end of the Goblin Angel's arc [1].

I still want to know the question.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Re: 14 June 2021 — I command thee to...

Post by Velgar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 am

Mmke. Sweet and simple. But got to agree with Trolls. The last bit was all unnecessary and plain douchy. I would have kept him around for a while and just chatted away for equally no good reason. >:?
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

ASFreefall
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by ASFreefall » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 am

Agreed on both counts - it's a smart way to game the system, as the angel seems to be a good creature, and by refusing to hear the question was basically forced to give Thaco a pass; but there really was no reason for him to go rub it in her face.

I definitely feel like our poor angel is just waiting for what has been, by all accounts, a really awful day at work to be over.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:30 am

ASFreefall wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 am Agreed on both counts - it's a smart way to game the system, as the angel seems to be a good creature, and by refusing to hear the question was basically forced to give Thaco a pass; but there really was no reason for him to go rub it in her face.

I definitely feel like our poor angel is just waiting for what has been, by all accounts, a really awful day at work to be over.
I mean, I feel like it was warranted to rub it in her face. It might not have been her intent, but she pretty much used questions she knew the rest of them would answer incorrectly based on their personalities. Which is really, really douchey.

She might be "good" in some sense, but... the way she goes about her job would be forcing people into death unless they miraculously cheat the system (as 3/4 of our members of the GAP did).

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:12 am

she pretty much used questions she knew the rest of them would answer incorrectly based on their personalities. Which is really, really douchey.
Exactly. In fact she chose the ONE question she KNEW they would never get correct, based on their personalities. Heck Vorpoal KNEW the 'right' answer and she talked him into changing his response even though she liked him. She admired Ears and still picked something he was programmed to deny. It was more than douchey and Thaco made the right call. She would have done the same to him. Just drives me crazy we'll never know what his question was! :|

Plays with Fire
Remains Silent

Post by Plays with Fire » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 am

Derkins wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:12 am she chose the ONE question she KNEW they would never get correct, based on their personalities. Heck Vorpoal KNEW the 'right' answer and she talked him into changing his response even though she liked him. She admired Ears and still picked something he was programmed to deny. It was more than douchey and Thaco made the right call. She would have done the same to him. Just drives me crazy we'll never know what his question was! :|

Maybe the point from the start was to get them to give the wrong answer AND survive. We know that makes sense from a meta/narratif point of view, because that brings character development and it is just a dungeon room. So it makes sense for the comic.

But I'd argue that it also does make sense from a dungeon design perspective. It makes sense for a DM / entity that create dungeons to craft this kind of narrative. Trolls Mortals do not see the whole picture, but she knows that she works for the greater good, and the entity creating the dungeon know that Trolls Mortals won't try too hard to kill adventurers and that adventurers are ressourcefull.

So I think that the dungeon room is precisely intended to make the adventurers guess wrong (and give them reasons for introspection and character development) and leave alive. By cheating the way he does, by using his wisdom, Thaco bypass the entire point of the room. But he may very well be aware of that. Like he says, he's an old goblin. He surely deems unecessary to have the kind of character development provided by this room.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 am

Krulle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 pm Permalink: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-8-2021

end of the Goblin Angel's arc [1].

I still want to know the question.

Easy.

It's "What is the name of that wierd guardian guy KSellis mauled?".
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 am

I wonder though how that would be on Thaco's character sheet.

But indeed, that's a good answer anyway.

Then it's good Thaco didn't say "negative".

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 pm

I felt it wasn't so much Thaco rubbing it in the angel's face as it was the comic trying to portray Thaco as so B.A. he even orders around celestial beings. Kind of reminds me of the whole "monastery of one" idea when he first became a monk.

I also think the angel wasn't so much "douchey" as just lacked empathy for mortal creatures. Remember how she was confused when Complains tried very hard to not die? She has a different perspective on the matter than the goblins.

But that's just my interpretation of the characters. Looking forward to seeing what comes next in the story.

elkhantar
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by elkhantar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 am

I just love Thaco so much I had to log in again to say it :D

But yeah, it was a hellish day of work for our angel... I feel sorry for her.

Writes-critically
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Writes-critically » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am

Was the self-insert really necesarry?

Hi, first message here after years of lurking the comic. I could spend hours writing about my impressions of it but the latest story finally pushed me into registering here. Without further ado though:

It's pretty obvious that the Goblin angel character was supposed to be author's self-insert into the story. Motherly feelings towards goblin(s), favoring the lgbt character, jewerly colored like the trans flag (gems on the sword too), speech about accepting your true self identity and so on.
But could it not have been done a bit more subtely? There is already an entry for this webcomic on the "Bad webcomics wikia" and here we are following yet another negative trope writers tend to fall to.
Furthermore there seems to be little importance to this story arc in general, there are plethora of ways the team could have gotten a levelup and/or stat boosts. I'm guessing this is so that they are not too underleveled to face Kore without a golem-controlling helmet? About time we get some storylines resolved in here.

Unless angel chick is going to pass some justice and judgement onto Kore when they summon her (or should I use "them"?) during encounter, THEN I guess we could call this arc an important one. But still, could have been done differently.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Writes-critically wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am Was the self-insert really necesarry?

Hi, first message here after years of lurking the comic. I could spend hours writing about my impressions of it but the latest story finally pushed me into registering here. Without further ado though:

It's pretty obvious that the Goblin angel character was supposed to be author's self-insert into the story. Motherly feelings towards goblin(s), favoring the lgbt character, jewerly colored like the trans flag (gems on the sword too), speech about accepting your true self identity and so on.
But could it not have been done a bit more subtely? There is already an entry for this webcomic on the "Bad webcomics wikia" and here we are following yet another negative trope writers tend to fall to.
Furthermore there seems to be little importance to this story arc in general, there are plethora of ways the team could have gotten a levelup and/or stat boosts. I'm guessing this is so that they are not too underleveled to face Kore without a golem-controlling helmet? About time we get some storylines resolved in here.

Unless angel chick is going to pass some justice and judgement onto Kore when they summon her (or should I use "them"?) during encounter, THEN I guess we could call this arc an important one. But still, could have been done differently.
It's a side track, sure. But it's related to the main arc at least. I found this more progressive to the story than the wasp-hive Klik thing.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 am

Has ellipsis said this is a self insert? I think that she has more empathy than Trolls Mortals (dunno when that name was assigned, but it is awesome)

I think this arc was _incredibly_ pertinent. We have significant character development in Vorpal and Complains. We have character exposition for Ears and Plush. We now have a chief and a celestial summoning device. Everybody is now a level stronger. We had wonderful color for all characters. Lastly, it was a lot of fun to read and laugh at.

I am a little confused on how Thaco got by. I guess the “forcing her to choose whether he lives or dies” is the best explanation I have seen.

cbertrand
Mutters to Themself

Post by cbertrand » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 am

Has anybody else had the problem where the mobile webpage seems to not submit, then submits a second time?

I am not allowed to delete posts, so I am just editing the duplicate to something else.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 pm

cbertrand wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 am Has anybody else had the problem where the mobile webpage seems to not submit, then submits a second time?

I am not allowed to delete posts, so I am just editing the duplicate to something else.
Nope, but phpB is known to be laggy at times, resulting in the observed behaviour.

Also, you should now at least be close enough in post count to unlock the "delete post" feature (which is hidden as an "X" icon, next to the "edit" button=)

edit: note that contrary to the edit function, the delete function will not work if there is a reply to the post in the thread.
Only the last post of a thread can be deleted by the creator of said post, unless you're an admin or a mod with the corresponding privilege.