April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Discuss the comic here!
Post Reply
Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 38

April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Jon Snow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-4-2020

A short one, but a good one.

I really hope they go after Kore. He's injured and they have Kick-ass-o and his new powers.

User avatar
Nina
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 35

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Nina » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm

Go after him???

Kore has had his skull hacked open & his brain chopped into & exposed, and THAT has not slowed him down.

The goblins should take the win, and get on with their lives!

:?

Hugs, Nina.

redfeather
Likes to Contribute
Posts: 247

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by redfeather » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:36 pm

Surprised that the "Thaco's too old" argument is even being voiced at this point. He's the obvious choice for leadership; even if Complains wasn't turning into a demon, his temper problem makes him an unsuitable candidate. Besides, we already know that his dad was the choice for leadership, not him, and Thaco is still alive for the moment. They can always choose another new chief later, when Thaco dies or is about to die. Arguing about it now is pointless.

(Then again this entire update might be an April Fool's joke....)

I like Biggie's definition of "whining" lol. Instead of complaining about the pain of his former namesake, he's just upset that the party isn't allocating their resources optimally. :)

User avatar
Tofu
Is Heard Often
Posts: 317
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Tofu » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:21 am

Love the update. Many thoughts, please to have character check-in after so many pages of combat and circumstance. Nice sounding character check-in at that. Nice work.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly
Posts: 48

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by ForgetsKeys » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm

Nina wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm
Go after him???

Kore has had his skull hacked open & his brain chopped into & exposed, and THAT has not slowed him down.
On the other hand, the fact that Kore left means he didn't want to continue the fight. Considering his "I'll-kill-anything-even-remotely-evil" attitude, the only reason he would have left is because something bad could have happened to him had he continued the fight. Logically, there must be a way for them to significantly damage him.

But if I were the goblins, as hurt and lost as they are, I probably would have let him go, too. He's not really their problem (as far as they know).

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm
Nina wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm
Go after him???

Kore has had his skull hacked open & his brain chopped into & exposed, and THAT has not slowed him down.
On the other hand, the fact that Kore left means he didn't want to continue the fight. Considering his "I'll-kill-anything-even-remotely-evil" attitude, the only reason he would have left is because something bad could have happened to him had he continued the fight. Logically, there must be a way for them to significantly damage him.

But if I were the goblins, as hurt and lost as they are, I probably would have let him go, too. He's not really their problem (as far as they know).
Apart from their friend being stuck in prolonged torment inside of him?

No. Kore walked off the scene already. Giving chase now would be weird. Kinda leaves them hanging without any motivation right now. They were running, and now they're not running (since they're not being hunted). All they really can do now is to go to hell. Something they have no idea how to do.

Or select a new Chief I guess.

Was I the only one confused by the lighting? I only realized they were walking after a second read through. It's really hard to tell with that closeup and the rather minimalistically drawn environments.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
Feytala
Converses Frequently
Posts: 655
Location: Essen, NRW, Germany

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Feytala » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Generic wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm


Or select a new Chief I guess.



You all realize that the ritual will fail anyway, right? Dies Horribly has been made Chief via the official ceremony ages ago.

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Feytala wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:52 pm
Generic wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm


Or select a new Chief I guess.



You all realize that the ritual will fail anyway, right? Dies Horribly has been made Chief via the official ceremony ages ago.
Or more like 5 days ago.

Good thing you brought that up. I've not considered any of those characters in forever. With this gap since we seen them, and how HELL is BREAKING LOOSE, Junior don't seem like such an urgent problem anymore.

Hopefully a notification will be sent to the old Chief and these threads can be merged again.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5569
Location: Massachusetts

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 pm

Dies wasn't made Chief. He refused the offer.

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/07132012
Image Image Image

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 am

Over 7 years. Oh, that plotline sure is collecting dust at this point. Sad. It has the most interesting characters I think.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
Feytala
Converses Frequently
Posts: 655
Location: Essen, NRW, Germany

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Feytala » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Ha. I remembered it wrong then... So the ceremony was made but he actually said no... And, well. Tbh, for me that plotline was more or less closed. There are other things more important. I asume ultimately his party will merge with the others.

My theory was always that "love will fuel hate and friends become enemies" was independent of "when the serpent becomes your prey". Klik healed dies out of love for his savior / made junior but the hand always was uncontrollable - > Fuels hate and ultimately junior will take over dies and HE will become an enemy, forcing the GAP to actually fight another goblin of their own tribe. You can die horribly more than one time.

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:55 am

Feytala wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:00 pm
Ha. I remembered it wrong then... So the ceremony was made but he actually said no... And, well. Tbh, for me that plotline was more or less closed. There are other things more important. I asume ultimately his party will merge with the others.
[...]
For the same reason I considered Forgaths thread closed when he should have died actually died went after a warped Klik instead of fixing the Hell Holes.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
Shardstorm
Of Few Words
Posts: 91

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Shardstorm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Ears isn't actually blind here is he, they just have to bind his ear wounds, and are trying to do it in a way that he's not blind via the magic of the blindfold?
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

User avatar
Nina
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 35

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Nina » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Generic wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Apart from their friend being stuck in prolonged torment inside of him?
...
Hi all,
My thinking runs along a path like this...

Let us say that the goblins each have a 'combat strength' of 10. (Combat strength is everything that helps fighting, ranged weapons, armor, magic items level, class, etc.) For this last fight, their combat strength was artificially high, because they had figured out how to run that golem thing.

Back when I played D&D I felt that roughly this combat strength doubled every 2 levels.

Let us say that Kore has a combat strength of 400.

If the goblins wait 2 levels before they confront him again, then their total combat strength has gone from 40 to 80.

In a similar amount of time, Kore will likely be the same (or even lower, he has been losing armor lately).

***

Basically, the way D&D works, if their small party survives and keeps levelling up, fighting Kore later will be far better. I agree, they would love to beat Kore NOW, but... but how?

Hugs, Nina.

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 am

Nina wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 pm
Generic wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Apart from their friend being stuck in prolonged torment inside of him?
...
Hi all,
My thinking runs along a path like this...

Let us say that the goblins each have a 'combat strength' of 10. (Combat strength is everything that helps fighting, ranged weapons, armor, magic items level, class, etc.) For this last fight, their combat strength was artificially high, because they had figured out how to run that golem thing.

Back when I played D&D I felt that roughly this combat strength doubled every 2 levels.

Let us say that Kore has a combat strength of 400.

If the goblins wait 2 levels before they confront him again, then their total combat strength has gone from 40 to 80.

In a similar amount of time, Kore will likely be the same (or even lower, he has been losing armor lately).

***

Basically, the way D&D works, if their small party survives and keeps levelling up, fighting Kore later will be far better. I agree, they would love to beat Kore NOW, but... but how?

Hugs, Nina.
Dunno. They had him prone and bleeding, and then he walked off the scene. I don't get the sudden change in Kores character (being an unrelenting gadget-munchkin) but whatever. Perhaps it makes sense in DnD.

You might be right that they need to grind levels for a bit. I don't think that is what happened back there. I think we learned that Kore is beatable, learned that for some reason his Paladin status is crucial (despite him not using any paladin powers in that fight),and that time is of the essence as Chief is being tormented. They clobbered him into submission, but despite this they need to release the souls to be able to do it again? I don't know, nor do I really care.
Kore is gone for now. I'm glad about this, since I'm happy to see them do something else than running from Kore for a while.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
Posts: 7686
Location: banned
Contact:

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Krulle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 am

We don't know if Kore with his knowledge of the Dungeon prepares a trap for the Goblins.
We know that in his eyes the result allows any means, and he has no qualms about using any means, however unethical or unfair.

But indeed, the last fight basically proved Kore is not really killable.

And I wonder if you can even free the souls, you'd first need to know the mechan ics of how the souls are held, and how they're kept available.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

App
Remains Silent
Posts: 1

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by App » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Huh, I just went back through the archive and they've been running/ fighting kore since 2010

User avatar
Generic
Converses Frequently
Posts: 518

Re: April 1st - 2020 - You're Too Old!

Post by Generic » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:20 am

Krulle wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 am
[...]
But indeed, the last fight basically proved Kore is not really killable.

And I wonder if you can even free the souls, you'd first need to know the mechan ics of how the souls are held, and how they're kept available.
That is not what I got away from it. It showed the goblins being able to dish out insane amount of damage on him. Dellyn took a crazy amount of damage and shrugged it off, until he actually ran out of HP and died. Anyone that bothers with such a ridiculous shield together with that armour is somewhere concerned with running out of hitpoints.
He still might be immortal. I just think it's a bit too early to say for sure. The axe of Prissans infodump got retconned, and apart from that we only have speculations from other characters about the nature of Kore. He said himself "I can not die", but that might just have been an expression. The Flea demon asked for him, and he recognized Prissan.
App wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm
Huh, I just went back through the archive and they've been running/ fighting kore since 2010
Yeah. I don't think it would have been too early for him to hit the bucket during this last fight.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Post Reply