22 July 2019 - Thudthump

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: 22 July 2019 - Thudthump

Post by Tofu » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:08 pm

A reminder on KORE being really really old, and how WIS stat's operate in this D&D universe.

"Due to his age, Biscuit has a very high Wisdom score, since creatures in the Goblins realm getting a stackable bonus to Wisdom the longer they live. As Sense Motive is a Wisdom-based skill, Biscuit is easily able to tell when he's being lied to."

I think Kore is going to be demonstrating more attributes of stackable stats shortly .. epeciallly if he calls the Golem a "Gimmick"

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm What is happening?
Kore tosses the Golem, to the side? In front of him? Behind him? The wall behind him is gone in a grey void so I got no sense of direction or distance anymore. Alright, I get the flippy cool tumbly monk part. But what is happening then? Thaco catches Kores arm and breaks the elbow? He blocks/catches it with his right arm, strikes Kores arm with a loud "CRACK" and show of pain from Kore, and then he swithes hands to hold it with his left?
Is Kore hurt? Was the CRACK the armor breaking? But it was in the Golem font? Why was half the page devoted to Thaco landing and so little used to explain the grapple, the helmet switch and the fact that Kore seems to hear them now? Kore is looking over the shoulder for the voices. Why is he charging the dungeon gimmick he just threw? AWAY from the place he knows the pilots to be?

** text omitted **
If you look closely at the "crack" panel, you can see blood drops flying.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:34 am

rwstyles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:53 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm What is happening?
Kore tosses the Golem, to the side? In front of him? Behind him? The wall behind him is gone in a grey void so I got no sense of direction or distance anymore. Alright, I get the flippy cool tumbly monk part. But what is happening then? Thaco catches Kores arm and breaks the elbow? He blocks/catches it with his right arm, strikes Kores arm with a loud "CRACK" and show of pain from Kore, and then he swithes hands to hold it with his left?
Is Kore hurt? Was the CRACK the armor breaking? But it was in the Golem font? Why was half the page devoted to Thaco landing and so little used to explain the grapple, the helmet switch and the fact that Kore seems to hear them now? Kore is looking over the shoulder for the voices. Why is he charging the dungeon gimmick he just threw? AWAY from the place he knows the pilots to be?

** text omitted **
If you look closely at the "crack" panel, you can see blood drops flying.
Yes. I can see that. Does that matter in any way, or is it just to show that a few more of Kores five-zillion hp dropped?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am

Zeus1976 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:44 pm I don't understand how people are finding this difficult to follow.

Kore throws golem, which Thac0 uses his monk skills to acrobatics right himself, he gets into his stance, angry kore charges and slap bang wallop. Kore is then grappled.

As another user has said use imagination to fill in any blanks.
(emphasis mine)

How? The golem is flying through the air. Thaco is standing on the ground. The golem is copying everything Thaco does. If they do not start in the same orientation in regards to the ground, what possible move can Thaco make that lands them both on their feet?
If you look at the first panel, Kore is throwing the golem backwards at a slight upward angle. Let's ignore for a moment that this is completely inconsistent with the way Kore was holding him up in the previous page.
In order to perform the shown backflip, Thaco would have to throw back his arms and arch his back quite far, in order to move the golem's center of mass and create rotational force. Doing this while standing will make him keel over backwards. Even if he can turn that into a backflip, he starts closer to the ground and thus would hit the ground earlier than the golem. Considering he wouldn't even see when he hits the ground, he'd likely hurt his hand/arm severely and thus interrupt the golem's flip.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:27 am

Morgaln wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am
Zeus1976 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:44 pm I don't understand how people are finding this difficult to follow.

Kore throws golem, which Thac0 uses his monk skills to acrobatics right himself, he gets into his stance, angry kore charges and slap bang wallop. Kore is then grappled.

As another user has said use imagination to fill in any blanks.
(emphasis mine)

How? The golem is flying through the air. Thaco is standing on the ground. The golem is copying everything Thaco does. If they do not start in the same orientation in regards to the ground, what possible move can Thaco make that lands them both on their feet?
If you look at the first panel, Kore is throwing the golem backwards at a slight upward angle. Let's ignore for a moment that this is completely inconsistent with the way Kore was holding him up in the previous page.
In order to perform the shown backflip, Thaco would have to throw back his arms and arch his back quite far, in order to move the golem's center of mass and create rotational force. Doing this while standing will make him keel over backwards. Even if he can turn that into a backflip, he starts closer to the ground and thus would hit the ground earlier than the golem. Considering he wouldn't even see when he hits the ground, he'd likely hurt his hand/arm severely and thus interrupt the golem's flip.
I've decided that it's Fumbles who acted out the mental commands, despite it not actually being a requirement.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Hmm, so seeing Kore's head - the hell planes are leaking out through him, aren't they? It wasn't so clear before, but seems he could be the device the demons intend to use to break into the material plane.

In which case, sounds like a bad idea to keep doing damage to him.

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:44 am

Morgaln wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am
Zeus1976 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:44 pm(...)which Thac0 uses his monk skills to acrobatics right himself(...)
(...)
(...)
The golem is magically replicating Thac0's moves, but we don't know that Thac0 isn't also magically replicating the golem's (forced from outside by Kore) moves too. Thac0 might well have been floating horizontally in the air when Kore was holding the golem up, and when it was thrown away, the goblin monk performed his backflip.
That's what I would expect from a magic gimmick anyway.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:21 am

Or the golem uses character-type moves to get itself into the pilot's position once it can move.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 am

"What is happening?"
I very rarely have issues with the gaps in the action, due to the way the comic is laid out. I think it's because I'm almost as big a D&D nerd as Elli.
Of course, In D&D you roll for the success of actions, the DM gives you a basic description of what happens and whether your attempt is successful. You then imagine what the gaps in the action. Likewise in a comic - it's not a movie - you can't see every frame of what happens.
- On the last page when Kore goes from being choked out to holding the golem above his head, I think: "Kore succeeded a strength and athletics check and so was able to escape the grapple and lift the golem over his head. He may have a feat/special skill that gives him advantage on being able to escape grapple, or more likely just a scary high modifier bonus that comes into play in strength/athletics competitions. (I play 2nd and 5th ed. 3.5 never made a lick of sense to me lol)
- On this page I see Kore charge at the goelm and the golem parries it, after performing the tumble skill. Clearly our monk is using his special skills and he's rolled well. No more explanation needed. Didn't need to see it was ThAco wearing the helmet. Right now, once again, Kore has the ability to break the grapple. He's done it before so we know he's capable of rolling high enough to do so. We'll see what happens! D:
I'm guessing you can't 'finish' kore off in a single round anyway. >.>