01 October 2021 - Kin Catches Up

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

01 October 2021 - Kin Catches Up

Post by Glemp » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:22 am

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-14-2021

Not a lot to say here, Kin avoids talking to MM about...you know, MM recaps the current plot arc, and Kin reminds us that she has a friend in Hell.
Last edited by Glemp on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 01 October 2021 - Kin Catches Up

Post by Krulle » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:05 am

correct permalink: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-14-2021

Also: good thinking, Kin.
I like the idea of "the Sacred" conquering Grinnorarcen's (Not-Walter) realm, or whereever Grinnorarcen throws/brings the a r.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:17 am

Kin doesn't just have a friend in hell, she has a person in hell who gave her his true name on the explicit promise that she wouldn't use it to control him. If she summons him using it, even for the sake of saving her entire universe, she's breaking a solemn vow, and the laws of Greek tragedy indicate that she deserves to suffer punishment for that act, however well-intentioned it was.

As for the conquering of realms, I'm pretty sure this campaign setting has only one hell, where all of the demons and devils reside. So the Sacred is from hell, and so is Not-Walter. If he takes the axe back, he's ending the invasion, not just changing its target. Of course, it's entirely possible the Sacred is in a position to punish a mere pit fiend for thwarting his efforts in this way. Grinnoraracen would likely refuse to perform such a task, and Kin would be forced to force him. Even if the cosmos doesn't punish her for that act, it should deeply trouble her to exploit a "magic leash" over someone else when she's so terrified of anyone ever doing it to her.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:15 am

Hope_Caswell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:17 am Kin doesn't just have a friend in hell, she has a person in hell who gave her his true name on the explicit promise that she wouldn't use it to control him.
Then one begs the question, would she be using it to controm him?

Since we are talking about different reality Not-Walter. Sure, it could be that all hells are shared between realms, so Not-Walter is would be the same, but... Even then he clearly exists on multiple levels simultaneously, which again makes one wonder about the nature of existance between each individual manifestation of Not-Walter... >:?
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:01 am

Hope_Caswell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:17 am Kin doesn't just have a friend in hell, she has a person in hell who gave her his true name on the explicit promise that she wouldn't use it to control him.
Kin did not promise anything to Grinnorarcen (Not-Walter):
https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/03232012/

To the current page:
Kin stated "IF I am able to summon him", so she first needs to summon...
Knowing Herbert, he sends Not-Walter, so that may be possible to do...

But anyway, panel 5:
Kin has just heard that the hellstrands are a sign of this realm turning to hell.
And she stated "Your entire world is going to end?" Not "Our entire world is going to end?"

Why is her world not ending?

Are we having an alternative Kin here?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:07 am

Yep, I don't really see why would Not-Walter willingly stop a hellish expansion. Unless, of course, messing up an even bigger evil's plan is just pure glee for a lower ranking denizen, this is hell we are talking about.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 am

Krulle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:01 am And she stated "Your entire world is going to end?" Not "Our entire world is going to end?"

That's a good catch. She would call it like it is.

Sure could be like "Your world is ending and you're asking me about what I was about to say?! Really?"

Buuuut... It wasn't... It was just "Your world"...
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Writes-critically » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:17 am

Not-walter may be used as an indirect way of getting in touch with another demon from deeper layer of hell.
My theory is that Dies horribly will reunite with the other goblins, tell them about the she-demon his soul was in possession of and that she was banished to the layer of hell that even demons are afraid of. Sounds like a perfect place for a certain axe prison, no? Later they will somehow conjure her back and order her to get the axe there for example in exchange for freedom. Or Dies horribly will live up to his name by taking the axe and teleporting to join his she-demon master thus damning himself for eternal torment in order to keep the demon boss imprisoned.
There is this whole jade teapot thing in the story, it can be used as one-way teleportation device into hell if they somehow manage to get it out of the Maze of many.

Of course then Goblins webcomic may turn out to be Goblins webcomic again and go like: "This is called axe of Prissan, which means "prison" in some ancient language, therefore it can never be contained! Haha gotcha such good writing- ohno whats that its a sword made out of oblivion that is going to be blessed by the summoned Goblin-angel chick in order to become a weapon dealing holy damage during the final battle thus becoming capable of destroying the big bad boss for good noooooo"
Okay this one probably went too far with criticism and theorycrafting lol. But dont say the linguistic joke is not possible, the "he knows 37 ways of killing a guy using thumbs" joke existed. And was years in the making.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:11 pm

Velgar wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 am
Krulle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:01 am And she stated "Your entire world is going to end?" Not "Our entire world is going to end?"

That's a good catch. She would call it like it is.

Sure could be like "Your world is ending and you're asking me about what I was about to say?! Really?"

Buuuut... It wasn't... It was just "Your world"...
Yeah, it should be "Our entire world is going to end?!" or "The entire world is going to end?!"

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:29 am

Writes-critically wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:17 amBut dont say the linguistic joke is not possible, the "he knows 37 ways of killing a guy using thumbs" joke existed. And was years in the making.
That is 38 ways, don't underestimate Minmax! :lol:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 am

Writes-critically wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:17 am Not-walter may be used as an indirect way of getting in touch with another demon from deeper layer of hell.
My theory is that Dies horribly will reunite with the other goblins, tell them about the she-demon his soul was in possession of and that she was banished to the layer of hell that even demons are afraid of. Sounds like a perfect place for a certain axe prison, no? Later they will somehow conjure her back and order her to get the axe there for example in exchange for freedom. Or Dies horribly will live up to his name by taking the axe and teleporting to join his she-demon master thus damning himself for eternal torment in order to keep the demon boss imprisoned.
There is this whole jade teapot thing in the story, it can be used as one-way teleportation device into hell if they somehow manage to get it out of the Maze of many.

Of course then Goblins webcomic may turn out to be Goblins webcomic again and go like: "This is called axe of Prissan, which means "prison" in some ancient language, therefore it can never be contained! Haha gotcha such good writing- ohno whats that its a sword made out of oblivion that is going to be blessed by the summoned Goblin-angel chick in order to become a weapon dealing holy damage during the final battle thus becoming capable of destroying the big bad boss for good noooooo"
Okay this one probably went too far with criticism and theorycrafting lol. But dont say the linguistic joke is not possible, the "he knows 37 ways of killing a guy using thumbs" joke existed. And was years in the making.
How they go about it is not a important as how it's told. It bothers me that we needed Kin to come here and remind everyone that the world is ending, because noone seems to care really. The hell strands around the border of the comic was scary as hell for a bit, but then they just maxed out and remained like that... forever. This is the shark from Jaws, if it never actually ate anyone, and the theme music built up, built up, and has now been blasting at 110% volume for 45 minutes of the movie. (with a brief stop while the characters went to another dimension to get a bigger boat or something?)
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm

Generic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 am How they go about it is not a important as how it's told. It bothers me that we needed Kin to come here and remind everyone that the world is ending, because noone seems to care really. The hell strands around the border of the comic was scary as hell for a bit, but then they just maxed out and remained like that... forever. This is the shark from Jaws, if it never actually ate anyone, and the theme music built up, built up, and has now been blasting at 110% volume for 45 minutes of the movie. (with a brief stop while the characters went to another dimension to get a bigger boat or something?)
I'd actually blame this one the D&D nature of the comic. Sure the Goblins used to be NPCs and it's REALLY not clear if they have players at the moment or if they are still DM controlled NPCs, but now with levels...

Buuuut... In roleplaying and adventure games in general, the world is pretty much always ending one way or another and the heroes still have time to sit down for few days to fish for that ***-level fish while waiting their iron to melt in some random furnace on the side to finally get that final ingredient to the puzzlebox Easter egg you can just put on display next to some other stuff you spent hundreds of hours grinding...

It's just... Yeah. World is ending.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:19 am

Am I the only one impressed that Minmax actually has a grasp on the overall plot? As a low-INT character and a PC motivated more by EXP than completing a story, I figured he was more-or-less just along for the ride. I guess Minmax is growing up.

I also noticed the "your" reality line from Kin. But . . . that's definitely OUR Kin. When she first appeared in the dungeon, Minmax could sense her regret, and she could sense which door he had chosen. Later, we saw that her IME includes the necklace Minmax gave her.

Maybe spending so much time in another realm with Alt-Kins made her feel less connected to her own reality. Maybe she's decided to help fix the imbalance between Evil and Good realms and wants Minmax's help. Or maybe it's just an odd wording and I'm reading too much into it.

ASFreefall
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ASFreefall » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:43 am

ForgetsKeys wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:19 am Am I the only one impressed that Minmax actually has a grasp on the overall plot? As a low-INT character and a PC motivated more by EXP than completing a story, I figured he was more-or-less just along for the ride. I guess Minmax is growing up.
I came over here to point out the same thing. Of all the characters to start spouting exposition, MinMax would probably be the very last - we're talking about someone who can't even dress himself!

I wonder if it's leading up to some kind of "oh yeah, I've been paying attention to everything that's being going on the entire time - just no one's ever asked me," or if it's more of a one time 'hey, look at the dumb character accurately sum up the plot.'

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 pm

It's probably Herbert telling Minmax's player what to say. I don't think MM is this knowledgeable in-character.