke you really want to be there...
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 am

Velgar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:08 pm Whelp... That was something... First we have a thing that definitely didn't "come true", unless we take it to having "become true" in least effort way.

And then we have a whole hog transformation that somehow happens, not only in a way that was not included in the saying Kin did not "just get legs", she got the whole mess of human lower half (probably thanks to MinMax's thoughts influencing the "truth")...

Eeexcept she didn't get human lower half (probably thanks to MinMax's thoughts influencing the "truth"), 'cose we can clearly see she has non-human number of toes.

What we don't see (an for an acceptable reason, rule 34 can be where it wants to be [if something pebbles itself with sex, 'cose sex sell, it clearly lacks anything else to sell, IMHO]) is anything between there, which probably should still be very snakey anyway.

Buuuuut then MinMax is very much seeing something despite the coverup. And while yes, we can say it's because Kin is "flailing around", although it's pictured as her just holding her legs up and flailing them, which would situate the pouch even more firmly between them...

Lets just say this page was so much groany cringe that I just can't with it... There's jokes, there's setups for jokes and then there's just force feeding the F out of the comic to get to the "funny" joke you really want to be there...
At least Saves a Fox nudity had a pretty funny twist to it. I also found this page a hard read. It's nothing I enjoy.

Let's remember that first thing she did after killing Goblinslayer, who raped her I might add, was to cover herself up. Now she is naked, spread legs, helpless and begging. As if there was any doubt to the purpose of the page, we're treated to a money shot. The "joke" would have worked just as well without that panel.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:27 am

Generic wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 am At least Saves a Fox nudity had a pretty funny twist to it. I also found this page a hard read. It's nothing I enjoy.

Let's remember that first thing she did after killing Goblinslayer, who raped her I might add, was to cover herself up. Now she is naked, spread legs, helpless and begging. As if there was any doubt to the purpose of the page, we're treated to a money shot. The "joke" would have worked just as well without that panel.
There's indeed no question what was the point of this Strip. It's just that the comic wanted to have its cookie and eat it too...
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:33 pm

Gah. I didn't really want to comment on this page. It's a bad one.

But I have now, and so need to explain myself.

Firstly, why now? Well, someone else's reaction (in another thread) makes me feel like I need to say something. This page is a sore point for me as it feels like the story and characters have been sacrificed for the sake of sophomoric humour.

Why is it bad? Of all the jokes that could have been run with... the one selected is vulgar, crude, and frankly not very creative.

Worse still, it most certainly does not fit with Kin's character. She has a high intelligence: so the idea that suddenly having legs would make her fall over is ridiculous. Logical constructs aside, if I run with the roleplay theme, she should have got a saving throw based on her dexterity. OK, she fails her saving throw. Kin's character would have ensured her nudity was not revealed: by controlling her legs and not sticking them in the air. That "throw for control" would have been based off her intelligence.

Assuming the worse happens and she fails her saving throw for control of her new legs, she most certainly would not have been comfortable with Minmax just standing there: early arc Kin would either continue failing around wildly, shouting at Minmax, and generally trying to protect her modesty; a later arc Kin (she has been in the Maze of Many for an untold amount of time) has many options ranging from saying "Minimax, close your eyes" to casting a spell to blind Minimax. I would definitely expect her to be somewhere between uncomfortable to angry (he's just standing there ogling!). The most logical interaction with Kin losing control of her legs would have been to say "Gah, I can't control them... Minimax close..." and in the next panel Minimax has already closed his eyes (holding Kin's legs for comic effect) and is saying "Sorry!". This works really well because Kin and Minimax are meant to "see" each other: so he would sense her discomfort and act accordingly.

Additionally, does Minimax's actions fit with his character? I posit "NO!" While Minimax takes on the appearance of a manly man, wanting nothing but the ladies, he shows his true character when he throws Goblinslayer out the window of the bar. The Minimax that we all know and love would have, when confronted with Kin's nudity, voluntarily closed his eyes while saying "Sorry!" and then said "Kin has pants". Kin would have probably said "Thank you, now I hate pants too. Can I please have my tail back?".

Another big problem is what this interaction does for the story. It is a huge backwards step for character development: neither Minimax nor Kin show any character development here (Kin not caring is NOT character development: it is out of character).

What do I recommend? Retconjuration. Sometimes, as an author, we need to change things. The problem with a webcomic, you don't get the luxury of re-reading the entire thing before you commit... and sometimes (because you're in your brainspace) you might miss something. Mistakes happen: it's what we choose to do about them that defines us. Advantageously, stuff on the internet changes all the time. I think altering this page to synergise with the characters is SO IMPORTANT, that I actually bothered to say something.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:50 am

I've frankly given up on Kin's character right now. I have no idea who the maze of many made her to be. I was not there to see it. She has returned to a man who wronged her (MinMax) so I guess something has happened.

She is also not overly verbose when stressed anymore. And I guess this would qualify as stress?

So, this is a new character we've not seen yet. Since she had a lot of character development off screen. This is: Damsel-In-Compromising-Positions-Kin.

I don't care very much for this Kin, nor this joke, and really wish the comic would just move away from this before I also jump ship.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:25 am

One thing I have to say in defense of this... Strip... (Yes, old already, but I'm running with I can get a leg up on this comic's humour) Is that "why is Kin so comfortable with showing herself?" is... Actually somewhat understandable.

While she is feminine humanoid (especially given a pair of odd number toed legs), she is in all intents and purposes still a monster.

As we had early on, sex is not really that interesting to yuan-ti. Their idea of "happy times" is that a huge mob of snakes literally pile on one snake and go to town, because pheromones and stuff. Heck, Goblinslayer literally beat all the romance out of it, if she had any such notions towards it anyhow.

And even the way she has dressed has not had any "loin guard". Granted, this is more due to the scales hiding any orifices, but I'm not completely sure if them being "hidden" has served any modesty rules for yuan-ti rather than having been a biological thing to protect it from all sorts of debris while slithering.

Heck, even humans have still a bunch of cultures that don't really sweat nudity. Most often in places where covering said places would cause you to just sweat even more, but still. It's not really that foreign that Kin isn't bothered by showing something that generally hidden. Especially since her way of thinking is supposed to be foreign.

But I do agree she should have figured legs way faster than she... Well, even didn't.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:33 am

Generic wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:50 am I've frankly given up on Kin's character right now. I have no idea who the maze of many made her to be. I was not there to see it. She has returned to a man who wronged her (MinMax) so I guess something has happened.

She is also not overly verbose when stressed anymore. And I guess this would qualify as stress?

So, this is a new character we've not seen yet. Since she had a lot of character development off screen. This is: Damsel-In-Compromising-Positions-Kin.

I don't care very much for this Kin, nor this joke, and really wish the comic would just move away from this before I also jump ship.
I don't see anything damsel about her behavior. She acts much the way a male character would...reacting to the real threat of Kore with a quick mental "oh crap" and then some quick thinking, falling into the mute trap and doing what little she could to deal with it, and now being caught in a compromising position and being rational about just wanting to get past it. None of this is damsel, nor is it unfeminine, it's just competent. Which makes sense, if she spent a long time adventuring with only other women. Nobody had the right to "be the girl" in that situation, they were all equals, so they all womanned up and dealt with it. All this seems fine to me, unless I've completely forgotten some major incident. Flip the genders on this relationship and it would change basically nothing.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:40 am

Damsel as in helpless and sexualized. MinMax was caught pants down, but he was not spread legs, a panel devoted to his crotch, and with another character peeking at him.