30 sep. 2020 - A drop

Discuss the comic here!
AnonySimon
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: 30 sep. 2020 - A drop

Post by AnonySimon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:41 pm

I was just thinking and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that Complains broke off the tip of the goblin angel's horn is because Complains asks her if Vorpal passed the test, and Trolls Mortals simply smiles and says "No".

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:18 am

ForgetsKeys wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am Could this be subtle foreshadowing for something?
Probably just the author being repetitive, or forgetting what had been done before. We all think in certain cyclical patterns; it's not uncommon to accidentally have the same "original" idea word-for-word several times, particularly when these occurrences are years apart.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am

ForgetsKeys wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 am Could this be subtle foreshadowing for something?
Well if it wasn't until now, then it might be now. XD

In Kore's case I would too understand it being in the player/NPC perspective. Goblins aren't supposed to become characters on their own, so there not being a pre-made goblin-class that would know levitation (like some template goblin sorcerer) or any high tier boss goblin that would use such a magic item, it's easy for Kore, as player or even villain NPC to remark that goblins aren't supposed to do that.

Like Minmax said Complains shouldn't have been able to simple game-logic-wise hide in the end-of-dungeon loot, little less use the items in it because he's supposed to be an NPC at most.

On Trolls' case it's more strecthy, since she's fully aware of Vorpal being a character. But it might still be a play on the usual expectations, since she instantly goes for the sheet and comments "Oh, a magic item. Of course."

Despite talking to him and checking the stats, for her too the usual is that goblins don't do these exotic magic or use all sorts of magic items (especially since our heroes probably were low-tier goblin mobs to begin with, Chief being of course Goblin Chieftain -template, bug still). Heck, Vorpal might still be some amalgem of basic Goblin-template, character stats and now the Goblin Shaman -template... Talk about book-keeping for the DM. XD
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

elkhantar
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by elkhantar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 am

I must be old, but I'm actually surprised by people by people complaining that levitation doesn't allow for vertical movement. The spell has been that way since the days of the red box IIRC (maybe I'm mixing it with AD&D). I think that actually my first encounter with the levitation word was probably in that book, which may have influenced my perception of the meaning :)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:40 pm

/agree
Google wrote:lev·i·tate
/ˈlevəˌtāt/
verb
rise or cause to rise and hover in the air, especially by means of supernatural or magical power.
"he was focused on levitating the backpack"
Sounds like vertical movement is involved to me. :shrug: