21 August 2021 - Page 11 - Methodical Progress

Post by Tofu » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Link to page is here

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: 21 August 2021 - Page 11 - Methodical Progress

Post by Tofu » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:28 pm

I feel that Kore is still capable at getting through dungeons and the traps, but his superb kit at the beginning of the webcomic is tattered, wrecked and damaged, as is he. The gleaming exterior is now a shattered wreck of its former glory.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:45 pm

Yeah. But why did he ditch his shoe?

Or rather... Gaiter?

His... Jack gaiter...

Worn outside of a sabaton.

Man... Kore sure dresses wierd.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:40 am

Might be for "stealth" purposes. A cloth softening the glank of armoured boot. But the cloth was in tatters to begin with and there might be some malformation on the unobtainium boot that makes it unusable after the saws...

Or he just had some brain fart. It's pretty breezy in his head nowadays...
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 am

Generic wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:45 pm (...)
Worn outside of a sabaton.

Man... Kore sure dresses wierd.
It has a purpose: letting opponents thing they can hinder his movements hitting a non-protected area.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:55 am

Just noticed something: he is taking off his left shoe in 3rd panel, but in the rest of the page, he walks with his right bare foot.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:41 am

Sssh! Don't tell Elli. Would you rather her fix that or the story moving on?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 am

Bapuvitttssf wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:55 am Just noticed something: he is taking off his left shoe in 3rd panel, but in the rest of the page, he walks with his right bare foot.
I like your answer, Generic.

But I think it is correct.
The foot in panel 3 is on the right side (as seen by us, towards the right side of the image). You can even see the leather cover covering his foot.
The big round knob we see seems to be his knee shield (of his right knee, the leg is angled, towards Kore's left, our right).

Hence I believe the panel is correct, but indeed, once I read your comment, I saw it too, and it took me a bit to understand how it's drawn.

And I don't want Elli to spend time to draw a new panel that shows it clearer.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 pm

So, it's the poleyn on the right leg? That makes sense. I just thought it was the left shoe and it had a semi detached metal sole.

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Writes-critically » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:23 am

Shoe aside this page is another good example of what's wrong with this comic and the reason why updates are so infrequent and feel underwhelming and/or inconsequential. This entire page could have been just two panels, first one being Kore taking off the shoe while standing by the first sawblade and the second one him reaching out for the shoe while it's stuck by the ground in the third sawblade while walking away from it. We, the readers, could have easily figured out what happened in between the panels, even without a panel of written sound effects. We dont need 3 panels to be able to tell that a sawblade is going to be sharp and dangerous, let alone details of every move afterwards.

Golden rule of visual storytelling is "show, don't tell". This comic's pages seem to very often go hard either into "show show show" or "tell tell tell". I stick around out of nostalgia for Book #2 which got me hooked up. I so wish we could go back to those simpler times, where the story was more engaging. Following it felt more rewarding than nowadays. :(

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:19 am

Writes-critically wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:23 am Shoe aside this page is another good example of what's wrong with this comic and the reason why updates are so infrequent and feel underwhelming and/or inconsequential. This entire page could have been just two panels, first one being Kore taking off the shoe while standing by the first sawblade and the second one him reaching out for the shoe while it's stuck by the ground in the third sawblade while walking away from it. We, the readers, could have easily figured out what happened in between the panels, even without a panel of written sound effects. We dont need 3 panels to be able to tell that a sawblade is going to be sharp and dangerous, let alone details of every move afterwards.

Golden rule of visual storytelling is "show, don't tell". This comic's pages seem to very often go hard either into "show show show" or "tell tell tell". I stick around out of nostalgia for Book #2 which got me hooked up. I so wish we could go back to those simpler times, where the story was more engaging. Following it felt more rewarding than nowadays. :(
And here I am, wondering why are following Kore at all. Ok. He is making progress through the dungeon losing gear as he does so. But we have known that for a while now. Only difference is that this time he is not in pursuit of anyone. That really makes the telling of his progress superfluous.