Sept 16, 2019 I'm A Monster

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Sept 16, 2019 I'm A Monster

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21-2019

Love SVK getting his big moment. Looks badass and did the job. I'm hoping that FWAOOOSH is some kind of healing magic.

But looks like Big Ears might need a new name. I'm not looking forward to seeing that page.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

wilddeath
Remains Silent

Re: Sept 16, 2019 I'm A Monster

Post by wilddeath » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:39 pm

WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 pm http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21-2019

Love SVK getting his big moment. Looks badass and did the job. I'm hoping that FWAOOOSH is some kind of healing magic.

But looks like Big Ears might need a new name. I'm not looking forward to seeing that page.
yes it was healing magic. the negative numbers went away.

slikmar
Remains Silent

Post by slikmar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm

And, SVK hasn't touched him with the staff yet. Hoping to see if that does anything.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Man, I hope we defeat Kore.

Strawberrycocoa
Mutters to Themself

Post by Strawberrycocoa » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Fumbles bringing that old-school Mercy ult, I love it. "Heroes never die!"

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 pm

WearsHats wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 pm http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21-2019

SVK? You mean SrVK? Took me far to long do dechipher that. I got who you were talking about but the abbreviation confounded me.
Last edited by Generic on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:30 pm Man, I hope we defeat Kore.
"we"?
Feel free while I'm going to hide in one of the other doors a few rooms back...

;)

Superhero landing!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:04 pm

slikmar wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm And, SVK hasn't touched him with the staff yet. Hoping to see if that does anything.
Won't do anything. It is the wielder who can be freed of bonds if I remember correctly. Kore is unarmed though. If he himself reaches for the staff...

Honestly, I think it would be wierd if Kore was thwarted by just touching or picking up a magical weapon. Ears mutilating himself at least feels earned.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 am

One of the better comics in quite awhile.

I really hope that Big Ears hasn't had to cut off his ears, that would be....

well I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is, but it's not a happy word.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 am

AXIS wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 am One of the better comics in quite awhile.

Yes. Him cutting off his ears to conform to a mold of sorts would be all kinds of wrong. In a really bad way.

MinMax (if we don't count his eye), Thaco (if we don't count things that happened before start of the story) and Ears are the ones left without any horribly inflicted mutilations. Yes, they all got scars here and there. But I'm talking things like turning into a demon, having things carved in your forehead, having your lower body blown off. I think I can do without Ears going down the same path. He already shown his willingness to protect others with the LoL-pearl.

(Yes, there is also Grem and Fox. But once I've not seen someone make an appearance in the better part of a decade I tend to count them off.)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:32 am

Pretty sure this teller knew what Ears is doing, since the fortune overload.
And knew Ears could use a nice distraction...

Some sketches:
► Show Spoiler
edit2: added spoiler tags to reduce post length.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 am

I love how Ears-Golem slams Kore into the side of the panel! That's thinking with your fourth wall head!

Kris
Remains Silent

Post by Kris » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 am

I'd really love it if after a while we finally could see how much HP Kore even had, like seeing his character sheet would be amazing.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:19 am

TheOneThatGotAway wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 am I love how Ears-Golem slams Kore into the side of the panel! That's thinking with your fourth wall head!
Yes. That stood out to me as well. Looks really nice.

Korppis
Remains Silent

Post by Korppis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am

Generic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 am

Yes. Him cutting off his ears to conform to a mold of sorts would be all kinds of wrong. In a really bad way.

MinMax (if we don't count his eye), Thaco (if we don't count things that happened before start of the story) and Ears are the ones left without any horribly inflicted mutilations. Yes, they all got scars here and there. But I'm talking things like turning into a demon, having things carved in your forehead, having your lower body blown off. I think I can do without Ears going down the same path. He already shown his willingness to protect others with the LoL-pearl.

(Yes, there is also Grem and Fox. But once I've not seen someone make an appearance in the better part of a decade I tend to count them off.)
Ears lost half of his left hand when he took the blast of the LoL pearl.
I count that worse injury than SrVK:s scarred forehead.

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 am

Is it just me or Kore's crack gets bigger and bigger on each panel? I think something explosive is going to happen...

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 am

Korppis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am

Oh. He did, did he not? That totally went under my radar.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 am

Generic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 am
Korppis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am

Oh. He did, did he not? That totally went under my radar.
He still has 2 fingers and a palm. It limits his hand's functionality a bit, but it's his left hand, and we don't notice it much. Losing your ears is much more disfiguring, appearance-wise, although it doesn't effect his ability to do anything. The fact that almost all of the characters are disfigured at this point makes sense to me. My D&D character has very different physical characteristics now than when she started at LVL 1. Their wounds reflect the intense battles and adventures they've been though. Coming out of it all without more than a few scars or scratches isn't believable to me - they come too close to death too often. They are batting way above their appropriate HD (hit die) (i.e. the challenges they are going through are way above what Lvl 3 and 4 adventurers should be taking on).

I also don't think that cutting his ears off makes him fit into a mold. Goblins are supposed to have ears! Although I guess maybe he cut them smaller instead of cutting them off, but ... yeah it's sad either way. Actually I guess it would make less sense that he wouldn't want to cut them totally off, as I was imagining. They are probably not big now. Yeahhhh ... boo. It's an adorable and charming feature of his - I like when he frets and he tugs at them. But it seems pretty clear that's what happened, to at least some degree. We should brace ourselves for the wounds. :(

Bonus - defeating Kore is a big deal so it could cause them to level up, even if they don't truly kill him and just defeat him in the encounter. They've been through a lot already since their last level up. :) (he's clearly not only cursed but undead, so I can imagine him being left in broken pieces and then later reanimating).

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 am

I'm guessing Ears will likely keep wearing the Golem helmet even after it stops working.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:47 am

Side thought - I like how the monstr glows through the spell (looks kinda badass), and how SrVK / Fumbles claims it in his dialogue. It's like turning it into a badge of his strength and resiliance rather than a scar reflecting his victimhood and degradation. Someone tried to destroy him, but he overcame it, and in this scene it becomes intimidating - and a crest reflecting his identity and story. In this one act of wisdom and power, it's like he truly transitions from the goofy Fumbles of old, to the real deal SrVK. A name that could actually be repeated in seriousness - cause who else could stop Kore in his tracks and turn the battle, and save all of his friends simultaneously - just like that? love it <3

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:06 am

I was sitting here thinking about how tragic it is that Big Ears' name won't match his appearance anymore. Then something occurred to me.

- Chief was not the authentic chief
- Thaco is not just an oldschool goblin - he's supposed to be Chief
- Fumbles became the most powerful and wise of all of them when it comes down to it. He's found ways to overcome his negative stat modifiers.
- Complains of Names stopped complaining about names. He learned to turn his malcontent on his enemies through retaliative action, not just idle complaints.
- Dies Horribly, while yes, he does briefly die horribly, but he lives! He cheats death. Alive and kicking.
- And now he have Big Ears, who will not longer have big ears, or maybe even ears at all.

I guess those opening jokes at the beginning of the comic, like everything else, ended up being a much bigger deal than we realized. The old Teller WAS a terrible fortune teller, and she DID do a terrible job at naming them. None of them, including Saves a Fox, was meant for the destiny that was put on them, by their names, as babies. They were meant to surpass the limits of all the goblins before them. Shedding those old identities allows them to become something that is much more. Ears will lose his ears, but that scar is a reminder of what he did to save all those who Kore would murder, and avenge all those innocents he already killed, including Chief. He should wear the scars proudly. Like his hand, I doubt he'll keep it covered up. Paladins are about honor, they don't care much about vanity.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am

So now we know that Fumbles is still keeping up his /11 levels even after becoming a teller, and we know what level he's at. This is the first confirmation we've gotten of this, right?

I was caught a little off guard by the rage that Big Ears is showing. I mean, a full-out attack on Kore is definitely the right thing to do at the moment, but I thought it would be fueled by trying to protect the other goblins, not to avenge Chief. I guess he acted similarly when One-Eye was killed, but I'm just not used to seeing that side of him.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm

This page reminded me of when Kin got revenge on GS. So. Much. Pent up. Anger.

(Quick reminder)
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

They are going to need to cut Kore into pieces, and scatter the pieces. I wouldn't trust anything less.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm

the Big Yellow is a great Goblin, because if his great deed, his cutting off his Ears makes him Big Ears.

And I dom't think this'll be Kore's end.
As antagonist maybe, although I don't even think that, he'll somehow tell the story, and Big Ears might pu together what happened to him, the Axe, and why the dimensional border is braking down.