2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Discuss the comic here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 520

2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Generic » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-10-2020

Well, he's back. Did he have a visit across the 4th wall?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

ForgetsHisUID
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 21

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by ForgetsHisUID » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 pm

So, did Herbert take him aside and ask him to rewrite his character?

I mean, being 3/13 of each class, plus a prestige class? He's gonna have trouble with his power progression trying to make that work. Plus, it's just confusing. How do you be both a paladin (who must be Lawful) and a bard (who can't be Lawful)?

User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
Posts: 7687
Location: banned
Contact:

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Krulle » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 am

Generic wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Well, he's back. Did he have a visit across the 4th wall?
https://twitter.com/ArchitectSamson/status/1282159334592372736 wrote: Wait, I can't remember if this was breaking the fourth wall or not! :lol:
https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1282166554403078144 wrote: Goblins actually never breaks the 4th wall. Mentioning character sheets, stats, dice rolls, etc is simply them talking about how the physics of their own world works. In order to break the 4th wall, they'd have to refer to themselves being in a comic or being read by you.
Fee free to discuss if that's a sufficient explanation for you.

https://twitter.com/zeemczed/status/1282160481399119872 wrote: Did...
Did he just tuck some magical flame away in his robe? o_o
https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/status/1282166994087710720 wrote: Ever since Vorpal poured that potion of levitation onto his mustache, it glows in a white flame whenever he's touching it. When his face is on fire, he's just wearing his mustache.
[edit to add, because I finally found it]SVK's character sheet: https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/09032005

So did the clocks send him to his imaginary character sheet?
[/edit]
Last edited by Krulle on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Complains
Remains Silent
Posts: 6

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Complains » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 am

The Feels... "don't call me Fumbles, I never liked it" while there's the "MONSTER" scar forever etched in his head and they're low level, so he's not getting Restoration so soon. Man... this comic can get really, REALLY dark sometimes.

User avatar
GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 22

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by GuessesWildly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am

Well this is interesting...

My most obvious guess would be that Fumbles Vorpal probably traveled through time and then back, seeing as how his disappearance was triggered by touching clocks. He might have experienced or relived many things, learned many lessons, and even leveled up. Maybe he was forced to observe/relive his past, with full knowledge of what his silly antics would end up causing. I would put my money on him having retrained his multiple fractions of a level into a more cohesive build, a wisdom-based spellcasting build, now that he has grown wiser after this harrowing experience.

Oh and an interesting detail; his "MONSTER" scar is now white inside. It was previously brown.

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 520

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Generic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 am

GuessesWildly wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am
Well this is interesting...

My most obvious guess would be that Fumbles Vorpal probably traveled through time and then back, seeing as how his disappearance was triggered by touching clocks. He might have experienced or relived many things, learned many lessons, and even leveled up. Maybe he was forced to observe/relive his past, with full knowledge of what his silly antics would end up causing. I would put my money on him having retrained his multiple fractions of a level into a more cohesive build, a wisdom-based spellcasting build, now that he has grown wiser after this harrowing experience.

Oh and an interesting detail; his "MONSTER" scar is now white inside. It was previously brown.
That would be horrible. If he had a giant leap of character progression that we don't get to experience.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 22

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by GuessesWildly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 am

Generic wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 am
GuessesWildly wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am
Well this is interesting...

My most obvious guess would be that Fumbles Vorpal probably traveled through time and then back, seeing as how his disappearance was triggered by touching clocks. He might have experienced or relived many things, learned many lessons, and even leveled up. Maybe he was forced to observe/relive his past, with full knowledge of what his silly antics would end up causing. I would put my money on him having retrained his multiple fractions of a level into a more cohesive build, a wisdom-based spellcasting build, now that he has grown wiser after this harrowing experience.

Oh and an interesting detail; his "MONSTER" scar is now white inside. It was previously brown.
That would be horrible. If he had a giant leap of character progression that we don't get to experience.
Maybe we'll get a flashback. Would that count as having a flashback of a flashback? :lol: Anyways, all we'd get to see is his facial expressions, maybe a quip to himself here or there. Most of what he'd express while reliving his past would be inner monologue. There's not actually a lot to miss out on. We already know his past.

Also, I can't help but notice him looking down at his mustache while putting it away. Maybe its just me but I see him looking down at it with disappointment, or shame, or regret. He isn't Fumbles, but maybe he's also done being Vorpal. I get a feeling we're gonna hear him make a new name for himself soon. Maybe he'll take on "Monster" in a post-ironic way. Yes, he's a monster, but there's nothing wrong with being a monster. It's what this comic has been teaching us all along, isn't it?

Inspired
Game Master
Posts: 105

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Inspired » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:27 am

He definitely got some leveling up going on. His IME is so strong now, it basically shines through his scars. His change in talk also means he got some intelligence / wisdom boost? I don't know how that's working in D&D terms.

The question is, will his change prompt the others in trying to get on their own journey for a potential level up? Or will they be scared / vary of it seeing what it has done to Vorpal?
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

User avatar
DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 25

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by DrinksTea » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:41 am

OH!

I was not expecting Fumbles Vorpal to return so suddenly.

ARGHHHHHHH we're gonna have to wait till the next comic for any exposition!?!??! LOL: I shall await the next comic even more fervently than usual then!!!

Oh Vorpal: please don't tell me you had to visit the death of your parents (Vorpal's parents on his character sheet that is!): the only way that could have gone down is "brutal".

If Vorpal takes the moustache off, is he still his player-character Senor Vorpal Kickasso? If I remember correctly, he puts the moustache on to become Vorpal... so what does taking it off signify?? (I better stop before I write a dissertation on it).

Inspired wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:27 am
His IME is so strong now, it basically shines through his scars.
I don't think the IME change is significant: when Vorpal distracts Kore it is from the moustache that the magical flames emanate (Vorpal poured the potion on the moustache) and they only really obscure the top part of his face, highlighting his eyes & "MONSTER" scar (his ears still stick out): this time the magical flames from the moustache basically do the same thing. Maybe the flames are a little longer on more white?? (Or maybe this is just a subjective lighting / hood up change??)

Vorpal has a 2nd source of magical flames: his cloak: if you remember back to when the flea demons were attracted to the GAP when they're doing the Teller ceremony, Vorpal pulls the hood over his head and hey presto the cloak has magical flames on the base. I can't remember anything else / find anything else about the cloak... it was one of the surviving items pulled from the LOL-pearl-wall.
GuessesWildly wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:01 am
Oh and an interesting detail; his "MONSTER" scar is now white inside. It was previously brown.
Well spotted! Other than Vorpal's sudden seriousness (but he has demonstrated the ability to do this previously - maybe he'll crack a joke next comic), perhaps the scar changing is the only concrete indication of the passage of time has been greater for Vorpal?


Final comment:
DAMN VORPAL LOOKS WICKED AWESOME FLOATING THERE WITH MOUSTACHE GLOWING & CLOAK ON FIRE!

redfeather
Likes to Contribute
Posts: 248

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by redfeather » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:55 am

The goblins have always had stupid names that they don't particularly like (except probably Thaco and maybe Big Ears, but the latter is inaccurate now). Knowing the comic's author, I'm sure that this isn't what's going to happen, but it seems as if changing names ought to be functionally impossible for these goblins, because otherwise they would have done it long ago. Even for rebels who have taken adventuring classes, they should have trouble going against the traditions which have defined them since the moment of their birth.

Velgar
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 24

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Velgar » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:51 am

Well... If this isn't the artist talking about herself, then I don't know what is. XD
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 1049

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Glemp » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 am

Maybe Vorpal was supposed to be killed, but his classes' conflicting alignments prevented him from being sent to any afterlives.

User avatar
Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 20

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Lightning Lance » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 pm

redfeather wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:55 am
The goblins have always had stupid names that they don't particularly like (except probably Thaco and maybe Big Ears, but the latter is inaccurate now). Knowing the comic's author, I'm sure that this isn't what's going to happen, but it seems as if changing names ought to be functionally impossible for these goblins, because otherwise they would have done it long ago. Even for rebels who have taken adventuring classes, they should have trouble going against the traditions which have defined them since the moment of their birth.
Complains of Names would be absolutely delighted though. And he's the prime candidate for becoming Chief at the moment. Although he probably won't be because he's part demon...

Edit: Oh! Calling it now. They're going to reunite with Dies Horribly and make him Chief (or is he already Chief, technically? Well anyway, they'll probably agree with it).

Edit Edit: oh, and Dies will probably be in favor of changing their names as well. His whole story - and the comic itself - is about changing destiny and challenging preconceived notions.

Sorry for taking you along with my rambly thoughts like that, but I think I convinced myself that you're onto something here. The Goblins choosing their own identities makes complete sense thematically.

Envelops In Love
Remains Silent
Posts: 1

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Envelops In Love » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Velgar wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:51 am
Well... If this isn't the artist talking about herself, then I don't know what is. XD
As an only-recently-out trans girl, I came here to make sure someone had said this! This is such a subtle and effective way to introduce the idea of a deadname to the story!

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5570
Location: Massachusetts

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Lightning Lance wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 pm
Edit: Oh! Calling it now. They're going to reunite with Dies Horribly and make him Chief (or is he already Chief, technically? Well anyway, they'll probably agree with it).
He's not already Chief. He turned it down. https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/07132012
Image Image Image

User avatar
Nina
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 35

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Nina » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:08 am

HI ALL,
Glad Vorpal is back!

Nothing much to add to the stuff above. I also want to find out what happened, next comic please!?!

Hugs, Nina.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 29

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Derkins » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:16 am

I'm guessing what happened is simpler than some of the other guesses. It's possible Vorpal just succeeded on a saving throw and shrugged off whatever bad thing would have happened - perhaps leaving him stuck in time permanently. Sounds like something my DM would do. Thus - making it a point to say he is no longer Fumbles. Not only did he never like it, but it now no longer suits him. He's technically the most powerful of the group now.

Reworking his character sheet is an interesting theory too though! I like it.

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 520

Re: 2020-jul-11 : Please, I never liked it

Post by Generic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:55 pm

I like how he cleaned up the scorch mark when he returned.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Post Reply