01 Feb. 2021 - Friendship stinks

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

01 Feb. 2021 - Friendship stinks

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:18 am

Update notification!

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2021

So,... spoiler alert! If you haven' read the comic, read it first!
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Starling
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 01 Feb. 2021 - Friendship stinks

Post by Starling » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 am

Ears's ears are back! And he looks badass with the blue flesh, it's like war paint!

But apparently he's part angel now. What are the implications of that? Also, touching angel flesh hurt Complains... Would that also affect Kore? He's not part demon but he is mostly made of souls. Maybe it would affect him somehow.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 am

That was unexpected. Felt kind of like when Kin got her tail back in the Maze. Seems almost... too easy? There's got to be a drawback for such an instant heal.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 am

Well, getting into hell in this state might be a tad more difficult. OR rather, once they are there, Ears will draw a lot more attention due to his "condition". A regular goblin might have been able to sneak around... Also, are they repulsed by living creatures only, or would the whole place affect them? I mean, Complains did not get to a heaven, but given the plot, chances are Ears will try to get into hell...

I also wonder whether this event will affect Ears' IME.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Frownsalot
Remains Silent

Post by Frownsalot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:43 am

Well.. if this isn't the definition of "friends will become enemies", I don't know..

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:08 am

Not gonna lie. I'm disappointed. :lol:
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:13 am

My last post didn't appear. Sorry, if a repost.

How Big Ears could know his ears are blue, without looking at mirror ? That's a bit disappointing.

catchesafish
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by catchesafish » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:43 am

extrabigmehdi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:13 am My last post didn't appear. Sorry, if a repost.

How Big Ears could know his ears are blue, without looking at mirror ? That's a bit disappointing.
He says his flesh is blue while looking at his arm. He doesn't specifically mention ears except to say they're back, which would be obvious when he felt their weight and, I imagine, started to hear properly again.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:23 am

I am so happy he didn't get a horn stuck to his side of the head :)
He looks really awesome now!

I don't think this will be the meaning of "friends become enemies", but it could maybe maybe if Complains continues his transformation into a demon... though I really hope it won't come to this!

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:35 am

Anyone know what extra abilities this might give Ears? Complains got instant healing, demonic knowledge, and can hear demons. I don't know how much of that is specifically based on D&D or if it's just Thuntonian lore. Idle thought that being part angel would give her a bunch of powers. I'm guessing Ears also gets healing abilities at the very least.

Inspired wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 am I also wonder whether this event will affect Ears' IME.
Looks like it from this page. The "FWASH" is outlined in blue, so maybe that's Ears' new IME.

Frownsalot wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:43 am Well.. if this isn't the definition of "friends will become enemies", I don't know..
I had a similar thought.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm so glad his Ears are back. Looking at him with Thaco's cloth wrapped around his head just made me feel sorry for him.

I agree with Starling that he looks like he's wearing war paint now. Very cool.

Solkarr
Remains Silent

Post by Solkarr » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm

Starling wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 am Ears's ears are back! And he looks badass with the blue flesh, it's like war paint!

But apparently he's part angel now. What are the implications of that? Also, touching angel flesh hurt Complains... Would that also affect Kore? He's not part demon but he is mostly made of souls. Maybe it would affect him somehow.
However, notice he is carrying the little soul piece that they rescued (broke off) from Kore, and it seems perfectly OK. I suspect that he doesn't directly affect Kore, however Kore will now have problems trying to attack him since he can only attack "evil", but even Kore will have a hard time declaring an angel to be evil.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:23 am

Solkarr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm however Kore will now have problems trying to attack him since he can only attack "evil", but even Kore will have a hard time declaring an angel to be evil.
Probably will view Ears as a fallen angel at best. And Ears being a goblin, aka monster, and even hanging with part-daemon Complains, it'll be all a ruse where a monster has gained a way to usurp the holy powers of an angel for their nefarious needs. He does not need to know how it happened, just that the knowledge of how to do it can't spread and he must defeat this abomination before it spreads its purity-tainting knowledge to other monsters... >:?
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 am That was unexpected. Felt kind of like when Kin got her tail back in the Maze. Seems almost... too easy? There's got to be a drawback for such an instant heal.
I think Kin's case is a bit different, since her injury was so crippling that she wouldn't have been able to play a part in the comic for a long time without some kind of fix, whereas Ears could have had longer, before getting his ears back. Let his loss affect his personality, deal with his pain, then eventually return them after he's had to cope without them for a while.

Starling
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Starling » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Glemp wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 am
Aegis J Hyena wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 am That was unexpected. Felt kind of like when Kin got her tail back in the Maze. Seems almost... too easy? There's got to be a drawback for such an instant heal.
I think Kin's case is a bit different, since her injury was so crippling that she wouldn't have been able to play a part in the comic for a long time without some kind of fix, whereas Ears could have had longer, before getting his ears back. Let his loss affect his personality, deal with his pain, then eventually return them after he's had to cope without them for a while.
I don't think it affected his personality or would even leave a mental scar, because he cut them off to save his friends. That's a good enough of a reason to never dwell on it negatively. If anything, his view of it would be positive. Hence, whether he gets his ears back now or much later or never would have never changed his character in any way.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:14 am

Starling wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:23 pm
Glemp wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 am
I don't think it affected his personality or would even leave a mental scar, because he cut them off to save his friends. That's a good enough of a reason to never dwell on it negatively. If anything, his view of it would be positive. Hence, whether he gets his ears back now or much later or never would have never changed his character in any way.
And that would be the clue that you should cut it out all together. If it did not affect his character, what is the point? We already knew he was self sacrificing and unconcerned with personal loss. Ears were cut off in the room before this, right? And now they're back. Them being gone was even more minimized by his head being covered by the blind fold for the little time.

If anything this made him less distinct from Dies.

"You know, that one? The goblin with the oddly coloured ears and hand replacement."
"You are not narrowing it down."
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:14 am

Ears and Complains now smell awful to each other. If it proves impossible for them to remain in each other's proximity, then one will go off by himself and found a new tribe, while the other remains as chief to the the reconstituted Cryptic Fall. Assuming that Ears finds some way to reproduce (I won't speculate further on this topic), this would lead to the two separate tribes gradually having more and more of their hereditary leaders be celestial-blooded or fiendish-blooded. Centuries later, these schismic tribes would likely go to war, one trying to wipe the other from the planet, and all because they have long forgotten that their ancestors were once close friends, before extraplanar energy came along and screwed everything up for them.

Hopefully, this rather unpleasant scenario will never actually be seen playing out anywhere other than in the Maze of Many. "Our" BE and CON will just deal with each other's mutual stinkyness, because that's what heroes (even angelically and demonically infused ones) do.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 am

It looks like we're moving to Discord now? I guess this is it for me, unless these forums linger. Because I'll not tag along. Bye.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:17 am

Generic wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 am It looks like we're moving to Discord now? I guess this is it for me, unless these forums linger. Because I'll not tag along. Bye.
There was some final choice made by someone, somewhere? Yeah. Not really the topic here, but I think at the moment it's free game as it might spell the "official" end to this forum. :shock:

The "Future of Forum" thread still had no definite answer on the matter. >:?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm

I'll remain here.
Leave the light on for me...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:28 am

Velgar wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:17 am
Generic wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 am It looks like we're moving to Discord now? I guess this is it for me, unless these forums linger. Because I'll not tag along. Bye.
There was some final choice made by someone, somewhere? Yeah. Not really the topic here, but I think at the moment it's free game as it might spell the "official" end to this forum. :shock:

The "Future of Forum" thread still had no definite answer on the matter. >:?
Yeah this sucks. They didn't even post on that thread or make an announcement.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 am

The site redesign has been a long time coming, and was always planned to promote the Discord server (which has been there since Discord was in beta, originally as a supplement to the live stream). But the forums aren't being shut down. The plan is to update the existing boards software, see how that goes, and take it from there. Unfortunately, that plan got postponed due to RL issues, so it's still pending. We'll let you know when we know more.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:10 am

Long time coming or not, the site redesign did not include a link to the forums but a link to the discord. Hence my interpretation, even if I confess I am less in the loop than you are.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 am

WearsHats wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 am The site redesign has been a long time coming, and was always planned to promote the Discord server (which has been there since Discord was in beta, originally as a supplement to the live stream). But the forums aren't being shut down. The plan is to update the existing boards software, see how that goes, and take it from there. Unfortunately, that plan got postponed due to RL issues, so it's still pending. We'll let you know when we know more.
Not having a link to the forums on the main page is definitely putting the life of it on the clock. If there are intentions to have a solid forum platform for the remaining oldies (and newbies) that stick around despite the ever-changing environment, then at least some official post here from Ellie would be nice. (Even if it is only "we are working on something, please stick around".)

Does HiveWorks have a forum-related solution? Even if it is only a built-in discussion engine under each individual update, it would be still better than ditching forums completely. (Or could be a temporary solution while the forum is down due to the aforementioned update period).

regarding Discord
► Show Spoiler
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:34 am

Elli is currently recovering from surgery, but I plan to discuss that with her next time I check in.

Discord is a different format from the boards, and I agree it doesn't work as well for things like the remaining active forum games or the translation project. It is a nice community, though, at an activity level I find personally works for me. Enough people around that it feels like there's a community, but not so many that I can't keep up from day to day.

As I said, we'll let you know as things develop. But 2020 was a rough year all around, and some things got back burnered.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler