Goblins Character Stats

Discuss the comic here!
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5415
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:16 pm

They're in 3.0. They use some of 3.5 and some house rules, though, plus the 4th ed. Soulspike devourer they met in the Battle of Wonder.
Image Image Image

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Rorrik wrote:I was under the impression it had been something like 20 years since Thaco escaped Goblinslayer, probably a misreading of this comment. But Thaco only says he was gone for a few years(ambiguous). We also know he was gone long enough for chief to grow up and take control of the war camp (chief is a newborn when Thaco leaves.

So guess venerable was a stretch, but old seems accurate.
Thaco escaped 7 years ago.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

User avatar
Arles
Game Master
Posts: 132
UStream Username: sir_arles

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Arles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Rorrik wrote:I was under the impression it had been something like 20 years since Thaco escaped Goblinslayer, probably a misreading of this comment. But Thaco only says he was gone for a few years(ambiguous). We also know he was gone long enough for chief to grow up and take control of the war camp (chief is a newborn when Thaco leaves.

So guess venerable was a stretch, but old seems accurate.
Thaco escaped 7 years ago.
Good point.
Is there evidence of the GAP's ages when Thaco was captive/escaped from GS?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 809

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Now if Thaco featured in GBZ then he could have been away for years but only aged a month.

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Goblin Ball Z?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 809

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Goblin Ball Z?
:cheer:

User avatar
Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes
Posts: 150

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Rorrik » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Thaco escaped 7 years ago.
Good catch, the story makes it sound like he hurried home after that.

We know Complains and Chief were both infants when Thaco left, and we can guess Chief was old enough to be running things for real when Thaco returned because he was the one who let him back into the warcamp. Old enough to lead for a goblin is probably like 10 years, right?

Does a lifespan of 30 years mean necessarily that that is the age of death? I would take it as more of an average, and so it would just mean that most goblins die before getting to venerable and the Middle-Age=20, Old=30, Venerable=40 split could work. Thaco already had a child when he left, so he was older, maybe 15-20, was gone for 10ish years, and then hung around for a while after returning(maybe 5 years). If those assumptions are right then he is 30-35 years old. If any of them are high, then he could still be Middle Age, but I don't think he's venerable yet.

User avatar
Arles
Game Master
Posts: 132
UStream Username: sir_arles

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Arles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:36 am

Rorrik wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Thaco escaped 7 years ago.
Good catch, the story makes it sound like he hurried home after that.

We know Complains and Chief were both infants when Thaco left, and we can guess Chief was old enough to be running things for real when Thaco returned because he was the one who let him back into the warcamp. Old enough to lead for a goblin is probably like 10 years, right?

Does a lifespan of 30 years mean necessarily that that is the age of death? I would take it as more of an average, and so it would just mean that most goblins die before getting to venerable and the Middle-Age=20, Old=30, Venerable=40 split could work. Thaco already had a child when he left, so he was older, maybe 15-20, was gone for 10ish years, and then hung around for a while after returning(maybe 5 years). If those assumptions are right then he is 30-35 years old. If any of them are high, then he could still be Middle Age, but I don't think he's venerable yet.
Sadly, I think that's a lot of speculation to count as evidence for the premise of this thread.
We could say he's very likely "old", but unless we can come up with clearer data, I find it hard to pinpoint it as a fact.
There might be some hidden hints we haven't fount yet, though.

shufly
Remains Silent
Posts: 7

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by shufly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm

could we use this to just go with the old category? (last panel)

User avatar
Arles
Game Master
Posts: 132
UStream Username: sir_arles

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Arles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 am

shufly wrote:could we use this to just go with the old category? (last panel)
As a matter of fact... that's as straightforward as it gets! :lol:

User avatar
Alarikun
Of Few Words
Posts: 82

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Alarikun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm

THAC0 has at least 1, if not both of his cane swords in http://www.goblinscomic.com/01212011-2/

That is the last time we see the GAP.

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm

And you say this because...?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

User avatar
Alarikun
Of Few Words
Posts: 82

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Alarikun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:And you say this because...?
Because we list items under the Character Stats, and THAC0 is missing his canes, even though the last time we saw him, he had at least 1 of them.

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5415
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:40 pm

He is missing one. It broke during the sewer fight with Goblinslayer.
Image Image Image

User avatar
Alarikun
Of Few Words
Posts: 82

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Alarikun » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm

RocketScientist wrote:He is missing one. It broke during the sewer fight with Goblinslayer.
Ah, didn't know that... or forgot it. Either way, he has one, and it should be noted.

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 901
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Sorry, I was under the impression that you were continuing the discussion about Thaco's age and it mostly seemed out of nowhere.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5415
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Found the page. It broke here: http://www.goblinscomic.com/05262009/ After that he only ever has one of them.

Also...
Rorrik wrote:We know Complains and Chief were both infants when Thaco left, and we can guess Chief was old enough to be running things for real when Thaco returned because he was the one who let him back into the warcamp. Old enough to lead for a goblin is probably like 10 years, right?
Chief was 9 when he died. http://www.goblinscomic.com/01032009/
Image Image Image

User avatar
Miryafa
Whispers Softly
Posts: 52
UStream Username: Miryafa

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Miryafa » Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 am

Psimax:
  • Although it's not hard evidence, Psimax implies he's a telepath here when he says "I traded in my ability to control minds for extra intelligence".
  • Of the powers we've seen him use, one is likely Psionic Dimension Door, which would put him at minimum level 7.
  • Said power would also give him a minimum Int 14.
  • His powers known almost certainly include Psionic Levitate, the torture scene implies Inflict Pain may be another, and disappearing before MM hit him implies Touchsight or Ubiquitous Vision is a third. The disappearing is possibly Psionic Dimension Door, since the maze seems to be small enough to allow it and any psion can learn it.

User avatar
RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently
Posts: 526

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RedwoodElf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Since nobody has mentioned stats for Chief's spear, here goes:

Spear of Splitting: Thrown weapon (+1 to hit, 1D4S, 1D6M) does additional 1d6 electric damage per hit. Used as a meele weapon, still has +1 to hit but gets no other special bonuses.

Special: When thrown, the spear spawns 1D6 additional identical spears, aimed at the same general area as the main spear. Despite it's flimsy appearance, the spear flies quite straight, giving a +1 bonus to hit The thrower rolls to hit for each spear on his primary target. Any spears that miss the main target have a chance of striking other targets near the target (roll DC 15 Reflex save for each potential target within a line passing through the target and to 5 feet on either side, starting with the one closest to the thrower and extending out to maximum spear range (or until it strikes a solid object) for each spear until all spears have been accounted for. At the end of the round in which it was thrown, the spear (and all spawned spears) vanish, and the primary spear appears back in the hands of the thrower.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)
Image
- Image

User avatar
RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 818
Location: New Zealand

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:10 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:Special: When thrown, the spear spawns 1D6 additional identical spears, aimed at the same general area as the main spear.
I don't think 1D6 extra spears is right. I can't find a page with anything other than the spear splitting into 5 spears.
pink - grey - blue - pink - red - green - yellow - white - black - blue - purple - green - orange - yellow - dark grey - green - yellow -

User avatar
RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently
Posts: 526

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by RedwoodElf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 am

RidcullyJack wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:Special: When thrown, the spear spawns 1D6 additional identical spears, aimed at the same general area as the main spear.
I don't think 1D6 extra spears is right. I can't find a page with anything other than the spear splitting into 5 spears.
As a DM, I'd prefer a random number...while it's perfectly within the realm of probability to roll a "4" that many times in a row, you could make it 1D3+2 instead, so "4" is an average result instead of 3.5
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)
Image
- Image

User avatar
Drevvy
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 13

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Drevvy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Rorrik wrote: We know he was around in first edition,
I thought that the term THAC0 was introduced in the second edition.
The first edition had a small complex charts that showed you the same information.

OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly
Posts: 45

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by OnceUponATime » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am

shouldn't ears have the ability to summon a horse (as a lvl 4 paladin?)

User avatar
Master TMO
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 142

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Master TMO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 am

OnceUponATime wrote:shouldn't ears have the ability to summon a horse (as a lvl 4 paladin?)
Has he reached 4th? I must've missed that - I saw 3rd after Saral Caine. At any rate, it'd probably be a 'mount', not specifically a horse. So maybe a wolf or worg?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 809

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:13 am

A giant weasel! :D

Post Reply